Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA (14007 Views)

Lecturer Collects Undergraduate's Slippers In UNILORIN (image) / Guinness Nigeria Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme 2015 / What Was Your First GPA &now Your Current CGPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by greggng: 11:20pm On Apr 09, 2012
infact she has done badly. honestly speaking she should start afresh and get it right . or she should go for a professional IT courses in INDIA
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by funshint(m): 11:35pm On Apr 09, 2012
ATMC: d truth is dt what she's graduating with is her making, it hurts especially when she sees her mates coming out with better g.p, nd she knows very well dt she could have done well...i suggest she carry on. She should convocate with her mates, snap pictures, let her mom come if she wishes then afterwards she can tell her dt her name didn't come out for service dt she failed some final year courses...u know, dt she least expected she'll fail those courses period...face d shame now but vow to do better in future, may be go for a second degree in another course.. Don't worry ok, she is not a failure, d mere fact dt she was ashamed proves so
hmmn! Talking 4rm experience I guess wink
ATMC: d truth is dt what she's graduating with is her making, it hurts especially when she sees her mates coming out with better g.p, nd she knows very well dt she could have done well...i suggest she carry on. She should convocate with her mates, snap pictures, let her mom come if she wishes then afterwards she can tell her dt her name didn't come out for service dt she failed some final year courses...u know, dt she least expected she'll fail those courses period...face d shame now but vow to do better in future, may be go for a second degree in another course.. Don't worry ok, she is not a failure, d mere fact dt she was ashamed proves so
hmmn! Talking 4rm experience I guess
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by tchaik(m): 11:38pm On Apr 09, 2012
@OP, she has Only 2 solutions to her problem
1. Face it by telling her FAF
2. Find the closest PHCN transformer and,,,,,,,
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by realsammie(m): 11:38pm On Apr 09, 2012
greggng: infact she has done badly. honestly speaking she should start afresh and get it right . or she should go for a professional IT courses in INDIA
..i will suggest marriage
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by msb247(m): 11:46pm On Apr 09, 2012
she should use what she has to get what she wants. period
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by msb247(m): 11:47pm On Apr 09, 2012
tchaik: @OP, she has Only 2 solutions to her problem

HUG THA DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!! grin cheesy
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by msb247(m): 11:49pm On Apr 09, 2012
greggng: infact she has done badly. honestly speaking she should start afresh and get it right . or she should go for a professional IT courses in INDIA

why india of all places? u go sponsor am? abi u think say if she get money to go india she 4 no go since!? ehn? she 4 no even dey this mess right now undecided

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by msb247(m): 11:51pm On Apr 09, 2012
ashhascash: Jux want to say HI

mtsewwwww! and you think this is the right place to do that? angry
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Nobody: 1:52am On Apr 10, 2012
since wetin don hapun don hapun, I suggest she tells her mum the simple truth!! There is no other best way to handle this as telling lies will definitely not make her a better person! She should take the easiest route and tell her mama.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Nobody: 1:53am On Apr 10, 2012
tchaik: @OP, she has Only 2 solutions to her problem

This is a terrible suggestion to make! angry
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by brade: 2:13am On Apr 10, 2012
she should just use her first year gpa to transfer into any of this private schools. Covenant and Igbinedion will be very hard to get into. But she should just go and try lead city in ibadan or redeemers i Can assure you it better for her to loose those 3 years and gain a better grade than to graduate with 3rd class or pass. Some first class are still looking for work.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by AmakaG29(f): 5:19am On Apr 10, 2012
School is challenging, thankless, and takes true dedication. She needs to first speak to her academic advisor, then her class dean, then a counselor who can handle the emotional stress this must be causing her. Talking to her family must happen as soon as possible, but speaking to advisors first may help her navigate the situation. Before she talks to her parents, she should have a solid plan of how to improve her grades and graduate.

Most schools have counseling, tutoring services, and other study help materials. To be honest, it sounds like she picked the wrong major. Did she pick something she was interested in or was she pressured into something she doesn't like? Damage control may involve retaking failed classes, taking easier courses like languages, asking for extensions on assignments, and speaking to professor directly. A private tutor may be necessary.

I know every school is different, so my comments can be taken as seriously as they are relevant to your friend.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by linearity: 5:46am On Apr 10, 2012
With 1.48 CGPA, I am even more surprise that the School have not kick her out since.

The chicken have come home to roost.

As for graduation, she can either tell her mom that; she had to take an extra course or she can go meet tailor sharp sharp make them make the exact graduation gown to be worn that day....afteral, there are no roll calls in many graduations. When her mom comes, they should take pic, celebrate, etc....the next year..she can return to school to finish her course...and tell her mom that, she is doing post graduate dimploma.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by blank(f): 7:22am On Apr 10, 2012
She should try and enter 1.5 which is third class. With 1.48, that is a PASS, as in she will get a certificate of attendance. She should start learning how to make hair, tailoring or how to buy and sell. That is the reality of the Nigerian job market.

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Nobody: 7:40am On Apr 10, 2012
msb247:

why india of all places? u go sponsor am? abi u think say if she get money to go india she 4 no go since!? ehn? she 4 no even dey this mess right now undecided
U 4 no reply that clown. The way some people drop suggestions here, you would think the rest of us are id!ots.
My only advice for her is to start a business no matter how small.

2 Likes

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by mrkels(m): 8:08am On Apr 10, 2012
[b]why una dey laff the girl na shuo ,una no get sense? Many of you people laughing came out with a 2.2 o, its okay for you but for another person its failure Abegi make una leave that thing, she can still make a 2.2 if she's willing, she's in her final year right? Truth is depending on the school she could increase that cgpa drastically,in my time my final year percentage was 40% and I got a 4.92 and that amazingly allowed me to get sometin good out of the university,if not for that final year , I no sure say I for even dey nairaland now self, so my dear, u got 1 last chance to make it right, at least so it would enter a 2.2, even if you come out with a third class don't worry, delta state goverenment was ruled for 8yrs by a thirdclass person, u r a lady, yu won't have any problems, if u were a guy then there's gonna be some although it does not follow! Just do your thing,leave school and come into the real world where amazing things happen everyday, a real world where people without certificates who can't spell their lastname would beat a first class guy to the job [/b]

2 Likes

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Pain(m): 8:09am On Apr 10, 2012
She must have devoted her time to other things she may have considered priority. She should pick one of those favorite pastimes and develop on them. Perhaps her talent ins Pinging, Pimping, Pumping, Pulling etc. She should just pick one and "Ride" on it. You can always make it with your passion. I know a couple of talented ladies who own posh apartments in VGC & 1004 Estates. They were focused working thru the night while their mates slept. Aided by social media and other fast evolving technologies, they have grown their Pleasure Peddling business into a global franchise!

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by ogolope: 8:10am On Apr 10, 2012
Works/Jobs she can do wif the CGPA are Politics, Religious Cleric or become a full time housewife...tell her not to lose hope but she gotta tell her mum what's up.

Love You Nairalanders *kisses*
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by hakunamatata1: 8:11am On Apr 10, 2012
Sho? She don take her life play kite com dey get remorse when e clear 4 her eyes? We know their type- 'Biz Admin Aristo Babes'. Where she school- Osu?
Abeg no b now she suppose dey cry. She don miss d last bus. Lying to her folks isn't an option either. She shld face the remainder of her life boldly or just continue to play catch-up.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by mrkels(m): 8:18am On Apr 10, 2012
Amaka G29:

School is challenging, thankless, and takes true dedication. She needs to first speak to her academic advisor, then her class dean, then a counselor who can handle the emotional stress this must be causing her. Talking to her family must happen as soon as possible, but speaking to advisors first may help her navigate the situation. Before she talks to her parents, she should have a solid plan of how to improve her grades and graduate.

Most schools have counseling, tutoring services, and other study help materials. To be honest, it sounds like she picked the wrong major. Did she pick something she was interested in or was she pressured into something she doesn't like? Damage control may involve retaking failed classes, taking easier courses like languages, asking for extensions on assignments, and speaking to professor directly. A private tutor may be necessary.

I know every school is different, so my comments can be taken as seriously as they are relevant to your friend.

Madame the school I attended they say is the best right now in the country,but class dean no dey o,there's a dean bt he hardly attends to issues like this, the academic/course adviser you r talkn about have little or no interest in students with low cgpa, they consider them as unserious so they never listen to them or spare some time for them except the elite ones, then the councelling department I don't know if you r talkn about G&C , I'm not sure it existed in my school, even if it did I'm sure 98% of students did not know the location of the department, this is naija, let's wake up, ur advice is not bad o, bt right now the only person that can help the lady is herself.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by mrkels(m): 8:22am On Apr 10, 2012
Pain: She must have devoted her time to other things she may have considered priority. She should pick one of those favorite pastimes and develop on them. Perhaps her talent ins Pinging, Pimping, Pumping, Pulling etc. She should just pick one and "Ride" on it. You can always make it with your passion. I know a couple of talented ladies who own posh apartments in VGC & 1004 Estates. They were focused working thru the night while their mates slept. Aided by social media and other fast evolving technologies, they have grown their Pleasure Peddling business into a global franchise!
]
Mugu lol u wicked sha
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by prodam(m): 8:31am On Apr 10, 2012
mrkels:

Madame the school I attended they say is the best right now in the country,but class dean no dey o,there's a dean bt he hardly attends to issues like this, the academic/course adviser you r talkn about have little or no interest in students with low cgpa, they consider them as unserious so they never listen to them or spare some time for them except the elite ones, then the councelling department I don't know if you r talkn about G&C , I'm not sure it existed in my school, even if it did I'm sure 98% of students did not know the location of the department, this is naija, let's wake up, ur advice is not bad o, bt right now the only person that can help the lady is herself.

you are right..the longest lap of the race would be ran by herself..
g&c is located rightly beside the students affairs office...an new unit though since the time of appointment of the new DSA who is from G&C dept.
hope my assumptions are right..

BBF
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by brainchild78(m): 9:29am On Apr 10, 2012
first & foremost you need to encourage your friend to let her parents know the truth. Concealing something that will eventually be unvieled does not solve the problem but rather it delays the damage to come.

2ndly, you have make your friend become aware that some of the most successful persons in the world are far from being academic or have not even finished university. A prime example of our time is Bill Gates.

3rdly, your friend needs to personally build up on her self confidence and do away with what other people think about her.

Lastly, your friend should consider being self sufficient through self employment. There are some suggestions on this in the weblink in my signature below.

cheers!

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Theben(m): 9:40am On Apr 10, 2012
mrkels: [b]why una dey laff the girl na shuo ,una no get sense? Many of you people laughing came out with a 2.2 o, its okay for you but for another person its failure Abegi make una leave that thing, she can still make a 2.2 if she's willing, she's in her final year right? Truth is depending on the school she could increase that cgpa drastically,in my time my final year percentage was 40% and I got a 4.92 and that amazingly allowed me to get sometin good out of the university,if not for that final year , I no sure say I for even dey nairaland now self, so my dear, u got 1 last chance to make it right, at least so it would enter a 2.2, even if you come out with a third class don't worry, delta state goverenment was ruled for 8yrs by a thirdclass person, u r a lady, yu won't have any problems, if u were a guy then there's gonna be some although it does not follow! Just do your thing,leave school and come into the real world where amazing things happen everyday, a real world where people without certificates who can't spell their lastname would beat a first class guy to the job [/b]
Bros i believe you graduated from UNIBEN
Back to topic, OP, tell your friend t☺ write the next JAMB, no time is too for education. 1.48 CGPA is a very poor one i must tell you. Despite the fact that i played a lot in school, i even missed some lectures cos of my interest in chess game, i still narrowly missed a first. And i must tell you, the excuse of having sadists as lecturers ain't reasonable. She should use this as a lesson, graduating with a pass now is far worse than graduating with a 2.1 or 2.2 say in four or five years time.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Shola2009(m): 9:46am On Apr 10, 2012
angry Everyone keeps yapping about Bill Gates . .. i don't think he had a 1.48 cgpa before dropping out.
@ poster, it's already done. No use crying over spilled milk. Starting over seems like the best way out.

Rib crackers

1.48 out of 4.0?

The girl no dey even try at all. chaii!!! embarassed

They should not let this girl operate machinery or any sort of computer.
grin

she should just move on with her life; coz ther's not much she can do for now IF she wants to do the right thing.

@op, tell her to move on and that she has greater successes awaiting her in the future. besides all these degrees are vanity, they no longer guarantee daily bread.

she should hear the word of the Lord: PICK UP YOUR BED AND (MOVE ON) WALK. she also will soon find out that most of the things we kill our self for don't really matter much.
With a 1.48 cgpa, I doubt she'd have money to buy any bed to pick up. grin

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by DMainMan: 9:47am On Apr 10, 2012
Tatian: A Friend Of Mine Is Depressed About Her Result

My friend has been brooding and feeling disappointed about her result. She's on 1.48 after four years in skool although she's in Final now cos she's doing a part course in Bis -admin . And she's kind of having carry over in some courses which might incure an extra year. Every one thinks she's graduating soon , especially her mum whose already making preparation for grad day. She can't even tell her mum . Am afraid will do something rash cos she's not being her self lately. Pls we need your advise on what to do .

Very poor GP. Dat is "Pass grade". She must av been enjoying boys' joysticks since 100L. Now in 400L, dat is when she knows she wil change abi. Guys way de jerk everytime for skul, u think say de no want flex. But it is just dat one has to do right thing at d right time. Pity ko pity ni. Go and face d music jor. It will serve as warning for oda undergraduates.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Nobody: 12:38pm On Apr 10, 2012
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by cecetanna: 4:48pm On Apr 10, 2012
All hope is not lost for anyone who is truly determined. She might as well start up something on her own. The truth is that University education is not for everyone. There must be something your friend is very good at. It's not until you get a job in a company before you know you're successful. She can learn/develop skills in catering, event management, fashion designing. A lot of the people whom we celebrate in these areas never saw the four walls of a university. All you need to do is to be disciplined this time and give it your time. She may decide to go for another degree later but not immediately because she needs some time to prove to herself that she's not a failure else she'll go into school again still with a battered ego and failure mentality.

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by mykhel995: 5:46pm On Apr 10, 2012
duality:

haha grin my GPA? oh! not a first class though.. but a good enough reword for a hard working student

incoherent English? anyway, i'm sure you got the point.
REWORD? rewOrd! I see.

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by mykhel995: 5:49pm On Apr 10, 2012
My own cgpa is 0. So... undecided cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When Will The 2012 JAMB Results Be Released? / ‘FG Will Demolish Illegal Higher Institutions’ / T hisGlobe.com Nigeria Universities in pictures check for all

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.