Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,264 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Nigerian, Teju Cole, Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nigerian, Teju Cole, Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel (1129 Views)

Soldiers Of The Jihad- A First Novel / Meet Flora Nwapa, Africa`s First Woman Novelist And First Novel Publisher / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian, Teju Cole, Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by supereagle(m): 4:56am On Mar 08, 2012
Nigerian writer and blogger, Teju Cole, has won this year’s Hemingway Foundation/PEN Award for a ‘distinguished’ first book of fiction.

PEN New England, a regional branch of the international writers organisation, and the Hemingway Foundation announced on Tuesday that Cole, 36, would receive $10,000 for ‘Open City.’

Cole’s story of a Nigerian doctor’s physical and spiritual journey also is a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle award. The author grew up in Nigeria and currently lives in New York City.

The Hemingway award was founded in 1976 by Mary Hemingway, widow of the Nobel laureate. Previous winners of the Hemingway prize include Marilynne Robinson and Edward P. Jones.

According to his website, tejucole.com, he is a writer, art historian, street photographer and Distinguished Writer in Residence at Bard College.

It says he was “born in the US (1975) to Nigerian parents, raised in Nigeria. Lives in Brooklyn. Author of two books, a novella, Every Day is for the Thief, and a novel, Open City (which won the PEN/Hemingway Award and was shortlisted for the National Book Critics Circle Award). Contributor to the New York Times, Qarrtsiluni, Chimurenga, the New Yorker, Transition, Tin House, A Public Space, etc. Currently at work on a book-length non-fiction narrative of Lagos, and on Small Fates.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/nigerian-teju-cole-wins-10000-award-for-first-novel/
Re: Nigerian, Teju Cole, Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by tubolancer(m): 11:15am On Mar 10, 2012
Congratulation Teju Cole.
Re: Nigerian, Teju Cole, Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by Seun(m): 12:20am On Mar 15, 2012
Cool. That guy has always been great.
Re: Nigerian, Teju Cole, Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by thaira(f): 2:40pm On Mar 19, 2012
Wow. Way to go. I was going to buy the book Open City at Patabah but decided I wanted it as a gift instead. It was going for the price of 3 good books. *shrug*, there will be a book fair and I'll be there for my (by then) much cheaper copy.

(1) (Reply)

A Thread To Share Links To Nairaland Stories. / The Addiction That Almost Ruined My Life / Why The Hyena Limps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.