Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,984 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

Music And Infinity - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Music And Infinity (1734 Views)

Christ Embassy Holds Loveworld Festival Of Music And Arts, Johannesburg(photos) / The Oneness Of Infinity Explained. . . / Ipfy Music And Xtian Resource Center (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Music And Infinity by PastorAIO: 4:32pm On Apr 24, 2012
ps. I'm not sure that I believe the 2nd law of thermodynamics. But let me first look into Shannon's etc
Re: Music And Infinity by aletheia(m): 6:47pm On Apr 24, 2012
Pastor AIO:
Is this based on religious belief or on Scientific investigation or on some other means?

My religious worldview suggests so and science seems to echo that. . .only there is no consensus as to how it will all end.

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

- Robert Frost

See Theories About the End of the Universe

Perhaps there really is a Restaurant At the End of the Universe. grin
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Pastor AIO:
I would question the assertion that time was linear.

I shouldn't be surprised at this objection. Some others hold that time is cyclical:

Both the Rig Veda and Brahmanda Purana describe a universe that is cyclical or oscillating and infinite in time. The universe is described as a cosmic egg that cycles between expansion and total collapse. It expanded from a concentrated form — a point called a Bindu. The universe, as a living entity, is bound to the perpetual cycle of birth, death, and rebirth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_cosmology

Pastor AIO:

The greatest weight.-
- What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence - even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!"
Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus?... Or how well disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life to crave nothing more fervently than this ultimate eternal confirmation and seal?

from Nietzsche's The Gay Science, s.341, Walter Kaufmann transl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_return

An interesting quote that seems at first glance to be dialetically opposed to the Hindu view.

Pastor AIO: ps. I'm not sure that I believe the 2nd law of thermodynamics. But let me first look into Shannon's etc
What are your objections regarding the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?
Re: Music And Infinity by PastorAIO: 6:56am On Apr 25, 2012
aletheia:

What are your objections regarding the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

If it were true then how did a universe of heterogenous parts come to exist in the first place? If Energy is constantly being dissipated rather than accumulated then how comes the world is the way it is? That would suggest that way back at the beginning of the universe the distribution of energy was extremely uneven, more so than now. Does this tie in with any theories we have of cosmogenesis?

I think it more likely that as there is a principle that causes dissipation of energy (2nd law) ,there is as well another principle that shapes and orders energy into the forms that we perceive around us.
Re: Music And Infinity by wirinet(m): 10:08am On Apr 25, 2012
Deep Sight:

Okay, lets widen the post a little. You have yourself struck on something without recognizing it.

You said that "the human ear is sensitive to a limited range of frequencies, from about 20hz to 20MHz. We cannot perceive lower and higher frequencies."

Please note the bolded within the italicized above.

This infers that there are many frequencies that the human ear is not sensitive to.

And as such, obviously many sounds that humans can not or do not hear.

Which would infer the possibility of the existence of many notes that humans do not perceive.
yes, that is why I gave the range of frequency that the human hear can pick. Other animals can pick frequencies that humans cannot hear, for example, whales can hear much lower frequencies than humans while bats can hear extremely fast frequencies far beyond human perception.
Deep Sight:

Would your conclusion be revised if in the future humans develop greater auditory refinement and thus are exposed to a new world of frequencies?

You do not need to wait for the future, in the course of a life time, the range of frequencies the ear can hear reduces with age. Nokia has taken advantage of this fact by making a phone that only children and teenagers can hear the ring tones.

Deep Sight:
Are aLL the possible frequencies in existence finite?

No. I have already told you why.
Deep Sight:

Please refer to same questions for LIGHT as well.

You cannot refer the above to light. Sound is a mechanical affair, it is caused by mechanical disturbance of air or other media. It requires a medium for it to be transferred.
Meanwhile light is another thing altogether, it is the transfer and transmission of electromagnetic energy, it required no medium.
Deep Sight:
There are quanta of light that humans cannot see, no? Some animals have better refinement in that regard. To what extent can we state that such quanta are really finite? Is it to the extent of our perception only? Do the issues of sound and light not tend to gradations of infinity? Is there trully a state of absolute no light or absolute no sound, anywhere in existence, or is there rather just reduced or increased gradations, which tend to infinity?

Quantum of light is the basic packet of light, they come in specific energy levels representing specific frequencies, there is no graduation between one energy level and the other.

Have to stop here, it is very tiring posting with a mobile phone.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can't There Be A Way To Stop Death At Kabba When Hijjira Is Being Performed? / . / Endtime Indeed!! First Church Of Lucifer Established. (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.