Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,633 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:17 PM

Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" (14808 Views)

Today's Google Doodle Symbol Kinda Offensive To The Black Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Seun(m): 2:01pm On Mar 18, 2012
Apparently, this Airtel Ad is offensive, according to the Twiterrati:

millionaire at 29. that's too late

fast is an attitude

We know the pace you set for yourself. hThat's why we set our Internet speeds to challenge that. So that you never have to slow down, even for a moment.

3.75g in all 36 states in Nigeria.
Speed up to 42mpbs
What's offensive about it? I'm not very sure. I don't get it.

1 Like

Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by jesse8048(m): 2:17pm On Mar 18, 2012
Pls throw more light
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Wateron: 2:18pm On Mar 18, 2012
Now am 22, I must make my first Million be my 24th birthday. This is what airtel is preaching.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Lekmusic: 2:18pm On Mar 18, 2012
I think what the poster meant was the 29 years thing....by Nigerian standards and going by the high level of challenges faced by men in this country, that standard is hard to reach. Not to now add that it's 5 years late. I think the poster felt he/she falls short going by the advert's standards.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Nobody: 2:18pm On Mar 18, 2012
There is certainly nothing offensive about it.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by yuzedo: 2:24pm On Mar 18, 2012
Airtel is simply targeting the yahoo boiz, and trying to tell them that if they use their (Airtel) internet, they will hammer by 24yrs, but if they use starcomms or MTN modem, oboy na 5yrs d slow internet go use take send only one mail to maga! tongue tongue

13 Likes

Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by ignis: 2:37pm On Mar 18, 2012
Sir, am yet to see the insult or offense in the advert.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by buchio7(m): 2:45pm On Mar 18, 2012
abeg..abeg...abeg.....go focus on more serious tins instead of blowing hot air.....wetin do d advert?

U r clogging up cyberspace....
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by daywatcher: 2:46pm On Mar 18, 2012
why is it offensive?
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by pzing: 2:50pm On Mar 18, 2012
"Fast is an attitude." Nothing wrong with the philosophy.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Harbb: 2:52pm On Mar 18, 2012
Who does it offend?
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by knotty(m): 2:55pm On Mar 18, 2012
if you are not a milonaire by age 25, you have lived a miserable, slow, useless and wretched life, that is the impression i get from that yeye advert.
another strong message to the youth to make it by anymeans possible and in good time too.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by agiboma(f): 2:55pm On Mar 18, 2012
i cant see an offence in the advert
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Harbb: 2:56pm On Mar 18, 2012
But come to think of it, these things that the mobile telecom companies advertise, internet speed of 42mbps, are true?
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by naptu2: 3:12pm On Mar 18, 2012
Ok, I see what is offensive (although I might not completely agree). Those who find it offensive believe that it encourages youths to go into crime and take shortcuts...the get rich quick mentality. Get rich by any means necessary.

2 Likes

Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by ADETAYATA: 3:13pm On Mar 18, 2012
not offensive to me at all.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by dridowu: 3:17pm On Mar 18, 2012
yuzedo: Airtel is simply targeting the yahoo boiz, and trying to tell them that if they use their (Airtel) internet, they will hammer by 24yrs, but if they use starcomms or MTN modem, oboy na 5yrs d slow internet go use take send only one mail to maga! tongue tongue
i thinka along wit u8-)
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by MurderX: 3:21pm On Mar 18, 2012
Yes this advert can be seen as offensive, it supports and capitalizes on the international bad image that the average Nigerian youth is an internet fraudster and lures them to use its extra fast internet link to make even faster money to become millionaires by 24.
Think of it logically, this is the average age of a graduate or a youth corper in Nigeria and over 80% of Nigerian millionaires in this age bracket must have made it by illegal means especially by internet fraud. This is the only obvious connection between the idea and the advert. It should be banned, the intent is derogatory, advances the notion that we are fraudsters and supports internet fraud (yahoo) in Nigeria.
How else does a faster internet link translate to a young man making faster money in Nigeria Think!

6 Likes

Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Nobody: 3:22pm On Mar 18, 2012
I dont like that advert at all. At 24 is too late to be a millionaire? What!
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by bid4rich(m): 3:22pm On Mar 18, 2012
offensive or defensive, they are making their money.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by moneysense: 3:22pm On Mar 18, 2012
I totally agree that its offensive.
Though some people disagree, we are all entitle to our opinion.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Pakavy(m): 3:45pm On Mar 18, 2012
@poster d thing touch u somwhere?!
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by econome(m): 4:00pm On Mar 18, 2012
AT AGE 29 WHEN MAN DONE BORN FINISH.
MARK ZUKERBEG, FACEBOOK CEO IS 29 AND HE'S A BILLIONNAIRE.THERE ARE SO MANY UNDER 20 AMERICANS LIKE THAT

1 Like

Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by franktolk(m): 4:02pm On Mar 18, 2012
Whenever I hear Nigerians calling millions, I just marvel! Its nothing but just an illusion, cos if u get the real value of the 1million naira today its less than 2500naira of 1987. Infact the 1million naira is just roughly £4000. So we shldnt get deceived by our inflated figures,its more of a slave admiring his Golden chains!

2 Likes

Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by bokohalal1: 4:04pm On Mar 18, 2012
yuzedo: Airtel is simply targeting the yahoo boiz, and trying to tell them that if they use their (Airtel) internet, they will hammer by 24yrs, but if they use starcomms or MTN modem, oboy na 5yrs d slow internet go use take send only one mail to maga! tongue tongue

Got my ribs cracking on your comment.
While I don't see the advert as insulting in anyway, I consider it as one that can be easily misunderstood in general by people, though they drove home the basic point--we have 3.75G network to offer and up to 42MBPS speed but they also initiated another line of thought--millionaire at 24, which can be seen to be either negative or motivating, different strokes for different folks.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Nobody: 4:10pm On Mar 18, 2012
I beg make we follow dem enjoy the advert for the time being. We know say dem go soon sell and the new owners go give us another advert.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Gentleboby: 4:40pm On Mar 18, 2012
Not offensive at all! at list 18years old should bold enough to stand in their academy, skill and other area of specialization starting from college before age of 24 already a professional and become a millionia if not our bad leaders that Killed education and other sectors.

yuzedo: Airtel is simply targeting the yahoo boiz, and trying to tell them that if they use their (Airtel) internet, they will hammer by 24yrs, but if they use starcomms or MTN modem, oboy na 5yrs d slow internet go use take send only one mail to maga!

U got it right.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by ayobase(m): 4:45pm On Mar 18, 2012

simply d answer....LOL!
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Whizkeey(m): 4:47pm On Mar 18, 2012
No spoil business 4 Airtel na, na advert
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Nobody: 4:55pm On Mar 18, 2012
I think its offensive.More or less berrating one for not being a millionaire at 24.In a country where at 24 you are still trying to find your feet.In developed countries fine but not in Nigeria.The ad is a recipe for 'get rich quick' mentality by whatever means.At a time when we are trying everything possible to reorientate the youths.

2 Likes

Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Afam4eva(m): 5:00pm On Mar 18, 2012
I guess this is what inpired the other topic about being a millionaire at 24. I think they're encouraging people to become millonaires before they clock 26 by any means possible.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by bodejohn(m): 5:02pm On Mar 18, 2012
For a long time, I didn't even know it was an advert for a telecomms company. I had thought it was just a motivation speaker doing his thing. Adverts for what they are are basically exaggerations, the more you exaggerate, the more you get the products to sell. Little wonder you see a billboard showing an accomplished young man in the company of some girls holding a stick of cigarrete, but before you want to be like him, you see the shocker, smokers are liable to die young...LOL!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Win Brand New Aeroplane! MTN Ultimate Wonder! / Airtel Triple Data Offer - Get 2.2gb For N500, 4.5gb For N1000 / How Much Is The Nokia E63?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.