Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,921 members, 7,952,704 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:47 PM

Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? (11084 Views)

5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... / Nigeria Embassies: A Building Of Educated Zombies / Foreign Embassies And Consulates In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 22, 2012
Have u observed that foreign embassies like USA, often don't recognize our Nigerian traditional wedding for travel documentation purposes?
For instance, if you are a Nigerian guy married to a Nigerian lady, and you travel abroad and maybe want to bring your spouse, the foreign embassies don't always recognize our Traditional marriages, instead they want you to go to marriage registry to perform a white wedding, isn't this another form of racism and descrimination? Pls we need to press on this issue, cos our culture ought to be respected and valued by us and foreigners too. what do u think guys?
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 22, 2012
Well every country have different rules, and you have to follow the rules. If someone was to leave the USA and settled in Nigeria, they will have to follow the Nigerian rules and regulation. Different country, different laws. No need to go A war about this.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Mar 22, 2012
UNESCO was formed to promote and recognize all united nation member countries' culture and tradition,
and to also preserve them, and Nigeria is a full member. what am I trying to say? They need to recognize and respect our culture and tradition the way we respect theirs. when an american living in Nigeria wants to bring his white spouse to Nigeria, do Nigerian embassy force him to go and perform an african traditional wedding to show that truly he is married to the woman he is bringing in? This shows we are inferior to them, that our culture & tradition is inferior to theirs, which ought to change now. They need to start recognizing our Traditional marriages since it is recognized and respected by us. And this should also be applicable to our courts. I wonder what the ministry of culture and tradition is doing, sighs.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by SAFO(m): 6:15pm On Mar 22, 2012
I think you're making much ado about nothing. How hard is it to get a piece of paper saying you're legally married?
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by SAFO(m): 6:16pm On Mar 22, 2012
# not a big deal
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Dyt(f): 6:28pm On Mar 22, 2012
U want 2 marry 20wives abi?
Go 4 d court weddin jor
Olojukokoro
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by LordReed(m): 12:26am On Mar 23, 2012
jobfront: UNESCO was formed to promote and recognize all united nation member countries' culture and tradition,
and to also preserve them, and Nigeria is a full member. what am I trying to say? They need to recognize and respect our culture and tradition the way we respect theirs. when an american living in Nigeria wants to bring his white spouse to Nigeria, do Nigerian embassy force him to go and perform an african traditional wedding to show that truly he is married to the woman he is bringing in? This shows we are inferior to them, that our culture & tradition is inferior to theirs, which ought to change now. They need to start recognizing our Traditional marriages since it is recognized and respected by us. And this should also be applicable to our courts. I wonder what the ministry of culture and tradition is doing, sighs.

Which culture and tradition? The one you said is slave purchase? Abi is it another one?
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Nobody: 2:32am On Mar 23, 2012
Court or traditional, they still sham it. . I was reading an article on bbc online where some naija dudes and chicks marry their sister's and brother's for green card purpose. . Pure insanity, fraud n what my granny refers as arohhhh.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by MrsChima(f): 2:37am On Mar 23, 2012
SAFO: I think you're making much ado about nothing. How hard is it to get a piece of paper saying you're legally married?

Exactly. They should be in and out less than 30 minutes.

Court weddings aren't like traditional weddings. No one exchanging money and throwing cow piss on anyone. Just nod your head and sign the damn paper.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by MrsChima(f): 2:40am On Mar 23, 2012
REALITY101: Court or traditional, they still sham it. . I was reading an article on bbc online where some naija dudes and chicks marry their sister's and brother's for green card purpose. . Pure insanity, fraud n what my granny refers as arohhhh.

Imagine siblings kissing each other! Eeew!!! It may depends on the court, but I know many judges require spouses to kiss as a confirmation of marriage.

When many are desperate, they will sleep with their family members just to escape poverty and hardship.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Nobody: 3:04am On Mar 23, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Imagine siblings kissing each other! Eeew!!! It may depends on the court, but I know many judges require spouses to kiss as a confirmation of marriage.

When many are desperate, they will sleep with their family members just to escape poverty and hardship.

True that. . Trust me not all of them came over here for poverty reasons. Some of them want to live MTV, BET and VhT life. You know the hollywood things smiley Months ago I went to a popular farmers market in Houston with my sister n two of my niece's, the man in his 40's cutting meat said he use to be a bank manager back in Nigeria. Like WTF why are they so desperate to migrate like birds in the winter?
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by MrsChima(f): 3:26am On Mar 23, 2012
jobfront: Have u observed that foreign embassies like USA, often don't recognize our Nigerian traditional wedding for travel documentation purposes?
For instance, if you are a Nigerian guy married to a Nigerian lady, and you travel abroad and maybe want to bring your spouse, the foreign embassies don't always recognize our Traditional marriages, instead they want you to go to marriage registry to perform a white wedding, isn't this another form of racism and descrimination? Pls we need to press on this issue, cos our culture ought to be respected and valued by us and foreigners too. what do u think guys?

A "White wedding" in America is not a court wedding. It is usually performed in churches, mosques, and synagogues. You do not need a "White wedding" for legal purposes. You just need an official marriage license with your name, wife's name, and two witnesses.

You will need your passport or ID to reserve a court date and time and make sure that you show up on time or you will have to reschedule again.

I have been invited to dozens of court wedding and they are pathetic.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by MrsChima(f): 3:29am On Mar 23, 2012
REALITY101:

True that. . Trust me not all of them came over here for poverty reasons. Some of them want to live MTV, BET and VhT life. You know the hollywood things smiley Months ago I went to a popular farmers market in Houston with my sister n two of my niece's, the man in his 40's cutting meat said he use to be a bank manager back in Nigeria. Like WTF why are they so desperate to migrate like birds in the winter?

Poverty or hardship isn't always money related, it also includes social, political, religious, education, and health poverty or hardship.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Nobody: 3:48am On Mar 23, 2012
Kinda on point
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by bakila: 3:58am On Mar 23, 2012
REALITY101:

Why they dont respect our traditional marriage. The Court papers is also recieved with a pinch of salt.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Nobody: 9:44am On Mar 23, 2012
One of those who tried entering the states with their family illegally.......... undecided
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by otokx(m): 9:46am On Mar 23, 2012
What is the business of foreign embassies and our Nigerian traditional weddings?
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by nwanioma(f): 9:50am On Mar 23, 2012
Are there any legal papers signed after a traditional wedding? What proof do you have that u have been traditionally married? Picture? @Poster what wud it take from you to get to a court and sign a couple of papers??
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 23, 2012
the traditional bangles given to me by my father-in-law and mother-in-law, plus pics, and several other cultural and traditional evidences should be able to convince them that i am married to the lady. i dont want a girl who never knew how i suffered to mke money and wealth to come tomorrow to claim my sufferings in the name of being my wife. she will only enjoy my wealth when she stays with me, if i die, she gets nothing cos she must be a suspec, so that she will be praying for me to live long life and not planning to kill me to inherit my wealth.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Akainzo(m): 10:33am On Mar 23, 2012
Have u observed that foreign embassies like USA, often don't recognize our Nigerian traditional wedding for travel documentation purposes?

It is because you and maybe others do you understand the provisions of the Marriage Act in Nigeria. Though the marriage act recognises 3 types of weddings, including the traditional, it however stipulates the documentations that is required to make it valid.
That the traditional wedding is recognised is not enough, you need to ensure that you carry out the required documentations which means in this case, that you would get the Marriage Certificate form the Local Government office or the traditional ruler of your village. Note that since 1994, the marriage certificates in use in Nigeria has been harmonised and are the same for all the 3 types of weddings.

Of course, I do not expect you to believe that the US embassy would accept that you are traditionally married without any documentation to that effect! That would be expecting too much, especially from a Nigerian. grin
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Henry40: 10:42am On Mar 23, 2012
^^^^^^ There are three types of Marriages recognized in Nigeria -
1. Under the Act {A.K.A. Under the Law, A.K.A Legal Marriage}
2. Traditional
3. Sharia

jobfront: Have u observed that foreign embassies like USA, often don't recognize our Nigerian traditional wedding for travel documentation purposes?

Under Nigerian Law, registry wedding are not "White Weddings," registry weddings are the legalization of marriage. I'm sure what you mean by "white wedding" is simply a celebration of a legalized wedding. Under Nigerian Law, Traditional Weddings are not legal. You ever wondered why a man can have 12 wives, and yet, only 1 of them would be his "1st lady"? That's because that's the one wise enough to make their marriage legal and you can only be married to one legal wife. Embassies generally place emphasis on the Legal, not the Traditional.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Googler(m): 10:46am On Mar 23, 2012

Henry40:
Under Nigerian Law, registry wedding are not "White Weddings," registry weddings are the legalization of marriage. I'm sure what you mean by "white wedding" is simply a celebration of a legalized wedding. Under Nigerian Law, Traditional Weddings are not legal. You ever wondered why a man can have 12 wives, and yet, only 1 of them would be his "1st lady"? That's because that's the one wise enough to make their marriage legal and you can only be married to one legal wife. Embassies generally place emphasis on the Legal, not the Traditional.

Thank you. So you mean if I had a traditional marriage and then get a certificate for that from my traditional ruler or local government chairman, that would suffice?
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by evanstical: 10:49am On Mar 23, 2012
house ,If i am married to more than one wife,how do i go about it.is it still legal to have one?
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by ikanya: 10:49am On Mar 23, 2012
Countries like the U.S. can be arrogant most times. But one thing I don't know is whether there is a documents issued by our traditional institutions to authenticate or certify traditional marriages.
Again, you talked of documentation at the embassy, in all fairness, if no document is presented to certify that one is duly married traditionally, it becomes difficult to document anything as regards to the person's marriage status because there will be nothing to document. Anyone could just claim that they are traditionally married. How would you authenticate it?
And on the other hand, if there is a solid proof to to show that one has duly married traditionally and such proof is treated without regard by the said embassies, then our government should wake up to preserve and uphold our tradition and save the citizens of this country from reckless embarrassments.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Henry40: 10:53am On Mar 23, 2012
Googler:

Thank you. So you mean if I had a traditional marriage and then get a certificate for that from my traditional ruler or local government chairman, that would suffice?

NO!

I'm sure they asked you at the Embassy for your Marriage Certificate. That's proof of a Legal Wedding, that's why they ask. You have to understand the reason these guys ask. The Crime of Bigamy is fully operational abroad. Bigamy is being legally married to more that a wife. To proof that, they must first proof that you are indeed legally married to more than a wife. It's basically to protect the sanctity of marriage.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Henry40: 11:00am On Mar 23, 2012
evanstical: house ,If i am married to more than one wife,how do i go about it.is it still legal to have one?

Polygamy is not illegal. Marrying more than one woman in the court/registry while a Decree Absolute hasn't been issued by a court for the previous one would render the subsequent marriage void ab initio.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Akainzo(m): 11:00am On Mar 23, 2012
Henry40: ^^^^^^ There are three types of Marriages recognized in Nigeria -
1. Under the Act {A.K.A. Under the Law, A.K.A Legal Marriage}
2. Traditional
3. Sharia

You misunderstood the Marriage Act big time! The marriage act gives legal status to 3 types of marriages
1. The Court Wedding
2. The Church / Nikai wedding
3. The traditional / customary weddings

All the above 3 are legal weddings and each has its own marriage certificates. Please go and read the Marriage Act.

Henry40: ^^^^^^ Under Nigerian Law, registry wedding are not "White Weddings," registry weddings are the legalization of marriage. I'm sure what you mean by "white wedding" is simply a celebration of a legalized wedding. Under Nigerian Law, Traditional Weddings are not legal. You ever wondered why a man can have 12 wives, and yet, only 1 of them would be his "1st lady"? That's because that's the one wise enough to make their marriage legal and you can only be married to one legal wife. Embassies generally place emphasis on the Legal, not the Traditional.

My guy, you are totally WRONG. Under Nigerian Marriage Act, the traditional wedding is fully Legal. If it is not, why do you have customery courts in Nigeria to decide divorce cases?
Please do not spread mis-information.

The differences between the 3 marriages are the types of relieves you can have, it is only with the Court Wedding, that you are not allowed to marry more than 1 wife! If you perform the Customary Wedding, you are allowed and cannot be charged with bigamy! Embassies ask you for legal documents and are not interested if the wedding was court, church or traditional, so long as you have the legal documents to back up your wedding.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Henry40: 11:07am On Mar 23, 2012
Akainzo:

You misunderstood the Marriage Act big time! The marriage act gives legal status to 3 types of marriages
1. The Court Wedding

All the above 3 are legal weddings and each has its own marrisge certificates. Please go and read the Marriage Act.

In ALL Church Weddings you sign the Marriage registry, which means what you do in Church is essentially what you do in court and marriage registries. The act of signing the registry is what makes the wedding legal. Customary Weddings vary because customs vary. Sharia Weddings don't vary. Read the Matrimonial Causes Act.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Akainzo(m): 11:07am On Mar 23, 2012
Googler:

ABSOLUTELY!
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Googler(m): 11:08am On Mar 23, 2012
Henry40:

NO!

I'm sure they asked you at the Embassy for your Marriage Certificate. That's proof of a Legal Wedding, that's why they ask. You have to understand the reason these guys ask. The Crime of Bigamy is fully operational abroad. Bigamy is being legally married to more that a wife. To proof that, they must first proof that you are indeed legally married to more than a wife. It's basically to protect the sanctity of marriage.

I understand all this. What I'm asking is, what happens if I present a "marriage certificate" for my traditional marriage at a Western embassy? Will that do?

Akainzo:

1. The Court Wedding

All the above 3 are legal weddings and each has its own marrisge certificates. Please go and read the Marriage Act.

My guy, you are totally WRONG. Under Nigerian Marriage Act, the traditional wedding is fully Legal. If it is not, why do you have customery courts in Nigeria to decide divorce cases?
Please do not spread mis-information.

The differences between the 3 marriages are the types of relieves you can have, it is only with the Court Wedding, that you are not allowed to marry more than 1 wife! If you perform the Customary Wedding, you are allowed and cannot be charged with bigamy! Embassies ask you for legal documents and are not interested if the wedding was court, church or traditional, so long as you have the legal documents to back up your wedding.

Ok, then.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Akainzo(m): 11:12am On Mar 23, 2012
Henry40:

In ALL Church Weddings you sign the Marriage registry, which means what you do in Church is essentially what you do in court and marriage registries. The act of signing the registry is what makes the wedding legal. Customary Weddings vary because customs vary. Sharia Weddings don't vary. Read the Matrimonial Causes Act

In the church, you do sign the Marriage registry which is a documentation of the process you have just performed. It does not invalidate what the law says. I however recognise that most churches decide to issue the Court sanctioned Marriage Certificate rather than the Religious one, and this is to protect the brides marrying in the church. They do this to ensure that weddings in churches are under the court injunctions and thus prevent one from contracting another wedding.

The cause or classes of marriage has no effect on the Marriage Act, only the Marriage Act stipulates the legal marriages in Nigeria and the reliefs available there of.
Re: Why Do Foreign Embassies Reject Our Nigerian Traditional Weddings? by Nobody: 11:17am On Mar 23, 2012
The reason why this may be is because the traditional marriage as we know it is more of a ceremony thing with no documentation whatsoever. just saying.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Begins Enforcement Of Motorcycle Restriction Law Of 2012 / A Nairalander Needs Advice On Which Country To Relocate To. / Lagos Tops Mastercard's List Of Most Visited Cities In Sub-saharan Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.