Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion (13679 Views)

Athiesm The "No God" Religion / A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) / Atheism: The “No-God” Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by mykejones(m): 9:28pm On Mar 28, 2012
Comin2NL dis days greatly terrifies me.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by God2man(m): 9:31pm On Mar 28, 2012
Let us stop deceiving ourselves on nairaland, there is nothing like atheism here, it is just a game.
Why are they always in doubt when it comes to the existence of God, they are never sure, why? There is an inner voice asking them the same question: do you really think God does not exist?
God2man.

1 Like

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by ssii: 9:33pm On Mar 28, 2012
Funny thing is, these people who say there is no God when in trouble try to look for supernatural powers by going to a witch doctor, herbalist, crystal ball reader, mediums and the likes. They believe in supernatural powers or forces but don't believe in God. Your unbelief does not change the fact that there is a God who created the universe, He holds the world by the power of His word.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Pakavy(m): 9:44pm On Mar 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

That is not the religion that made people lazy . . . it is what they already have in them.
Cos even the bible says that a "hand that does not work should not eat", the bible says that a lazy man will eat bones and wear rags,so how could religion now make them lazy.
People are just generally lazy and wanna be lazy . . . .
u wuld make a gud pastor.lets open a joint venture pls.dere is money to b made there!!!
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by SNCOQ3(m): 9:45pm On Mar 28, 2012
Kay 17: ^^
But sufferings, sins and the devil are imperfections, right? How did imperfections come to being?

I do not mean to be disrespectful but lumping "sufferings, sins and devil" in this context is unintelligent. Show some intelligence by treating this words in their "cause and effect" order then you'll deserve an answer from me.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by achmed1(m): 9:52pm On Mar 28, 2012
There are forces existing among us beyond our comprehension.
We cant fully prove the existence of God but i tell you one thing i know for sure, Evil exists...Satan and his comrades exists.

There is a lot science cant explain.
For people in the west juju and other spiritual medium mit seem a lie, for us here i cant tell you this powers really exist.

I witnessed with my very eyes a robber being shot many times at close range but he just dusted it and escaped
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by logicboy: 9:55pm On Mar 28, 2012
ssii: Funny thing is, these people who say there is no God when in trouble try to look for supernatural powers by going to a witch doctor, herbalist, crystal ball reader, mediums and the likes. They believe in supernatural powers or forces but don't believe in God. Your unbelief does not change the fact that there is a God who created the universe, He holds the world by the power of His word.

That is just false. I'm an atheist and I dont believe in God or any supernatural powers. I rather choose science and scientists that have brought us computers, drugs, weapons, mobile phones and television than some pastor that slaps girls or a book written by cavemen.

I dont believe in God because of slavery....that's when I stopped being a christian- when I learnt that slavery is regulated in the bible and Christianity came into Nigeria with slavery. Quotes from the bible;

Leviticus 25:44
"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

1 Peter 2:18
"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh."

Titus 2:9
"Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them"

What about God having a chosen people (Isrealites)......is that not racist? Why did God talk to only Jews? Why did he not talk to West Africans? Christianity did not come to West Africa until the 15th/16th century with slavery. Look at the old testament; From Abraham to Moses to Jesus- Jews. All humans are created equal be it Jew or black or white but the biblical God is a racist.

Furthermore, How is the Christian God different from Zeus or Allah or Ogun or Odin? Every religion claims that their God is real, why is yours better?

Lastly, why does God allow suffering? Why weren't you born in Somalia and starving? Is it because youi prayed hard or are holier than Somalians? Or it is their destiny to be sufferers? No. God does not exist.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by 4litres: 10:01pm On Mar 28, 2012
Adekdammy: @op, God created d heavens and d earth, so those planets are part of d heavens d bible referred to in gen 1 vs 1 (niv), so my dear, God exists

Who wrote d bible then?
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by obelisk(m): 10:28pm On Mar 28, 2012
@logicboy, you have explained it like a boss!
Furthermore is the inequality between the sexes and also the heaps of assumptions.
"the bible was inspired by God"
How do you know?
"because the bible says so"
BTW, what will you christians be doing in heaven? I hear your muslim brothers will be banging all n sundry.
Science has few answers and religion has less than few answers.Lets not fight ,lets just bring out our heads from the sand and keep searching for the answers that man has always sought.

1 Like

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by SNCOQ3(m): 10:30pm On Mar 28, 2012
for all this ignorant atheist in the house whom have arrogated science to themselves; Know that in the real world, Christian Scientists have done more to advance science than atheist can ever wish for.

Christian Scientist and Thinkers
------------------------------------------------------------
Living
This section concerns significant Christian thinkers in science who are alive today. Those who lead organizations of Christians in science or who write works concerning how Christians of today respond to science.
-------------------------
Christopher Isham
(born 1944)

Theoretical physicist who developed HPO formalism. He teaches at Imperial College London. In addition to being a physicist, he is a philosopher and theologian.
Eric Priest
(born 1943)

An authority on Solar Magnetohydrodynamics who won the George Ellery Hale Prize among others. He has spoken on Christianity and Science at the University of St Andrews and is a member of the Faraday Institute. An image from St. Andrews is shown. He is also interested in prayer, meditation, and Christian psychology.
Donald Knuth
(born 1938
)(Lutheran) The Art of Computer Programming and 3:16 Bible Texts Illuminated (1991),
Michał Heller
(born 1936)

He is a Catholic priest, a member of the Pontifical Academy of Theology, a founding member of the International Society for Science and Religion. He also is a mathematical physicist who has written articles on relativistic physics and Noncommutative geometry. His cross-disciplinary book Creative Tension: Essays on Science and Religion came out in 2003. For this work he won a Templeton Prize.
John Polkinghorne
(born 1930)

British particle physicist and Anglican priest who wrote Science and the Trinity (2004) ISBN 0-300-10445-6. Winner of the 2002 Templeton Prize.
Antonino Zichichi
(born 1929)

Italian nuclear physicist and former President of the Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare. He has worked with the Vatican on relations between the Church and Science.
------------------------
Larry Wall
(born 1954)

An American programmer, Wall is the author of the rn Usenet client and the nearly universally-used patch program. Wall developed the Perl interpreter and language while working for Unisys. He is the co-author of Programming Perl (published by O'Reilly), which is the definitive resource for Perl programmers. Wall frequently refers to his Christian faith when speaking in public about Perl.
Charles Hard Townes(born 1915)
In 1964 he won the Nobel Prize in Physics and in 1966 he wrote The Convergence of Science and Religion. The picture is of Townes with Dr. Roderic Pettigrew, Townes is on the right.
Freeman Dyson
(born 1923)

He has won the Lorentz Medal, the Max Planck Medal, and the Lewis Thomas Prize. He also ranked 25th in The 2005 Global Intellectuals Poll. He has won the Templeton Prize and delivered one of the Gifford Lectures. Although Dyson says "I am myself a Christian", he also adds "I am a practicing Christian but not a believing Christian. To me, to worship God means to recognize that mind and intelligence are woven into the fabric of our universe in a way that altogether surpasses our comprehension."
Antonino Zichichi
(born 1929)

Italian nuclear physicist and former President of the Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare. He has worked with the Vatican on relations between the Church and Science.
Jennifer Wiseman
She is Chief of the Laboratory for Exoplanets and Stellar Astrophysics at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. An aerial of the Center is shown. In addition she is a co-discoverer of 114P/Wiseman-Skiff. In religion is a Fellow of the American Scientific Affiliation and on June 16, 2010 became the new director for the American Association for the Advancement of Science's Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion
--------------------------
John Lennox
Mathematician and Pastoral adviser. His works include the mathematical The Theory of Infinite Soluble Groups and the religion-oriented God's Undertaker – Has Science buried God? He has also debated religion with Richard Dawkins. He teaches at Oxford
----------------------------
Martin Nowak
(born 1965)

Evolutionary biologist and mathematician best known for evolutionary dynamics. He teaches at Harvard University, which is pictured in an old drawing.
-----------------------------
Stephen Barr
Physicist who worked at Brookhaven National Laboratory and contributed papers to Physical Review as well as Physics Today. He also is a Catholic who writes for First Things and wrote Modern Physics and Ancient Faith. He teaches at the University of Delaware
------------------------------
Denis Alexander
Director of the Faraday Institute and author of Rebuilding the Matrix – Science and Faith in the 21st Century. He also supervises a research group in cancer and immunology at the Babraham Institute
--------------------------------
John D. Barrow
(born 1952)

English cosmologist who did notable writing on the implications of the Anthropic principle. He is a United Reformed Church member and Christian deist. He won the Templeton Prize in 2006. He once held the position of Gresham Professor of Astronomy
Francis Collins
(born 1950)

He is the current director of the National Institutes of Health and former director of the US National Human Genome Research Institute. He has also written on religious matters in articles and in Faith and the Human Genome he states the importance to him of "the literal and historical Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, which is the cornerstone of what I believe." He wrote the book The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief

----------------------------------
Robert T. Bakker
(born 1945)

Paleontologist who was a figure in the "dinosaur Renaissance" and known for the theory some dinosaurs were Warm-blooded. He is also a Pentecostal preacher who advocates theistic evolution and has written on religion

H F Schafer
He wrote Science and Christianity: Conflict or Coherence? ISBN 0-9742975-0-X and is a signatory of A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism. He was awarded the American Chemical Society Award in Pure Chemistry in 1979
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science

More to come...
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by obelisk(m): 10:36pm On Mar 28, 2012
Just an innocent question: if a baby dies will he/she go to hell since he/she didnt accept the christian salvation?
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 10:39pm On Mar 28, 2012
obelisk: Just an innocent question: if a baby dies will he/she go to hell since he/she didnt accept the christian salvation?

Such a child is innocent and surely will be in heaven
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by SNCOQ3(m): 10:40pm On Mar 28, 2012
More Christian Scientists and Thinkers

2001–today (21st century)

Allan Sandage
(1926–2010)

An astronomer who did not really study Christianity until after age forty. He wrote the article A Scientist Reflects on Religious Belief and made discoveries concerning the Cigar Galaxy
Stanley Jaki
(1924–2009)

Benedictine priest and Distinguished Professor of Physics at Seton Hall University, New Jersey, who won a Templeton Prize and advocated the idea modern science could only have arisen in a Christian society
C. F. von Weizsäcker
(1912–2007)

German nuclear physicist who is the co-discoverer of the Bethe-Weizsäcker formula. His The Relevance of Science: Creation and Cosmogony concerned Christian and moral impacts of science. He headed the Max Planck Society from 1970 to 1980. After that he retired to be a Christian pacifist
Arthur Peacocke
(1924–2006)

Anglican priest and biochemist, his ideas may have influenced Anglican and Lutheran views of evolution. Winner of the 2001 Templeton Prize. He was a Dean at Clare College, Cambridge,
Richard Smalley
(1943–2005)

A Nobel Laureate in Chemistry known for buckyballs. In his last years he renewed an interest in Christianity and supported Intelligent design. He taught at Rice University,
Sir Robert Boyd (1922–2004)
The London University by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd 1827-28.JPG A pioneer in British space science who was Vice President of the Royal Astronomical Society. He lectured on faith being a founder of the "Research Scientists' Christian Fellowship" and an important member of its predecessor Christians in Science. He was connected to the University College London.

More to come....
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 10:44pm On Mar 28, 2012
Pakavy: u wuld make a gud pastor.lets open a joint venture pls.dere is money to b made there!!!

Ha ha ha ha . . . Very funny.
I have not been called to be a pastor . . . Lol
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by SNCOQ3(m): 10:52pm On Mar 28, 2012
More Christian Scientists and Thinkers (part 3)

--------------------------------------
Georges Lemaître (1894–1966)
Roman Catholic priest who was first to propose the Big B.ang theory.
George Stokes (1819–1903)
A minister's son, he wrote a book on Natural Theology. He was also one of the Presidents of the Royal Society and made contributions to Fluid dynamics.
George Salmon (1819–1904)

He won the Copley Medal for his mathematical works. In theology his book An Historical Introduction to the Study of the Books of the New Testament was widely read and he wrote rebuttals to John Henry Newman tracts
Henry Baker Tristram (1822–1906)
A founding member of the British Ornithologists' Union. His publications included The Natural History of the Bible (1867) and The Fauna and Flora of Palestine (1884)
Lord Kelvin (1824–1907)
He gave a famous address to the Christian Evidence Society. In science he won the Copley Medal, the Royal Medal, and was important in Thermodynamics.
Pierre Duhem (1861–1916)
He worked on Thermodynamic potentials and wrote histories advocating that the Roman Catholic Church helped advance science.
Georg Cantor (1845–1918 .)
Lutheran who wrote on religious topics and had an interest in Medieval theology. Revolutionized the mathematical notion of infinity by the introduction of set theory.
-------------------------------------
Henrietta Swan Leavitt (1868–1921)
A minister's daughter and noted astronomer who was the head of Photometry (astronomy) at Harvard. A practicing Congregationalist, Leavitt was the descendant of early Massachusetts Bay Colony Puritan settlers
Dmitri Egorov (1869–1931)

Russian mathematician who made significant contributions to the broader areas of differential geometry. He was an Imiaslavie who defended religion during the Soviet era. In 1930 the Soviets arrested and imprisoned him as a "religious sectarian." He died of a hunger strike in protest.
Mihajlo Idvorski Pupin (1858–1935)
Serbian-American physicist, chemist, and inventor. He won the Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography in 1924. His The New Reformation: From Physical to Spiritual Realities concerns religion and spirituality. He also wrote the forward to Science & Religion: A Symposium
Pavel Florensky (1882–1937)
Russian Orthodox priest who wrote a book on Dielectrics and wrote of imaginary numbers having a relationship to the Kingdom of God.

More to come...
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Heathen(m): 11:00pm On Mar 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Such a child is innocent and surely will be in heaven
correct me if am wrong but arent we all born sinners?ie according to the
bible. Surely the child would end up in hell?

1 Like

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 11:06pm On Mar 28, 2012
Heathen: correct me if am wrong but arent we all born sinners?ie according to the

There is a huge difference between being born a sinner and being a sinner yourself.
Also, on the cross, before Jesus said, it is finished, He said, Father forgive them for they know not what they doing.
So the sin that the child was born into is not same as the sin we committed in person . . . . So that child aint going into no hell but heaven, till such a child is old enough to commit those sins.
So amazing that questions like this is what we worrying about and not of those that are more important, which is our own sins
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 11:08pm On Mar 28, 2012
Heathen: correct me if am wrong but arent we all born sinners?ie according to the

Always nice to be educated on a subject, rather than just pick something out of context . . . there is a part in the bible that said, the soul that sinneth, shall die, not the one that inherit the sin
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by akigbemaru: 11:09pm On Mar 28, 2012
I do believe in God but detest any religion of any form. They are all sham. It is not but a modern day slavery. This is nothing call Jesus, everything about his life was fictional. How come that nobody from Isreal bears Jesus by name. It's on spanish people that bear Jesus, which goes by esus in real pronounciation.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 11:16pm On Mar 28, 2012
akigbemaru: I do believe in God but detest any religion of any form. They are all sham. It is not but a modern day slavery. This is nothing call Jesus, everything about his life was fictional. How come that nobody from Isreal bears Jesus by name. It's on spanish people that bear Jesus, which goes by esus in real pronounciation.

So there are no names in Nigeria that people do not go by them anymore?
Was Jesus his last name that people have and MUST go by the name?

So many argument on this thread that really makes me laff in Lagos language . . .
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by ORMORT: 11:16pm On Mar 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Always nice to be educated on a subject, rather than just pick something out of context . . . there is a part in the bible that said, the soul that sinneth, shall die, not the one that inherit the sin
gbao
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by SNCOQ3(m): 11:30pm On Mar 28, 2012
More Christian Scientists and Thinkers (part 3)...continue

---------------------------------------------
Max Planck cool(1858–1947)

He won the 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics and is considered the founder of Quantum mechanics. He had been raised an observant Lutheran and was an elder in his church from 1920 to his death. In 1937 he delivered the lecture, "Religion and Natural Science", stating that both religion and science require a belief in God

Agnes Giberne (1845–1939)
She wrote for the Religious Tract Society and was a founding member of the British Astronomical Association. The picture comes from her book Sun, Moon and Stars, which references the Bible while discussing science.
John Ambrose Fleming (1849–1945)
In science he is noted for the Right-hand rule and work on vacuum tubes, hence the picture of a Fleming valve. He also won the Hughes Medal. In religious activities he was President of the Victoria Institute, involved in the Creation Science Movement, and preached at St Martin-in-the-Fields. cool

Edward Arthur Milne (1896–1950)

British astrophysicist and mathematicians who proposed the Milne model and had a Moon crater named for him. In addition he won several awards one of which, the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society, is pictured. His last book was Modern Cosmology and the Christian Idea of God.

Robert Millikan (1868–1953)
The second son of Reverend Silas Franklin Millikan, he wrote about the reconciliation of science and religion in books like Evolution in Science and Religion. He won the 1923 Nobel Prize in Physics.
Charles Stine (1882–1954)
The son of a minister who was VP of DuPont. In religion he wrote A Chemist and His Bible and as a chemist he won the Perkin Medal
E. T. Whittaker (1873–1956)
Converted to Catholicism in 1930 and member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences. His 1946 Donnellan Lecture was entitled on Space and Spirit. Theories of the Universe and the Arguments for the Existence of God. He also received the Copley Medal and had written on Mathematical physics before conversion.
Arthur Compton (1892–1962)
He won a Nobel Prize in Physics. He also was a deacon in the Baptist Church and wrote an article in Christianity Takes a Stand that supported the controversial idea of the United States maintaining the peace through a nuclear-armed air force.

David Lack (1910–1973)
Director of the Edward Grey Institute of Field Ornithology and convert who wrote Evolutionary Theory and Christian Belief in 1957. As he is in part known for his study of the genus Euplectes a Black-winged Red Bishop is pictured.

Charles Coulson (1910–1974)

Methodist who wrote Science and Christian Belief in 1955. In 1970 he won the Davy Medal
Theodosius Dobzhansky (1900–1975)
Russian Orthodox geneticist who criticized young Earth creationism in an essay, "Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution," and argued that science and faith did not conflict.
Henry Eyring (1901–1981)
American chemist known for developing the Eyring equation. Also a Latter-Day Saint whose interactions with LDS President Joseph Fielding Smith on science and faith are a part of LDS history.
William G. Pollard (1911–1989)
Anglican priest who wrote Physicist and Christian. In addition he worked on the Manhattan Project and for years served as the executive director of Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies.
Aldert van der Ziel (1910–1991)
He researched Flicker noise and has the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers named an award for him. The IEEE corporate office is pictured. He also was a conservative Lutheran who wrote The Natural Sciences and the Christian Message.
Carlos Chagas Filho (1910–2000)
Neuroscientist who headed the Pontifical Academy of Sciences for 16 years. He studied the Shroud of Turin and his "the Origin of the Universe", "the Origin of Life", and "the Origin of Man" involved an understanding between Catholicism and Science. He was from Rio de Janeiro, hence the well known Christ the Redeemer statue is pictured.
more to come....
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by SNCOQ3(m): 11:40pm On Mar 28, 2012
akigbemaru: I do believe in God but detest any religion of any form. They are all sham. It is not but a modern day slavery. This is nothing call Jesus, everything about his life was fictional. How come that nobody from Isreal bears Jesus by name. It's on spanish people that bear Jesus, which goes by Jesus in real pronounciation.

Wrong. Jesus Christ has been proven to be a historical personage. Please do your research.

akigbemaru: I do believe in God but detest any religion of any form. They are all sham. It is not but a modern day slavery. This is nothing call Jesus, everything about his life was fictional. How come that nobody from Isreal bears Jesus by name. It's on spanish people that bear Jesus, which goes by Jesus in real pronounciation.

'Jesus' is a westernized form of the hebrew Joshua, Yeshua, Jehoshua, Hoshea. It means: The Lord is my Salvation.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by 3kay945(m): 11:54pm On Mar 28, 2012
SNCOQ3: More Christian Scientists and Thinkers (part 3)...continue

Max Planck (1858–1947)

He won the 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics and is considered the founder of Quantum mechanics. He had been raised an observant Lutheran and was an elder in his church from 1920 to his death. In 1937 he delivered the lecture, "Religion and Natural Science", stating that both religion and science require a belief in God

Agnes Giberne (1845–1939)
She wrote for the Religious Tract Society and was a founding member of the British Astronomical Association. The picture comes from her book Sun, Moon and Stars, which references the Bible while discussing science.
John Ambrose Fleming (1849–1945)
In science he is noted for the Right-hand rule and work on vacuum tubes, hence the picture of a Fleming valve. He also won the Hughes Medal. In religious activities he was President of the Victoria Institute, involved in the Creation Science Movement, and preached at St Martin-in-the-Fields. cool

Edward Arthur Milne (1896–1950)

British astrophysicist and mathematicians who proposed the Milne model and had a Moon crater named for him. In addition he won several awards one of which, the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society, is pictured. His last book was Modern Cosmology and the Christian Idea of God.

Robert Millikan (1868–1953)
The second son of Reverend Silas Franklin Millikan, he wrote about the reconciliation of science and religion in books like Evolution in Science and Religion. He won the 1923 Nobel Prize in Physics.
Charles Stine (1882–1954)
The son of a minister who was VP of DuPont. In religion he wrote A Chemist and His Bible and as a chemist he won the Perkin Medal
E. T. Whittaker (1873–1956)
Converted to Catholicism in 1930 and member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences. His 1946 Donnellan Lecture was entitled on Space and Spirit. Theories of the Universe and the Arguments for the Existence of God. He also received the Copley Medal and had written on Mathematical physics before conversion.
Arthur Compton (1892–1962)
He won a Nobel Prize in Physics. He also was a deacon in the Baptist Church and wrote an article in Christianity Takes a Stand that supported the controversial idea of the United States maintaining the peace through a nuclear-armed air force.

David Lack (1910–1973)
Director of the Edward Grey Institute of Field Ornithology and convert who wrote Evolutionary Theory and Christian Belief in 1957. As he is in part known for his study of the genus Euplectes a Black-winged Red Bishop is pictured.

Charles Coulson (1910–1974)

Methodist who wrote Science and Christian Belief in 1955. In 1970 he won the Davy Medal
Theodosius Dobzhansky (1900–1975)
Russian Orthodox geneticist who criticized young Earth creationism in an essay, "Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution," and argued that science and faith did not conflict.
Henry Eyring (1901–1981)
American chemist known for developing the Eyring equation. Also a Latter-Day Saint whose interactions with LDS President Joseph Fielding Smith on science and faith are a part of LDS history.
William G. Pollard (1911–1989)
Anglican priest who wrote Physicist and Christian. In addition he worked on the Manhattan Project and for years served as the executive director of Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies.
Aldert van der Ziel (1910–1991)
He researched Flicker noise and has the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers named an award for him. The IEEE corporate office is pictured. He also was a conservative Lutheran who wrote The Natural Sciences and the Christian Message.
Carlos Chagas Filho (1910–2000)
Neuroscientist who headed the Pontifical Academy of Sciences for 16 years. He studied the Shroud of Turin and his "the Origin of the Universe", "the Origin of Life", and "the Origin of Man" involved an understanding between Catholicism and Science. He was from Rio de Janeiro, hence the well known Christ the Redeemer statue is pictured.
more to come....
Will you please stop flooding the thread! Abi what do you intend to gain from this?
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by ceejayluv(m): 11:55pm On Mar 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Ha ha ha ha . . . Very funny.
I have not been called to be a pastor . . . Lol
called?? Are you like waiting for a voice to command u to be a pastor? Or you are plainly not inclined to be 1 yet?
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by SNCOQ3(m): 11:59pm On Mar 28, 2012
Please relax with this lovely music while i compile the remaining list...

[flash]<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_OTz-lpDjw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"</object>[/flash]
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Kay17: 12:02am On Mar 29, 2012
SNCOQ3:

I do not mean to be disrespectful but lumping "sufferings, sins and devil" in this context is unintelligent. Show some intelligence by treating this words in their "cause and effect" order then you'll deserve an answer from me.

I was merely stating the common trait/nature among the three "evils". As said earlier, since they are imperfections, how did they come into being??
achmed1: There are forces existing among us beyond our comprehension.
We cant fully prove the existence of God but i tell you one thing i know for sure, Evil exists...Satan and his comrades exists.

And how did this forces which are beyond your comprehension, then fall into it?? If you are not sure of God's existence or identity and whether he is the devil playing and discombobulating your mind, then what are you worshipping??

You can't vouch and claim to know what's not in your understanding. If you are confused about your beliefs why mock atheists??

Besides its someone like you that can easily believe water can be drawn from an empty well (supernatural)
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by 3kay945(m): 12:04am On Mar 29, 2012
Fhemmmy:

There is a huge difference between being born a sinner and being a sinner yourself.
Also, on the cross, before Jesus said, it is finished, He said, Father forgive them for they know not what they doing.
So the sin that the child was born into is not same as the sin we committed in person . . . . So that child aint going into no hell but heaven, till such a child is old enough to commit those sins.
So amazing that questions like this is what we worrying about and not of those that are more important, which is our own sins
What about the babies born blind or crippled? What sin is he payin for? Inheritd or self+made sin or parent mistake or stupidity?
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Nobody: 12:18am On Mar 29, 2012
The reason is that nothing like god exist!It's just a false idea, something the primitive humans rationed to exist after taken a shabby look at what they didn't understand about nature.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Eltonluigi(m): 12:24am On Mar 29, 2012
If I had a fist big enough, I would have punch God and the world would have been a better place.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by SNCOQ3(m): 12:29am On Mar 29, 2012
More Christian Scientists and Thinkers (part 4)
1801–1900 (19th century)

Joseph Priestley (1733–1804)
Nontrinitarianism clergyman who wrote the controversial work History of the Corruptions of Christianity. He is credited with discovering oxygen, although Carl Wilhelm Scheele did so a year earlier.
Isaac Milner (1750–1820)
Lucasian Professor of Mathematics known for work on an important process to fabricate Nitrous acid. He was also an evangelical Anglican who co-wrote Ecclesiastical History of the Church of Christ with his brother and played a role in the religious awakening of William Wilberforce.
Samuel Vince (1749–1821)
Cambridge astronomer and clergyman. He wrote Observations on the Theory of the Motion and Resistance of Fluids and The credibility of Christianity vindicated, in answer to Mr. Hume’s objections. He won the Copley Medal in 1780, before the period dealt with here ended.
Olinthus Gregory (1774–1841)
Olinthus Gregory.jpg He wrote Lessons Astronomical and Philosophical in 1793 and became mathematical master at the Royal Military Academy in 1802. An abridgment of his 1815 Letters on the Evidences of Christianity was done by the Religious Tract Society.
William Buckland (1784–1856)
Anglican priest/geologist who wrote Vindiciae Geologiae; or the Connexion of Geology with Religion explained. He was born in 1784, but his scientific life did not begin before the period discussed herein.
Augustin Louis Cauchy (1789–1857)
Mathematician who defended the Society of Jesus, tried to convert other mathematicians to Catholicism, and was a member of the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul.
Lars Levi Læstadius (1800–1861)
Botanist who started a revival movement within Lutheranism called Laestadianism. This movement is among the strictest forms of Lutheranism. As a botanist he has the author citation Laest and discovered four species.
Edward Hitchcock (1793–1864)
Geologist, paleontologist, and Congregationalist pastor. He worked on Natural theology and wrote on fossilized tracks.
William Whewell (1794–1866)
A professor of mineralogy and moral philosophy. He wrote An Elementary Treatise on Mechanics in 1819 and Astronomy and General Physics considered with reference to Natural Theology in 1833
Michael Faraday cool(1791–1867)
A Glasite church elder for a time, he discussed the relationship of science to religion in a lecture opposing Spiritualism.
Charles Babbage (1791–1871)
The Difference Engine and the Ninth Bridgewater Treatise.
Adam Sedgwick (1785–1873)
Anglican priest and geologist whose, A Discourse on the Studies of the University discusses the relationship of God and man. In science he won both the Copley Medal and the Wollaston Medal.
Temple Chevallier (1794–1873)
Priest and astronomer who did Of the proofs of the divine power and wisdom derived from the study of astronomy. He also founded the Durham University Observatory,
John Bachman (1790–1874)
Wrote numerous scientific articles and named several species of animals. He also was a founder of the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary and wrote works on Lutheranism.
Robert Main (1808–1878. )
Anglican priest who won the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society in 1858. Robert Main also preached at the British Association of Bristol.
Arnold Henry Guyot (1807–1884)
Swiss-American geologist who did noteworthy work on glaciers, Guyot Glacier is named for him. He also wrote Creation, or the Biblical Cosmogony in the Light of Modern Science.

Gregor Mendel (1822–1884)
Augustinian Abbot who was the "father of modern genetics" for his study of the inheritance of traits in pea plants
Philip Henry Gosse (1810–1888. )
Marine biologist who wrote Aquarium (1854), and A Manual of Marine Zoology (1855–56). He is more famous, or infamous, as a Christian Fundamentalist who coined the idea of Omphalos (theology).
Asa Gray (1810–1888. )
His Gray's Manual remains a pivotal work in botany. His Darwiniana has sections titled "Natural selection not inconsistent with Natural theology", "Evolution and theology", and "Evolutionary teleology." The preface indicates his adherence to the Nicene Creed in concerning these religious issues.
Francesco Faà di Bruno (1825—1888. )
Italian mathematician most linked to Turin. He is known for Faà di Bruno's formula and being a spiritual writer beatified in 1988.
James Dwight Dana (1813–1895)
A geologist, mineralogist, and zoologist. He received the Copley Medal, Wollaston Medal, and the Clarke Medal. He also wrote a book titled Science and the Bible and his faith has been described as "both orthodox and intense."
Louis Pasteur cool (1822–1895)
Inventor of the pasteurization method, a French chemist and microbiologist. He also solved the mysteries of rabies, anthrax, chicken cholera, and silkworm diseases, and contributed to the development of the first vaccines.
Armand David (1826–1900)
Catholic missionary to China and member of the Lazarists who considered his religious duties to be his principal concern. He was also a botanist with the author abbreviation David and as a zoologist he described several species new to the West.

more to come....
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by manmustwac(m): 12:40am On Mar 29, 2012
Man created God in his own image to make sense of his surroundings.Which explains why the Hindu Gods look like the indian people who created him, The chinese gods look like chinese who created them. Plus theres over 10'000 gods, Besides anybody who can see REALITY can see theres no god

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists / This Is Why It's Stupid To Say God Answered Your Prayer / Scriptures That You Must Meditate On While Fasting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.