Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,464 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

Creating An Open Source School Management System - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Creating An Open Source School Management System (2635 Views)

School Management System-SMS (version 1.7) Upgrade / Creating An Android App / Creating An Android Book Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating An Open Source School Management System by sleepingdemon: 12:30pm On Oct 03, 2015
Hello guys, I've been a member of nairaland for almost 5 years, and I don't post or comment, however during my visits here, I noticed the rate at which people are requesting for school management systems and as such, have decided to create an open source school management aystem, which would be written in PHP (codeigniter) frame work.....I have a list of modules I'm going to add to it, I want to know if there are other modules I might need to add... the modules are

1.) Students portal...takes care of course reg, fees payment, printing of receipt, transcript requests, and downloading of results
2.) Parents portal....where parents can check their wards details and download results
3.) Teachers portal....where they can view all courses they are to teach that semester, courses they have taught, as well as those studentfa who registered for their courses
4.) Level adviser, where the level adviser approves all the courses of people in his level
5.) Hod panel, where the hod sees all the activities of his/ her department and also approves registration
6.) Deans portal....where the dean sees all activities of his colledge/ faculty and approve registration
7.) Registrars portal, where she does final course registration approval
8.) Staff portal, where starts change thier details, revieve messages, send messages e.t.c
9.) Trade center, where students and lecturers of each school can sell and buy items
10.) Resource center, where students and teachers can download books, videos, and tutorials

Note: if you any module that could be of use, please feel free to tell me, and of u think there is anyway you can help make work faster, feel free to contact me on WhatsApp +2348052016214
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by LORDDICE(m): 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2015
Bro, u gonna teach? Abi u 1 learn? If na teach u wan teach, bro I am on board. Although I am a PHP novice.
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by sleepingdemon: 3:04pm On Oct 03, 2015
I want to build it from the scratch and open source it, I'm asking if there are any other modules I should add to it....I don't have enough time to teach it, as I also have to go to work
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by babatope88(m): 8:29pm On Oct 03, 2015
Why not use modern framework? CI! Belongs to the past era of PHP
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 03, 2015
babatope88:
Why not use modern framework? CI! Belongs to the past era of PHP

I didn't know it still existed come to the Yii world, there's Open school if you're honest about it being open source and free for all, set up a repo and we can work together at our free time to build such, you can also cash out by making support from it, that's what devs do these days.
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by sleepingdemon: 10:38pm On Oct 03, 2015
Pcguru, do contact me, I'm using codeigniter because I feel the framework is good enough....been using codeigniter and I havnt been having issues with it, started the project already...besides they are all the same MVC modelling...and yes am serious about being open source
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by matthew80(m): 10:58pm On Oct 03, 2015
During one of my leisure times, I designed a program in PHP which I called 'school portal'. It contains 3 modules.
1. Students' portal - where students can check and print their results.
2. Staff's portal - where staff can upload the results of their students and
(3. Management - here, the Owner of the school has access to everything) *not yet added*

What prompted me to do this was the rate at which programmers were asking for codes to generate PIN for students to access their results online, and stuffs like that.

Hope we can work together on this as a team or...

Cheers!
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by sleepingdemon: 11:12pm On Oct 03, 2015
Matthew80, sure we can work together on it as a team, once you're interested, I have no problem with that, please do send me a message on my WhatsApp +2348052016214, or drop yours for me to contact you..
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 03, 2015
sleepingdemon:
Pcguru, do contact me, I'm using codeigniter because I feel the framework is good enough....been using codeigniter and I havnt been having issues with it, started the project already...besides they are all the same MVC modelling...and yes am serious about being open source

Yes they are allMVC but no it's not interopeable with other PHP packages and it doesn't follow PSR Conventions, in Yii2 i can take Symfony and Laravel Packages and use them but not in CI and it supports PHP 5.2 that's too backwards. you're missing out a lot honestly, look at Open School there's an existing stuff.
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by sleepingdemon: 11:56pm On Oct 03, 2015
Codeigniter supports PHP 5.5, tried codeigniter 3.0? Yes there's an existing one on open school, but with limitations, how about offering their paid version in mine as open source?
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by Nobody: 12:09am On Oct 04, 2015
sleepingdemon:
Codeigniter supports PHP 5.5, tried codeigniter 3.0? Yes there's an existing one on open school, but with limitations, how about offering their paid version in mine as open source?

Obviously that's a given, what i mean is that it was built with PHP 5.2 in mind, meaning it doesn't have support for Namespace PHP5.3, and PHP 5.3 and upwards features, I evaluated it before because I was to take up a CI Project but i rejected it because as far as am concerned it's outdated CI 4 is what should be standard.

Anyway I am derailing the thread by taking you from your main point, I wanted to say why not take an existing open source and fork it and add features on top of it, or even strip out features not necessary, Open School was built in Yii and each part is a module running independently just like your CI controllers.

anyway wish you all the best, because most of the school packages out there are bloated with features most Nigerian schools will never use.
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by matthew80(m): 12:20am On Oct 04, 2015
pcguru1:

Obviously that's a given, what i mean is that it was built with PHP 5.2 in mind, meaning it doesn't have support for Namespace PHP5.3, and PHP 5.3 and upwards features, I evaluated it before because I was to take up a CI Project but i rejected it because as far as am concerned it's outdated CI 4 is what should be standard.

Anyway I am derailing the thread by taking you from your main point, I wanted to say why not take an existing open source and fork it and add features on top of it, or even strip out features not necessary, Open School was built in Yii and each part is a module running independently just like your CI controllers.

anyway wish you all the best, because most of the school packages out there are bloated with features most Nigerian schools will never use.

That's the point. @bolded
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by sleepingdemon: 12:24am On Oct 04, 2015
Thanks a lot, I went through the open school now, and noticed, I have developed further than where their free edition basically stops in some aspect.....once again, thanks a lot
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by matthew80(m): 12:25am On Oct 04, 2015
@pcguru1 Please can I get symfony2.7 installer from you?
Re: Creating An Open Source School Management System by Nobody: 12:30am On Oct 04, 2015
matthew80:
@pcguru1

Please can I get symfony2.7 installer from you?
shocked symfony ke I no sabi symfony and i don't intend to at least maybe not now it's too complicated and am not sure if it's really fast out of the box, but you should be able to install via Composer that's the preferred way these days

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Where Do I Start From? / Android Application With Vb.net / Creating A Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.