Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,158 members, 7,957,316 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:56 AM

Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? (18570 Views)

Carpet Grass Car In Akure That Has Got Everyone Talking: (photos) / SUV Climbs Over Another Car In Accident On Oshodi-apapa Road (photos) / Is It Better To Buy A Car Outright Or To Buy Using A Loan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by awhydot: 12:04pm On Mar 12, 2012
Pls forum, advise me. I'm torn between getting a car here in Nigeria and getting someone to send one from the states. Which is better, cheaper, more reliable and easier?
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Bongoman1: 1:27pm On Mar 12, 2012
Put your hands where your eyes can see.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by ndidibabe(f): 1:28pm On Mar 12, 2012
If it is a used car, then, the devil you see is better than the Angel you have not seen. I hope you get me..Good luck!
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Fhemmmy: 1:31pm On Mar 12, 2012
If you have someone reliable in the USA to get you something and your trust his or her judgement, i would advice you to go that route, you will not only save money, you will be sure of what you are buying, and not a lemon for an angel.
However, that being said, i am sure there are numerous and reliable dealers in Nigeria as well, just that you have to be careful while choosing one.
Also, if you dont have the patience of waiting for the ride, then, get something in Nigeria.
Good luck
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by mkmyers45(m): 1:33pm On Mar 12, 2012
Why are you looking for what is in your shokoto in sokoto?
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Joeblis(m): 1:43pm On Mar 12, 2012
On my prospective is beter u buy it here in 9ja...shippg is somehow dengarous,the ship may capsize and u lose

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by fm7070: 1:51pm On Mar 12, 2012
[b][/b]the question is someone to trust.
is the person willing to do this for you? don't force people abroad to do anything for you.
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by omar22(m): 1:53pm On Mar 12, 2012
It depends on where you live? I have seen cars that they sell in Nigeria... am sorry I am not pleased!! I would be travelling from UK to Germany soon to buy what I want and ship it to Nigeria (If I was looking for a US Spec, then I have family members in Chicago that would help me... Its hard for me to get my head round what I see as a total rip off!!!

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by johnbob: 2:07pm On Mar 12, 2012
if you get relative in USA is good getting ride over there coz is cheap and much reliable than getting a ride in Benin,i must tell you.
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by gulfer: 2:09pm On Mar 12, 2012
If you've got someone who can do the wahala of purchase abroad, it s a hell better than buying off dealers in Nigeria (Not NL-dealers o) but the countless horde of unscrupulous dealers in Nigeria. My SUV came from the US and i tell you apart from regular routine oil change and mandatory tire change (tires are not good for long in our climate if they'd been used in snow weather)for me, it has been pretty smooth. I know some people are unlucky to get bad deals even from abroad but this is largely very rare as against the prevalence in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Fhemmmy: 2:17pm On Mar 12, 2012
Joeblis: On my prospective is beter u buy it here in 9ja...shippg is somehow dengarous,the ship may capsize and u lose

There is insurance on the vessel, not like Nigeria where you lose it all . .

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Fhemmmy: 2:18pm On Mar 12, 2012
fm7070: [/b]the question is someone to trust.
is the person willing to do this for you? don't force people abroad to do anything for you.

[b]It is not about forcing people in Abroad, it is about people asking for the impossibilities, and expecting people to drop all they doing and just take care of what people need.
Also, with the stories of how people question how you help them, many people now frown at helping . .
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 12, 2012
mkmyers45: Why are you looking for what is in your shokoto in sokoto?
When av u ever heard of such story?
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by CollinsLeSkillzMadumere(m): 3:08pm On Mar 12, 2012
can u endure the wait?
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Ournaija: 3:34pm On Mar 12, 2012
The wait can be tortuous but at the end you will smile. It took me like 3.5 months for the one I ordered to arrive. It`s one story today and another tomorrow. I had to transfer money like thrice before the car left their shore. I never regretted it there after. I got a good full option car and cheaper compared to what you will get from a dealer you are not even sure. You may be lucky to get it faster than I, if you are the patient type give it a try. If you are not, no try am because una fit dey throw bottles at each other from US to Naija grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Ournaija: 3:36pm On Mar 12, 2012
The wait can be tortuous but at the end you will smile. It took me like 3.5 months for the one I ordered to arrive. It`s one story today and another tomorrow. I had to transfer money like thrice before the car left their shore. I never regretted it there after. I got a good full option carYou may be lucky to get it faster than I, if you are the patient type give it a try. If you are not, no try am because una fit dey throw bottles at each other from US to Naija grin
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by FlyboyZee: 3:50pm On Mar 12, 2012
Bros, my elder bros was once swindled on such "buy it from America" deals. The sevond time, he was lucky to get a sweet powerful clesn Toyota SUV which was worth his while. But, I must warn you like every other person that the wait could really be heart-rending.
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by henry247(m): 4:01pm On Mar 12, 2012
@ournaija.u r just too funny.I almost died laughing
.an impatient man cannot go dis jorney.
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Fhemmmy: 4:20pm On Mar 12, 2012
Flyboy Zee: Bros, my elder bros was once swindled on such "buy it from America" deals. The sevond time, he was lucky to get a sweet powerful clesn Toyota SUV which was worth his while. But, I must warn you like every other person that the wait could really be heart-rending.

When you deal with people that will update you as needed . . . You will be fine
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by kukus01(m): 4:47pm On Mar 12, 2012
be warned my guy..... cryif i had listened i wouldnt be waiting for the car i paid in full for since september 2011 till now its still one story after another angry!!! guy just find ya car for lagos there!!! to be fore warned is to be fore harmed!!! a word is enough for the wise!!!!
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by dasparrow: 4:48pm On Mar 12, 2012
Ournaija: The wait can be tortuous but at the end you will smile. It took me like 3.5 months for the one I ordered to arrive. It`s one story today and another tomorrow. I had to transfer money like thrice before the car left their shore. I never regretted it there after. I got a good full option carYou may be lucky to get it faster than I, if you are the patient type give it a try. If you are not, no try am because una fit dey throw bottles at each other from US to Naija grin

LOL grin
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Goodn9ja: 4:53pm On Mar 12, 2012
@awhydot,i live in LA if you need help getting a car in the US i may be of hellp.
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by flexdee(m): 5:21pm On Mar 12, 2012
If you have the right person to do this for you...I think US deal is the best.
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by pato2k2: 5:26pm On Mar 12, 2012
All been said. What is the price difference? What is the average price of a car manufactured not later than 2002, plus shipping and clearing? For example an EOD which is sold on the average for 1.6 million here in Nigeria, what would it cost if it was to be bought and shipped from Europe or America...
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Sylverbox(m): 5:35pm On Mar 12, 2012
Guy, beta use ur eye, take ur hand choose a car 4 lagos there, or cheaper u go 2 cotonou, my sis paid 4 a corolla since sept last yr in america, till now she neva see d car, she had 2 go buy a tear rubber in Ph, cos she needed mobility! Be wise!
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by BaBaMike: 6:10pm On Mar 12, 2012
flexdee: If you have the right person to do this for you...I think US deal is the best.

True Talk
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Osama10(m): 6:16pm On Mar 12, 2012
Hmmmn,I have tasted all the sides from failed Pre-order to successful Pre-order.I must confess the wait is killing,but at the end you'll smile if you deal with the right guys here.

As for Cotonou I don't think I would ever try it again,when the car landed I was so disappointed with everything about the car.

For cars on ground just get the Vin and see what carfax says,my 2 pence.
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by Fhemmmy: 7:05pm On Mar 12, 2012
kukus01: be warned my guy..... cryif i had listened i wouldnt be waiting for the car i paid in full for since september 2011 till now its still one story after another angry!!! guy just find ya car for lagos there!!! to be fore warned is to be fore harmed!!! a word is enough for the wise!!!!

Have heard so much of this kinda story before and when you read between the line, you will see that the buyer opt to deal with the lowest price and not the best service.
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by omar22(m): 8:34pm On Mar 12, 2012
All been said. What is the price difference? What is the average price of a car manufactured not later than 2002, plus shipping and clearing? For example an EOD which is sold on the average for 1.6 million here in Nigeria, what would it cost if it was to be bought and shipped from Europe or America...

EOD is not a European model
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by olubainc: 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2012
The best advised I have heard is from Fhemmy, a lot of people commenting and are only focusing on one side of the argument. As a car dealer here on nairaland and based in the US, it is tempting for me to quickly advise you to order from the US. But in the spirit of promoting nairaland as a forum to receive untainted information, here is my take on your question. It all boils down to same thing Fhemmy said, do you have someone you trust. Preferably a trusted dealer rather than just an individual who doesn't know much about cars. Ordering from the US can save you a lot of money if done right, use a reputable dealer. Also do some personal research on your own, cut you coat according to your size. Do not try and get a car that has a retail price of about 1 million in Nigeria for 500k including shipping and clearing in the US. So be realistic with how much you are looking into saving, my take is that you can save up to 100k to 200k when you order direct from the US. Also some cars in Nigeria, have heard their mileage pushed back and their qualities are questionable. Although this is not always true for every car in Nigeria. Giving a family member or friend money to buy a car is not the safest option. There is a lot that goes into purchasing and successfully delivery a car to Nigeria. Friends and family might not be up to the task. In conclusion ask yourself, how much do I have, do I know a reputable dealer and do I car to know the history of the car? Feel free to visit our page on facebook to see what we are doing, will be more than happy to answer any questions you have to put you at ease and make your decision making process easier.
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by olubainc: 8:50pm On Mar 12, 2012
I have also read a lot of comment about the wait being to long, which is sometimes true. There are ways to eliminate and reduce the wait. There is at least a ship leaving every month from the US, in some cities twice a month. One reason for a long wait is if adequate money is not sent upfront. I have clients that will send their money and the car is on the way to the port the next day. Have your dealer find the vehicle and possible negotiate deal ahead of time. It might mean you pay a little more because the dealer is negotiating for the car and not letting the car go to auction. Buying the car from the auction is usually about 500 dollars cheaper in some cases and in other cases actually more expensive. If its an expensive car, I prefer going to the dealer or seller to negotiate the deal. This gives me enough time to properly inspect the car and buys me time. Also when you walk to a dealer or a seller with cash, you can save as much as buying the car from an auction(clean auction). In a case where the deal has been negotiated ahead of time, there is nothing stopping your agent from purchasing the car the next day you make your deposit and have the vehicle at the port the following day. Now this is where the fault of the buyer comes in, sometimes buyers are looking for ridiculous deals that are not necessarily impossible to find but they are hard to find. Finding deals like that sometimes require patience which buyers fail to understand, buyers often start counting right from the day they make payments.
Re: Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In? by miky(m): 8:52pm On Mar 12, 2012
awhydot: Pls forum, advise me. I'm torn between getting a car here in Nigeria and getting someone to send one from the states. Which is better, cheaper, more reliable and easier?

a friend of mine owns a dealership here in the states, what kind of car are u looking for? what price range? we bring in cars all the time, i personally would buy outside nigeria..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bodo Buschmann – Founder Of Brabus Dies At 62 / Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades / What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.