Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,414 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Overstayer In The UK - Advice On What To Do? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Overstayer In The UK - Advice On What To Do? (1974 Views)

Studying In The UK Advice Needed / How Bright Or Bleak Is Overstaying On A Visiting Visa In The Uk / Pictures Of The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Overstayer In The UK - Advice On What To Do? by TripleAstar: 8:27pm On Apr 16, 2012
Hi NL,

I would like anyone with similar experience to share or advice on what to do.

(Vj, Justwise and others please respond)

I over stayed in the UK and now I want to apply for a visa into other countries.

No crime, no illegalities or any issue with the UK govt - was just a bit ignorant about the immigration rules....

I am considering filling the right date of entry and exist (and also willing to submit my passport showing this). In fact, I want to say the complete truth about my immigration history but not explicitly telling them I overstayed in the UK (they will know anyways).

I would like to ask - Do you think other countries like US and Canada will check for my immigration history from the UK border? What are my chances of getting a visa... What information do they ask for to be precise (entry or entry and exist)?

What would you rather do? lie and destroy evidence i.e. passport (but past visa is precious) or say the truth and see where it lands you?

What would you suggest I do? Anyone done this before and survived the panic... in a nutshell, how do you correct the wrongs of your immigration history especially for overstayers?

Please get back to me. It is quite important. I am just about to fill in my visa form.

Thanks!
AStar
Re: Overstayer In The UK - Advice On What To Do? by justwise(m): 9:12pm On Apr 16, 2012
TripleAstar: Hi NL,

I would like anyone with similar experience to share or advice on what to do.

(Vj, Justwise and others please respond)

I over stayed in the UK and now I want to apply for a visa into other countries.

No crime, no illegalities or any issue with the UK govt - was just a bit ignorant about the immigration rules....

I am considering filling the right date of entry and exist (and also willing to submit my passport showing this). In fact, I want to say the complete truth about my immigration history but not explicitly telling them I overstayed in the UK (they will know anyways).

I would like to ask - Do you think other countries like US and Canada will check for my immigration history from the UK border? What are my chances of getting a visa... What information do they ask for to be precise (entry or entry and exist)?

What would you rather do? lie and destroy evidence i.e. passport (but past visa is precious) or say the truth and see where it lands you?

What would you suggest I do? Anyone done this before and survived the panic... in a nutshell, how do you correct the wrongs of your immigration history especially for overstayers?

Please get back to me. It is quite important. I am just about to fill in my visa form.

Thanks!
AStar

Over staying your visa is not the worst immigration crime, were you deported or you left on your own? There is no point trying to destroy any evidence, just explain briefly if you are asked. Present your passport as its, trying to hide or hold back any info is like running away from your own shadow, if you are not asked then don't mention it.

1 Like

Re: Overstayer In The UK - Advice On What To Do? by TripleAstar: 9:24pm On Apr 16, 2012
Great! Not deported - I'm really comfortable as a person just ignorant of immigration rules and how it can affect your visa chances into other countries. Didn't know immigration was a big deal until now.

I wasn't asked - I just wanted to know people's opinion especially those that have successfully done it in the past.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Regards!

(1) (Reply)

A Place Called Iwoye-ketu In Ogun State / The World's Best Airports For Year 2020 According To Skytrax (Pictures) / Any Nigerian In Israel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.