Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

UK Government - Am I Missing Something Here Or Is It Just A Rip Off? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Government - Am I Missing Something Here Or Is It Just A Rip Off? (1369 Views)

UK Government Announces New Steps Against Illegal Immigrants / Nigerian Visa Rip Off / Is The Uk Government Spying On Nigerians Getting Married In The Uk? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Government - Am I Missing Something Here Or Is It Just A Rip Off? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 24, 2012
I started my visa application for a fulltime MBA in middlesex university, paid the initial deposit fee of 4000GBP and 250GBP to secure accomodation.

I got the visa (1yr, six months)but decided to defer it as i got a new job that i couldnt resist the offer.

Two weeks later after i deferred the admission(from september 2011 to January 2012), got a letter from the scholl that i have to apply for another visa even though the one i still have is valid.

I couldnt get them to explain the reason why i should but said its the requirement.

Its crazy as the visa application fee was almost 70,000naira.

ok, i got an advise from a friend to do my MBA online with that i could still keep my job. which really made sense to me and i decided to enrol with Edinburgh Business school.

Now, with a valid student visa and a student in the UK, i cant go the UK since i didnt start my course(Middlesex) when am supposed to start.

Right now i cant even go to Edinburgh School for seminar because the student visa is not valid even though am a student.

Question: Can i get back my money from middlesex? or the UK Government. my case is Right now am a student with a student visa but cant go to the UK except i apply for another one.

2. Is it possible for them to cancel the visa (so i can get my money back)? written to the embassy 3times now but no reply.

Folks,Am i missing something here or is it just a rip off from UK government. If am missing something here, it should be clearly pointed out to me and others so we all learn from it,

if its just a rip off, then......
Re: UK Government - Am I Missing Something Here Or Is It Just A Rip Off? by justwise(m): 8:44pm On Mar 24, 2012
Why exactly are you blaming the UK govt and not the school? When you cancelled the course they are supposed to refund you the deposit minus administrative cost. There is no reason why they shouldn't do that.

You can write UK embassy from now to 2020 you will not get that money back because you are writing to the wrong people.
Re: UK Government - Am I Missing Something Here Or Is It Just A Rip Off? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Mar 24, 2012
@Justwise thanks for the comment.

The school stated that the fees can only be refundable if i was refused a visa, and nothing was mentioned about applying for a new visa if i defer.

Why i partially blame the UK is that they considered the Visa invalid since i didnt enrol in that particular school, even though i enrolled in another.

ok, i contacted the UK embassy to officially cancelled the visa by paper (Since its invalid) in order for me to get my money back. At least something should be done here. But never heard back from them.
Re: UK Government - Am I Missing Something Here Or Is It Just A Rip Off? by justwise(m): 12:52am On Mar 25, 2012
Vikin: @Justwise thanks for the comment.

The school stated that the fees can only be refundable if i was refused a visa, and nothing was mentioned about applying for a new visa if i defer.

Why i partially blame the UK is that they considered the Visa invalid since i didnt enrol in that particular school, even though i enrolled in another.

ok, i contacted the UK embassy to officially cancelled the visa by paper (Since its invalid) in order for me to get my money back. At least something should be done here. But never heard back from them.

Your visa is linked to your school and CAS number, you can't use it to study in another school apart from that particular school that issued you that CAS, that was why they told you that the visa is invalid for another university.
Re: UK Government - Am I Missing Something Here Or Is It Just A Rip Off? by Nobody: 7:07am On Mar 25, 2012
^^^Thanks for that.

Assuming i was deferring, which i applied earlier..I would be required to get a new CAS no. which i need to apply for another Student visa for same school.

I just want to kow if it will be possible to offically cancel the invalid visa so i can at least get part of my money.

If not, tough luck.
Re: UK Government - Am I Missing Something Here Or Is It Just A Rip Off? by justwise(m): 8:15am On Mar 25, 2012
Vikin: ^^^Thanks for that.

Assuming i was deferring, which i applied earlier..I would be required to get a new CAS no. which i need to apply for another Student visa for same school.

I just want to kow if it will be possible to offically cancel the invalid visa so i can at least get part of my money.

If not, tough luck.

You really have to disuse with the school, even if you cancelled the visa getting the more back from the school will be difficult because you were given admission, issued a visa but if changed your mind and the school stated that you will only be refunded IF your visa application were refused.

(1) (Reply)

Passenger Posted Joke About Missing Flight As He Boarded Jet / Studying And Living In Australia / Nigerians In Brazil How Do You Survive ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.