Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,498 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? (2621 Views)

His Ex Tricked Him To Pay Her Bride-Price / Ex-wife Pays Divorce Settlement In Coins, Rice And Beans / I Urgently Need Ur Advice On My Husband And His Ex-girlfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by pebbj(f): 6:12am On Nov 05, 2007
ok, here's the scenario a man divorces his wife of four years on the grounds of her infidelity. They have one child during the marriage. my question is should he be financially responsible her though they are divorced? If so for how long? What happens if they should remarry?
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by chika98: 7:56am On Nov 05, 2007
While they are divorced; he owes her nothing! But if they should remarry then they are considered man and wife yet again
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by pebbj(f): 8:03am On Nov 05, 2007
if they remarry to other people
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by Seun(m): 8:07am On Nov 05, 2007
The answer depends entirely on the terms of their prenuptial agreement. Don't get married without one. If your partner knows she can continue to spend your money after leaving you, she might be tempted to take advantage of it. Even the bible says, "lead us not into temptation", so get a prenuptial agreement!

If they didn't sign a prenuptial agreement, the answer depends on the laws applicable where they were married. Oops. Generally, a husband is financially responsible for his child, and he might be required to pay his wife some money to take care of the child. However, during divorce, they are supposed to divide their assets equally. If the divorce was on the grounds of her infidelity, that would be so unfair.
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by ssRhino: 4:37pm On Nov 05, 2007
Have you ever heard of alimony?
If the wife was a housewife while you were together and the man is working, making good money and he has been taking care of the wife while they were married, finacially, the man is responsible to take care of the wife for as long as it takes the wife to get a Job or another man to marry him.
The man is not only obligated to the child, he is to the wife as well, although, in nigeria, most men dont even care if the woman survives or not.
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by almondjoy(f): 5:36pm On Nov 05, 2007
He does not owe her anything. It'a his kid, so he can establish plans for the upkeep of the child and trust funds for the child's education and what not in the future.  The woman get's nothing.  That should teach those stay home moms who choose not to work and help themselves a hugh lesson.  Get off your "Betty Crocker" fat behinds and get some career of your own--knowing how men can be so unreliable historically speaking. The reason for the divorce is grossly irrelevant. Divorce na divorce!

After having all those kids and the men complain of y'all not being "tight" enough as we frequently hear and see on our ever-so-educative forum--Nairaland-- the not so "tight" Bum Equipment gets thrown out in the streets.  The women have no one to blame but themselves.  Entrusting their lives/futures in some mens' hands--in 2007? shocked  Not even in 1900 is that acceptable!  Get you own shit!!!!!

Remarriage or not--the woman gets nothing--she needs to get a damn job and fend for herself--the kid is a joint responsiblity and if the man bails--too bad--she is on her own and has to solve that problem all by herself---Period!
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by mamaput(f): 6:29pm On Nov 05, 2007
He does not owe her anything. It'a his kid, so he can establish plans for the upkeep of the child and trust funds for the child's education and what not in the future.

there is more to bringing up a child than schoolfees

The woman get's nothing. That should teach those stay home moms who choose not to work

whats wrong with a womanstaying home to look after her kids.
if everyone has them to dump them in a daycare, do not bother having them. we have kids because we love them and not as the part of it like bags and shoes
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by almondjoy(f): 7:41pm On Nov 05, 2007
mamaput:

there is more to bringing up a child than schoolfees

whats wrong with a womanstaying home to look after her kids.

if everyone has them to dump them in a daycare, do not bother having them. we have kids because we love them and not as the part of it like bags and shoes

True!  More to taking care of a child than school fees. With a divorce--any woman or man must learn to be on his or her own.  Who gets stuck with the kids anyway, in event of a divorce?  The women.  So you will still have to figure it out on their own--without help!   That is the one of the saddest parts of divorce. I love daycares and see nothing wrong with them. I have a life too and do not live solely for my kids. It is all about a healthy balance. If people get divorced, and have to work--the children will eventually see the walls of a daycare facility. That is a reality.

If the shoe were on the other foot would you like to pay your ex-husband spousal support?  I think it is vindictive.  Only children should be taken care of in divorce cases.  Adults should fend for themselves without sponging off each other. If a man is out of my life--I would want him to stay out--no contact, money or whatever.  Just take care of his kids the best way he can.  Infact I would gladly give up my parental rights to get him out of my life for good. Let them go live with him and I would gladly pay the child support with visitation privileges.

There is everything wrong with anybody--male or female staying home full time.  No condition is permanent.  It could be illness death or divorce.  Any slightest "equation imbalance"---you are out on the streets. Too risky--especially in a Nigerian marriage.  I can never take such a risk. That scares me to death enough not to let it happen. Stay at home? Doing what? So that one stupid man would send me to a psych ward in the future, if he decides to? shocked No way! The kids will survive!
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by mamaput(f): 8:03pm On Nov 05, 2007
you do not sound like a woman that is or has been married nor a mother,
my kids are not something am stuck with.
getting the kids is one of the best thing that can happen to me.
I am a single mother but the father still has a right to be a part of his childrens life then they did not devorce him it was i.
But if parents are to agressive that they carry out there fights on thir kids, sorry for them.
if you dump your kids with there father, the day you look for them they will not have time for you,
do you at all think about what you are saying. do you thake kids like house animals or some kind of pest.
thats the impression am having
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by almondjoy(f): 8:24pm On Nov 05, 2007
mamaput:

you do not sound like a woman that is or has been married nor a mother,

my kids are not something am stuck with.

getting the kids is one of the best thing that can happen to me.

I am a single mother but the father still has a right to be a part of his childrens life then they did not devorce him it was i.

But if parents are to agressive that they carry out there fights on thir kids, sorry for them.
if you dump your kids with there father, the day you look for them they will not have time for you, do you at all think about what you are saying. [b]do you thake kids like house animals or some kind of pest.[/b]thats the impression am having

No.  I love my kids dearly--and there is no profile on how a married woman or mother should look and sound like.  That is the "typical Nigerian" way of thinking.  If the word "stuck with" is harsh for you--I will replace it with---"custody".

It is good that everyone has a formula in life that works for him or her.  Just my opinion.  If he was good enough to father my kids, then he is good enough to have "full custody" of them.  I will gladly pay him.  I will still be part of their lives of course.  Besides I think single parent dads do a better job than single parent moms.  The few Nigerian single parent dads I have come across just took ma breath away.  Infact--I was impressed by the way they handled their kids all alone--without help. So I am willing to take that chance.  If I ever got divorced--I think my hubby would do a better job.  Smart enough to recognize that.  Nothing wrong with recognizing your "weaknesses" tongue   

If for some reason they refuse to have anything to do with me in the future--as sad as that sounds--I can respect their feelings.  Life goes on.  I will be there if they choose to need me.  Does not make me love them less.  Just do not like to bother myself or others with unsolicited love or advances. Just keep ma door open for if they may ever need it. No problems there. Don't like to be held hostage to anyone's feelings. If you need me fine--if not--fine too--Goodluck!
They will do just fine and if not--tough luck! Can only do your best right? God does the rest.
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by mamaput(f): 8:31pm On Nov 05, 2007
btw that dress in your profil,
are you sure its not my dress?
i have a picture just like that one but the dress was on me. grin grin
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by almondjoy(f): 8:38pm On Nov 05, 2007
mamaput:

between that dress in your profil,
are you sure its not my dress?
i have a picture just like that one but the dress was on me. grin grin

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Post it and lets see! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin That dress was custom sewn by ma mama. Can't be 2 of that kind in this world.
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by mamaput(f): 8:51pm On Nov 05, 2007
to be removed soon
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by mamaput(f): 8:51pm On Nov 05, 2007
to be removed soon.
ok its not the same dress but the same generation of black and white pic
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by almondjoy(f): 9:21pm On Nov 05, 2007
mamaput:

to be removed soon.
ok its not the same dress but the same generation of black and white pic

Oh my God! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin grin.  Almost the same kind of dress--was in vogue then I guess.  Thanks for sharing. That is too cute.  What an angelic face. You should use it as your profile pic.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!  But I fat pass you? angry

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin  Boy oh boy!  I can see your diaper!!!! grin
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by mamaput(f): 9:31pm On Nov 05, 2007
No shame in my diaper its clean and white.
i do not think anyone was fat in those days.
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by mamaput(f): 9:32pm On Nov 05, 2007
you fat small i no go lie.
what were you eating
Re: Man Financially Responsible For His Ex-Wife? by adeboo(f): 10:56am On Nov 07, 2007
I feel t depends on what kinda expenses they have.
If they have a home and she gets it, then i think he is stil responsible for paying the mortgage on the home cause thats where the child stays but that would end if she remarries.

But he pays the child allowance till the child is like 18.

(1) (Reply)

Her Husband’s Brother Molested Her Twice. She Needs An Advise! / Recommend A Beautiful Name For My Baby!!! / What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.