Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,811 members, 7,824,375 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" (7506 Views)

Protest Rocks The Polytechnic Ibadan As Students Fight For Their Right. / National Open University Of Nigeria Law Students And Graduates. / Nigerian Students, Fight F.g And Support ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Babasessy(m): 8:44am On Mar 31, 2012
WHAT began as a harmless courtesy call on former Lagos State Governor Bola Ahmed Tinubu by some students at the Nigerian Law School of the state origin is turning into a big scandal, the Nigerian Compass on Saturday can authoritatively report.

The largesse that the former Governor gave to the students has led to near fisticuffs, petition writing and the setting up of an investigation panel by the school authority.

Twenty-one students of the school from Lagos State had penultimate Friday visited Tinubu at the Freedom House, Adeola Hopewell Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.

They had initially gone the former Governor’s house on Bourdillon Street, also on Victoria Island, but were directed to the Freedom House.

Their mission was to appeal to the former governor to talk to Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola to pay their bursaries and give each Lagos State student at the Law School an I-Pod. The group was led by a lady whose name was simply given as Ganiyatu.

After listening to the group, the former Governor was reported to have told the students to put their request in writing.
He thereafter directed his son, Seun, who is also a student of the Law School, to “settle” the visitors.

Seun had contested a seat on the Students Representatives Council (SRC) against a daughter of the late Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola, Azeeat. He lost.

Apparently to worm himself into the hearts of fellow students, Seun gave the visiting students a sizeable sum.

Other students from the state are, however, up in arms against the Ganiyatu. They accused her of short-changing other students by giving each of them what they consider a paltry sum of N23,500, from a huge gift from Tinubu that they believed was in the range of millions of Naira.

By the following Monday, other students from the state, wrote a petition to the Deputy Director-General of the school, Mr. O. A. Onadeko.

It was learnt that Onadeko minuted on the petition to the Director of Administration who minuted it to the Head of Students’ Affairs. The petitioners also alleged that Ganiyatu took her friends who were not Lagos State indigenes on the trip to Tinubu.

They identified eight of such alleged impostors.

The petitioners also insisted that since the trip was in a representative capacity and that the money given to them by Tinubu ought to have been brought to the larger meeting of the Lagos State indigenes for sharing.

Last Monday, the head of Students Affairs began preliminary investigation into the matter. Three of the alleged impostors were reported to have confessed that they hail from other states and were said to have pleaded with the petitioners to remove their names.

Seyi Tinubu was alleged to have told the aggrieved students to drop their petition, promising them of a date with his dad and an opportunity for their own largesse.

The school authority has since warned the Students’ Representative Council (SRC) not to embark its proposed visit to Tinubu, Fashola or any other money-bag in the state.

http://www.compassnewspaper.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1566:law-school-students-at-war-over-tinubus-largesse&catid=35:headlines
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by jamace(m): 9:03am On Mar 31, 2012
Learning the art of egunje collection right from the cradle. Too bad for the already corruption battered Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Nobody: 9:11am On Mar 31, 2012
Whoever posted this on the frontpage is out of his/her mind.How does giving students that paid Tinubu transport fare translates to tinubu bribing them ? Huh
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 31, 2012
Aaah! Greedy monkeys. I love it! Here monkey! I got bananas!
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Phonon: 9:14am On Mar 31, 2012
These are the same "idiots" that would soon start their legal career and they are haggling over what seems to be stolen money.
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Basics007: 9:26am On Mar 31, 2012
I'm curious about what the OP is tryin to achieve by the titling of this article. The article called it a largesse while the OP sensationally called it a bribe. Where's the bribe in this article now? Or the definition of a bribe has changed overnight?
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Goodnessy: 9:27am On Mar 31, 2012
@ Poster. How does a gift become a bribe? Stop this misinformation and stop insulting our intelligence. If you were given a monetary gift and someone wants to cheat you out, so you'll keep mute? Common this is a normal occurence.
And how do you conclude the money was stolen whe the Code of Conduct Tribunal or EFCC cant convict Mr. Tinubu
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Pa22(m): 9:34am On Mar 31, 2012
@Post, please I'm yet to know what he bribed them for O! Please look for the complete story where it is stated!.... Or take your sentiments to low-thinking fanatics!
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Seun(m): 9:36am On Mar 31, 2012
How does giving students that paid Tinubu transport fare translates to tinubu bribing them?
Topic changed, but it's obvious that the goal of the "gift" was to promote Seun Tinubu's political ambition.

1 Like

Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Arouser(m): 9:37am On Mar 31, 2012
Disgraceful bunch of misfits! I'm not suprised. Just make a logical assessment of the entire judicial system in the last ten years and you will see why these idiots called law students are scrambling for peanuts from Tinubu.

1 Like

Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Pa22(m): 9:39am On Mar 31, 2012
Seun:
Topic changed, but it's obvious that the goal of the "gift" was to promote Seun Tinubu's political ambition.
But was it Seun Tinubu that initiated the courtesy call?
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by bid4rich(m): 9:43am On Mar 31, 2012
its only a thief that knows the path of a fellow thief. Another generatn of it in the making, law cum poli-thief-cian.
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Seun(m): 9:44am On Mar 31, 2012
Pa22: But was it Seun Tinubu that initiated the courtesy call?
No, but, from the story:
After listening to the group, the former Governor was reported to have told the students to put their request in writing.
He thereafter directed his son, Seun, who is also a student of the Law School, to “settle” the visitors.

Seun had contested a seat on the Students Representatives Council (SRC) against a daughter of the late Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola, Azeeat. He lost.

Apparently to worm himself into the hearts of fellow students, Seun gave the visiting students a sizeable sum.
The "paltry sum of N23,500" per student is definitely much more than what they need for transportation.
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Funkymallam(m): 9:54am On Mar 31, 2012
Seun:

Bros, ur head dey there jor.

Seun Tinubu is watering the ground and he xpects 'harvest', what else is d meaning of bribe?

I see the thing is in the blood.
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Nobody: 10:08am On Mar 31, 2012
most of d first set of comments in dis thread prolly r from some of d shameless law students. are u guys blind to see dat tinubu's son is bribin u guys for him to hav a chance politically? bunch of low lifes. i pity una oh
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Nobody: 10:11am On Mar 31, 2012
d first set of comments on dis topic/thread prolly r from some of d shameless law students. are u guys blind to see dat tinubu's son is bribin u guys for him to hav a chance politically? bunch of low lifes. i pity una oh
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by temmytanny(m): 10:13am On Mar 31, 2012
what do you expect from COMPASS(Gbenga Daniel's)news paper? Am very sure THE NATION(Tinubu's)will never carry this. If PUNCH(neutral) carrys it,then i will believe its true
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Bethy2love: 10:23am On Mar 31, 2012
when are we going to stop seing gift as bribe in this nation.
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Nobody: 10:31am On Mar 31, 2012
Seun:
WHERE'S THAT STATED?
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Nickydrake(m): 10:45am On Mar 31, 2012
Visits to political heavyweights by law students ain't anything new, and whether or not the sum disbursed was meant as a bribe is a matter of interpretation. What i find really revolting is the fact that a dispute among law students of that cadre should be bared in a newspaper, and it had to be one about money!

It has been suggested that the story was embellished by the newspaper to slight tinubu or his son, but i wonder what basis they would have had for the subtle defamation if the students hadn't raked up such a racket over the seemingly gratuitous donation.

Two years ago a sitting governor visited our faculty where he was purportedly running a masters program. Law students who were indigenes of his state and happened to be informed about the covert visit besieged him. He coughed up a few hundred thousand, cash.

I witnessed the scramble that followed and i had to turn away in revulsion at the conduct of people who were supposed to be models of discipline. I was only in hundred level, but i was genuinely ashamed.

I think the legal profession needs some serious cleansing, as a matter of fact.
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by oiseworld: 11:04am On Mar 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Whoever posted this on the frontpage is out of his/her mind.How does giving students that paid Tinubu transport fare translates to tinubu bribing them ? Huh

you never underestimatethe power of the beggers bow. Didn't they know he was going to give them something before they went.
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 31, 2012
Bethy2love: when are we going to stop seing gift as bribe in this nation.

Corruption has eaten deep into the Nigerian system to the extent that people see nothing wrong as long as the amount involved doesn't run into millions or billions of naira. You are the one that needs to change your mentality as it's warped. In politics or business, when you give someone/people gifts especially monetary for them to return a favour. It is corruption and it is wrong, it can be likened to a bribe. An example is the case of Hembe and Ms Oteh of SEC.
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by obinon(m): 12:17pm On Mar 31, 2012
Nickydrake: Two years ago a sitting governor visited our faculty where he was purportedly running a masters program. Law students who were indigenes of his state and happened to be informed about the covert visit besieged him. He coughed up a few hundred thousand, cash.
Are you in unijos?
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by nigerisgreat: 12:39pm On Mar 31, 2012
I never knew Nigerians believe in LIVING GODS. BIRTHDAY?? Who gives a F@$K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by olajide8(m): 1:24pm On Mar 31, 2012
Boyloaf: most of d first set of comments in dis thread prolly r from some of d shameless law students. are u guys blind to see dat tinubu's son is bribin u guys for him to hav a chance politically? bunch of low lifes. i pity una oh
But I thought from the post of OP, the elections have been won and lost already
N.B- "he contested against the ganiyat and lost the seat to her" coupled with the fact that if he was the SRC rep., would he be able to face his father and woe him into dashing some if not all of them some small stipends for a life well lived, this should happen more just my thought thou come to think of it "what was he actually bribing/settling/giving them a largese for O?" Coz theirs practically nothing at stake at that level except I can't see.
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by olajide8(m): 1:36pm On Mar 31, 2012
Boyloaf: most of d first set of comments in dis thread prolly r from some of d shameless law students. are u guys blind to see dat tinubu's son is bribin u guys for him to hav a chance politically? bunch of low lifes. i pity una oh
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Please, ask them?
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Please, ask them.
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by ekwynwa: 2:39pm On Mar 31, 2012
grin grin grin grin
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Babasessy(m): 3:55pm On Mar 31, 2012
Basics007: I'm curious about what the OP is tryin to achieve by the titling of this article. The article called it a largesse while the OP sensationally called it a bribe. Where's the bribe in this article now? Or the definition of a bribe has changed overnight?

I never altered the original headline of this news item. Though it was posted in the politics section by my humbleself, sensationalisation of the headline must be from the moderators. And what's the fuse about honestly accepting transport fare from a billionaire by every standard by average Nigerian students strugling in difficult academic terain such as ours.Our so called journalist accept such "greek gift" from politicians aswell?
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Dude, what the hell is "Transport Fare"? That was a bribe plain and simple. . . . for services to be rendered in the future.

People go on courtesy calls to see Mayor Bloomberg all the time, I've never heard of him giving them "Transport Money" to split amongst themselves.
Re: Law Students Fight Over Tinubu's "Settlement" by Sugardiva(f): 6:14pm On Mar 31, 2012
While I'm sure the students scramble is quite shameful but let's be honest y'all. If u were one of d students involved and u knew a large amnt of money was released n it didnt get to u, wld u kip mute n do nothn abt it? And by d way d Seun guy had alreadi lost to Abiola's daughter in d SRC elections according to d story so how does his donation help him considering the fact dt the SRC election takes place only once n d winner holds office thruout d entire law sch year?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnamdi Azikiwe Cut Off Mark Pls! / Admision! Admission!! Admission!!! / Lagos Calls For Opening Of Queen’s College

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.