Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

How To Make Couscous? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Make Couscous? (8269 Views)

Couscous Salad / What Is Couscous. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Couscous? by camille(f): 4:42pm On Nov 02, 2007
hi guys.i fell in love with couscous in the northern part of the country unfortunately i have no idea about how to make it.please could someone in the house help me with a couscous recipe(s).thanks
Re: How To Make Couscous? by Leilah(f): 4:06am On Nov 03, 2007
I make that quite often. You make your stew sauce with lots of meat and veg and one bulb of garlic. Seperately you take one full cup of cous cous and pour it in a deep bowl put some salt and litle oil (not palm oil) then boil you kettle with boiling water and fill the same cup with boiling water plus another half a cup - so its one cup cous cous to one and a half cups of water. Pour the one and a half cups hot water on top of the cous cous and cover it for about two minutes. Then remove the cover off it and put the bowl of cous cous in the microwave for two minutes. take it out and seperate the grains with a fork and a little butter(optional) and pour you stew over it. I have recipes for arabic stews for cous cous if you like.
Re: How To Make Couscous? by Busta(f): 7:31pm On Nov 05, 2007
hmmm-----sounds yummy.
gotta try that tonight.

Thanks Leilah.
Re: How To Make Couscous? by camille(f): 5:32pm On Nov 06, 2007
thanks leilah.sounds great only hope i can make it as good as u described.however i didn't get the oil part[how much oil do i put?do i turn everything together etc.].i would love those arabic stew recipes as well please.
Re: How To Make Couscous? by Leilah(f): 1:16am On Nov 07, 2007
Your welcome.  I mean just a dash of oil in the cous cous.

Cous cous al maghribi:

You will need:
oil (either groundnut or olive oil for this dish)
Little salt
knorr chicken cubes (about five or six)
some chicken leg pieces
one whole bulb of garlic ie about nine or ten cloves
one onion
black pepper
one or two if you wish of hot peppers
three carrots
two potatoes
one small can tomatoe paste or about three tablespoons of it.
one can of chick peas (aka garbanzo beans)
One Zucchini aka a courgette(optional)

Wash and season the chicken with maggi/knorr chicken
meanwhile peel the carrots and potatoes and slice the potatoes in four quarters
chopp carrots (in whatever style you like I like to slice it across half way, then down and down again (put aside)
heat little oil in a pot
chopp and add onion to the hot oil
chop garlic and add
brown them for about a minute then add the chicken and brown that a little too for a few minutes
add some salt
some black pepper and hot peper (or hot chilli powder 1 tablespoon)
then add in the tomatoe paste mix it around so that the chicken has paste on it.
now you add water (fill the pot up with half water so that there will be enough for vegetables to cook in.
Now put the vegetables in.
meanwhile leave it to boil for half an hour ( make sure to stir it occasionally though)
it should thicken and look more stew like over time
now, after that half hour add one can chick peas
add the courgette (optional)
leave it to cook for another twenty mins.
*note This stew sauce is not supposed to be very thick and sharp like regular groundnut stew.
You can decide on your own consistency by adding or removing water, but the arabic way is that the sauce is sort of light and little bit runny becuase cous cous is dry and it kind of absorbs the sauce itself while you are eating it.

Make your cous cous and pour your stew over it.
You can also make this dish with lamb
or you can just use some curry powder insted of tomatoe paste.
Re: How To Make Couscous? by Leilah(f): 1:25am On Nov 07, 2007
Hi Camille, sorry you need to mix it with the fork twice as follows: yes you do mix little oil and salt into it when its dry (b4 u add water).
1. After you let it set for two mins covered with something (just before you microwave it for two mins)
2.Then after you microwave it for two mins it should be soft then so you can seperate the grains once more then.
Re: How To Make Couscous? by hannydarl(f): 6:52pm On Nov 16, 2007
Biko people tell me what couscous is so I can try it too I gett the other ingredients but I have no clue of what couscous is undecided
Re: How To Make Couscous? by Leilah(f): 11:44pm On Nov 18, 2007
its a form of semolina
Re: How To Make Couscous? by hannydarl(f): 9:55pm On Nov 19, 2007
@leilah
thanks but whats it made from, corn?
Re: How To Make Couscous? by Leilah(f): 12:09am On Nov 23, 2007
It consists of spherical granules made by rolling and shaping moistened semolina wheat and then coating them with finely ground wheat flour. The finished grains are about 1 mm in diameter before cooking.
Re: How To Make Couscous? by hannydarl(f): 5:03pm On Nov 26, 2007
thanks leilah
Re: How To Make Couscous? by Leilah(f): 2:32am On Nov 27, 2007
you're very welcome

(1) (Reply)

How Much Is Cooking Gas Sold Now? / How To Prepare Dan'wake ( Beans Flour Dumplings) / Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.