Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,038 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) (11811 Views)

The Great Debate- Is God Alive?..atheism Vs Religion / The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by MyJoe: 4:34pm On Sep 19, 2012
all4naija: God argument based on fallacy. It is right we define God first before making claim of religion God(as most of you are already distancing yourselves from religion God in your comments).
1. God has been defined - he's the creator.
2. What do you mean by "religion God" and who's making a claim of him?
3. Nobody is distancing themselves from anything. Deism does not start out from the backyard of any religion.

thehomer:
Actually, it does because it would mean that God would need to have a body to be considered as being a conscious entity. If he does have a body, then it would mean that he exists in space and time.
I doubt it's possible to discuss this properly since your concept of "body" begins and ends with the physical.
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by truthislight: 6:43pm On Sep 19, 2012
Deep Sight:
@ thehomer, I heard you are in real life a Pastor at Mountain of Fire and Miracles.

hmmm! angry
Deep Sight:
@ thehomer, I heard you are in real life a Pastor at Mountain of Fire and Miracles.

hmmm!
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by thehomer: 7:29pm On Sep 19, 2012
MyJoe:
. . . .
I doubt it's possible to discuss this properly since your concept of "body" begins and ends with the physical.

We may as well end this here because i really don't understand what you mean when you talk of a non-physical body with respect to consciousness.
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by UyiIredia(m): 7:43pm On Sep 19, 2012
thehomer:

Your dull and lazy attempt at obfuscation and time wasting means this part of the discussion has come to an end. Next time, if you wish to have a serious discussion, first present your argument.

You are the lazy one. And you just proved it by not responding to my well-thought out statements. You need to go back and read philosophy and while doing that familiarize yourself with Aquinas and his proofs.
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by UyiIredia(m): 7:46pm On Sep 19, 2012
thehomer:

Means that what is progressive? Christianity or science? If Christianity, just how progressive can it be when it is all tied down to a Book?

Not quite. It's more about character building and fellowship. Besides, you seem to forget that early Christians didn't have the Bible as we do.
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by jayriginal: 8:19pm On Sep 19, 2012
MyJoe:
I just took a look at the write-up. It’s well-written and I’d like to find time to read everything, but my thinking right now is that the writer appears stuck in his materialist universe. I think the problem is, perhaps, that you guys look for things spiritual with the tools of science.

In asserting that consciousness cannot exist outside of a body because of observations made of humans, science or philosophy may be off its turf.

BTW, if a body is needed to have consciousness, it doesn't take anything away from the God argument.

Ok boss.
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by jayriginal: 8:22pm On Sep 19, 2012
Deep Sight:

In fact i heard him shouting, satan, die, die, die! outside their church

Depends on what tribe theHomer is. Where I served in Nnewi, they were shouting "Nwon Nwon Nwon" (my humble transcription).

Edit:
@TheHomer
Boss, na joke we dey oh. grin
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by thehomer: 8:26pm On Sep 19, 2012
Deep Sight:

In fact i heard him shouting, satan, die, die, die! outside their church

Are you sure it was me? grin

You would be hard pressed to find me attending at any church though.
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by Nobody: 8:34pm On Sep 19, 2012
MyJoe:
1. God has been defined - he's the creator.
2. What do you mean by "religion God" and who's making a claim of him?
3. Nobody is distancing themselves from anything. Deism does not start out from the backyard of any religion.

You are very funny.

1. God is now synonymous with creator? If God is creator what did it create? Should we accept the creator of the Bible, Koran ,The Hindu script,etc?

2. Religion is an established way of belief and worship of supernatural beings(fairies). Greeks have good history for gods.

3. Come on, some of you were quick to claim different gods and some also assert that existence of god is evident in nature - which is different from the mainstream belief that God spoke to people in the past, revealed to them his book and presence and send his only begotten son(Bwhahaha...)
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by thehomer: 9:08pm On Sep 19, 2012
jayriginal:

Depends on what tribe theHomer is. Where I served in Nnewi, they were shouting "Nwon Nwon Nwon" (my humble transcription).

Edit:
@TheHomer
Boss, na joke we dey oh. grin

Don't worry. There won't be a protest against the post with people demanding for decapitation. Deep Sight should be safe for now. But if there were cartoons, that would be taking things too far. My minions will have no choice but to start looking for embassies to invade and protest the images.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by MyJoe: 9:21pm On Sep 19, 2012
all4naija: You are very funny.

1. God is now synonymous with creator? If God is creator what did it create? Should we accept the creator of the Bible, Koran ,The Hindu script,etc?

2. Religion is an established way of belief and worship of supernatural beings(fairies). Greeks have good history for gods.

3. Come on, some of you were quick to claim different gods and some also assert that existence of god is evident in nature - which is different from the mainstream belief that God spoken to people in the past, revealed to them his book and presence and send his only begotten son(Bwhahaha...)
Creator is the most common and most basic definition of God. Maybe you really didn't know.

Not sure what the rest of what you wrote is to do with my expressed views. Read me on page 0 - people have different views about the nature of God and what he does but he means creator to most. The Greeks had gods, yeah. Bye.
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by Kay17: 10:28pm On Sep 19, 2012
According to the wikipedia article you recommended, non-intervention was a defining quality of the deist God.

Also God created the world from??
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by cyrexx: 6:43am On Sep 20, 2012
thehomer:

Don't worry. There won't be a protest against the post with people demanding for decapitation. Deep Sight should be safe for now. But if there were cartoons, that would be taking things too far. My minions will have no choice but to start looking for embassies to invade and protest the images.

that means that you have managed to suucessfully start and deploy a religion where people will believe with the whole of their heart and chant the statements

"there is no god except thehomer's God and thehomer is his messenger"

"death to anyone who insults thehomer and his god"

"the highest achievement in thehomer's religion is to kill and be killed for thehomers God"
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 20, 2012
MyJoe:
Creator is the most common and most basic definition of God. Maybe you really didn't know.

Not sure what the rest of what you wrote is to do with my expressed views. Read me on page 0 - people have different views about the nature of God and what he does but he means creator to most. The Greeks had gods, yeah. Bye.
Dude, I don't know what you are on about. You make a list which I respond to accordingly and now you don't know what the rest is all about. Thank you for your complexity. Indeed, you can not define God in the first place yet you are bent on arguing about it.

Still, there is nothing like God in the real sense. Just humanly made up to have sense of something beyond what they don't understand about many things in the environment(the natural world).
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by thehomer: 1:01pm On Sep 20, 2012
cyrexx:

that means that you have managed to suucessfully start and deploy a religion where people will believe with the whole of their heart and chant the statements

"there is no god except thehomer's God and thehomer is his messenger"

"death to anyone who insults thehomer and his god"

"the highest achievement in thehomer's religion is to kill and be killed for thehomers God"

What else would you expect from a master mind? The religious text will be out soon. Grab your copy when it's available.
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by MyJoe: 1:13pm On Sep 20, 2012
all4naija: Dude, I don't know what you are on about. You make a list which I respond to accordingly and now you don't know what the rest is all about. Thank you for your complexity. Indeed, you can not define God in the first place yet you are bent on arguing about it.

Still, there is nothing like God in the real sense. Just humanly made up to have sense of something beyond what they don't understand about many things in the environment(the natural world).
Ok
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 20, 2012
thehomer:

What else would you expect from a master mind? The religious text will be out soon. Grab your copy when it's available.

Are you crazy??!!!!! You already pledged fealty to THE GREAT LEPRECHAUN. How dare you try to start your own "path to enlightenment"? The punishment for apostasy is death!!! I'm going to e-kill you.
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by truthislight: 5:43pm On Sep 20, 2012
thehomer:

Is Cyrexx one of "your", you know!

That he needs to buy the grand masters book?
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by truthislight: 5:45pm On Sep 20, 2012
Martian:

Are you crazy??!!!!! You already pledged fealty to THE GREAT LEPRECHAUN. How dare you try to start your own "path to enlightenment"? The punishment for apostasy is death!!! I'm going to e-kill you.

hmmm!
This promises to be worst than islam. grin
Martian:

hmmm!
This promises to be worst than islam.
Re: Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) by thehomer: 6:41pm On Sep 20, 2012
Martian:

Mine is The Reformed Church of the Great Leprechaun aka church of thehomer. Repent of your blasphemy before I send my inquisitors after you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Atheist's Prayer / Some Funny Churches Name. / How To Know A Fake Pastor In 5min

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.