Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,673 members, 7,955,472 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:52 AM

Choosing A Career Path: Who Decides - My Parents Or Me? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Choosing A Career Path: Who Decides - My Parents Or Me? (1634 Views)

How Lucrative Is Pharmacy As A Career? / Possible Career Path For A Physics Graduate / This Crippled Man Decides To Work Instead Of Begging (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Choosing A Career Path: Who Decides - My Parents Or Me? by coold(m): 11:25am On Nov 07, 2007
This is usually a challenge for most young people especially in this era where certain careers that were once considered low class are now becoming more profitable. there is always a question of a child wanting to follow a particular career e.g. music and the parents demanding an alternative choice e.g. law. who really has the authority to decide?
Re: Choosing A Career Path: Who Decides - My Parents Or Me? by Seun(m): 11:31am On Nov 07, 2007
Obviously, you have the right to determine your career. This is 2007, for goodness' sake, we ought to be enlightened.
Re: Choosing A Career Path: Who Decides - My Parents Or Me? by career1st(f): 8:01pm On Nov 10, 2007
On a broader view, degree of influence varies depending on the level at education, experience and background of the individual in focus. You and you alone are the author of your career path. Parents, career advisors, mentors, pastors, imams, friends, whoever you look up to are all there as guides and not dictators during the decision-making process.

As someone said, this is a common trend in our part of the world. Development is creating room for many career paths that would have been looked down at or totally accepted by a parent.

The end point should always be personal fulfilment and service (which can be relative).

(1) (Reply)

Ond/nd/nce Vacancy At Abuja. / Career Opportunity / Is It Possible To Be Invited For Interview In Uk For Job Applied For In Naija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.