Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 (14236 Views)

Pictures Of Lagos Carnival And Water Regatta 2015 / Man Turns Attraction At Lagos Carnival (photo) / Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Nobody: 2:18pm On Apr 09, 2012
Reporting from VI; no sign of carnival
Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 2:39pm On Apr 09, 2012
I've got a ton of pics. Resting @ tbs @ the moment. Will upload soon.
Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by jmaine: 2:49pm On Apr 09, 2012
LeoMax: Reporting from VI; no sign of carnival

grin . . .na TBS zone you fit see small action . . .
Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by Redman44(m): 2:53pm On Apr 09, 2012
@Naptu2, thanks for the good work you're doing. I am really proud of the Lagos State Government for making the Lagos Carnival an annual event. With this and other carnivals across the country, Nigerian tourism is being boosted gradually. Tourism can be a major revenue earner for the Nigerian Government and People if the right steps are taken by the Federal Government, Private Companies and Culture Enthusiasts in the country. Take a good look at Ibadan in Oyo State. Ibadan is Nigeria's unofficial city of culture but the Governors and people of Oyo State have not realized the cash cow that Ibadan is. You can hardly find a Nigerian Writer or Musician of repute that did not live, school or got trained in the city of Ibadan. Sade Adu was born in Ibadan. Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Odia Ofeimun, Dr Tony Marinho etc schooled in Ibadan either at the Government College or the University of Ibadan. Yet, Ibadan does not have a Carnival and its potential as a tourist centre has not been harnessed. On the other hand, there is no way participants at the Lagos Carnival will not dress like West Indians since the idea was brought down to Lagos from Brazil and the West Indies. What should be done is to infuse the other cultures in Lagos into the Festival i.e Hausa, Igbo, ijaw etc dressing and masquerades. I really love the idea of the Lagos Carnival.

1 Like

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by GboyegaD(m): 4:23pm On Apr 09, 2012
Redman44: @Naptu2, thanks for the good work you're doing. I am really proud of the Lagos State Government for making the Lagos Carnival an annual event. With this and other carnivals across the country, Nigerian tourism is being boosted gradually. Tourism can be a major revenue earner for the Nigerian Government and People if the right steps are taken by the Federal Government, Private Companies and Culture Enthusiasts in the country. Take a good look at Ibadan in Oyo State. Ibadan is Nigeria's unofficial city of culture but the Governors and people of Oyo State have not realized the cash cow that Ibadan is. You can hardly find a Nigerian Writer or Musician of repute that did not live, school or got trained in the city of Ibadan. Sade Adu was born in Ibadan. Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Odia Ofeimun, Dr Tony Marinho etc schooled in Ibadan either at the Government College or the University of Ibadan. Yet, Ibadan does not have a Carnival and its potential as a tourist centre has not been harnessed. On the other hand, there is no way participants at the Lagos Carnival will not dress like West Indians since the idea was brought down to Lagos from Brazil and the West Indies. What should be done is to infuse the other cultures in Lagos into the Festival i.e Hausa, Igbo, ijaw etc dressing and masquerades. I really love the idea of the Lagos Carnival.

While Nigeria has the potential to generate so much revenue from tourism however, so many things need be fixed to maximize returns. Infrastructures such as good roads is essential more so, there is a need to improve security else, no one wants to go visit where you are not sure you would return alive.
Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 4:39pm On Apr 09, 2012
So many pics that I don't know where to start. I was @ TBS, Giwa Barracks, Campos Square and everywhere in between.

Below is the Isale-Eko Woro Group.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by azpekuliar: 4:42pm On Apr 09, 2012
kombats: [size=50]Lagos d best place to be in d world[/size]

Yeah! On a public holiday. grin grin
Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 4:53pm On Apr 09, 2012
RRS.

Some of the pics are too large to upload. I'll resize them and upload.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 4:56pm On Apr 09, 2012
I think we should have a Nairaland button on that phone next year.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 4:58pm On Apr 09, 2012
Road closed.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 5:02pm On Apr 09, 2012
RRS

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 5:04pm On Apr 09, 2012
Bumble-Bee

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 5:13pm On Apr 09, 2012
Yesterday's water regatta: All along the shore line there were lasambus ambulances and rrs policemen. Owners of events centres, tourist centres (particularly in Lekki, Ikoyi, Onikan and Victoria Island) would have made a lot of money. There were masquerades (I forget what they are called. They are masqurades on stilts, but not Igunnuku) along the shoreline too.

Today: There was heavy security presence, with men of the RRS, Air Force and Neighbourhood watch on hand to ensure that there was no problem. The good humour of the people added to the fun. For example, area boys erected a road block on one of the streets on Lagos Island, but, rather than extorting money from people, the road block was erected to ensure that the floats and participants stopped so that they could take pictures together.

There were burly security men dressed in black suits at the VIP gate, but they governor entered the arena through the "popular" gate. He was on foot.
Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 5:17pm On Apr 09, 2012
There were lots of tourists having fun and snapping away. I even saw a Jackie Chan lookalike.
Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 5:19pm On Apr 09, 2012
Drummer.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 5:24pm On Apr 09, 2012
Gelede.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 5:25pm On Apr 09, 2012
Gelede

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 5:48pm On Apr 09, 2012
Iconic colours: I don't know how the other groups chose their colours, but Lafiaji has been associated with red and white or red and silver since the early eighties (maybe even before). Could it be because there are a lot of Egungun Iga there?

Of course the other iconic colour is yellow and green, associated with the Campos Square (the Brazilians), from where this started about a hundred and fifty years ago.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 6:12pm On Apr 09, 2012
The folks from Campos Square.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 6:16pm On Apr 09, 2012
Lagos State Ambulance Service (LASAMBUS)

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 6:18pm On Apr 09, 2012
The Fulani Group.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 6:21pm On Apr 09, 2012
Crowd on Five Cowry (Falomo) Bridge.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 6:35pm On Apr 09, 2012
It was fun all the way. A restaurant on Awolowo extended their eatery to the side walk. Munchies had 3 skimpily dressed girls dancing in front of their restaurant (there was quite a crowd there), Silverbird were blasting loud music down Awolowo Road. Free drinks! Of course in Central Lagos they had humongous speakers, canopies and plastic chairs by the side of the road (if you lived in Central Lagos you'll know what that means).

There were a lot of really tall girls wearing impossibly short shorts (hm!).

This is the Brazilian Quarters Club, opposite Campos Square Mini-Stadium.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 7:10pm On Apr 09, 2012

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 7:23pm On Apr 09, 2012
The radio car in the governor's motorcade. It jams radio signals preventing detonation of remote controlled bombs.

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by peckhamboi: 8:41pm On Apr 09, 2012
naptu2:

There were a lot of really tall girls wearing impossibly short shorts (hm!).

Can you pls post some pictures of them?
Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by makizee(m): 9:39pm On Apr 09, 2012
Mad Fun i tell you...Lagosians really know how to have Fun, My own Pictures are from the Top of TBS

Last Picture was not taken at the Carnival but all join!

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by makizee(m): 11:14pm On Apr 09, 2012
and these

Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by seunpinky(m): 12:24am On Apr 10, 2012
I was @ d carnival...it's a sight 2 behold... I wud post some pics....
Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by stepo707: 8:32am On Apr 10, 2012
Waoh! so much fun,at least one will not work work work himself to death! I guess the fun is over now and back to work angry
Re: Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 by naptu2: 9:43am On Apr 10, 2012
I particularly liked the Sport City Surulere Group (I guess it's made up of people that train & do aerobics weekends @ the National Stadium). It was a large group, their music was banging, choreography on point and they had really pretty girls. They were subdivided into emerald and other subgroups.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ivory Coast Got Some Good Music / History Of Ebira People: Outspoken, Talented And Hardworking People / Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.