Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away (2549 Views)

My Passion For Poetry. / My Passion For Poetry. / A-jerry And His Love For Poetry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by dipotepede(m): 11:22am On Nov 08, 2007
My name is Dipo Tepede

I believe that "Talk is Cheap!"

With the view of improving literature in Nigeria, I have decided to get the 10 great poem where only three best poems will be going home with Ipod Nano (1G, 2G and 4G).

Please, see details of the competition (above-subject) on www.dipotepede.com

Thank you

Oceans of Love,

Dipo Tepede

P.S. 33K Naira was given away to the best blogger 3 months ago.

Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by penfold(m): 11:55am On Nov 08, 2007
@poster!!

i challenge you on the accuracy of this statement
dipotepede:

P.S. 33K Naira was given away to the best blogger 3 months ago.

i don't want to conclude that you are a scammer (intellectual property pilferer actually) but the story writing competition you claim to have hosted some time ago brings serious doubts to my mind about the "genuineness" of some of your offers, even the writers that were shortlisted were not informed about the subsequent details and i stand to be corrected on the assumption that the competition was not actually concluded and a winner declared, the question then is, what happened to the entries and the tons of literary materials that were submitted, i hope someone has not been feeding fat on the products of other peoples "sweat"!!! now we are to submit poems again, i think before anybody decides to stick out his/her neck, these issues need to be explained.

Oluwaseun omo Osewa, i think you should take note of this!!!

Dipo,

nothing personal you know, just want explanations, I love you too!!!

The Pen that Folds!!!
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by Geezle(m): 12:09pm On Nov 08, 2007
cool cool cool undecided angry angry shocked shocked shocked sad

dunno o!!!
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 08, 2007
Hi Dipo
i'm a little skeptical about everything oh whats the catch? whats the assurance,that we wouldn't be wasting our time, whats the topic on? Freestyle poetry? Who are you as in what are you, no offense, but talk to me

yomola
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by dipotepede(m): 12:56pm On Nov 08, 2007
My name is Dipo Tepede - one of the sons of the Living God

I believe I must be the change I want to see in the world (Mahatma Ghandi)

I have been too busy to post pictures of 33K Naira that was given to Fidel Ogiso for being the winner of the Blogger's competition. When I get home from work, I would post the picture here.

My aim is simply to encourage literature in Nigeria and if it involves a little sacrifice like hosting a comptition then I must do it.

I hope to encourage more people who are wealthier than I to do the same thing in their own area of passion.

Instead of blaming the government, etc. Let us be the light that shines in the dark.

Thank you.

Critisisms are very welcomed!
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by damoche07(m): 2:30pm On Nov 08, 2007
I have been to the posters blog a few times.he popularises his blog quite well.Also heard about the 33k price sometimes ago.

However,we are waiting for proofs that the first competition wasn't fake.

We also need assurance that the poems wont be 'stolen'.Its not easy to write good poems u know.

Hope i didnt get your face squeezed,poster?Apologise if i did but no regrets.
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by surugede(m): 3:02pm On Nov 08, 2007
well ppl should just be carefull. i am not saying he is not real but irst read this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-89820.0.html thats how they go about stealing ppls creativity
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 08, 2007
surugede, thanks ok, just in case he is a fraud, i'll haul insults every time i log in to niraland grin wink
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by penfold(m): 4:08pm On Nov 08, 2007
Hi Dipo,
you can see am not alone in my quest for answers to all the questions and observations above, as it is you've not yet given specific answers to the questions. Please it will help a lot if you address these issues and not just be generally vague.

I hope you'll reply soon!!!
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by dipotepede(m): 8:38pm On Nov 08, 2007
I am having issues with my pics; they are 1.6MB and it cant upload.

Please, help!
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by dipotepede(m): 9:41pm On Nov 08, 2007
This is moi (at the right) and Fidel Ogiso (at the left)showing off his recently obtained cheque.

See the smile on his face!

Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by dipotepede(m): 9:54pm On Nov 08, 2007
Fidel Ogiso smiling beautifully after receiving 33K dols cheque

Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by dipotepede(m): 10:02pm On Nov 08, 2007
sorry, that was 33K Naira, I guess I am getting use to dollars,
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by SMC(f): 11:46pm On Nov 08, 2007
While I commend the posters intentions [I assume they are genuine and in good faith], I must say that the manner the "blogger" writing competition was handled cast some doubts/aspersions on the process generally. I remember going to read the shortlisted submissions and coming across an incomplete entry by a contestant. I left different messages on Dipo Tipede's website and here on Nairaland regarding this fact, but Dipo ignored them all. The fact of the matter is that that particular writer in all probability, submitted a complete entry into the competition but was never given a fair chance. He/she was prejudiced in the competition and thus the competition was not fair.

As far as I am concerned, if you hold yourself out to do a good job, endeavour to do it well and not in a shoddy manner.
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by dipotepede(m): 7:31am On Nov 09, 2007
@ SMC

I really understand what you mean and I would say on behalf of my team that I am very sorry.

Hosting the bloggers competition was not as easy as I thought it was and the process may not be as transparent as it should be. the work was quite cumbersome and there were no volunteers to suport the team.

Now in order to make this Yuletide POeTry competition work; I am calling for volunteers to review poems and judge. If you are interested in volunteering, you may go to http://www.dipotepede.com/contact-me/ and get in touch.

Thanx. Hope to get better.

Contributions and critisisms are welcome,
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by penfold(m): 3:33pm On Nov 09, 2007
@poster,

well at least you replied, that shows that at least you're making attempts at being reasonable, any other person would have turned it into personal stuff and i commend you for being objective about it all.

Wishing you better luck in your team organization, atta boy!!!
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by SMC(f): 8:34pm On Nov 09, 2007
penfold:

@poster,

well at least you replied, that shows that at least you're making attempts at being reasonable, any other person would have turned it into personal stuff and i commend you for being objective about it all.

HEAR! HEAR!!
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by Kubed2klin(m): 3:33pm On Nov 10, 2007
Dipo those smile on the pix does not convince me that a winner emerged from that contest.

Being one of the final entrants shortlisted for voting by guests, I never for one, saw amy mechanism put in place for voting. Several times people I had referred to the site to read my essay and vote accordingly, always replied me that they never had the chance to vote.

How you got to realising a winner is still absurd and undermines the fact that I am beginning to get skeptical, if someone somewhere have not been hooking on other peoples creativity to earn himself some doh for club freedom.

The guy on that pix could be your cousin or friend.

That cheque could be a dud one, as no official ceremony was convened for the announcement of a winner.

Dipo we know we are in Nigeria, but please try and be fair to all the wonderful persons that sent those creative essays
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by dipotepede(m): 6:01pm On Nov 10, 2007
@ kube2akin

You were not happy about the first competition; can you volunteer for the second one since you have so much insight into organizing things like this,
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by safabest(m): 2:31pm On Nov 11, 2007
I suppose you guys could use a little help then, lol
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by Orikinla(m): 11:24am On Nov 14, 2007
Dipo has done well by sponsoring this entry-free literary competitions.
How many of our prize winning Nigerian authors are encouraging newbies as Dipo is doing.

Most of the contests in America and the UK come with entry fees from $5 or five pounds and the organisers do not have the time to answer queries online.

Dipo sponsored a poetry competition, and a young poet won and commended him months ago.

Let us be realistic and grateful.

How many members of the over 148,000 registered on Nairaland have even tried to do what Dipo is doing.

Nigerians!
God will help us.

I hate PHD syndrome.

You cannot Pull Him Down!
Go and do your own.
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by tianshie(m): 6:57pm On Nov 14, 2007
Like Kubes said I had a hard time getting people to vote for me.Too much red tape and what not.

I think as usual Dipo is just trying to drive traffic to his site. Not a bad idea but I mention it just so you know we aint mugs.

I won't be writing sh*t.
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by Orikinla(m): 1:05pm On Nov 15, 2007
If you want to drive visitors to your site, Nairaland is not highly recommended, because of the low level of intellectual knowledge of most of the members.

I ping most of my posts on Nairaland and each ping drives over 50 visitors to Nairaland.

If Dipo wants more traffic to his site, he can spend only $200 to advertise on Daily Kos or any of the popular American blogs or sites with millions of visitors daily and then give $100 to an winner takes all poetry contest.

I have seen American and British poetry contests, with as little as $50 for the First Prize.

I have not met Dipo and I did not participate in the last contest and won't participate in any of the contests, but I can tell that he is sincere in his commitment to encourage the appreciation of poetry.

The only problem is the judges may not be qualified, because poetry is not as simple as most people think and they just string sentences together and call it poetry.

If I use IFA Divination to compose a poem, I doubt if anyone on Nairaland or on other sites can discern it.

Most people cannot tell the difference between Igbo poetry and Yoruba poetry and when the methods are used to compose poems in English, they would be clueless on the content and context of the poetry.
Most ignorant readers do not even know what is allegory or oratory.

I only take part in literary contests if the judges are qualified and their profiles must be published.

If you did not study literature beyond your first degree, you cannot judge poetry.
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by dipotepede(m): 4:33pm On Nov 15, 2007
@ Orikinla

I would love you to be one of the judges; your expertise would be very well appreciated.

You may contact me thru http://www.dipotepede.com/contact-me/

Thank you.
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by penfold(m): 7:49pm On Nov 15, 2007
dipotepede:

@ Orikinla

I would love you to be one of the judges; your expertise would be very well appreciated.

You may contact me through http://www.dipotepede.com/contact-me/

Thank you.

Orikinla:

If you want to drive visitors to your site, Nairaland is not highly recommended, because of the low level of intellectual knowledge of most of the members.

I ping most of my posts on Nairaland and each ping drives over 50 visitors to Nairaland.

If Dipo wants more traffic to his site, he can spend only $200 to advertise on Daily Kos or any of the popular American blogs or sites with millions of visitors daily and then give $100 to an winner takes all poetry contest.

I have seen American and British poetry contests, with as little as $50 for the First Prize.

I have not met Dipo and I did not participate in the last contest and won't participate in any of the contests, but I can tell that he is sincere in his commitment to encourage the appreciation of poetry.

The only problem is the judges may not be qualified, because poetry is not as simple as most people think and they just string sentences together and call it poetry.

If I use IFA Divination to compose a poem, I doubt if anyone on Nairaland or on other sites can discern it.

Most people cannot tell the difference between Igbo poetry and Yoruba poetry and when the methods are used to compose poems in English, they would be clueless on the content and context of the poetry.
Most ignorant readers do not even know what is allegory or oratory.

I only take part in literary contests if the judges are qualified and their profiles must be published.

If you did not study literature beyond your first degree, you cannot judge poetry.
Orikinla:

Dipo has done well by sponsoring this entry-free literary competitions.
How many of our prize winning Nigerian authors are encouraging newbies as Dipo is doing.

Most of the contests in America and the UK come with entry fees from $5 or five pounds and the organisers do not have the time to answer queries online.

Dipo sponsored a poetry competition, and a young poet won and commended him months ago.

Let us be realistic and grateful.

How many members of the over 148,000 registered on Nairaland have even tried to do what Dipo is doing.

Nigerians!
God will help us.

I hate PHD syndrome.

You cannot Pull Him Down!
Go and do your own.

I LAUGHETH
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by tianshie(m): 11:50pm On Nov 16, 2007
@ Oriki
Boss, stick to what you know.
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by dipotepede(m): 1:19pm On Nov 17, 2007
Remember, 27th is the last day of collection.
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by Orikinla(m): 6:31pm On Nov 18, 2007
penfold:

I LAUGHETH

Please, get the book on the best new writers from Nigeria.
Read the last newsletter of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA).

If you know the history of Nigerian Literature from the last century to date, you would be wiser.

I always advise Nigerian writers to join ANA, where we separate the boys from the men.
The best literary association to join in the US is the Chautuaqua Literary and Scientific Circle (CLSC) and it is not FFA.

Any dummy can post on FFA forums.

[size=14pt]If you are good, show me your books or other publications and not self-published[/size].

@Dipo,
I am not qualified to judge poems in a competition.

I can judge fiction, but poetry is is higher than fiction.

Poetry is the highest level of literature.

Dipo, continue as you have already started and ANA appreciates what you are doing.

If you are in Nigeria, come to ANA Lagos or ANA Abuja meetings.
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by Orikinla(m): 2:02pm On Nov 19, 2007
A Good Example of Poetry Judging Criteria

Drachenwald A&S Criteria (Revised 11/00)
DOCUMENTATION (3-30 points. SCORED 1-10 then MULTIPLY BY 3) Must have at least a 3x5 card (or A6 paper). More is acceptable, although one or two pages should be more than enough, not counting visuals and bibliography. Three pages for exceptionally detailed and in-depth work. The best documentation will cover what they did in period, what the creator did in the project, and why the difference (if any). It will also explain any conscious compromises made, and provide footnotes, illustrations, and references, as well as any original research or experimentation as it applies to the project. Give score based on the following:

• A minimum of a 3 x 5 (A6) card with some of the following: Name (type) of item, country of origin, period of origin, characteristics of style for that period, reference.
• Materials used in the project
• Skills (necessary to complete the project)
• Methods and Tools used during the process
• Research (country, period of origin, typical characteristics, etc), visual and descriptive references (books, portraits, etc.) from reliable sources
• Artistic design in terms of particular devices or techniques in terms of the conventions of the times, the limits of the form, justification for unusual themes or devices; explanations of possible obscurities, explanation of the relationship of subject, theme, conventions, literary devices, as appropriate to choice of form and to social context of specified place and time, using period examples.

AUTHENTICITY (0-20 points) [SCORE 0-10 and then DOUBLE THE SCORE]
• 0: Extremely out of period form (Ex., free verse) or out of period variation on period form (Ex., rhymes that are clearly modern in concept)
• 1-2: Period form containing glaring anachronisms
• 3: Period form with obviously non-period elements in style, themes, subject; OR period subject and themes, but non-period form; OR obvious mixture of elements from incompatible periods or cultures (e.g. courtly love in Norse verse).
• 4: Period form but subject inappropriate to or inconsistent to form OR one or two slight inconsistencies or subtle anachronisms in theme or subject
• 5-6: Few if any slight inconsistencies in form, theme, subject, method; overall, the work has the flavor and character of its period
• 7-8: No anachronisms or inconsistencies in form, theme, subject. Some attempt at proper use of period diction and phrasing.
• 9-10: Proper use of period language and vocabulary (or reasonable equivalent if style would have required a foreign language); special effort to use themes, literary devices, language, sentiments, subjects, conventions, etc. as appropriate to form and consistent with each other; appropriateness to a specified time-place context or occasion

COMPLEXITY (1-10 points) Rank the ambition of the entry, not the workmanship, scale of 1-10 based on the following:
• Precise literary use of puns or double entendres (dreadful puns excluded)
• Good job of mood setting, use of period conventions, precise literary use of puns, symbols, allegory, extended metaphor
• Number and variety of period conventions, symbolism, allegory, extended metaphor, allusion, etc.
• Use of period vocabulary and period grammar; i.e., use of kennings in alliterative verse or conceits in sonnets
• Form (examples: narrative couplets -very easy, ballads -easy, triolets and rondels --average, sonnets and villanelles -above average, alliterative and complex acrostics -hard, complex fixed forms--very hard, depending on the way the form is used.)
• Subject and theme, including levels of meaning attempted
• Appropriateness of form to subject matter and scale (length) of work.

WORKMANSHIP (3-30 points. SCORE 1-10 then MULTIPLY BY 3) Rank the quality of execution and success of the entry on a scale of 1-10 based on the following:
• Application of form (including technical details of rhyme, meter, alliteration, etc. as applicable)
• Use of language and vocabulary, including grammar and literary devices
• Clarity and logic
• Use of conventions as appropriate
• Special appropriateness to time, place, person, occasion, or situation

AESTHETIC VALUE (1-10 points) Rate the aesthetic effect and appeal beyond mere technical proficiency. Consider how you react to the entry & how the entrant seems to have related to the materials, processes & finished project. Consider:
• Difficult to read, reasoning cloudy?
• More than one level of meaning?
• Boring, interesting, or entertaining?
• Presentation and your intuitive response?

N.B:
Kingdom of Drachenwald of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
It is not a corporate publication of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. and does not delineate SCA policies.
In cases of conflict with printed versions of material presented on this page or its links, the dispute will be decided in favor of the printed version
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by omodada1: 5:45pm On Nov 20, 2007
how will i know am the best when i dont know the measure of screening. it might be a scam of my precious brain of writting. at least i cant see nor know what others have written. well, na to try cos i want to win that price for xmas.
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by penfold(m): 6:32pm On Nov 20, 2007
@oriki
    i am very much tempted to reply your last post in the same vein but i can see that it was made last week and since i'm just seeing it (i've been out of town), and you haven't made any other comment, i'll assume that particular post was made in ignorance. i'm not in the habit of making personal statements on the web and it will do us all a whole lot of good if you take the pains to read all the posts on this topic before forming an opinion or passing a comment. you mentioned ANA, am happy about that because it might interest you to know that intellectual banditry is something that particular body is trying to tackle right now and i believe that if there are questions that should be asked about the last competition, questions which have been proved to be genuine ones (judging from dipo's replies and explanations), questions which had actually been able to point out some real errors and had brought about a conscious effort at being better prepared on the part of the organizers, then nobody and i repeat nobody, no matter how highly they think of themselves or how well connected they believe they are, has a right to insult those whose minds have not been moulded in the line of conformists.
I don't want to go into name dropping or bragging, so i can only say that if indeed you wish to see any of my works (which you mentioned first by the way) for the purpose of this discourse, then you really need to be told that the atitude of "my father's farm is bigger than yours" does not befit adults.

Cheerio!!!
Re: Call For Poetry - Ipod Nano Give-away by Mustay(m): 10:39pm On Nov 20, 2007
I agree with SMC

next time; be explicit with ur details 'cos I know ow so much of us asked many questions during the last competition?

its quite a pity Nigerans find it hard 2 trust sad sad each other these days

(1) (Reply)

[story] Manager’s Villa (rated 18+)...part 8 / My Dirty Friend:episode 10 / Dangote`s Ten Commandments On Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.