Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,231 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Britain Warns Nigeria Over Threat To Ban Virgin & British Airways - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Britain Warns Nigeria Over Threat To Ban Virgin & British Airways (13028 Views)

Nigeria Airways Plane Being Prepared For Take-Off In Ikeja, Lagos In 1969 (Pic) / British Airways Overshot Runway At Abuja International Airport / Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Britain Warns Nigeria Over Threat To Ban Virgin & British Airways by aikuda(m): 4:29pm On Mar 28, 2012
Prof JYK:

Try see if from this angle. The lower fares for Ghana and could b because they want to get more passengers (possibly Nigerians looking for better bargain) so as to run optimum utility. Maybe Accra-London flights fly empty like Arik's ABV-LHR and in economic wisdom, BA decided that lower fares will b a good incentive to attract london bound passengers in d west african sub-region. The NG-UK BASA allows 21 flights for each country and d UK has used all, if not they coulda created one more frequency to absorb d rising demand.

I respect your take on this. It is still a hypothetical situation described above, because they definitely dont lack first class travlerss from ghana, for example. And even if they do cheap promotional fares to encourage people to use first class, it should be temporary. The Government is complaining because of the permanent price disparity which is potential trade agreement violation. Moreover, But why should their lack of competitiveness in other western african countries be the problem of Nigerian flyers. Its obvious, they have been taking us for granted for 75 years, and they dont believe anybody can do anything about it. Now that the government is standing up to them, I will expect Nigerians (whether you take first class or not) to support them. Its all about image. Next time other companies will think twice before they take us for a "ride" in the future. One step at a time my brother.
Re: Britain Warns Nigeria Over Threat To Ban Virgin & British Airways by manny4life(m): 5:40pm On Mar 28, 2012
aikuda: All these economist wannabes that keep relating the high cost of flight to nigeria to demand and supply, have your heard of economies of scale? The price in nigeria is supposed to be cheaper because of the size of the market. The risk of flying empty seats to and from Nigeria is lower than any other West African country.

I think is about how they us Nigerians. Its a good thing the Government is stepping up. They have been taking us for granted for 75 years, so is high time someone put a stop to it.

Lol at economist wannabes, I couldn't help but stop laughing. Well, I have to agree with your thoughts, however, I still believe in competition and customer reaction. If Nigerians deem that they charge them so much, look for other alternatives.

Akan: why should an economy ticket from Lagos to London cost N250000 when an economy ticket from London to Lagos only cost N140000.

Simple! The associated cost of booking tickets from London is cheaper than Nigeria. For Instance it could be taxes, fees, equipments, etc. In London, the risk associated level is low as opposed to Nigeria, makes sense why it's more expensive.
Re: Britain Warns Nigeria Over Threat To Ban Virgin & British Airways by Iretia(m): 11:22am On Apr 02, 2012
I have just done a price comparison search on Opodo.co.uk for flights from London to Lagos for April 18, 2012 to April 25, 2012. (see below the screenshot of the search result)

Arik Air's price is £743 whilst Virgin Atlantic is £692. The implication of this is that Arik Air is far more expensive than Virgin Atlantic. This confirms to me that the problem of regional price disparity in Nigeria, has nothing to do with foreign airlines.

It is a known fact that Arik Air is far more expensive than BA and VA sometimes, so whats this hullabaloo about foreign airlines' discriminatory pricing regime in Nigeria?
There is something fundamentally wrong with the pricing elements of flights to/from Nigeria and that is what the Honorable Minister of Aviation should tackle -not this shadow chasing

Re: Britain Warns Nigeria Over Threat To Ban Virgin & British Airways by martinosi: 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2012
cap28: This is what you get when you remain a slave and lackey to a western power.

This is what you get when you allow foreigners to come in and privatise every valuable asset and utility in your country in order to make as much money out of your populace as possible, we are now reaping the fruits of privatisation at the hands of enslavers.

I thought that when two countries enter into bilateral trade agreements both parties derive mutual benefits from it, why is it that the only party that seems to be benefitting from this bilateral trade agreement is the UK?

This is the first time that i ve heaard of air fares continuing to go up despite the high volume of passengers on a route- i thought the reverse was supposed to be the case?

why is it that it costs less to fly from the United Kingdom to most major cities in the United States than it does to fly from lagos or abuja to london which is a mere 6 hour flight? i think i know the answer - the most lucrative air route is being operated as a monopoly by british airways and virgin atlantic at the expense of the nigerian people.

this is why they can exploit nigerian passengers with impunity, the stu.pid nigerian govt under the guidance of obasanjo went ahead and sold off nigeria airways to the british and now they are milking us for every penny we've got.

isnt it a big shame that we do not have a national carrier? can you imagine britain allowing british airways and virgin atlantic to be sold off to the chinese? can you even begin to imagine how the british people would go crazy if they found out that the major airlines operating flights out of britain were owned by china?

but in nigeria anything goes - this is why we have britain running and operating one of the most profitable air routes in the world and people think its normal - what a shame!!!

it is the pride and joy of a nation to run and operate its own national carrier -

when are we going to stop allowing ourselves to be treated like docile fools?

SEE BOLD - What a shame to the Nigerian Govt/Airline Industry...
That why i dont fly Virgin/BA...they are a bunch of Blood Suckers!!!

And if you look at it closely..even White people avoid flying Virgin/BA when they
can as they know they are a bunch of crooks too!!!
Re: Britain Warns Nigeria Over Threat To Ban Virgin & British Airways by seangy4konji: 5:46pm On Aug 11, 2013
I never for once tthink am say I wan go dat UK self as even all my people deh dere...na by force make ba and virgin enter nigeria?if dem no reduce price,make dem no fly enter here and make arik self no fly enter there and arik go find better destination to deh go...dos fucking brits know say dem deh see us scam as plenty people deh fly from lagos and abuja so dem no fit afford to loose dat awoof money weh frequent fliers deh give dem...u go check how many times dem deh fly from zimbabwe and u go see say naiga na better market.make goverment stand their ground but no they won't,when hundred of thousands of pounds change account number now,all is history...make God just save me from this country make I find escape unless I get job,o,I go still deh curse dis baskat country...awom oloshi
Re: Britain Warns Nigeria Over Threat To Ban Virgin & British Airways by seangy4konji: 5:51pm On Aug 11, 2013
The other day weh I deh go uae weh I ask say how mush b transport money with bad man just laugh say she I i tell am say I no too get money so flying british,if he tell me price,I go think say na moon dem wan transport me too...I fly emirate jeje and my leg touch ground succesfully...no b everybody deh do drugs or steal public money...abi na space shuttle endevour dem deh use carry passengers ni?awon oloshi
Re: Britain Warns Nigeria Over Threat To Ban Virgin & British Airways by Nobody: 8:42pm On Aug 11, 2013
seangy4konji: The other day weh I deh go uae weh I ask say how mush b transport money with bad man just laugh say she I i tell am say I no too get money so flying british,if he tell me price,I go think say na moon dem wan transport me too...I fly emirate jeje and my leg touch ground succesfully...no b everybody deh do drugs or steal public money...abi na space shuttle endevour dem deh use carry passengers ni?awon oloshi
You try my brother. They are all thieves. I was coming from North Cyprus and Turkish airline say make I pay 1600TL for one way but, when I continue to do my research, I see Etihad for 1000TL and I ate a lot compare to when I first use Turkish airline and at the end, I land jeje

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Christmas: Police Warn Nigerians, List Safety Tips For Travellers / The Fate Of Public Transportation In Nigeria / Lagos City Marathon 2018: LASTMA Announces Traffic Diversion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.