Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? (19156 Views)

The 6 Things Graduates Of Nigerian Public Universities Can Never Forget / Assessment Of Nigeria's Universities And Their Hosting Towns And Cities / Names Of Tuition Free Universities In Norway, Canada And Sweden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Mar 19, 2012
pzing: Plateau - hill area. Definitely being the highest point above sea level in Nigeria at Shere Hills.
The highest point in 9ja is Chappel Waddi in Taraba state

1 Like

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Mar 19, 2012
Nice thread. Watching from the sidelines and learning... cheesy
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Slizbeat(m): 11:09pm On Mar 19, 2012
kadu means crocodiles, nd 'na' means here. Xo kaduna inessense should mean crocodiles are here.
Portharcourt was named after a british master wo founded d port at rivers state in the then 19th century, dat was abt 1889 or so. His name is william harcourt if am nt mistaking.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Mar 19, 2012
finn:
The highest point in 9ja is Chappel Waddi in Taraba state
Chappel Waddi is in Adamawa State not Taraba
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Pakavy(m): 11:17pm On Mar 19, 2012
Slizbeat: kadu means crocodiles, nd 'na' means here. Xo kaduna inessense should mean crocodiles are here.
Portharcourt was named after a british master wo founded d port at rivers state in the then 19th century, dat was abt 1889 or so. His name is william harcourt if am nt mistaking.
in hausa;kada is singular for crocodile and kaduna is plural for crocodiles.here in hausa is nan and not na.

1 Like

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by haruna1970(m): 11:21pm On Mar 19, 2012
otinwa: Aiyepe ijebu: the town call Aiyepe is coined from the phrase '' oju aiye pe'' which means the world is represent here. That why the town is made up of all the YORUBA ethic. Ijebu, Remo, Ife, Egba etc.
Thank u my brother. u made learn something today.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 19, 2012
Ekiti state - -> I'll like to add my own . . . . peaceful, beautiful natural. kiss kiss
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 19, 2012
mbatuku2: Nice thread. Watching from the sidelines and learning... cheesy

egbin oshi. Even trolls can learn.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by 1Dray(m): 11:44pm On Mar 19, 2012
Void
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by 1Dray(m): 11:45pm On Mar 19, 2012
Giwa, in Sabon gari local govt of Kaduna state came abt its name frm the fact dt there use 2 b lots of Elephants in dt area. Giwa in hausa means Elephant
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by 1Dray(m): 11:51pm On Mar 19, 2012
Gwari means yam... The Gbaghis were good yam farmers way back b4 the FCT was founded.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by BaBaMike: 11:53pm On Mar 19, 2012
Dede Ewen omo Ijebu alare, Bo n tiri, se dada rim ba wen?
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by AndreUweh(m): 12:25am On Mar 20, 2012
Imo state is named after Imo River. Imo means great or big.
My home town is Isinweke---a market and administrative centre named after a wealthy business woman called Nwanyieke. When this woman died, her head was burried in a neutral ground or centre (Etiti) to please two warring clans over the ownership of the woman. Isinweke is also called Etiti with a population of about 100,000. It is in the Okigwe zone of Imo state.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Tropilo(m): 12:26am On Mar 20, 2012
IBUSA in Oshimili North of Delta means: Ibu uzor:- You're d first to inhabit. But legend has it that the name was and spelt IGBOZOR: meaning Igbo road/way. Some say it was IGBO BI NA UZOR. Nawa! We dont know again so we hv left it like that as IBUSA.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:53am On Mar 20, 2012
Tropilo: IBUSA in Oshimili North of Delta means: Ibu uzor:- You're d first to inhabit. But legend has it that the name was and spelt IGBOZOR: meaning Igbo road/way. Some say it was IGBO BI NA UZOR. Nawa! We dont know again so we hv left it like that as IBUSA.

Asi ka isili! I will advice you to go to your true elders and ask them what "Igbuzor","Ibussa","Ibuzor" means because most Igbos here know what it means.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Depointer1: 1:07am On Mar 20, 2012
Who knows the meaning of BAYELSA pls? could it be Retar tongue tongue
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ekitikan(m): 1:07am On Mar 20, 2012
Drock4christ: Ekiti means- Land of peace,knowledge,wisdom&success, i am proud of my STATE

Get your facts ryt awe mi,ekiti means mountain,from the root word okiti....hill,rock,mountain.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:27am On Mar 20, 2012
dubem3:

sorry can you break down omambala to the individual words that equal 'a river on our land'.
I know the history of the corruption of omambala, but i can't actually see how it sums up to the meaning u gave above... Biko Nwanne kowaciate

Ok, I see what you meant and I could be wrong but not far from the real meaning but I think you should also correct me if what I had up there is wrong.

But this is how I arrive to the meaning I gave; "nbala" means wide land/open land/farming place. . .nbala could be defined as just a piece of land but its has to do with a very wide/broad/huge/large amount of land. . .Then "oma/omo" means water in some parts of Anambra,especially the northern and central Anambra. Hence my definition. You can also say Omanbala means "the river in a farming land". If anybody have anything different let them post!
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by aljharem(m): 1:28am On Mar 20, 2012
Isele eko = bottom of Lagos

Badagry was formerly known as gbagle which was from Ogbaglee meaning a farmland near the swamp.

Ebute metta = three shores ,,,, ebute = shore, metta = three

Eko or Oko was war camp or farmland depending on the yoruba or bini translation

Iga Idunganran = pepper farm

Sokoto which was known as Sakwato = underwear

Alaba = the third born of a twin

Adamawa: conquered by Moddibo (King) Adama in the early 19th century. thus named after him

Rivers: riddled with rivers, mostly in the delta of the Niger River.

Enugu: from the capital, whose name means "top of the hill".

Taraba: after the Taraba River.

Warri orginaly called Iwere = gotten from the name Yorubas and Binis called Itsekiris thus the town

Sapele or Urhuapele = which is a combination of 2 urhobo words Urhie/Urho = river or stream and Apele = is a form of juju by the okpes
thus known as river or stream of apele.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by BABE3: 1:35am On Mar 20, 2012
alj harem: Isale eko = bottom of Lagos

You mean " Downtown Lagos "?
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by AndreUweh(m): 1:43am On Mar 20, 2012
Depointer1: Who knows the meaning of BAYELSA pls? could it be Retar tongue tongue
Bayelsa.
From Brass, Yenogoa and Sagbama division of old eastern province. Ba for Brass, Yel for Yelnogoa and SA for Sagbama.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by KayDee4: 2:12am On Mar 20, 2012
BABE!:

You mean " Downtown Lagos "?

sounds more like it.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 2:22am On Mar 20, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

egbin oshi. Even trolls can learn.

well ur name's sake changed me. Thank God she's not from a poverty-ridden Ekiti like u. Ewu Olukwu.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by achi4u(m): 2:50am On Mar 20, 2012
Ebonyi was derived from the great ebonyi river that traverse the entire state,while SALT OF THE NATION was also derived from Ubulu salt lake.
Ezza ezekuna my village was coined due to their bravery and how patriotic they are with their neghbour.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Yeske2(m): 4:08am On Mar 20, 2012
Like this so much
-- A gé igi corrupted to Agege by the Brits, a gé-- we cut(down) igi-- trees
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by KINGwax(m): 5:01am On Mar 20, 2012
Pakavy: wats d capital.of nairaland pls?!
there's a school at otta, i think that's the capital
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by KINGwax(m): 5:08am On Mar 20, 2012
slimdamatrix: Add me on BBM. Pin: 26BE3874!!! I wanna reach 500bbmers.. Sounds silly huh? I know, I'm hyper active so I constantly need to be involved in an activity.
94x don't u wish for a cardiac arrest!
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by KINGwax(m): 5:22am On Mar 20, 2012
Egba, also abeokuta: During the way that finally splits yorubas from both ile-ife and oyo into different ones we have today. The people of abeokuta were already on their own soil, so, when soldiers, mothers, fathers, children who are all three and looking for places to settle passers through d egba town, d people of egba offer foods, cloths, and other gifts which were at first rejected for fear of their lives, but later accepted by persuasion from abeokuta people who kept sayin 'egba' meaning take it in their native dialect. After d was and everything was settled, people still referred to people from abeokuta as egba.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by olawalebabs(m): 6:05am On Mar 20, 2012
Kwara was coined from the local name for river Niger 'Kwa'. Offa means 'arrow' used by the great warrior who found the town.

1 Like

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Ikengawo: 6:16am On Mar 20, 2012
Owerre means he takes. im from awommamma which mean beautiful frog imo state is imo river which itself I've been told mean big. Some more I knew was lagos is lagoons, nigeria is niger area benin is a corruption of ubini which meant land of annnoyance.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Konnektions146(m): 6:46am On Mar 20, 2012
ogbeche77:
Chappel Waddi is in Adamawa State not Taraba

lets learn to investigate before we quote online. chappal Waddi is in de Mambilla Plateau area of Taraba state.
heard abt Gembu??

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chappal_Waddi
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by manchy7531: 7:14am On Mar 20, 2012
owo2390: Ile-Ife - Home of Love!

(Not a large city town but a quasi-city town)

guy wetin dey worry you.if ife is a city then what is oshogbo?

ife is more or less an ancient village that is lucky to have a federal presence(Obafemi Awolowo university) and that has transformed it to a quasi town and nothing else.don't come here on NL to propagate rubbish like there are not people from ile ife on NL.Be warned unless i will embarrass you with pictures from ife of those tilty houses which is typical of an average yoruba town.

Shor ra re oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ngige: Suspension Of Strike ‘depends On ASUU / Sex For Marks: OAU Lecturers Demand Probe Of Professor / Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.