Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Thomas Hardy "tess Of The D'urbervilles & Whole Soyinka "the Lion & The Jewel&quot - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Thomas Hardy "tess Of The D'urbervilles & Whole Soyinka "the Lion & The Jewel&quot (2046 Views)

The Thomas....(a Family) / Behold The Jewel Of My Heart / Tess Of The D'ubbervilles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thomas Hardy "tess Of The D'urbervilles & Whole Soyinka "the Lion & The Jewel&quot by Gwazah(m): 10:00am On Nov 06, 2007
"Tess of the D'urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy and "The lion & the jewel" by prof Whole Soyinka which one is the greatest?
Re: Thomas Hardy "tess Of The D'urbervilles & Whole Soyinka "the Lion & The Jewel&quot by BekinableG(m): 10:15am On Dec 06, 2007
tess of the dur'bervilles is da bum, a serious play. whaooooooooo don't try.
Re: Thomas Hardy "tess Of The D'urbervilles & Whole Soyinka "the Lion & The Jewel&quot by yimiton(f): 3:01pm On Dec 06, 2007
Tess of the D'urbervilles of course.

Thought you wanted to bring out some resemblance, similarities and criticism.
Was looking to read up some intelligent critism.
Re: Thomas Hardy "tess Of The D'urbervilles & Whole Soyinka "the Lion & The Jewel&quot by stranger26(f): 6:07pm On Feb 06, 2008
Tess of the D'Urbervilles is a really good book but I haven't read The Lion and the Jewel yet so I can't compare.

Can anyone give a quick review of the Lion and the Jewel? Thanks smiley
Re: Thomas Hardy "tess Of The D'urbervilles & Whole Soyinka "the Lion & The Jewel&quot by tpia: 4:07am On Sep 27, 2008
Re: Thomas Hardy "tess Of The D'urbervilles & Whole Soyinka "the Lion & The Jewel&quot by Gamine(f): 1:34pm On Sep 27, 2008
Ahh, the two shouldnt be compared

Tess made me CRY cry cry cry cry, loved it tho

Lion made me LAff tongue
Re: Thomas Hardy "tess Of The D'urbervilles & Whole Soyinka "the Lion & The Jewel&quot by oreshade(m): 4:23pm On Sep 27, 2008
basically, both are fantastic.
its a pity most guys that have given a reply have either not rtead soyinka\s lion and jewel or that they have read but are not too sure about what it stands to correct, though you might through out the play, the fact remains that its not just about a king trying to seduce a jewel girl thereby trashing the dreams of one school headmaster,it goes beyond that.
I wouldn\t be saying soyinka,s work is a little better because he is a nigerian like some might think am infusing sentiments or because he is a nobel or because soyinka is arole model, but because the work was simply splendid.
I wasn,t ready for this but might do my assignment and post it notwithstanding the play to ne is a poem,it couched o much political issues in itself fusing it humor and disappointment, it raised the issue of African dogmatism like in the Zimbabwe,s and other African country,the issues of egocentrism,illiteracy and malingering hegemony.
I mean it touch into the society i have lived 21 of my valuable lives, it made me see the problems and stylishly leaves me in the tunnel with light to find my way out.
To me again to poem is deep and ingenious, little do people know that the whole play was in a daybringing forth an unknown concept to the realm of literature, I know perhaps all of you have read TESS of which I have also read I just will plead to you to read LION and deeply ponder over its change oriented philosophies insidiously splashed in it, it was concerned about change in Africa I say, showing the problems and a possible solution, simply just pick it up and read it like a POEM,

1 Like

Re: Thomas Hardy "tess Of The D'urbervilles & Whole Soyinka "the Lion & The Jewel&quot by tpia1: 1:36am On Jul 16, 2014
why are they being compared?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Anthill Of Sambisa ( Flash Fiction For Our Soldiers)- Akíntayo Akínjídé / The Lost Tribe / Jesus Always: Embracing Joy In His Presence - Ebook [kindle, PDF]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.