Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,724 members, 7,955,729 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:57 PM

I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! (19856 Views)

5 Classes Of Nigerians Who Play Important Roles But Are Hardly Recognised / Photos Of Nigerians Scooping Petrol From Crashed Tanker On Ibadan Expressway / The Arrogance And Authoritarianism Of Mynd44 In Politics Section. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by edoyad(m): 10:58pm On Mar 23, 2012
Beaf: It is ok to beat our chests in the presence of foreigners, but only for the sake of our pride.
When we at home or in each others company, we must admit the bitter truth to ourselves.

Sometimes I see Nigerians making derogatory remarks about Zimbabwe, but they do not realise that Zimbabwe is far better than Nigeria in almost every developmental index. They have a 90% litteracy rate, manufacturing contributes to 10% of their GDP (projected to rise to 30% in the next two years. They have one of the best road networks in Africa and just like in Europe, if you break down there are phone numbers you can call and somebody will come out to help you. There are very few armed robberies and power cuts.

We should at least strive to be like Zimbabwe before insulting that country in public for no other reason than, we think we are some phucking giant of Africa. What sort of giant cannot manufacture a phucking pin? angry

I don't know about road networks and Emergency numbers, but what I know is that no Single Moda Phucker in this galaxy can rule us for 32 years
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by Beaf: 11:07pm On Mar 23, 2012
edoyad:

I don't know about road networks and Emergency numbers, but what I know is that no Single Moda Phucker in this galaxy can rule us for 32 years

Believe me, that is the only thing we have above Zimbabwe.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by mikeapollo: 12:47pm On Mar 24, 2012
I was pointing out the obvious vices, ndesirable attitude and stupid arrogance based on some self deceit of feeling of superiority by some Nigerians, especially in Ghana, which has caused a lot of hard feelings against Nigeria/Nigerians in almost everywhere you go in Africa, and some ignorant people were talking trash.

We need to changw our attitude and values if we want to be better respected/loved outside our country.

1 Like

Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by olayinka1987: 2:22pm On Apr 05, 2012
Beaf: It is ok to beat our chests in the presence of foreigners, but only for the sake of our pride.
When we at home or in each others company, we must admit the bitter truth to ourselves.

Sometimes I see Nigerians making derogatory remarks about Zimbabwe, but they do not realise that Zimbabwe is far better than Nigeria in almost every developmental index. They have a 90% litteracy rate, manufacturing contributes to 10% of their GDP (projected to rise to 30% in the next two years. They have one of the best road networks in Africa and just like in Europe, if you break down there are phone numbers you can call and somebody will come out to help you. There are very few armed robberies and power cuts.

We should at least strive to be like Zimbabwe before insulting that country in public for no other reason than, we think we are some phucking giant of Africa. What sort of giant cannot manufacture a phucking pin? angry

If Nigeria was like Zinmbabwe the place would collapse.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by Dainfamous: 2:45pm On Apr 05, 2012

GBAM sad sad
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by LFJ: 2:55pm On Apr 05, 2012
If simple truth is hard for us to accept I hope we will not feel ashamed of our ignorance when the reality finally done on us that we are just fake. Do we need anybody to tell us that our future is in danger? Where is the hope for the future? In the name of been patriotic we continue to make fool of ourselves. The simple truth as at today is that Nigeria is a fail country.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by andrewza: 3:11pm On Apr 05, 2012
Nigeria is better than Zimbabwe. There is a massive health problem there and food is incredibly expensive. Most of there great infrastructure was from the old days.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 05, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

I know my history very well, thank you. The countries you're talking of have had their challenges in the past but if you're claiming they [b]currently [/b]trump us in the corruption stakes and all those other little comparisons, I can only say it's a spurious claim to make.

Dude, calm down and read and accept when you've been knocked to the ground. Nowhere did he use the word "Current" when describing corruption in Europe. You can see, clearly, that he was talking about eons ago. Not saying you didn't make valid points, but you're not 100% correct. Accept that simple fact and keep it moving.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by ak47mann(m): 3:20pm On Apr 05, 2012
This is were AK comes in again to remind people especially those who still reside in Nigeria most of their life,it is not new to me or any other realist to know that nigeria collapsed years ago even b4 we were born it is very sad indeed that a lot of years had been wasted on mismanagement and looting including tribalism.Is not going to change if the problem still exist we cant keep pretending that is all good who are we deceiving? ourselves of course their is this word that says when a child is crying and the child is pointing finger on some direction if his mother is not there his or her guidance will be there,self conciseness is what most inhabitants in niger-area are lacking we end up misleading ourselves by separating your behavioral and linguistic understandings..............................
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by pafm247: 4:01pm On Apr 05, 2012
its in the blood...lol
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by Nobody: 4:16pm On Apr 05, 2012
@OP, I personally think our arrogance is because of how Nigeria herself is set up

We have tribal differences and Most Nigerians aggravate it by being tribalistic.

If you are tribalistic, it implies that there has to be a level of arrogance in you ( something that makes you think your tribe is 'better' than others)

It is this tribalistic trend that we carry out onto international scene.

1 Like

Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 05, 2012
Tell them lol
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by LagBlogger(m): 4:30pm On Apr 05, 2012
@ OP

I feel you on this, just like a topic in which I commented "Are Nigerians wicked people" I said that even we Nigerians trust foreigners more than we trust ourselves. We are quick look for loop holes to exploit other people's good faith in us and still expect them to like us. You want people to respect you but you trade your dignity for cheap gain who are the jokers here?

Nigerians have an overrated sense of self and proof of this is in every aspect of our national life. Westerhof made Nigeria a powerhouse in football but Nigerians themselves destroyed the traditions he built where are we now globally in football. This is just one example of how Nigerians make mockery of themselves and still think they are special in the eyes of the world or that people envy them. Why don't people envy Botswanas even when their country's per capital is far better than ours. Why are Nigerians always singled out for humiliation when other Africans can also face the same thing? Don't go on defending the undefendable, Nigerians are their own worst enemies.

1 Like

Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by emsquare(m): 4:40pm On Apr 05, 2012
olayinka1987: Sniff sniff, do you want a tissue incase you burst out crying?

Get over it!!!!

Hmmmmm!!!
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by onila(f): 4:52pm On Apr 05, 2012
Nigerians are arrogrant

Nigerians treat other Africans better than their fellow Nigerians undecided

a Nigerian is nicer 2 a Ghanaian than his fellow Nigerian undecided
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by onila(f): 4:55pm On Apr 05, 2012
Nigerians insult their country all the time in this forum. .how can u call them arrogant?
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by harakiri(m): 4:57pm On Apr 05, 2012
Obi1kenobi: I’ve observed Nigerians are incredibly arrogant and I’m often left wondering what makes this conceited posturing justifiable. I was reading a thread yesterday enquiring as to why South Africans and Ghanaians hate Nigerians and the predictable response from several delusional people was the usual rhetoric about how everyone envies us and what not. I think many of us have to start appreciating a few home truths:
1) Nigeria is one of the most impoverished nations on the planet and ranks extremely low on every single index measuring standard of living and development. We generally only out-perform war-torn or drought ravaged countries like Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea etc.
2) No foreigner who appreciates order and security would love to come to a country like Nigeria. Expatriates in this country are some of the highest paid in the world because of the adverse, hazardous working conditions.
3) Being an overpopulated, lumbering, befuddled giant doesn’t make us the “giant of Africa”. I don’t see why any sensible person should brag about our population as some kind of virtue – else we may as well claim to be greater than every country in Europe simply cos we pop out kids like rabbits putting greater strain on scarce resources. What makes this line of reasoning even worse is that we are a contrived product of our colonial masters who have left us with a big socio-political challenge to surmount. Our size is probably more an inhibitive hindrance than an advantage to thump our chests about.
4) We’re not smarter or richer or better looking than the countries we flood with all our vices. It’s hilarious, pretentious, delusional, wishful thinking. Little separates the average Southern Nigerian from the average Ghanaian or Cameroonian or Ivorian or the average Northern Nigerian from the average Nigerien or Senegalese or Sudanese etc. Any pretentions to the contrary is just subscribing to the delusion that makes us loathed outside these shores.
5) We’re a society as mediocre as they come and applaud mediocrity from the banal music of D’banj to our embarrassing movie industry to the mediocre politicians we love to cheer for the most mundane accomplishments.

Basically, there’s absolutely nothing spectacular about us and our insufferable arrogance is totally unjustified and contributes to why citizens of many other countries find us totally contemptible. When you think of France, you think of well aged Bordeaux wine, high fashion and couture, romance, beautiful cities etc; when you think of Italy, you’re thinking of great cuisine, beautiful ancient cities of Venice, Florence, Rome, great art, opera etc; when Nigeria is heard around the world, people think of scammers and frauds, drug pushers, venal, avaricious politicians, exported prostitutes etc.

That’s why we’re blacklisted from utilizing certain web services, that’s why we’re humiliated and rejected in every embassy. I never subscribe to stereotype and judge everyone on their merits as individuals but I’d like to see a little humility and acknowledgement of our failures as a nation rather than the rabid chest thumping. It’s the first step to making progress.

And for the record, I’m a full-blooded Anambrarian pointing out some plain facts rather than a foreigner on the attack. Personal/national pride is one thing (however misguided); unbridled arrogance and hubris is on a whole different scale.

Well said holmz. Great write up.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by edi287: 5:04pm On Apr 05, 2012
Finally someone who shares my views....funny thing's i don't see what it is that can be said we're better than other African countries at(except for 419, etc). Do we have the potential to be the "giant of Africa"? Certainly but we need to be humble. if i were Jonathan, i would ban everyone from saying this "we are the giant of Africa crap". We have a long way to go before we get that title....Oh yeah and this applies to our football too- no we do not have talents who can hold their own against any team, 90 percent of our coaches are wack and lastly our league has to be among one of the worst leagues around. Stop dwelling on past glories Nigerians, wake up and smell the coffee.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by yd849ja: 5:06pm On Apr 05, 2012
I am not one for argument but on this I'll disagree with you. You see someone as arrogant because of your own inferiority complex or insecurity, So don't tell me someone sees me as been arrogant therefore I'm arrogant that is very subjective in the full sense of the word. Tell me why a South African would feel a Nigerian is arrogant? On what premise? But one thing I know for sure is that we never really appreciate how intelligent and blessed we are as a Nation until we go out there, in spite of all our shortcomings and misgivings we are still a force to reckon with both individually and as a Nation. As far as development is concerned no doubt Nigeria is way behind most of these African countries in the southern hemisphere but that's where it stops, the major contributing factor to that is the presence of the white folks. Africans know we are smart and intelligent people, what we use that for is diverse and that's another story entirely for another day. And you can't rule out the fact that our population is a major influence to that. The fight for limited and scarce resources amongst millions can only make you think faster, smarter and intelligently than the normal, our situation is that of the survival of the fittest which prepare us for worst of situations. So when we get out there into other people's country we become even more advance than them in our thinking and way of life then they see us as been arrogant. America does not have the best living condition in the world and neither is it the best place to live on earth but my friend Americans are the proudest people on earth, you can say the same for us Nigerians. Someone like you would see that as arrogance but amigo I call that been proud of who you are. I'm a Nigerian and I'm forever proud to be one. I wouldn't have had it otherwise.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by Nobody: 5:07pm On Apr 05, 2012
a Nigerian is nicer 2 a Ghanaian than his fellow Nigerian undecided[/quote]

Why should I be nicer to just because we are from same country?

Aren't we all humans irrespective of nationalities?
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by choncholot: 5:09pm On Apr 05, 2012
nigerians living abroad,come back home n contribute ur own quota,instead of staying in london and posting negative remarks about ur country.come down,contest in elections n get elected to office to make a change!u dey talk,go to onitsha market n hustle instead of running off to d uk to go n serve d queen!all countries have issues,naija no b exception!nigerians r proud bc despite all odds,we r survivors n nt whiners like d oyibos!poster get real!i sure say u neva reach naija in d past 10 yrs u still tink say thngs neva change.dont beleive all those your relations wey dey beg u for money,n make u feel tins r so bad here,wen infact many of them spend more than u do.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by damilola15: 6:07pm On Apr 05, 2012
Can't deny that there's and iota of truth in what has been said.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by andrewza: 6:09pm On Apr 05, 2012
yd849ja: Tell me why a South African would feel a Nigerian is arrogant? On what premise?

You think you population is something to be proud about. But we(south african middle class) see it has poor education and stupidity

You think you smarter than every body els. But what have you developed for any body els.

You talk about how you steal our women. But those women are sluts only after the sex and poor choices for a wife. They would have a pooor lobolo

You talk about your super economy. But it is based on one resource(crud oil) that you need out side help to extracted.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by gidiMonsta(m): 6:09pm On Apr 05, 2012
All this self loathing peeps who sees nothing good in themselves are at it again.

Yes we do have our problems but despite these unfortunate circumstances we have a lot of positives that we should be proud of. The reason other Africans feel Nigerians r proud is because we tend to excel at wat we do no matter d condition. The best black doctors in d us r nigerians, d most educated immigrants in d US r Nigerians, Nollywood is d most recognised movie industry in d black world despite d horrible quality of movies churned out, d music industry u ignorantly insulted is numero uno in Africa, even in francophone DRC; the Nigerian auto-parts market is top, Nigerians are the major driving force behind the Ghanaian nd Gambian economy, MTN became the top telco in Africa after they invested in Nigeria, Airtel Bharti bought over Celtel because of d Nigerian market, EMTS paid thru their noses to set up in what u call a shit-hole. Yes we have scammers and drug traffickers but we are not even among d top ten countries in these vices.

Italy is not defined by its mafia, South Africa is not defined by its mercenaries, Russia is not defined by its corruption so why should we allow the vices a few bad eggs commit to define who we are?

3 Likes

Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by LFJ: 6:11pm On Apr 05, 2012
yd849ja: I am not one for argument but on this I'll disagree with you. You see someone as arrogant because of your own inferiority complex or insecurity, So don't tell me someone sees me as been arrogant therefore I'm arrogant that is very subjective in the full sense of the word. Tell me why a South African would feel a Nigerian is arrogant? On what premise? But one thing I know for sure is that we never really appreciate how intelligent and blessed we are as a Nation until we go out there, in spite of all our shortcomings and misgivings we are still a force to reckon with both individually and as a Nation. As far as development is concerned no doubt Nigeria is way behind most of these African countries in the southern hemisphere but that's where it stops, the major contributing factor to that is the presence of the white folks. Africans know we are smart and intelligent people, what we use that for is diverse and that's another story entirely for another day. And you can't rule out the fact that our population is a major influence to that. The fight for limited and scarce resources amongst millions can only make you think faster, smarter and intelligently than the normal, our situation is that of the survival of the fittest which prepare us for worst of situations. So when we get out there into other people's country we become even more advance than them in our thinking and way of life then they see us as been arrogant. America does not have the best living condition in the world and neither is it the best place to live on earth but my friend Americans are the proudest people on earth, you can say the same for us Nigerians. Someone like you would see that as arrogance but amigo I call that been proud of who you are. I'm a Nigerian and I'm forever proud to be one. I wouldn't have had it otherwise.

If you look at the past, the present and you can make effort to look at future with honesty you will agree with me that we are far behind. Where was Ghana and South Africa 20 years ago? Today, both country have every reason to celebrate their success story, at least they move up, can we say this about our country. It is a shame that we cannot provide our people with quality education. Nothing to be proud of, the early we realize this, the better for us.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by onila(f): 6:16pm On Apr 05, 2012
andrewza:

You think you population is something to be proud about. But we(south african middle class) see it has poor education and stupidity

You think you smarter than every body els. But what have you developed for any body els.

You talk about how you steal our women. But those women are sluts only after the sex and poor choices for a wife. They would have a pooor lobolo

You talk about your super economy. But it is based on one resource(crud oil) that you need out side help to extracted.

southern African women especially south Africa and botswana are more opened about their sexuality compared to other African women
most of your women are whor-es! lipsrsealed
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 05, 2012
andrewza:

You have just shown us all the superior south african education and ingenuity at work.

You south africans are a giant joke, especially the black ones, but you do not realise it unfortunately.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by andrewza: 6:25pm On Apr 05, 2012
onila:

southern African women especially south Africa and botswana are more opened about their sexuality compared to other African women
most of your women are whor-es! lipsrsealed

I agree. That why it is nothing to boast about when you sleep with one.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by onila(f): 6:31pm On Apr 05, 2012
andrewza:

I agree. That why it is nothing to boast about when you sleep with one.

grin so u agree yr women r ashawos
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by andrewza: 6:33pm On Apr 05, 2012
Bandit C.:

You have just shown us all the superior south african education and ingenuity at work.

You south africans are a giant joke, especially the black ones, but you do not realise it unfortunately.

How are we a joke?

Strongest economy in africa that is stable and growing.

17 largest stock exchange in the world.

South african company's and a world wide reach and are listed on over seas stock exchanges.

Working infrastructure that is being improved all the time.

We in the process of implementing free health care.

We survived a civil war and have come out has one nation. Though there is no love between whits and blacks, we can still work together.

This is a few things we can be proud about. Should I list more.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by andrewza: 6:37pm On Apr 05, 2012
onila:

grin so u agree yr women r ashawos

Not all of them but enough to make them all seem like whores. This is why AIDS spread so fast down here.
Re: I Hate The Arrogance Of Nigerians!!! by ijigbamigb(m): 6:39pm On Apr 05, 2012
Sincerely, I think the OP has made some points. Though I do not subscribe to the word "arrogant"as best to describe Nigerians but sincerely we need to sit down to decide our fate. Nigerians must face the undeniable fact, that we are not moving towards development at all. We seem to be taking less steps forward and much steps backward. Though some may link our nacsent romance with globalization and ICT to development (as internet and ICT usage seem to have grew in the past 10years) yet the human capacity, production sectors of the economy, infrastructure, security, education, sports, anti-corruption, still falls below par. So what then do we have to boast of.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Real-life Superheroes: People With Incredible Abilities / If You Could Be One Age Forever, What Age Would You Choose? / What Are Some Of The Weird Things You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.