Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,686 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / . (5893 Views)

Marvel Comic Book Thread / Favourite Comic Book Characters / Want To Turn Ur Novel Into A Comic Book/graphic Novel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by macen(m): 9:56pm On Apr 11, 2012
Re: . by kay9(m): 9:34am On Apr 13, 2012
I dunno, bro. I guess its worth a try, if you're up to the financial wherewithal it requires. A piece of advice though: don't do a ''super-hero'' comic; that line's been SERIOUSLY over-used. And besides, grin Nigerians don't believe in super-heroes.
Re: . by macen(m): 9:40pm On Apr 13, 2012
Okay,then what genre do u suggest? But whatever it is,i want some action sequence,i was thinking 'bout doing something about a street cop
Re: . by macen(m): 9:44pm On Apr 13, 2012
Okay,then what genre do u suggest? But whatever it is,i want some action sequence,i was thinking 'bout doing something about a street cop
Re: . by kay9(m): 3:54pm On Apr 14, 2012
Thats the thing bro, 'action sequences' aren't what people look out for anymore. They want something that's got depth, something with a real story to tell - and also tells the story well - not just a dude that comes around, saves the day and everybody's happy.
I'd suggest something from the ghetto; say some street-smart kid trying to get that 'yeyo', y'know, and at same time trying to get his grades @ school. Then throw in an elder sister who's alwys breaking his groove - she loves him and wants the best for him, but somehow she's always messing up his game. You know, spice things up!
-
However it goes sha, just make sure you character is one the ordinary nigerian can connect with - he doesn't have to speak pidgin all the time, but he mustn't be 'ajebo' either. Above all, he must have a REAL story.
-
Luck!
Re: . by kay9(m): 3:58pm On Apr 14, 2012
Hey i forgot, throw in some action too - your dude can be the best 'bare-knuckle' fighter in his street, or he's the baddest dude with a 'koboko', you know, cos his dead uncle really thrashed his back-side real good back in the days. grin Just dont make the action the point of the whole comic.
Re: . by Tonimario: 5:38pm On Apr 14, 2012
macen: I am a DIE HARD,comic book,manga,cartoon and anime fan. A few years back,i started nuturing the idea of making a comic book under the super hero genre(sorry to use this word)and with a "naijacentric" view,do u think its gonna do well in the market with adequate marketing strategy
if you really come up with something real good of course I would buy.I like your idea

2 Likes

Re: . by macen(m): 6:48pm On Apr 14, 2012
You mean something we can relate to like SHEGS OKORO 4rm "Supa Strikas" do u guys know that it isnt even a nigerian comic,and by the way I really like ur "bare knuckle" idea,cos i wouldn't want the protagonist to rely much on weapons(but a couple of combat gizmos wouldn't be bad). But there's just one problem. I dont have the faintest idea on how to get a PENCILER,INKER,COLOURIST,OR LETTER for the job(i could make do with a regular artist who has a vast knowledge on anatomy) if u got d slightest clue on how i can get one,PLS TELL ME
Re: . by Caporegime(m): 11:33pm On Apr 14, 2012
@Macen, nice idea, i am also thinking of something like this, so i got myself a cheap digital tablet, but its quite different from using good old pen & paper, anyway if you draw well inking, colour & lettering wont be a big problem.. lets rub minds..osazev@hotmail.com
Re: . by kay9(m): 11:36pm On Apr 15, 2012
@macen, i never thought about it much, but i suppose what u need is a digital artist. You could try google; see what comes up from ''how to draw a comic'' smiley
I could help with the story-line.
Re: . by macen(m): 12:46pm On Apr 26, 2012
@caporegime,i already sent u an email,and what kind of comic do u have in mind? @kay9, i have tried a dozen keywords on google on how to draw a comic book,it really doesnt help,am still gonna need a pro. What storyline exactly do u propose?
Re: . by kay9(m): 7:02pm On Apr 26, 2012
^^^Ahhhh... Umm, gimme a lil time, lets what i can come with.
(***neck-deep, buried in work right now embarassed )
Re: . by macen(m): 1:18pm On Apr 27, 2012
kay9: ^^^Ahhhh... Umm, gimme a lil time, lets what i can come with.
(***neck-deep, buried in work right now embarassed )
okay
Re: . by Salmoneus(m): 1:00pm On Apr 29, 2012
Do you have any concept art?
Re: . by macen(m): 3:35pm On Apr 29, 2012
Salmoneus: Do you have any concept art?
am thinking of a futuristic kind
Re: . by kay9(m): 8:47pm On May 03, 2012
@macen, just ran into this group online, called myowndp.com. I checked out their site; they got some pretty impressive stuff - not comic or manga-styled, though - mostly BB d.p oriented pics. Anyway, i thought u could cook something up with them... Worst case, they can give good pointers.
Tracked them on twitter: @myowndp. Got a phone # too: 08063332004.
Well... smiley
Re: . by RiffRaff: 7:13pm On May 12, 2012
Re: . by Febian60: 5:13am On Aug 16, 2012
Riff-Raff I've seen ur sight. Pls how can I reach u? Here's my numba 08165026942. I too wanna go into comics
Re: . by RiffRaff: 10:45pm On Aug 16, 2012
@ febian
i wil giv u a cal..
Re: . by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 17, 2012
Here's what I think. Just flex a concept on the low. That is, test the market with any concept you're crazy about. Not selling though. You might just set up a website. Perhaps you could even do it here on nl. Put out something like a chapter of the manga you're thinking about and see what the response is like. It'd be a more authentic way than trying to tell the future from the question you asked. Seriously, if I said yes, how do I know I'd like what you'd put out? If I said no, how do I know I'd dislike it? Give me a taste and forget, at least, for a while, monetary returns.

Having said that, I think Kay 9 is dead on. Super heroes aren't relevant to Nigerian psychology. Even the Nigerian kid isn't crazy about the Superman mentality. He just likes the pictures. We're more realists philosophically than anything else. So, you wanna make a manga, make one that can relate to our worldview, which is that nothing comes that easy. But don't make things impossible. We believe in hard work and, if you like, chance. See how you can blend the two to work a storyline that will captivate our hearts.

If I may give an instance, I dig Naruto big time. But I care more for the philosophy of the story than the jutsus and the combats. I like the fact that a severely handicapped kid (by the society's standards there) could beat the odds stacked against him and with a single minded devotion to getting better than himself to approximate to the best thing that ever happened to the ninja world. He's not Superman, by any means. Just a really dumb, incredibly foolish, but so passionate kid who wants to save everybody and fails enough at doing so to prove that he's still one of us. In fact these days, them Avenger tales don't interest me beyond the historical background from which characters like Thor are pulled out.

Wishing you well, dude smiley

1 Like

Re: . by Dizney(m): 12:20am On Jul 08, 2013
if you need the marvel/disney superhero style comic creator contact me on 07065485961 or smcdisney@gmail.com at your service
Re: . by Redmosquito(m): 9:20am On Jul 08, 2013
What I want is depth! Not just boom bam!! I also want depth! One aspect Nigerian comics is primitive in!
Re: . by Dizney(m): 12:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
why in bold letters? You must be a very tough person! Is it every superhero comic that just goes boom bam? Where do you work anyway?
Re: . by Redmosquito(m): 8:04pm On Jul 08, 2013
Dizney: why in bold letters? You must be a very tough person! Is it every superhero comic that just goes boom bam? Where do you work anyway?
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEEE!!!! BOLD letters have always been my thing, along witha couple of NLDERS. It was from a long time ago (yeah! NOw I'm feeling old) grin grin grin grin grin
On a more serious note, I am a lover of comics. A diehard fan! Naija comics hasnt been booming! If it has, I havent been noticing it. I just want a nice storyline, I even think I will one day turn my stories (If I ever get to write lots of them) to comics
grin grin grin grin grin grin
And ermmm.... you're new, right? Haa! Yes, you are! grin grin grin grin grin grin
( I'm feeling like a mysterious boss now)
Re: . by Dizney(m): 9:58am On Jul 22, 2013
You are such a funny fellow.
Re: . by zubike01(m): 1:14am On Oct 14, 2014
WOW! saw this post and decided to show you guys.. what am working on.IT'S THE COMIC ADAPTATION OF MY NOVELLA titled don't join.The story is set in a Nigerian University campus...It shows the Adventure of a cultist...Some Romance and yes 'bare-knuckle' fight scenes. To see more you can check out my blog:Blog: http://jollyrougeseries..com/p/dont-join-comic-preview.html

Twitter: @DTjoin

https://www.facebook.com/jollyrougeseries

To check out the Novella

NOVELLA. WEBSITE: www.jollyrogueseries.com

https://www.facebook.com/jollyrogueseries

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 26, 2014
Is this thread still trending?..cos I really like the idea and would love to see whatever manifests from it.
Lately, I too have being obsessed about comics and the urge is still on to create one.
Got a storyline with great depth but the costume aint just coming.
Yes, I know costumes are for superhero and the true fact has been said that 'superheroes' doesnt interest Nigerians, but the pictures do. That why I still insisted on letting the guy have a costume but no design ideas atall.
Plus my greatest discouragement is not even about marketing, for now shaa, but my inability to use computer graphics to draw my story. Worst is, no one around my neighbourhood even buys the idea. Am like the 'agbaya' of my whole street for still liking comics. So no hope of rallying anyone good in graphics around.
Thats like my deadend.
But I'd like, infact love to partner with anyone passionate about the same thing. Sincerely.
Re: . by zubike01(m): 6:55am On Mar 12, 2015
ziqzaq:
Is this thread still trending?..cos I really like the idea and would love to see whatever manifests from it.
Lately, I too have being obsessed about comics and the urge is still on to create one.
Got a storyline with great depth but the costume aint just coming.
Yes, I know costumes are for superhero and the true fact has been said that 'superheroes' doesnt interest Nigerians, but the pictures do. That why I still insisted on letting the guy have a costume but no design ideas atall.
Plus my greatest discouragement is not even about marketing, for now shaa, but my inability to use computer graphics to draw my story. Worst is, no one around my neighbourhood even buys the idea. Am like the 'agbaya' of my whole street for still liking comics. So no hope of rallying anyone good in graphics around.
Thats like my dead end.
But I'd like, infact love to partner with anyone passionate about the same thing. Sincerely.

You would need to pay a professional Comic artist to do that for you. Even if you rally up people in your neighbourhood it won't be print quality. They are a number of steps when it comes to comic publishing. 1st the script that is when you write the story in panels with descriptions of the scene, captions and dialogues. 2nd penciling this is when you draw the art. 3rd is inking when the art is outlined with black pen and scanned into the computer for editing. 4th is colouring using advance computer graphic tool to add colours to it. Then lettering putting in the captions and the dialogue. All this cost a mini fortune and trust me it shouldn't be your problem cause the artist are easily accessible.

You should be worried about the quality of your story i.e if its something people want to read and marketing and distribution.
Re: . by Polarbite(m): 9:44pm On Nov 03, 2015
Hi guys! I also share ds dream.I've written alot of stories bouh actions,kids,crimes,horrors etc told my dad i wanna go in2 comic im say make i do research.Now,not only i want 2 produce comic but i also wanna learn comic art(with what i heard,comic artist they chop money gan o and me no gt money nw) cos i cn draw and i wanna grow my talents.HELP PLS!
Re: . by Polarbite(m): 9:45pm On Nov 03, 2015
I even contactd u(disney) but...
Re: . by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 04, 2015
@kay9, you are completely wrong. I follow Comic Republic's superhero comics, like thousands of others. Just because you don't believe in superheroes doesn't mean we all do. Hope I didn't seem like a troll. Just wanted to point out that OBVIOUS fact.
@macen, feel free to publish it. It'll be super cool!
Re: . by Polarbite(m): 8:28pm On Nov 10, 2015
Yes,now 1 gets a comic artist,money etc den wat? bt wah about its distrubutn? In US dere's a distrubutn compny cald diamond wu help young producers bt non 4 9ja? Or is there any?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ / Is Anyone Attending Ake Arts And Books Festival? / Why I Have No Future Ambition.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.