Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,530 members, 7,770,363 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:53 AM

Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots (11477 Views)

Unoaku Anyadike Visits The Ooni Of Ife (photo) / Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo / ~~~~Blacks Of The New World~Trace Their Blood~~~~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by BlackPikiN(m): 6:09pm On Apr 01, 2012
Badagry (Lagos State) - Evander Holyfield, five-time World Boxing Champion, on Saturday visited Badagry, Lagos state seeking to reconnect with his African roots and the possibility of investing in the country’s tourism industry.

The Alabama, U.S.-born retired pugilist believes he is of African descent.

He visited the historic town on the invitation of Mr Yomi Ajose, a former Senior Special Adviser to the Badagry Local Government Council.

Holyfield, who went to pay homage to the traditional ruler of the town, Wheno Aholu Meno Toyi I, the Akran of Badagry, said that he was visiting to trace his African roots.

“I am happy to see His Royal Majesty, the Akran of Badagry and to also reconnect and re-unite with my ancestral land,” he said.

Holyfield is one of the offspring of the Blacks in the Diaspora who were taken into slavery during the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade in the 18th century.

Welcoming him, the Akran said that he was happy to host to the former world boxing champion.

“I am happy to have you in Badagry and I want to tell you that you have a lot of opportunity to invest in Badagry so as to promote tourism,” he said.

Holyfield went on Boat Cruise along Badagry water ways to see areas of possible investment.

He was in the company of Alfred Dickson, an associate of the late the musician, Micheal Jackson’s brother, Marlon, who has been trying to invest in Gberefun town where the “Point of No Return’’ is located.

The Point of No Return is the last gate from where slaves were shipped abroad during the days of slavery.

Other personalities who were at the Akran’s palace to receive were Ijinla Afolabi, the President and Founder of Center for Heritage Preservation and Olaide Osoba, the Proprietor of 02 Bar, Marina.

Holyfield was born on Oct. 19, 1962, won bronze medal at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics before going professional. In 1990, he became Heavyweight Champion of the World when he defeated James “Buster” Douglas. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/evander-holyfield-visits-badagry-to-trace-his-roots/
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by antartica(m): 6:43pm On Apr 01, 2012
Black consciouness is the only thing that can save blackman.We have to go back to the core roots and redraw the plans.

Kudos to Evander for seeking.Seek and ye shall find.

1 Like

Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 01, 2012
Was about to write something else till I saw this
and the possibility of investing in the country's tourism industry
Anyway, goodluck to him
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by NwaNimo1(m): 7:04pm On Apr 01, 2012
Its like 'Parkinsons' disease has kicked in . . . .

His money would be safer invested in - Vegas
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by antartica(m): 7:08pm On Apr 01, 2012
Nwa_Nimo: Its like 'Parkinsons' disease has kicked in . . . .

I think you are the one that really need your neurons checked because you are yet to begin to grasp the meaning of what it is to be african
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by eghost247(m): 7:19pm On Apr 01, 2012
this is good
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by buzugee(m): 7:24pm On Apr 01, 2012

america is crumbling. they will attack iran in the next month or two and then china and russia will wipe them off the map. maybe evander and marlon jackson see something you cant see.

depart from the virgin daughter of babylon my people for i am about to make it desolate forever.

2 Likes

Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by newacca: 7:37pm On Apr 01, 2012
cool ONE DAY,AFRICANS WILL LIVE TOGETHER AS ONE. I'M PROUD TO BE A BLACK MAN

1 Like

Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by Thatdave(m): 7:38pm On Apr 01, 2012
buzugee: america is crumbling. they will attack iran in the next month or two and then china and russia will wipe them off the map. maybe evander and marlon jackson see something you cant see.

depart from the virgin daughter of babylon my people for i am about to make it desolate forever.
eghost247: this is good
eXACTLY
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by Aladinn(m): 7:38pm On Apr 01, 2012
buzugee: america is crumbling. they will attack iran in the next month or two and then china and russia will wipe them off the map. maybe evander and marlon jackson see something you cant see.

Hahahahahaha! You shouldn't be taken serious.
Nice initiative by Evander and co.
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by Aladinn(m): 7:40pm On Apr 01, 2012

Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by mayorxxxy(m): 7:44pm On Apr 01, 2012
Good for Evander. smiley
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by ArQueBusieR(m): 7:48pm On Apr 01, 2012

Russia and the US must never go head-to-head. Think -- nuclear arsenals.

1 Like

Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by uadubasim(m): 7:48pm On Apr 01, 2012
Holyfield did a good thing & kudos to him. @Nwa_Nimo nothing will happen to America.
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by domino74: 7:56pm On Apr 01, 2012
he his my brother we have the same great grand father well come home
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by dnative(m): 7:56pm On Apr 01, 2012
"breakin niggaz down like Evander Holyfield"

-Tha Shiznit - Snoop Dog
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by brainchild78(m): 8:05pm On Apr 01, 2012
i am very happy when african americans try to identify with their roots rather than denying it.

1 Like

Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by igbo2011(m): 8:11pm On Apr 01, 2012
Tourism has potential in Nigeria. Michael Jackson's brother bought land in Badagry and they might build a theme park there.

But if America, Russia, and China fight then that would be bad for the world.
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by timbros(m): 8:23pm On Apr 01, 2012
BlackPikiN: Badagry (Lagos State) - Evander Holyfield, five-time World Boxing Champion, on Saturday visited Badagry, Lagos state seeking to reconnect with his African roots and the possibility of investing in the country’s tourism industry.

The Alabama, U.S.-born retired pugilist believes he is of African descent.

He visited the historic town on the invitation of Mr Yomi Ajose, a former Senior Special Adviser to the Badagry Local Government Council.

Holyfield, who went to pay homage to the traditional ruler of the town, Wheno Aholu Meno Toyi I, the Akran of Badagry, said that he was visiting to trace his African roots.

“I am happy to see His Royal Majesty, the Akran of Badagry and to also reconnect and re-unite with my ancestral land,” he said.

Holyfield is one of the offspring of the Blacks in the Diaspora who were taken into slavery during the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade in the 18th century.

Welcoming him, the Akran said that he was happy to host to the former world boxing champion.

“I am happy to have you in Badagry and I want to tell you that you have a lot of opportunity to invest in Badagry so as to promote tourism,” he said.

Holyfield went on Boat Cruise along Badagry water ways to see areas of possible investment.

He was in the company of Alfred Dickson, an associate of the late the musician, Micheal Jackson’s brother, Marlon, who has been trying to invest in Gberefun town where the “Point of No Return’’ is located.

The Point of No Return is the last gate from where slaves were shipped abroad during the days of slavery.

Other personalities who were at the Akran’s palace to receive were Ijinla Afolabi, the President and Founder of Center for Heritage Preservation and Olaide Osoba, the Proprietor of 02 Bar, Marina.

Holyfield was born on Oct. 19, 1962, won bronze medal at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics before going professional. In 1990, he became Heavyweight Champion of the World when he defeated James “Buster” Douglas. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/evander-holyfield-visits-badagry-to-trace-his-roots/

APRIL FOOL!!!
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by gegee(m): 8:24pm On Apr 01, 2012
the great grandfather of the traditional ruler of badagry probably sold hollyfields father into slavery
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by kokorunna(m): 8:26pm On Apr 01, 2012
Now the guy is [b]broke [/b]he is now tracing his root to naija, joker
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by NwaNimo1(m): 8:34pm On Apr 01, 2012
His money would be better invested on a 'Roulette Table' in Vegas.

At least he will get some satisfaction watching his money dissapear.

Abeg - Evander, Steer Clear' on Naija with those your dollars.

(Can someone send him some Nollywood Films - let him start from there)

1 Like

Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by dipo1: 8:35pm On Apr 01, 2012

i think this is far-fetched
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by pistol: 8:41pm On Apr 01, 2012
This is the guy whose ear was bitten off by mike tyson abi...Goodluck to him sha in finding his lineage tree
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by homerac7: 8:42pm On Apr 01, 2012
gegee: the great grandfather of the traditional ruler of badagry probably sold hollyfields father into slavery

LMAO

chairman, America may have her troubles but its not for Russia or/ China to foolishly think they can walk on her. they know better than going that route. in worst case senario, they will offer up Iran. isnt is same position during start of Saddam wahala?
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by Reference(m): 8:47pm On Apr 01, 2012

Chei, you don finish Nigeria.
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by Reference(m): 8:50pm On Apr 01, 2012
gegee: the great grandfather of the traditional ruler of badagry probably sold hollyfields father into slavery

Now the tables are turned, the seller has become the buyer. Let them do share swap or buy back or whatever you money gurus call it.
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by pistol: 8:51pm On Apr 01, 2012

u are right on point,b4 this year runs out,isreal gonna bomb irans nuclear facilities as a pre-emptive strike.Their agelong ally america is gonna get sucked in into d conflict.Russia,china and the arab world will oppose them and WW3 is in full view
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by agiboma(f): 9:11pm On Apr 01, 2012
Well most blacks in the dispora want to know where they came from so im not so surprised at this revelation by Holifield.
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by Spirit96(m): 9:21pm On Apr 01, 2012
Holyfield, I cherish ur effort 2 trace ur roots n 2 probably invest in Badagry. But BEWARE of kidnappers laying ambush, seeking 4 d blessed once 2 devour.
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 01, 2012
@buzu-whatever: trust me, if America, Russia and China go to war with each other, the whole earth will be "desolate".
Re: Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots by friedrice1: 10:38pm On Apr 01, 2012
2 years ago, forest whitaker and Danny Glover traced their roots to Nkwerre Imo state. how has the community benefited from that?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? / Colourful Photos From 2018 Ondo State Art Festival / Manjack People From Senegal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.