Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

School Management Project - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / School Management Project (2129 Views)

Creating An Open Source School Management System / School Management Software / Need School Management Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

School Management Project by 8figure(m): 3:33pm On Apr 01, 2012
Hello fellows, I would like to hear your own procedures. Building a school website, from where the students et teachers can access and upload data(teachers(assignments,grades,..),students(answers,check results...)). The students can check their results with scratch card,enroll for entrance exam by filling online form(like jamb).(how do i go about the scratch card generation and management).

please I need guidelines on how to provide such services through the website,what are the requirements,what and which skill is sufficient to successfully implement such project.

This is my first project,so please I need your advice.

Re: School Management Project by ilekky(m): 7:32pm On Apr 01, 2012
You need to consult a consultant with wealth of experience

in this field because what you want is much.
Re: School Management Project by 8figure(m): 8:25pm On Apr 01, 2012
ilekky: You need to consult a consultant with wealth of experience

in this field because what you want is much.

Hey, consult a consultant? don't buy the idea. In this section there are people who have done similar projects, and thats more to the reason I requested for procedures on this section.

What I want is not that much, I have previously designed sites ,but not this type, I know its about database management and few scripting and some
other aspects I may not already know.
and the red colored is why am here.
Re: School Management Project by abbyode(m): 9:41pm On Apr 01, 2012
what programming language are you most comfortable with?
Re: School Management Project by kodewrita(m): 9:12am On Apr 02, 2012
I might come back to Flesh this out.

Admin:
------>expenses
------>payroll.
------>employee biodata
------>student data
---------->biodata
---------->academic
---------->financial
---------->disciplinary

Parents:
---->contact student's class teacher.
---->check student financial history.
---->get student's attendance records
-------->get attendance print out
-------->register for SMS notification of absence
---->get students academic records
-------->sign up for email notification of academic records.
---->read student's disciplinary records
---->lay complaint.

Teachers:
---->update student attendance records
---->update students academic records
---->update students disciplinary records
---->check inbox
Students:
----> check/print out timetables.
----> get school news.
----> print out transcripts
----> register for school activities
----> send/recieve messages.

You also have a few other questions to answer.

Are students going to have access to those functions above or its strictly for admin?
what platform are you going to use to deploy it? Apache or IIS?
what language? PHP or ASP.Net or .....?

Ideas above are mostly about functionality. Other things might be included like a school blog, newsletter etc. Will be back if any other ideas pop up. Be safe man.
Re: School Management Project by 8figure(m): 10:06am On Apr 02, 2012
^^^

Thanks very much, am convenient with Apache,language being PHP or ruby on rails. I intended integrating forum and newsletter,(enrollment form,checking of results with scratch cards) How do i go about the in-parenthesis.

Nota bene:
students will only have access student sections(admission,result,your "students section",and any other upgrade), forum.

Thanks for your concern.

Am listening...
Re: School Management Project by Fayimora(m): 6:05pm On Apr 02, 2012
You are better off with Rails. You need to sit down and re-think your models, relationships and associations. Kodewrita has given you a fine start. Spend a lot of time making small UML diagrams showing all these. They help a lot(at least they help me). You would soon notice that programming is the least of your problems(talking from experience).

Now to the booooring part, if you go with rails, please don't use Apache! Am not saying it isin't good, I have found it to be too heavy. However, rails is better off with something lighter and faster. A killer combo would be nginx and unicorn. An alternative to unicorn would be passenger. All these are problems you should be thinking about later. Right now, just fix your models, relationships and associations. It is crucial to your application. You dont want to be sending 10 queries to your db when you could have just sent 2.

Just to give you an insight of how I do it.
-> Identify your models
-> Go through your models and identify attributes
-> Identify the relationships between your models
-> Identify your associations
-> Depending on your choice of implementation, normalize your design
-> Write tests followed by code to make tests pass
-> e.t.c .. you know the drill!

Goodluck!
Re: School Management Project by Kobojunkie: 10:01pm On Apr 02, 2012
8figure: Hello fellows, I would like to hear your own procedures. Building a school website, from where the students et teachers can access and upload data(teachers(assignments,grades,..),students(answers,check results...)). The students can check their results with scratch card,enroll for entrance exam by filling online form(like jamb).(how do i go about the scratch card generation and management).

please I need guidelines on how to provide such services through the website,what are the requirements,what and which skill is sufficient to successfully implement such project.

This is my first project,so please I need your advice.

If you have no clue what to do, better start off putting together a specification, and then a design document. That way, you know what you want before you even attempt providing any services, and you have ideas of what exactly it is you are building.
Re: School Management Project by 8figure(m): 11:27am On Apr 03, 2012
You Guys Are Just Awesome! Am grateful, I think I will Start with UML modeling and some planning, but I don't have much time on my hand.

I will try nginx as Fayimora suggested, but am not conversant with it,but shall give it a shot.

@Kobojunkie I've tried documenting on the project,and I think I need more documentation based off on you guys advice and suggestion.

Thanks All ,And Am Still On It
Am Not Tired Of Your Suggestion And Advice.
Re: School Management Project by Fayimora(m): 11:31am On Apr 03, 2012
Good luck! Would love to know how far you have gone in the next 4 weeks! Remember, good design is all about a sensible system decomposition..
Are you using rails?
Re: School Management Project by kodewrita(m): 4:11pm On Apr 03, 2012
JoelOnSoftware has some good tips on writing functional specs ----> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000036.html . Enjoy
Re: School Management Project by 8figure(m): 5:17pm On Apr 03, 2012
^^
Thanks Man Ill go through it. soon as I get home.
Re: School Management Project by Kobojunkie: 12:11am On Apr 04, 2012
8figure: You Guys Are Just Awesome! Am grateful, I think I will Start with UML modeling and some planning, but I don't have much time on my hand.

I will try nginx as Fayimora suggested, but am not conversant with it,but shall give it a shot.

@Kobojunkie I've tried documenting on the project,and I think I need more documentation based off on you guys advice and suggestion.

Thanks All ,And Am Still On It
Am Not Tired Of Your Suggestion And Advice.

You do not think of programming or even what language you will write your solution in, until you have a well written specification detailing exactly what you need, what is feasible, and the scope. Then you work on a good analysis and design document.

Many more projects fail because BAs/developers rush to code before taking enough time to do thorough research on project requirements, making sure to document project needs as against wants, with great focused placed on ensuring design not only meets current need, but scales considerably in the situation that additional modification will be made, post-delivery.

From your description, it is very clear that you have not adequately documented your project. You should spend time researching the various pieces you actually need as against pieces you think may sound nice to have(those could come later on).
Re: School Management Project by 8figure(m): 12:28pm On Apr 04, 2012
Fayimora: Good luck! Would love to know how far you have gone in the next 4 weeks! Remember, good design is all about a sensible system decomposition..
Are you using rails?

@Fayimora
I'll have options of choosing between PHP/RUBY ON RAILS ,,but have to scale which does the work better.

As Kobojunkie said I shouldn't first think of programming or even what language I will write my solution in, until I have a well written specification detailing exactly what I need, what is feasible, and the scope. Then I work on a good analysis and design document.

@kobojunkie
I think am still on it,and till am done, I will switch to solve the problems with either this or that(Technology)
Re: School Management Project by Fayimora(m): 4:43pm On Apr 04, 2012
Lol.... We all try to think about specs before anything else, but it is IMPOSSIBLE! Take it or leave it. In a very logical sense, everything goes on together.
Goodluck.
Re: School Management Project by 8figure(m): 10:33am On Apr 05, 2012
yeah yeah ,but there is one area I've not seen reply, i.e generating of scratch cards and its management ,how's it done?

@Fayimora
, why do you prefer ruby over javascript and php. I need clues.
Re: School Management Project by 8figure(m): 11:09am On Apr 07, 2012
8figure: yeah yeah ,but there is one area I've not seen reply, i.e generating of scratch cards and its management ,how's it done?

I've not seem to have got any reply,regards to the red colored part. Guys I need clues please.

@Fayimora
; Ruby! Ruby!! Ruby!!!
Re: School Management Project by okeyxyz(m): 10:38pm On Apr 08, 2012
8figure: there is one area I've not seen reply, i.e generating of scratch cards and its management ,how's it done?

generate random numbers/strings & ensure that each is unique,
assign user-permissions to each & secure & store in your database
print your scratch cards/strings

1 Like

Re: School Management Project by abiola11: 8:20pm On Apr 10, 2012
For the implementation of scratch card try go this code

protected void lkLogin_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
JibokuFoundationDBEntities1 jent = new JibokuFoundationDBEntities1();
List<Pin> pins = jent.Pins.Where(p => p.PinCode == txtPin.Text).ToList();
if (pins.Count == 0)
{
lblInfo.Text = "Invalid Pin";
}
else
{

Pin pin = pins.First();

if (pin.Applicants.Count != 0 && pin.DateFirstUsed != null)
{
//lblInfo.Text = "The Pin has already been used";
lblApplicationId.Value = pin.Applicants.First().ApplicantId.ToString();
hkPrint.NavigateUrl = "~/Shared/Printout.aspx?ID=" + pin.Applicants.First().ApplicantId.ToString();
MultiView1.SetActiveView(vwFInalize);
pin.DateLastUsed = DateTime.Now;
jent.SaveChanges();
}
else
{

pin.DateFirstUsed = DateTime.Now;
pin.DateLastUsed = DateTime.Now;
jent.SaveChanges();
lblPinId.Value = pin.PinId.ToString();
MultiView1.SetActiveView(vwAppForm);
}
}

}
}

(1) (Reply)

Programming Section Poster Of The Year 2012 / Mehn Not Easy Oooo I Coded It A To Z / Help Needed On Biometric/smart Card Reader Application.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.