Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,483 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" (14814 Views)

Today's Google Doodle Symbol Kinda Offensive To The Black Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by saintneo(m): 5:17pm On Mar 18, 2012
Glad I made my first million (legal source) at 27 at least given that most peeps graduate(Engineering) at 25 from a federal university in Nigeria.

I think a millionaire at 24 is appropriate.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by mykejones(m): 5:30pm On Mar 18, 2012
Go to d University and most NYSC camps,majority of the populace are between the ages of 23-25.
So if dis ones see dis advert now,wetin u want make dem dey feel?
To tag themselves failures because they/we aren't millioniares?
The advert is appropraite for a 'working economy',nt in dis country.
Wel maybe d advert isn't cearly for evrybody as someone suggested,mayb na for our yahoo brothers. And am sure they got d msg.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by franklampard082(m): 5:31pm On Mar 18, 2012
yuzedo: Airtel is simply targeting the yahoo boiz, and trying to tell them that if they use their (Airtel) internet, they will hammer by 24yrs, but if they use starcomms or MTN modem, oboy na 5yrs d slow internet go use take send only one mail to maga! tongue tongue
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by soulamanne(m): 5:31pm On Mar 18, 2012
For every advert,there is always a morale to be taken away from it even if the intent is marketing a product.that line is sends a wrong message
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Tonjeola1(m): 5:38pm On Mar 18, 2012
the guy in ads look like the poster
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by aieromon(m): 6:00pm On Mar 18, 2012
I bear no grievance.It only serves to energise our potentials and bring them to life.
"Fast is the time that askes you why you haven't become a millionaire by age 24''.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by livapul86(m): 6:05pm On Mar 18, 2012
yuzedo: Airtel is simply targeting the yahoo boiz, and trying to tell them that if they use their (Airtel) internet, they will hammer by 24yrs, but if they use starcomms or MTN modem, oboy na 5yrs d slow internet go use take send only one mail to maga! tongue tongue
Guy, ur head correct wella. Laugh wan tear my belle o!
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by maclatunji: 6:22pm On Mar 18, 2012
smiley
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by maclatunji: 6:22pm On Mar 18, 2012
The fact that you are talking about the advert shows that it is working. That is all the executives at Airtel will care about.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Nobody: 6:22pm On Mar 18, 2012
They r right. I made my first million n EOD car @ 22 while in skol(legally). But d ad is encouraging yahoo boiz.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 18, 2012
Wateron: Now am 22, I must make my first Million be my 24th birthday. This is what airtel is preaching.
kids & dreamz!
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by AjanleKoko: 6:38pm On Mar 18, 2012
There is nothing offensive about the ad, just another case of classic Nigerian inferiority complex.
Once someone says something, people get offended. Just like 'Mama Na Boy'. Some feminists got all riled up. There was also this 'topless or covered' Benz ad, all the religious hypocrites went to town on that one.
Headache of a country.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by muyoto: 6:39pm On Mar 18, 2012
so you make your first million at age 24, what next? Sunday ceases to the first day of the week? zeesh undecided

BTW I don't particularly see anything offensive in the advert. Peeps should quit make a fuss over nothing.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by otilox(m): 6:47pm On Mar 18, 2012
Let's see it this way... When you talk of innovative and disruptive business models that people have come up with in recent years, it often has something to do with the internet... from facebook to spotify, from irokotv to dealdey. These new breed of companies have launched their owners into the millionaire zone in whichever currency within a short period. Why? cos the new age of business innovation and fast turn over highly depends on high speed internet, amongst other factors (google tesco and walmarts profit boost resulting from internet sales.

Why not eliminate the negative use of internet for money making (419) from your thoughts and tap into the potential of high speed internet for business innovation. I bet you quick millions would locate you too. A simple blog can do the magic through Ad gains for example.
Ps: I don’t work for airtel.

2 Likes

Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Nobody: 6:49pm On Mar 18, 2012
That advert should be banned outrightly, no need arguing about it, @29yrs late ah ah, what happinii airtel...what are u telling Nigerian youths plz? See guys, real wealth begins at 40yrs, by then all your efforts and labour will start to produce fruits, not the yahoo-yahoo stuff that destroyed the image of this nation internationally. Take time o airtel...NCC should act immediately plz..and caution airtel too! nonesense!
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by jephiano: 6:50pm On Mar 18, 2012
My favourite line in the advert is:"Fast is taking impatience and turning it into a virtue." just love it man cheesy

1 Like

Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by muyoto: 6:59pm On Mar 18, 2012
otilox: Let's see it this way... When you talk of innovative and disruptive business models that people have come up with in recent years, it often has something to do with the internet... from facebook to spotify, from irokotv to dealdey. These new breed of companies have launched their owners into the millionaire zone in whichever currency within a short period. Why? cos the new age of business innovation and fast turn over highly depends on high speed internet, amongst other factors (google tesco and walmarts profit boost resulting from internet sales.

Why not eliminate the negative use of internet for money making (419) from your thoughts and tap into the potential of high speed internet for business innovation. I bet you quick millions would locate you too. A simple blog can do the magic through Ad gains for example.
Ps: I don’t work for airtel.

GBAM!!
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Tinyemeka(m): 7:04pm On Mar 18, 2012
@ OP, "Fast: knowing that you haven't made your first million by 24 and that you are too late". Is that the only "fast" thing you heard about that advert? Please find other things to worry about.

Ok what do you then have to say about the quote below?

jephiano: My favourite line in the advert is:"Fast is taking impatience and turning it into a virtue." just love it man cheesy
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by otilox(m): 7:10pm On Mar 18, 2012
jobfront: That advert should be banned outrightly, no need arguing about it, @29yrs late ah ah, what happinii airtel...what are u telling Nigerian youths plz? See guys, real wealth begins at 40yrs, by then all your efforts and labour will start to produce fruits, not the yahoo-yahoo stuff that destroyed the image of this nation internationally. Take time o airtel...NCC should act immediately plz..and caution airtel too! nonesense!

From your name i can deduce you are a job seeker. One 20 year old would use this same FAST internet to start up something creative and profitable, then he will employ you and pay you under a million till you are 40. But he would be talking billions by then. Very shallow thinking you got there my friend. Wake up! Pardon me if i sound offensive. I apologise.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by EEVICTOREE(m): 7:28pm On Mar 18, 2012

Hehehehehehe... You got what i was thinking...

Dis kind life... Na wa 0o...

Oya make una dey use Airtel internet so una go be Millionaire @29... grin grin grin
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by stagger: 7:31pm On Mar 18, 2012
These kinds of ads are what warp our societal values and drag young people away from building themselves up step by step into cutting corners to be rich.

Take a statistics of the rich in our society. How many made their money at the age of 29 or below? APCON should come in here and force Airtel to pull that ad!
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by cynthiafred67(f): 7:31pm On Mar 18, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with the advert, i kinda like it.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by itsigwehenry(m): 7:51pm On Mar 18, 2012
everybody has hos own way of advertising and for me, i see nothing wrong with the advert its perfect.
it is you guys that are taking it to another level
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by eherbal(m): 7:53pm On Mar 18, 2012
Wateron: Now am 22, I must make my first Million be my 24th birthday. This is what airtel is preaching.
and how you gonna achieve that lil un?By any means necessary?
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by yommy2sure(m): 8:26pm On Mar 18, 2012
The advert is not just offensive but insulting and de-motivating, what the hell, if u aint a millionaire by 24 in Nig u r some sort of failure? I beg to differ, how many nigerians have they employed and turn to fast millionaires with their sack rumours? An averege graduate with all the strikes and inefficiencies will be out by 24-25, so he should go kill himself, I tink sometin like 'while wait till 29, you can make it at 24...fast is an attitude would have been more appropriate and here are some ppl defending the nonsense....again I say, I beg to differ!
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by GODBLESSU1: 8:31pm On Mar 18, 2012
Next
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by AjanleKoko: 8:38pm On Mar 18, 2012
Even by reading this thread, it's easy to see that inferiority complex is endemic in Nigeria.
A harmless ad in Nigeria is making people feel like failures, attention is being drawn to their (perceived) poverty.

1 Like

Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by oiseworld: 9:13pm On Mar 18, 2012
Murder_X: Yes this advert can be seen as offensive, it supports and capitalizes on the international bad image that the average Nigerian youth is an internet fraudster and lures them to use its extra fast internet link to make even faster money to become millionaires by 24.
Think of it logically, this is the average age of a graduate or a youth corper in Nigeria and over 80% of Nigerian millionaires in this age bracket must have made it by illegal means especially by internet fraud. This is the only obvious connection between the idea and the advert. It should be banned, the intent is derogatory, advances the notion that we are fraudsters and supports internet fraud (yahoo) in Nigeria.
How else does a faster internet link translate to a young man making faster money in Nigeria Think!

guy you go school at all? Their is nothing offensive in this advert. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. In fact its a challenge. People in other countries make millions before the age of 24. So why should nigeria be any different.

Are you saying etisalat add means people can start over speeding with their cars, or that mtn wnts all our electronic devices to start talking. Na wa oh

Nigerians trully don't have a mind of their own.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by lond07: 9:18pm On Mar 18, 2012
naptu2: Ok, I see what is offensive (although I might not completely agree). Those who find it offensive believe that it encourages youths to go into crime and take shortcuts...the get rich quick mentality. Get rich by any means necessary.

That is the point. And this coming from a well respected telecomm company will send very bad messages accrooss.

On the extreme side. some youths may consider themselves a failure and may comtemplate suicide.

It's very bad
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Cotton(m): 9:42pm On Mar 18, 2012
I don't think it is offensive. If you're an Igbo trader-you enter indenture at about 9-11yrs, work for 7 years and get your freedom. By this time you should be between 16-18years. You are settled with about 250-400k depending on your Oga. If you can't turn it over in 6 years to get 1m then by my people's standards you dey Bleep up.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by AjanleKoko: 9:43pm On Mar 18, 2012
lond07:

That is the point. And this coming from a well respected telecomm company will send very bad messages accrooss.

On the extreme side. some youths may consider themselves a failure and may comtemplate suicide.

It's very bad

Inferiority complex at its best worst.
Re: Offensive Airtel Ad: "Millionaire At 29, That's 5 Years Too Late" by Lawalmd(m): 10:36pm On Mar 18, 2012
the yeye 3g no even reach ipaja and they preach the whole 36 states

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Airtel Triple Data Offer - Get 2.2gb For N500, 4.5gb For N1000 / Win Brand New Aeroplane! MTN Ultimate Wonder! / How Much Is The Nokia E63?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.