Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft (4456 Views)

Nneka Ogwumike Celebrates Her 25th Birthday Today / Victor Oladipo And Chiney Ogwumike Rise Through Olajuwon’s Legacy.. / WNBA's Nneka Ogwumike Leads Sparks Past Fever 77-74 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by Nobody: 4:37am On Apr 17, 2012
Former Duke guard Kyrie Irving, the top pick in last year's NBA draft, earns a salary of $5.1 million as a rookie with the Cavaliers. On the league's wage scale, his salary will rise to $9.2 million in his fifth year.

Nneka Ogwumike, who led Stanford to four Final Fours, was the top pick in Monday's WNBA draft by the Los Angeles Sparks. Her salary will be considerably lower, as befits a league that has pockets of support but little national presence.

The salaries for the top four picks in the WNBA start at just $48,000 and grow to $61,000 by their fourth year.

Like most other WNBA players, Ogwumike will play overseas in the offseason to augment her income. Some top players leave the WNBA altogether because they can play in Europe and make four to five times the WNBA's maximum salary of about $105,000.

Ogwumike has no plans to do that. The beauty of being drafted by L.A., she said, is that it's the closest team to Stanford, where she plans to do graduate work in business.

"I feel great being with the Sparks," she said. "They have Candace Parker and Ebony Hoffman up front, and now they've got Nicky Anosike (in a trade with Washington). And they've got Alana Beard in the backcourt. That's about all I know about them."

The Sparks had the fourth-worst record in the league at 15-19 but won the draft lottery with the smallest chance - 10 percent - of the four eligible teams.

Ogwumike, a 6-foot-2 power forward, was the first Stanford player taken No. 1. Three previous Cardinal players - Jamila Wideman (1997), Nicole Powell (2004) and Candice Wiggins (2008) - went No. 3.

After Ogwumike, Tennessee guard Shekinna Stricklen went second to Seattle, and Notre Dame center Devereaux Peters was chosen third by defending champion Minnesota.

Lets celebrate smiley

Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by mamagee3(f): 5:21am On Apr 17, 2012
Good for her!!!
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by Okijajuju1(m): 12:12pm On Apr 17, 2012
Igbo women doing big things!! Just like NOI
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 17, 2012
Okija_juju: Igbo women doing big things!! Just like NOI

Please don't mention her, that woman has sold half of Nigeria's wealth to westerners!
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by Afam4eva(m): 2:27pm On Apr 17, 2012
Nice one. Nigerians are doing us proud.
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by oneeast: 2:42pm On Apr 17, 2012
Igbos are pride of Africa.
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by Afam4eva(m): 2:44pm On Apr 17, 2012
For the first time in the WNBA, an African is the first draft.
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by Okijajuju1(m): 2:54pm On Apr 17, 2012
afam4eva: For the first time in the WNBA, an African is the first draft.

Be specific. . . An African of Igbo origin.
Ranks007:

Please don't mention her, that woman has sold half of Nigeria's wealth to westerners!
afam4eva: For the first time in the WNBA, an African is the first draft.

Na you sabi that one. . . Name another Nigerian woman that you can place above her.
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by Afam4eva(m): 3:09pm On Apr 17, 2012
Okija_juju:

Be specific. . . An African of Igbo origin.

I mean an African because being first pick does not come easy and because we've only has a handful of Africans in the WNBA. I may be wrong though.
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 17, 2012
afam4eva:

I mean an African because being first pick does not come easy and because we've only has a handful of Africans in the WNBA. I may be wrong though.

Slow down, she's American smiley
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by rman: 5:37pm On Apr 17, 2012
one.east:
Igbos are pride of Africa.

Hakeem Olajuwon was selected number one overall in the NBA draft in 1984.
He won the NBA title and playoffs MVP in 1995
He is one of the top 5 centres in the history of basketball, to ever play the game
Hakeem grew up in Lagos Nigeria.

Ogbunike was born and raised in AMERICA
We should be proud of her but bringing all these Igbo talks into it is kinda funny.

What Olajuwon did as a youruba boy born and raised in Lagos is much more unique than what Ogbunike, a Nigerian American just achieved, and yourba peeps didnt make this much tribal related statements.

2 Likes

Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by Afam4eva(m): 5:45pm On Apr 17, 2012
rman:

He is one of the top 5 centres in the history of basketball, to ever play the game

We should be proud of her but bringing all these Igbo talks into it is kinda funny.

What Olajuwon did as a youruba boy born and raised in Lagos is much more unique than what Ogbunike, a Nigerian American just achieved, and yourba peeps didnt make this much tribal related statements.

You're the one who's making it tribal by bringing Yoruba into it.

I respect Hakeem Olajuwon for being the first draft in his own time even ahead of Micheal Jordan. yes, he was picked ahead of Micheal Jordan. he's the greatest basketballer ever to come out of Africa.

I also respect Ejike Ugboaja for being the first Nigerian to be picked right here in Nigeria.
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by Nobody: 2:17am On Apr 18, 2012
rman:

Yo chill down already. This chick is still fresh.
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by crusufixo(m): 11:22am On Apr 18, 2012
I keep wondering when we would stop adding tribal sentiments to the achievement of any nigerian abroad. Cant we just be happy that its a nigerian thats doing the whole of nigeria proud !!!!
Re: Nneka Ogwumike Top Pick In WNBA Draft by mizne1: 1:33pm On Apr 18, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Banker Of The Day / I'm Giving Free 2 Odds Rollover For 5days / Cristiano Ronaldo All Loved Up With Stunning New Girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.