Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,710 members, 7,831,219 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

Early Reactions To The Quran - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Early Reactions To The Quran (1391 Views)

Reactions To Westgate Murders By Muslim Scholars/imams / Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Early Reactions To The Quran by tbaba1234: 5:14pm On Jul 30, 2013
Muslims believe that the Quran is a miracle but if you ask the average muslim, what makes the Quran a miracle? He'd probably come up with some scientific phenomenon, historical facts or predictions in the Quran. Personally,i am not convinced of some of that stuff, we have to be true to the language. The verses with scientific phenomenon or historical statements are few. Do you believe that every single ayat is a miracle The Quran did not become a miracle in the 20th century when most scientific phenomenon were discovered. How many of these things were known to the arabs of that time.

It was a miracle from the time of revelation. Unfortunately, most muslims have lost the appreciation of the miracle of the Quran from this perspective.

So what was it that mesmerised the early arabs at the time of the revelation? such that even disbelievers were stunned by the book... Id share three stories.

Story 1:

The first story is that of AT-TUFAIL IBN `AMR AD-DAWSIY, He was a gifted poet, was famous and was a leader of his tribe. He used to frequent mecca. At the beginning of the prophet's (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) mission, At-Tufail paid a visit to mecca. He was met at the outside of the city by the Quraish who were scared that he would meet the prophet, be enchanted and convert to Islam so the Quraish said :

"He has charming speech like magic and he makes division between a man and his son, and a man and his brother, and a man and his wife.I fear for you and your people from him. So do not talk to him nor listen to any talk from him."

Let us listen to At-Tufail himself telling the remainder of the story:So by Allah, they were still insisting on my not listening to anything from him and not meeting him. And when I went over to the Ka'bah, I filled my ears with cotton so as not to hear anything he had to say when he spoke.There I found him standing praying at the Ka' bah, so I stood close to him.Allah refused nothing but He made me hear some portion of what he was reading.I heard a fine speech, and I said to myself, "Oh, may I lose my mother! Indeed I am an intelligent poet. I would not fail to recognize the good from the ugly. What is it that hinders me from listening to the man and what he says? If that which he brings is good, I should accept it, and if it is bad...."

I stayed until Muhammad departed to his house. I followed him until heentered his house, so I entered behind him and said to him, "O Muhammad,verily your people have told me such-and-such about you. By Allah, they kept making me afraid of you until I blocked my ears with cotton in order notto hear your words. But Allah willed that I hear, so I heard a fine speech.Set forth to me your message."

So the Messenger presented to me Islam and recited to me from the Qur'aan. By Allah, I had never heard a speech better than it, nor a matter more just than it. So, I surrendered and bore witness to the truth.

END (More on AT-TUFAIL IBN `AMR AD-DAWSIY can be found here: ('Men around the messenger by Khaalid Muhammad Khaalid' http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=6&chapter=59)

It is interesting that the Quraish would call the words magic; it shows the effect the Quran had even on disbelievers in ancient arabia.... Remember we are talking of a people at the peak of eloquence. Does it have that kind of effect on the believers today. I am not talking of those who have studied the sciences of the Quran. I am talking of average non-arab speaking believers....

Story 2

The second story gives an insight as to why the leaders of the Quraish rejected the Quran even though they were stunned by it... Abu Jahl, Abu Sufyan Sakhr bin Harb and Al-Akhnas bin Shurayq were the leaders of the Quraish but they will sneak to the house of the prophet to listen to the Quran.

Abu Jahl, Abu Sufyan Sakhr bin Harb and Al-Akhnas bin Shurayq once came to listen to the Prophet reciting the Qur'an at night, but these three men were not aware of the presence of each other. So they listened to the Prophet's recitation until the morning, and then left.

They met each other on their way back and each one of them asked the others, "What brought you!''

So they mentioned to each other the reason why they came. They vowed not to repeat this incident so that the young men of Quraysh would not hear of what they did and imitate them.

On the second night, each one of the three came back thinking that the other two would not come because of the vows they made to each other. In the morning, they again met each other on their way back and criticized each other, vowing not to repeat what they did.

On the third night, they again went to listen to the Prophet and in the morning they again vowed not to repeat this incident.

During that day, Al-Akhnas bin Shurayq took his staff and went to Abu Sufyan bin Harb in his house saying, "O Abu Hanzalah! What is your opinion concerning what you heard from Muhammad.''

Abu Sufyan said, "O Abu Thalabah! By Allah, I have heard some things that I recognize and know their implications. I also heard some things whose meaning and implications were unknown to me.''

Al-Akhnas said, "And I the same, by He Whom you swore by!''

Al-Akhnas left Abu Sufyan and went to Abu Jahl and asked him, "O Abu Al-Hakam! What is your opinion about what you heard from Muhammad.''

Abu Jahl said, "We competed with Bani Abd Manaf (the Prophet's sub tribe) and so we fed as they fed and gave away as they gave away. So, when we were neck and neck with them, just as two horses in a race, they said, `There is a Prophet from among us, to whom revelation from the heaven comes.' So how can we ever beat them at that! By Allah we will never believe in him or accept what he says.'

This is when Al-Akhnas left Abu Jahl and went away.''

END (Reported by Muhammad bin Ishaq through Az-Zuhri)

Even the worst enemies of Islam would sneak up to listen to the recitation of the Quran, wow... They just couldn't accept him due to pride and tribal rivalries.. Do you as a believer sneak up to listen to the words of Allah? These were a people at the peak of eloquence, this book brought their best poets and their greatest leaders to their knees... Here, they refuse the message because of the one it was conveyed through.

They were mesmerized by the style of the Quran. Abu sufyan became muslim later on.

Story 3:

Utbah bin Rabi'ah (the father-in-law of Abu Sufyan) went to the prophet and presented some proposals to him on the authority of the chiefs of the Quraish. He said, "Nephew, if by what you are doing, you want wealth, we will give you enough of it so that you will be the richest man among us; if you want to became an important man, we will make you our chief and will never decide a matter without you; if you want to be a king, we will accept you as our king; and if you are visited by a jinn, whom you cannot get rid of by your own power, we will arrange the best physicians and have you treated at our own expense."

The prophet replied by reciting surah fussilat: when during the recitation the Holy Prophet had come to verse 13, viz."If they turn away, say to them: I warn you of a thunderbolt the like of which had visited the Ad and the Thamud,"Utbah had spontaneously placed his hand on the Holy Prophet's mouth, and said: "For God's sake, have mercy on your people."... His face had changed,

He returns back to his people; they saw him from afar, and said: "By God! Utbab's face is changed. He does not look the same man that he was when he went from here." Then, when he came back and sat down, the people asked, "What have you heard?" He replied, "By God! I have heard something the like of which I had never heard before. By God, it's neither poetry, nor sorcery, nor magic. O chiefs of the Quraish, listen to what I say and leave this man to himself. I think what he recites is going to have its effect. If the other Arabs overcome him, you will be saved from raising your band against your brother, and the others will deal with him. But if he overcame Arabia, his sovereignty would be your sovereignty and his honor your honor." Hearing this the chiefs spoke out:"You too, O father of Walid, have been bewitched by his tongue." Utbah replied, "I have given you my opinion; now you may act as you please."
(reported by several traditions,Ibn Hisham, vol. I, pp. 313-314)

This was the reaction of the early disbelievers to the Quran; It is a shame that many muslims today do not feel the same effect for the words of Allah as those disbelievers felt...

So why do think the effect of the Quran is lost among some muslims today? Once we can regain that connection, we will be a different ummah....

1 Like

Re: Early Reactions To The Quran by showietee: 7:39pm On Jul 31, 2013
Subhanallah... Alhamdulilahi.... Laila illalahu.... Allahu akbar....

This our time had already been talked about...

Time in which people will read quran but it won't have effect.

Due to our exposure to unlawful thing... Music, interest, zina, falsehoods, slandering, back-biting,namima.... Etc etc

May Allah save us all.

(1) (Reply)

For Your Maxi Skirts, Dresses, Abayas And Brooches *pics* / Ten Things You Will Never Benefit From / Is Contraception Allowed In Islam???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.