Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,868 members, 7,810,311 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! (8429 Views)

Any Information About FUOYE POST UTME Should Help Me. / Virginity Test For Female Students To Be Conducted By Convenant University? / Now That Post Jamb Has Been Suspended, How Will Admission Be Conducted? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by MyVicky: 2:53pm On Mar 31, 2012
I was very fortunate to write and make my UME once. Not many students could be that fortunate and I feel for students who would have to attempt UTME several times. I feel JAMB should do something about the frequency of their exam per year. It is unreasonable for JAMB to make students wait for a whole year before the next attempt after JAMB must have pocketed their money! Virtually every admission exam I know is written, at least, twice (or more) per year, e.g SSCE/GCE/NECO,SAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL and so on and I personally feel that JAMB should do something about the exam and stop demoralizing students who failed at more than one attempt. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by MyVicky: 3:01pm On Mar 31, 2012
Why should a student wait for a whole year before he/she can initiate another admission processing? I see the existing JAMB policy as mere 'wickedness'!
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by Excelboi(m): 3:32pm On Mar 31, 2012
I agree with... Atleast dose who failed in d first can attempt to sit for the second one within that same year.

1 Like

Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by MyVicky: 6:16pm On Mar 31, 2012
Not even just one more time per year, those who fail(ed) at first attempt should be given the opportunity to write again, at least, 2 or 3 times per year; my opinion really.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by kaysy(m): 7:41am On Apr 01, 2012
Ask yourself how many times does schools admit in a year.
its not gonna work cos that's another avenue to extort money from candidates again [imagine N4600 + Registration Fee]
One is enough... what u should be talking about is extending the result's validity period to more than 1 year.

Isn't that idea better enough?
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by bright007(f): 7:59am On Apr 01, 2012
Wrong opinion!it cant work cause dat would be another avenue to scam innocent jambites.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by MyVicky: 1:59pm On Apr 01, 2012
kaysy: Ask yourself how many times does schools admit in a year.
its not gonna work cos that's another avenue to extort money from candidates again [imagine N4600 + Registration Fee]
One is enough... what u should be talking about is extending the result's validity period to more than 1 year.

Nigerian schools do not have a uniform academic calendar and a student can gain admission every month of the year to different schools in Nigeria. As per extortion, which one do you think is better, to pay about 5,000 twice a year or to pay once per year for about 5years; wasting precious time at home year in year out? Conducting the exam once per year hasn't curbed the supposed extortion. Besides, the issue of extortion is a different issue.
Extending the validity might seem a better idea but imagine a situation where about 5% score above 250? Do you expect the remaining 95% to keep their scores for 5 years? I feel the issue of the frequency of the exam per year should be dealt with first before we can now talk about extension. Whatever, thanks for your contribution even though you wrongly assumed you had a better idea.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by MyVicky: 3:11pm On Apr 01, 2012
bright007: Wrong opinion!it cant work cause dat would be another avenue to scam innocent jambites.
How do you mean and what has the opinion got to do with scam? Are you saying that making it once per year has eliminated scam? I don't think so!
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by MyVicky: 10:53am On Apr 03, 2012
Excelboi: I agree with... Atleast dose who failed in d first can attempt to sit for the second one within that same year.
Not even just one more time per year, those who fail(ed) at first attempt should be given the opportunity to write again, at least, 2 or 3 times per year; my opinion really.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by sammirano: 12:18pm On Apr 03, 2012
The decision cannot be rested only on Jamb to decide, it has to involve the schools, schools should be able to admit twice in a year it's happening abroad.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by Sage22(m): 12:44pm On Apr 03, 2012
On the contrary, JAMB should be written only once and its validity upheld for all times - like WAEC and NECO! Seriously, this JAMB boys are over exploiting the poor Nigerian students!!
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by doublecross(m): 12:46pm On Apr 03, 2012

i so much agree with you my brother. you made a very good speech here. Extending the validity period is a perfect solution. Thank you.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by doublecross(m): 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2012

i so much agree with you my brother. you made a very good speech here. Extending the validity period is a perfect solution as schools can only admit once in a year. Thank you.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by eghost247(m): 12:49pm On Apr 03, 2012
twice a year should be ok
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by emsquare(m): 12:49pm On Apr 03, 2012
Excelboi: I agree with... Atleast dose who failed in d first can attempt to sit for the second one within that same year.

Waste!
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by joe4christ(m): 1:16pm On Apr 03, 2012
My Vicky: I was very fortunate to write and make my UME once. Not many students could be that fortunate and I feel for students who would have to attempt UTME several times. I feel JAMB should do something about the frequency of their exam per year. It is unreasonable for JAMB to make students wait for a whole year before the next attempt after JAMB must have pocketed their money! Virtually every admission exam I know is written, at least, twice (or more) per year, e.g SSCE/GCE/NECO,SAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL and so on and I personally feel that JAMB should do something about the exam and stop demoralizing students who failed at more than one attempt. What do you think?

Seriousely i was tempted to call you dumb, but i wont allow myself to get tempted.
How would u even in your wildest immagination recommend this?
What provisions have been made already to accomodate such policy?
The nation is complaining of not enough infrastructures in place to accomodate the ever increasing number of applicants and here you are jibbering nonsense.

Do you suffer deficiency in common sense?
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by kaiter: 1:20pm On Apr 03, 2012
On the contrary, JAMB should be written only once and its validity upheld for all times - like WAEC and NECO![img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by MyVicky: 1:45pm On Apr 03, 2012
Sage22 :
On the contrary, JAMB should be written only once and its validity upheld for all times - like WAEC and NECO! Seriously, this JAMB boys are over exploiting the poor Nigerian students!!
The extension of the validity of UTME is a good idea. But, what happens to the multitude of students who score below 250 for example? They'd have to wait for another 1 year before writing another UTME? I think the exam should be written 2/3 times per year and the validity extended to about 5 years.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by francis247(m): 1:47pm On Apr 03, 2012
Nigerian schools do not have a uniform academic calendar and a student can gain admission every month of the year to different schools in Nigeria. As per extortion, which one do you think is better, to pay about 5,000 twice a year or to pay once per year for about 5years; wasting precious time at home year in year out? Conducting the exam once per year hasn't curbed the supposed extortion. Besides, the issue of extortion is a different issue.
Extending the validity might seem a better idea but imagine a situation where about 5% score above 250? Do you expect the remaining 95% to keep their scores for 5 years? I feel the issue of the frequency of the exam per year should be dealt with first before we can now talk about extension. Whatever, thanks for your contribution even though you wrongly assumed you had a better idea.[/quote] If the result should remain valid for five yars, those who see neccessary to resit the exam again can do so the next year. WAEC for instance is valid for 10 years but those who wrote the previous year but fail to make their required subjects still do so the next year, they don't wait untill ten years later; so I suggest that the validity period of the UTME exam be extended by atleast three if not five years. To suggest that the examination be written twice or more WITHIN the same year for any reason whatsoever is (sorry to say) DUMB and UNREASONABLE.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by MyVicky: 2:01pm On Apr 03, 2012
joe4christ:

Seriousely i was tempted to call you dumb, but i wont allow myself to get tempted.
How would u even in your wildest immagination recommend this?
What provisions have been made already to accomodate such policy?
The nation is complaining of not enough infrastructures in place to accomodate the ever increasing number of applicants and here you are jibbering nonsense.

Do you suffer deficiency in common sense?
It is not too good and, also, impolite to address people like you just did. I would rather prefer not to retaliate your seeming lack of etiquette. You have a valid point about the nation's lack of infrastructures but I personally feel it is an issue that has been on the table for long and the Nigerian government has not been responsive. Must the students then be punished for the government's ineptitude? Why should a serious minded student have to wait for a whole year before writing another UTME? Mind you, writing the exam 2/3 times per year is not a guarantee that all students will pass or score high but it would be an opportunity for the serious ones to re-prepare and re-attempt in a short period of time!

1 Like

Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by MyVicky: 2:10pm On Apr 03, 2012
francis247: [b][/b]. Though the result remains valid for five yars, those who see neccessary to resit the exam can do so the next year. WAEC for instance is valid for 10 years but those who wrote the previous year but fail to make their required subjects still do so the next year, they don't wait for untill ten years later, so I suggest that the validity period of the UTME exam be extended to atleast three if not five years. To suggest that the examination be written twice or more WITHIN the same year for any reason whatsoever is (sorry to say) simply DUMB and UNREASONABLE.
In the case of WASSCE, a student has alternatives; he/she could choose to write SSCE by NECO, GCE by WAEC or GCE by NECO! A student doesn't have to wait for one year before making another attempt as there are 3 other alternatives per year. This is quite understandable. It is not so with UTME. The law of diminishing return usually sets in the longer a student stays at home. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to the extension of the validity period of UTME but extending the validity without a critical look at the frequency per year will not solve the problem because you won't expect someone who score below 200 to keep the score for 10 years!
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by kodewrita(m): 4:06pm On Apr 03, 2012
Nigerians HATE CHANGE.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this suggestion. In fact, it makes perfect sense.

JAMB and admission schedules are two very different entities. They are mutually exclusive.

The results of the last UTME were released less than a month after the exam. If they can achieve that, I see no reason why it cant be done 4 times a year.

SAT-2 exam ( On which UTME/JAMB is loosely modelled) occurs at more than 2 times a year. If you can improve your competence under one year, I see no reason why the system should keep you at home for another year.

Its left to schools to decide who to accept.

If I had my way, UTME would move to computerised testing and testing would be done at few but highly equipped regional centers many times a year. You can fail and come back again if you want and besides, you get your results on the spot. No time wasting.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by danielmichael(m): 4:40pm On Apr 03, 2012
Dis suggestn is abragated,westigated an cumulated.hw do u wnt jamb 2 conduct her exams 3 times wn u hv limitd n mushrooms university in nig.wat an opprobrium,a gargantuan stigma n unscrupulous maladies.if u wnt such 2 hapen then readi 4 a scumili scumula scambi via agnostic obestrous ventroliquine,ad-infinitum.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by WackyJ1(m): 5:13pm On Apr 03, 2012
I don't think the exam should be more than a year, even WAEC Is not more than a year forget the fact that there are other alternatives.
The fact that you missed Jamb the first year doesn't mean you'll sit at home for the next five years except you're very dull..
Those who want to write Jamb should prepare very well so that they don't fail it after all it's not Jamb's fault that people fail UTME.
As someone else rightly said. How will the schools handle it? With the lack of infrastructure and all that..
Another thing is that POST UTME conducted just once and even if you pass Jamb and fail POST UTME it's still the same thing as failing Jamb.
If one school does it's Post UTME earlier than others and those who passed the first Jamb, do post UTME and fail then join the second set to Pass Jamb and go for a school's Post UTME which happens late ? How will the school handle the crowd? Won't they decide to fail students just to reduce the number?
The person who suggested this clearly did not think it through.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by GboyegaD(m): 5:25pm On Apr 03, 2012
It would only lead to extortion since schools only admit once and cannot accommodate much. It would only worsen the current state of things.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by amosy007: 6:02pm On Apr 03, 2012
embarassed what a post... When admission in every school all over the world is per session equivalent to one year... So u wnt schools to be admitin people twice or thrice a year... May be we should beg jamb to make it 72 times a year or perhaps everyday thingy so people wnt have to fail it again
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by Bawsse(m): 6:06pm On Apr 03, 2012
The best solution to everything is just doin it l ;Dike the americans: creatin much much more universities (the americans have over a thousand), increasin the validity period of jamb reults, jamb exams shud occur more than once a year, then there shud ß an ability of students to apply for more than just two universities cheesy everybody wud then ß happier an less frustratedgrin grin grin
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by mobeenet(m): 8:14pm On Apr 03, 2012
smiley the best thing is to prepare for jamb and post jamb and make it once. But as for the validity of jamb result, i think i should supprt the motion dat jamb result validity should be extended bcuz jamb examining body herself state it clearly that one can secure job with the jamb slip result. Moreso, writing jamb 2 to 3 times in a year is just a type of dream that can never come to pass cuz schools in nigeria admit students per year not per month. I'll like to beseech the jambites that they shuldn't rely on any expo cuz we can have d capabilities and the traits of jamb success in us only if we can devote our time to study. I don't think there shuld be any argument on this again. My own genuine opinion is dat candidate that can make it up to the cutoff mark of jamb in a certain year should be able to use the former jamb result for admission if he/she was unfortunate to gain an admission that year.
Re: UTME Should Be Conducted Twice/Thrice Per Year! by MyVicky: 12:00am On Apr 04, 2012
kodewrita: Nigerians HATE CHANGE.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this suggestion. In fact, it makes perfect sense.

JAMB and admission schedules are two very different entities. They are mutually exclusive.

The results of the last UTME were released less than a month after the exam. If they can achieve that, I see no reason why it cant be done 4 times a year.

SAT-2 exam ( On which UTME/JAMB is loosely modelled) occurs at more than 2 times a year. If you can improve your competence under one year, I see no reason why the system should keep you at home for another year.

Its left to schools to decide who to accept.

If I had my way, UTME would move to computerised testing and testing would be done at few but highly equipped regional centers many times a year. You can fail and come back again if you want and besides, you get your results on the spot. No time wasting.
Nice thought; your view is virtually in resonance with mine and I don't understand why some 'forumites' just get my opinion skewed?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Check Out "Gooonu Banana" Nigeria's Famous Haunted Home {Pictures} / Obi Distribute Laptops & Printers To Anambra Schools / Study And Work In Canada Legally Via EWC( Closed)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.