Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! (14547 Views)

Africa's Top 10 Richest Footballers Of All Time / Who Are Your Best Footballers Of All-time? (the Players You Watched Play) / Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by naptu2: 6:52am On Apr 14, 2012
I believe any top ten list should include the great Muda Lawal & Segun Odegbami. Here's a video of Muda, Segun, etc winning the 1980 nations cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tggt9Ply9lc

I would say

Kanu Nwankwo
Sunday Oliseh
Finidi George
Muda Lawal
Segun Odegbami
Rashidi Yekini
Emmanuel Amunike
Jay-Jay Okocha
Stephen Keshi
Peter Rufai
Henry Nwosu

For the girls

Perpetua Nkwocha
Mercy Akhide
Cynthia Uwak
Anne Agumanu
Vera Okolo
Florence Omagbemi
Nkiru Okosieme
Precious Dede
Ifeanyi Chiejine
Kikelomo Ajayi
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Nobody: 6:56am On Apr 14, 2012
ndidibabe: Did you read the topic at all?

Did you read his post at all ?
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by mydestiny2: 6:58am On Apr 14, 2012
Da gr8tst futballr of all time;
FUNKE AKINDELE
OLANIYI AFONJA SANYERI
ODUNLADE ADEKOLA
BOLAJI AMUSAN
BABATUNDE OMIDINA
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Andrew3(m): 7:03am On Apr 14, 2012
Yakubu
kaita
ikedia
lawal
akpoborie grin
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by naptu2: 7:15am On Apr 14, 2012
Greatest 23?

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by freecocoa(f): 7:20am On Apr 14, 2012
OMG shocked,am i that young?

Who are all these people wey una dey mention here?

1 Like

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by 4reigningqueen: 8:04am On Apr 14, 2012
1,Okocha,silverware or not,he made the young,old,men and women always want to watch football.even my mum that hates the game is a fan.
2,Peter Rufai. Though he was popular then as KEEPER RUFAI with almost all kid in the neighborhood writing the number 22 on their clothes not minding even if its ankara.
3,Kanu.not really a 90 minutes player but his contribution on the pitch is always seen.
4,Yekini,up till now we are still looking for a top 9 like him.someone said he never lost a penalty,well he made his mark.
5,Mikel,believ it or not,the guy is good.most nigerians hate him because he knows how to handle them.he focuses on wot he does and do it the way how he knows best regardless of critism.term it pride but i will do the same if iwere in his shoes.
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by starbug05: 8:14am On Apr 14, 2012
kanu jay jay okocha segun shegz okoro thunder lawal oliseh
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Basics007: 8:15am On Apr 14, 2012
naptu2: I believe any top ten list should include the great Muda Lawal & Segun Odegbami. Here's a video of Muda, Segun, etc winning the 1980 nations cup.

I would say

Kanu Nwankwo
Sunday Oliseh
Finidi George
Muda Lawal
Segun Odegbami
Rashidi Yekini
Emmanuel Amunike
Jay-Jay Okocha
Stephen Keshi
Peter Rufai
Henry Nwosu

For the girls

Perpetua Nkwocha
Mercy Akhide
Cynthia Uwak
Anne Agumanu
Vera Okolo
Florence Omagbemi
Nkiru Okosieme
Precious Dede
Ifeanyi Chiejine
Kikelomo Ajayi
Five five five!!! You no dey hear word ni?
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Remii(m): 8:15am On Apr 14, 2012
Teslim "Thunder" Balogun
Muda Lawal
Segun Odegbami
Kanu Nwakwo
Peter Rufai
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Mynd44: 8:17am On Apr 14, 2012
4reigningqueen: 1,Okocha,silverware or not,he made the young,old,men and women always want to watch football.even my mum that hates the game is a fan.
2,Peter Rufai. Though he was popular then as KEEPER RUFAI with almost all kid in the neighborhood writing the number 22 on their clothes not minding even if its ankara.
3,Kanu.not really a 90 minutes player but his contribution on the pitch is always seen.
4,Yekini,up till now we are still looking for a top 9 like him.someone said he never lost a penalty,well he made his mark.
5,Mikel,believ it or not,the guy is good.most nigerians hate him because he knows how to handle them.he focuses on wot he does and do it the way how he knows best regardless of critism.term it pride but i will do the same if iwere in his shoes.
Did I just see Mikel on that list? Oh please I would pick an Haruna over Mikel anyday
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by 4reigningqueen: 8:20am On Apr 14, 2012
mine in pics
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by emmke(m): 8:39am On Apr 14, 2012
kanu, finidi, okocha, west, yekini
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by sapien(m): 8:45am On Apr 14, 2012
Kanu Nwankwo,Rasheed Yeking,Emmanuel Amunike,Austin Okocha,Segun Odegbami.
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by dohyn(m): 8:51am On Apr 14, 2012
It all depends..going by all d analysis above and the achievements they had considering the situation(s),I'll pick yekini first.Any other four can follow..but speaking with my heart,I'll pick okocha..he may not have won lots of laurels but he surely won our hearts...
@wirinet,great analysis
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Afam4eva(m): 8:51am On Apr 14, 2012
Kanu Nwankwo
Jay jay Okocha
Christian Chukwu
Segun Odegbami
Rashidi Yekini
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by FACE(m): 8:53am On Apr 14, 2012
The football world and fans at large are generally biased towards - us- strikers and midfielders, cos we are out there dazzling and scoring goals, but can Messi play Dani Alves' position ? Can Kanu be in goal ? Can I play in left full back position ?

My top five of all time:

1.Striker: Yekini ; he scored goals as required and his shots could rip the net apart. OK, so he missed an open goal against Italy in 94 world, but I forgive him.

2.Central Midfield: Jay Jay; this area has paraded many greats, but Okocha takes the flag for me. I can't resist mentioning, Henry Nwosu, Sam Okwaraji, Siasia, Amokachi, Headmaster (Adepoju) etc

3. Wide/Flanking Midfield: Justice Amesiamaka Adokie. This guy was the Okocha of the flanks. According to Ernest Okonkwo, he had his senior and junior mesmerisms that he could use with ease. Segun Odegbami deserves a mention like Finidi, Amuneke,Babanigida, but Adokie it is for me.

4. Defence: Chairman Christian Chukwu. No one went near the goalie without Chukwu's permission.He ruled central defence with "iron boots".Not forgetting West,Okechukwu,Babayaro (modern day attacking full back)

5. Goalie: Emmanuel Okala was great. Peter Rufai comes very close, but the picture of him going to retrieve the ball from the net 3 times against Algeria broke my heart as a kid.

1 Like

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by LogicMind: 9:04am On Apr 14, 2012
freecocoa: OMG shocked,am i that young?

Who are all these people wey una dey mention here?

you are a woman.
oya, back to the kitchen grin

1 Like

Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by lafile(m): 9:05am On Apr 14, 2012
Anybody using trophy/silverware won as a criteria doen't know their left from right. Can you count hw many trophies John O'Shea and Wes Brown won with Man U? Does it make them great players? Kanu won los of stuff. But apart from 1996 what other impact did he have? Hw much tangible impact did he have on our National team, Ajax, Inter, Arsenal or Portsmouth? He was just a lucky tag along.
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by LogicMind: 9:06am On Apr 14, 2012
naptu2: I believe any top ten list should include the great Muda Lawal & Segun Odegbami. Here's a video of Muda, Segun, etc winning the 1980 nations cup.

I would say

Kanu Nwankwo
Sunday Oliseh
Finidi George
Muda Lawal
Segun Odegbami
Rashidi Yekini
Emmanuel Amunike
Jay-Jay Okocha
Stephen Keshi
Peter Rufai
Henry Nwosu

For the girls

Perpetua Nkwocha
Mercy Akhide
Cynthia Uwak
Anne Agumanu
Vera Okolo
Florence Omagbemi
Nkiru Okosieme
Precious Dede
Ifeanyi Chiejine
Kikelomo Ajayi

Na only Biafrans dey the girls' team
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Aderupoko2: 9:11am On Apr 14, 2012
Numba wan - Yekini
Lamba too - Okocha
Numba tiri - Keshi
Numba pour - Kanu
Numba pipe - Amokachie/Finidi
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by ZUBY77(m): 9:38am On Apr 14, 2012
Kanu Nwankwo
Austin Okocha
Rashidi Yekini/ Christian Chukwu
Uche Okechukwu/Amokachi/Finidi
Sunday Oliseh
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by naptu2: 9:38am On Apr 14, 2012
Logic Mind:

Lol! Florence Omagbemi? Kikelomo Ajayi?
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Tropilo(m): 9:52am On Apr 14, 2012
my destiny: Da gr8tst futballr of all time;
FUNKE AKINDELE
OLANIYI AFONJA SANYERI
ODUNLADE ADEKOLA
BOLAJI AMUSAN
BABATUNDE OMIDINA

Who are these, your monkey post team-mates?
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Torch1(m): 9:58am On Apr 14, 2012
Aderupoko2: Numba wan - Yekini
Lamba too - Okocha
Numba tiri - Keshi
Numba pour - Kanu
Numba pipe - Amokachie/Finidi
lmao! See numbering..
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by freemanrule: 10:27am On Apr 14, 2012
MY OWN NIGERIAN WORLD CLESS FOOTBALLERS OF ALL TIME are as follows kanu- the king okacha - d gods of d feild yekini - d u cnt see me bt never saw him play bt he's among my world class list. Mikel- take it or nt dt dude is a gold bt nt just a metal. Odemwingie d ster whom cn b seen anywere anytime.
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by aswani(m): 10:32am On Apr 14, 2012
1) Thunder Balogun
2) Christian Chukwu
3) Segun Odegbami
4) Stephen Keshi
5) Yisa Sofoluwe
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by igboboy1(m): 10:37am On Apr 14, 2012
Logic Mind:

tell ofe manus to stop doing asahawo on the street of lagos and come to enyimba city and join football academy
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by blackboi(m): 10:40am On Apr 14, 2012
1.Born2fork
2.~Killz~
3. Ileke_Idi (mama ekiti)
4. MMM angry
5. Beaf grin

@topic

Yekini
Jay Jay Okocha
Olise
Kanu
Finidi George
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by Tropilo(m): 10:46am On Apr 14, 2012
Mine are: 1, KANU NWANKWO for his "big heart" and soccer intelligence.
2, AUSTEN OKOCHA made us very proud of being Nigerians here in England and for his very natural skills.
3, STEPHEN KESHI in his time was d best libero in d world and for exposing Nigerian footballers to professionalism abroad.
4, AMUNIKE for his pace, mind for goals and d first African and only Nigerian to play for Barcelona FC.
5, FINIDI GEORGE for his inch perfect crosses, feat in Spain, patriotism to Nigeria during his time.
Wish i could name more. Pepertua NKWOCHA and Mikel OBI are both still very popular in Norway.
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by hardeyincah(m): 10:49am On Apr 14, 2012
Baba_Eleko: My top 5

1. Terry G
2. Lord of Ajasa
3. Olamide
4. Wande Coal
5. Alariwo of Afrika
grin grin grin
Simple english... Footballers and not Hip Hop artiste
Re: Rank The Top 5 Nigerian Footballers Of All Time!! by freecocoa(f): 10:50am On Apr 14, 2012
Logic Mind:

you are a woman.
oya, back to the kitchen grin
So as a woman i no fit watch the game or wetin?btw i no dey cook.tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bursaspor SK Signs Shehu Abdullahi / Lionel Messi Will Leave Inter Miami In 2025, Return To Boyhood Club, Newell / Scholes Wants Manchester United To Sign Wilfred Ndidi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.