Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,008 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Preachers On Commercial Buses - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Preachers On Commercial Buses (940 Views)

The Two Preachers On Earth / End-time Tinz: Lavish Lifestyles Of LA Preachers On Show In New Reality TV Show / Preaching In Commercial Buses: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preachers On Commercial Buses by dubem3(m): 9:51am On Apr 17, 2012
Before I begin this thread, I would love to make it known that am a practicing Christian who has no doubt about the existence of God. I just find it hard to cope with the extra magi and salt added to gospels, homilies and sermons by both ordained and self proclaimed men of God and how they go about the whole preach the gospel thing.
If you happen to travel a lot with commercial vehicles within Nigeria, you are bound to have noticed the growing trend of people coming to pray and preach the gospel to/with passengers of different vehicles.
It’s true that this did not start today, but it’s equally true that each day the methods applied by these preachers get more sophisticated and even funny.
It’s quite obvious that the increase in the number of preachers at parks and bus stops can be attributed to the addition of that sacred part of church services where people have to offer money. Probably for God to have a better look at their contrite hearts or maybe sell them some blessings etc (don’t get me wrong, am not against making offerings to God).
Most of the times, if the preacher does not have enough time to do his business, he mutters a few words, maybe of prayers or of encouragement and rushes to the all important part of asking you to ‘support the work of God’
Last week, I boarded a vehicle and just before we left a DUMB man came to pray and preach to us. He kept on making incoherent sounds and gesticulating wildly…at a point people started to stifle laughter and scream Amen and at the end of the whole show, he opened his hands and expected money, probably for the work of God which if you ask me, he did not do.
I’ve equally met others who insisted on getting replies insisting that everybody in the vehicle were Christians (how did he know that?)
My wonder is why do we Christians always seem to make a mockery of what we stand for?
Why does it have to be about the money?
There are different gifts from the same spirit…why do we all want to be preachers?

N.B: don’t tell me about any other religion they can do their own thing so let’s mind our business.
Consider me a brother that needs clarifications.
Don’t kill me just yet cos Jesus already died.
Let your comments flow
Re: Preachers On Commercial Buses by ProPastorChris(m): 10:40am On Apr 17, 2012
@ OP

thanks for this observation which many of us are not new to.

whenever i find myself in this situation, i feel very sorry for these preachers and i wonder if God actually called them or they only got a flash from God.
how do you explain the offering collections, its absurd and pathetic on their part. they need to review their calling and be very sure God actually called them.
on the other hand, the message of the cross is being preached anyway.
Re: Preachers On Commercial Buses by LogicMind: 2:38pm On Apr 17, 2012
if i ever go broke, nigerian christians are a sure way for me to fill my pockets.
Re: Preachers On Commercial Buses by Joel3(m): 11:41pm On Apr 17, 2012
Do not complain. If you cant give them money then leave them alone. U can't tell if God really called them. U see car accident in nigeria has reduce in the previous years this people u are pointing out has really help to avert many road dangers but u wont knw. Real prophet of God are suffering if u dont knw. search the scripture and tell me of one rich prophet?
Re: Preachers On Commercial Buses by dubem3(m): 8:12am On Apr 20, 2012
Joel.:
Do not complain. If you cant give them money then leave them alone. U can't tell if God really called them. U see car accident in nigeria has reduce in the previous years this people u are pointing out has really help to avert many road dangers but u wont knw. Real prophet of God are suffering if u dont knw. search the scripture and tell me of one rich prophet?

you know we should not because we have said prayers, refuse to stay on our guards.
It is true that its God who takes care of us in the end but its equally true that we have our parts to play.
Road accidents have been reduced because policemen who put up road blocks and cause accidents in their bid to extort money from motorists have been removed from the highways.
Besides, who says God grants safe journey only when u pray in the vehicle?
Re: Preachers On Commercial Buses by dubem3(m): 8:16am On Apr 20, 2012
Logic Mind: if i ever go broke, nigerian christians are a sure way for me to fill my pockets.

how easy do you think it actually is?
Defrauding people based on their
religious beliefs isn't the best of occupations
Re: Preachers On Commercial Buses by sweetcocoa(f): 8:26am On Apr 20, 2012
Joel.:
Hmm so its their preaching and prayers that have averted the road accidents? This is serious.

OP my own is that i don't give them,I'd rather give the money to beggars on the streets than to someone who comes saying what he doesn't even understand in the guise of spreading the word.
Re: Preachers On Commercial Buses by dubem3(m): 9:09am On Apr 20, 2012
sweetcocoa: Hmm so its their preaching and prayers that have averted the road accidents? This is serious.

OP my own is that i don't give them,I'd rather give the money to beggars on the streets than to someone who comes saying what he doesn't even understand in the guise of spreading the word.

exactly, i see these people as con artists of some sort. Even the beggars sef i see good reasons before i give out money to them, not able bodied young men and women who should be working hard to help themselves. You see these preachers, i put them in the same class with those beggars begging without reasons.

(1) (Reply)

Is Judas A Bad Name To Bear? / Is Diluminati Deranged, Confused Or Just Seeking Attention? / Bible Folks, Check Out This Passage.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.