Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! (14536 Views)

Africa's Top 10 Richest Footballers Of All Time / Who Are Your Best Footballers Of All-time? (the Players You Watched Play) / Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by SuyaEater(m): 9:08pm On Apr 13, 2012
1. Okocha

2. Yekini

3. Kanu

4. Taribo West

5. Emmanuel Amunike

2 Likes

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Afam4eva(m): 11:38pm On Apr 13, 2012
This guy you be thief oo. I was just about opening this thread.

Please put up a poll.

@topic
It's between Kanu and Okocha.

@MODS
This is a frontpage material.
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by dayokanu(m): 11:54pm On Apr 13, 2012
1. Kanu

2. Finidi

3. Taribo

4. Yekini

5. Oliseh

1 Like

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Afam4eva(m): 11:56pm On Apr 13, 2012
dayokanu: 1. Kanu

2. Finidi

3. Taribo

4. Yekini

5. Oliseh

This is an insult to Okocha. What exactly is your criteria for ranking these players.
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by dayokanu(m): 12:04am On Apr 14, 2012
afam4eva:

This is an insult to Okocha. What exactly is your criteria for ranking these players.

What they achieved in their career in Europe

Kanu- 6th World footballer of the year Highest rank by any Nigerian ever. Won the CL, Played for top clubs like Arsenal, Inter Milan, Ajax

Finidi - Won the Champions league with Ajax

Taribo - Played football at its peak starring for Giants like AC Milan and Inter Milan

Yekini - First Nigerian to win African footballer of the year

Oliseh - Played football at its peak for Ajax, Dortmund and Juventus

All these players played when there was a limit to number of foreigners you can have in your club, Not now that some clubs can have 11 foreigners

5 Likes

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by 9jafreak: 1:37am On Apr 14, 2012
No Mikel?
Smh!

hahahahahahahahaha 2nd best to Messi lol

Our Youths are in a bad way today. 160 million and we can no longer produce 11 quality players .

To the topic:
Kanu
Yekini
Odegbami
Okocha
Oliseh
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by 360command: 1:39am On Apr 14, 2012
Samuel oparaji
Segun odegbami
Austin okocha
Kanu unwankwo
Rashidi yekini

1 Like

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by karfe(m): 2:18am On Apr 14, 2012
Kanu
Okocha
Yekini
Finidi
Oliseh
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Emylexray(m): 2:20am On Apr 14, 2012
KANU NWANKWO
RASHIDI YEKINI
DANIEL AMOKACHI
JAY JAY OKOCHA
VICTOR IKPEBA
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by piphunter(m): 2:23am On Apr 14, 2012
grin Thunder Balogun >:

1 Like

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Emylexray(m): 2:23am On Apr 14, 2012
Jay jay okocha wallowed in fame for most of his career without achieving anything worthwile. He is forth on my list! Common spoon he no win...God forbid! KANU all the way!!!
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by VUVUZELA10: 2:24am On Apr 14, 2012
So far, it appears the contributors are young men.
1. VICTOR ODUAH
2. CHRISTIAN CHUKWU
3. SEGUN ODEGBAMI
4. SAM OYEBODE
5. ILERIKA
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Emylexray(m): 2:26am On Apr 14, 2012
dayokanu:

Kanu- 6th World footballer of the year Highest rank by any Nigerian ever. Won the CL, Played for top clubs like Arsenal, Inter Milan, Ajax

Taribo - Played football at its peak starring for Giants like AC Milan and Inter Milan

All these players played when there was a limit to number of foreigners you can have in your club, Not now that some clubs can have 11 foreigners
nice breakdown, na ur mama born you. Jay jay na entertainment master..he was busy entertaining the spectators without being productive.
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Emylexray(m): 2:29am On Apr 14, 2012
VUVUZELA10: So far, it appears the contributors are young men.
1. VICTOR ODUAH
2. CHRISTIAN CHUKWU
3. SEGUN ODEGBAMI
4. SAM OYEBODE
5. ILERIKA
hmm...don't you think kanu deserves a place in your ranking?..just an opinion.
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by hannie: 2:38am On Apr 14, 2012
Muda LAWAL

Thunder BALOGUN

Segun ODEGBAMI

Inua RIGOGO

Emmanuel OKALA

Etim ESIN

Adokiye AMAESIMAKA

Haruna ILERIKA

Humphrey EDOBOR

These were fantastic players that are being overlooked by current generation analysts in the analysis of the top Nigerian footie players ever!. . .
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by MacLovington(m): 2:38am On Apr 14, 2012
You cannot really say top 5 Naija footballers ever.

How many are old enough here to remember pioneers of naija football when they were playing barefoot?

If you say Top 5 players of the past 30 years then:

Papillo
Okocha
Yekini
Amunike
Odegbami

Top 10

Papillo
Okocha
Yekini
Amunike
Odegbami
Amokachi
Adepoju
Best Ogendegbe
Muda Lawal
Adokiye Amiesimaka/Odemwingie

Also don't forget the likes of Alloy Atuegbu, David Adiele, Henry Nwosu, Owoblow, K. Ikhana, S. Okpala of the formidable 1980 squad (possibly Naija's best ever).
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by BabaEleko(m): 2:49am On Apr 14, 2012
My top 5

1. Terry G
2. Lord of Ajasa
3. Olamide
4. Wande Coal
5. Alariwo of Afrika
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Martin55: 3:04am On Apr 14, 2012
Segun odegbami
Austin okocha
Kanu unwankwo
[img]http://www.keyforex.info/pet.gif[/img]
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by wirinet(m): 3:05am On Apr 14, 2012
To me Rashidi Yekini is the best footballer that came out of Nigeria for the following reasons;
He was the highest goal scorer for all the leagues he played in, from Nigeria to ivory coast to Portugal. Imagine him being the hugest goal scored playing for a lowly club like Victoria setubal, when there are big clubs like sporting lisbon and benefica.

He was the highest goal scorer in almost all the nations cup he featured in.

Infact you could bet he would score if he has a clear chance against any team in the world.

His problem was he did not get good managers that could over hype him and get him better clubs and contracts.

Then the next according to me is George Finidi, he was a backbone of the great Ajax team of the late 80s and early 90s, in fact he was considered as the best number 7 in the whole world.

After finidi, I would choose Stephen Okechukwu Keshi, he also excelled in every league he played in and was the most influential player in his last club stratsburg. He was also the soul of the super eagles team for a very long time.

Then, I would choose Austin okocha mainly for his exploits in Germany and that he almost single handedly kept bolton in the premiership for two seasons.
Finally I would pick peter Rufia.

Although Kanu is the most decorated Nigerian player, my problem with him is that he never really broke into the first team of all the teams he played for. He was a substitute at Ajax. Same at arsenal. Even at portsmouth, he was not a regular, before I forget inter Milan. Even with the Nigerian senior team, you can count the number of times he played full 90mins.
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by wakes: 3:48am On Apr 14, 2012
1. RASHEED YEKINI
2. KANU NWAKWO
3. JAY JAY
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by EzeCanada: 4:20am On Apr 14, 2012
JJ Okocha
Rashidi Yekini
Emmanuel Amunike
Uche Okechukwu/Christian Chukwu
Vincent Enyeama
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by elampiro(m): 4:47am On Apr 14, 2012
dayokanu:

This makes sense to me. But Dan Amokachi should not be forgotten. He won nations cup, played integral part in qualification to Nigeria first world cup and also the world cup proper in USA '94, he won the Olympics and won FA cup with Everton.
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Basics007: 4:48am On Apr 14, 2012
I wasn't around when Odegbami,Adokiye or Muda Lawal played so i cant make any comments about them. Here is my own list
Mercy Akide
Florence Omagbemi
Perpetual Nkwocha
Kikelomo Ajayi
Precious Dede.

2 Likes

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by worldman(m): 4:58am On Apr 14, 2012
Nice post I think rashidi yekini is the best ever
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by ndidibabe(f): 5:27am On Apr 14, 2012
hannie: Muda LAWAL

Thunder BALOGUN

Segun ODEGBAMI

Inua RIGOGO

Emmanuel OKALA

Etim ESIN

Adokiye AMAESIMAKA

Haruna ILERIKA

Humphrey EDOBOR

These were fantastic players that are being overlooked by current generation analysts in the analysis of the top Nigerian footie players ever!. . .
Did you read the topic at all?
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Beaf: 5:31am On Apr 14, 2012
[size=13pt]Rashidi Yekini[/size]

Austin Okotcha
Kanu Nwankwo
Segun Odegbami
Phillip Osondu (the "under 16" who bluntly refused to grow when fed cornflakes in Europe)
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Ninilowo(m): 5:33am On Apr 14, 2012
1. U.S.A 94/Tunisia 94 team
2. Atlanta 96 team
3. Vincent Enyeama ( confirm from Messi)
4. Late Yemi Tella team ( did I hear u say over aged?)
5. The football supportes club ( the are d best and most consisted supportes club in the world)
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by stolenstone: 5:56am On Apr 14, 2012
omo this is sweet!!! Guys abeg make una post pix of some of these old players so that e go make plenty sense!!
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by naptu2: 6:34am On Apr 14, 2012
Jay Jay Okocha

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DF33nBKb8Pf8
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Mynd44: 6:37am On Apr 14, 2012
Basics007: I wasn't around when Odegbami,Adokiye or Muda Lawal played so i cant make any comments about them. Here is my own list
Mercy Akide
Florence Omagbemi
Perpetual Nkwocha
Kikelomo Ajayi
Precious Dede.
You are right. These are women who ruled the African continent and made us proud day in day out. You were almost certain they would win the cup when they went out to play. But you left out Cynthia Uwak
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by coolguy2002: 6:38am On Apr 14, 2012
nice
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by mydestiny2: 6:49am On Apr 14, 2012
Da gr8tst footballr of all time;
FUNKE AKINDELE
OLANIYI AFONJA SANYERI
ODUNLADE ADEKOLA
BOLAJI AMUSAN
BABATUNDE OMIDINA

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Startimes To Show African Nations Cup Matches Live / Official BLACK STARS of GHANA thread--GHANA vs Tunisia (1-1) Second Half / Brian Orakpo Celebrates His 34th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.