Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,484 members, 7,819,759 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

Should Nigeria Pass A Law On General Marriage Requirements ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Nigeria Pass A Law On General Marriage Requirements ? (796 Views)

After 5 Years The Prophesy Of Her Real Man Has Come To Pass, "But She Is Married / See What A Woman Had To Pass Through To Support Her Family. / Requirements For Good Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should Nigeria Pass A Law On General Marriage Requirements ? by ZUBY77(m): 7:48pm On Mar 21, 2012
This is a continuation of my previous post on 'Men owns women'

According to research, most of the domestic violence we witness here in Nigeria are as a result of what men pay before they marry a woman. Example, in Mbaise Imo state, before you marry their daughter, they will give you a fullscap list of the things you will bring to them before you marry their daughters even the ones who they did not train in school or anything. Yams, cloths, money, drinks, goats, and many more.
At the end of the day, you end up spending all the money you have just to get married.
Marriage should be a partnership.
A lot of marriages were arborted in my place just because the girl's people knows that the man is not rich enough. At the end, the girl in question stays with the parents for over 30 years.
So my question is: should we pass a law on the reqirements of marriage in this country?
Re: Should Nigeria Pass A Law On General Marriage Requirements ? by taryour(f): 10:53pm On Mar 21, 2012
@op
i read your previous post and i understand you clearly.the words you use are too strong,men do not own women,we were created to assist and be a conpanion to men,if not God will not create women,God created women cause men can not live alone and thats why we are companions of mothers of the whole nation, MEN ARE OUR HEADS AND NOT OUR OWNERS. On the issue of bride price and the likes,that has been the tradition in afica for soo long,and noting wotsoever can change it.we shoud just keep praying that we all and our children get our best frnds for husbands and wives.
Re: Should Nigeria Pass A Law On General Marriage Requirements ? by ZUBY77(m): 11:29pm On Mar 21, 2012
taryour: @op
i read your previous post and i understand you clearly.the words you use are too strong,men do not own women,we were created to assist and be a conpanion to men,if not God will not create women,God created women cause men can not live alone and thats why we are companions of mothers of the whole nation, MEN ARE OUR HEADS AND NOT OUR OWNERS. On the issue of bride price and the likes,that has been the tradition in afica for soo long,and noting wotsoever can change it.we shoud just keep praying that we all and our children get our best frnds for husbands and wives.

You have your points and i appreciate them. I agree with most of what you said but i dont believe in burying our heads in the sand. I know that the bride price issue has been there for so long but if it does not suit our modern life, then we can scrap it and find a better alternative.
Not that the bride price thing is a big deal but i hate it when money is exchanged for a human being nomatter the circumstances.

(1) (Reply)

Married Boy!!! / What Influence Does It Have; Negative Or Positive? / Tell Me What Make's A Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.