Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Cost Of Making A Music Video? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Cost Of Making A Music Video? (49512 Views)

‘ugliest Woman In The World’ Is Making A Movie’ / Picture Of A Ghost Making A Phone Call In A Nollywood Movie / Cost Of Buying Air Time For A TV Show? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost Of Making A Music Video? by iyeyemi: 8:03pm On Nov 08, 2007
Cost Of Musical Video
Hi all. Does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to do a quality musical video?
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by teckzilla(m): 8:22am On Nov 14, 2007
If you have not less than 100k,you would definately get a good video, One
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Seun(m): 12:04pm On Nov 21, 2007
Really? Wow, tell us about it. I'd like to produce and direct a music video someday.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by iyeyemi: 12:15pm On Nov 21, 2007
Yeah teck like seun said, whats the lowdown are u a video producer or do you someone who is into that stuff?

Thanks in anticipation of your response
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by saucekid(m): 12:22pm On Nov 21, 2007
@ poster,
the things to consider are
1. the type of camera you want to use
2. the location settings
3. the video concept
4.the finance

if you've considered all these factors,then you're good to go
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Roadblock: 12:34pm On Nov 21, 2007
I am into audio and video recording, just like sauce kid said, you have to consider all those and also costumes, you should not use any camera other than the HDV camera. Insist on this as the tells on the picture quality.

I do not belive 100k or anything in that region is enough for you to shoot any good video.
Some of the videos you see on the T.V cost not less than 500k. If you must work with an experienced hand budget between 200 and 300.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by saucekid(m): 12:41pm On Nov 21, 2007
@ roadblock
because of the expenses,HDV is ok but if he had what it takes,35 mm will do the trick
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Roadblock: 12:47pm On Nov 21, 2007
true
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by reginol: 1:06pm On Nov 21, 2007
hey how much does it cost on the average to rent an hd camera and a 35mm? thnks!
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by saucekid(m): 1:20pm On Nov 21, 2007
to rent a HDV on the average is N120,000
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by youngdigi(m): 1:26pm On Nov 21, 2007
i like this topic, so i'm guessing when u rent the camera, do these same companies have cameramen dat can operate the cameras for prob an addiotional price?
also how much will an avergae music video director charge?
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by reginol: 1:30pm On Nov 21, 2007
hey sauce
thts 120,000 for 24hrs
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by crazyT(m): 1:31pm On Nov 21, 2007
saucekid:

@ roadblock
because of the expenses,HDV is ok but if he had what it takes,35 mm will do the trick

Shooting Nigerian video's on 35mm? Who are your target audience? The same peeps that watch Nigerian home movies right? That is what I call waste of money and raw materials.

The highest form of video making in Nigeria is still HDV, and it's not a must. The trick is not the camera but the one handling it. Give a HDV to an Owambe cameraman and an old Hi 8 to a pro; you'll be shocked seen how good Hi 8 could be used.

Back to the question, the cost of making a good music video depends on individual creative mind. It's starts from approximately 100k to as much as you want it. Just be creative that is what counts.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by reginol: 1:37pm On Nov 21, 2007
yea crazy t, but logostics still cost a fortune, u have to get ur lights rite, costume, dancers/model, location and all tht crap, a standard video (ie, a video tht will be good enuff 4 mtvbase) shuld cost from 300k and above.
do u know what a chroma is?
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Roadblock: 1:42pm On Nov 21, 2007
That is not correct, HD camera  goes for 15/20k in lagos, I saw a place in abuja where it goes for even 10k/day,
Mini Jeep goes for 30k/day
Crane: 70/100k per day
Chroma is good. the in thing now, and saves you trouble and cost. You can finish your video inside one room with chroma.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by reginol: 1:46pm On Nov 21, 2007
im sorry roadblock, but doesnt it depend on the type of hd?
and whts a minijeep,
how much does it take to rent a chroma?
sorry 4 the plenti, questions
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Seun(m): 1:51pm On Nov 21, 2007
to rent a HDV on the average is N120,000
Renting a HDV camera for a day shouldn't cost up to cost 120K. It should be maybe 10K to 30K. Can anyone else confirm this? Besides, HDV cameras come in many flavors. Some HDV cameras can be bought for that amount!

The highest form of video making in Nigeria is still HDV, and it's not a must.
I agree with you. Even a webcam will give you excellent video if the lighting is well planned. For music videos intended for DVD distribution or broadcast, a high-end DV camera is probably sufficient. But you'll need super lighting.

Shooting Nigerian video's on 35mm? Who are your target audience? The same peeps that watch Nigerian home movies right? That is what I call waste of money and raw materials.
Adverts shot on 35mm can look better than video, but that's just because of color grading. You can grade DV videos too.

That is not correct, HD camera goes for 15/20k in lagos, I saw a place in abuja where it goes for even 10k/day,
Mini Jeep goes for 30k/day
Crane: 70/100k per day
Chroma is good. the in thing now, and saves you trouble and cost. You can finish your video inside one room with chroma.
Wow, this is informative. What's "Chroma" and what's it used for? What's the mini jeep used for? Please educate us!
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Roadblock: 2:18pm On Nov 21, 2007
Why would you spend 120k to rent a camera for a day , meaning iof you are using it for five days ou will be spending over 500k. Then if I will be the one to shoot your video I will charge you 800k or more for the edditing and other services.

I still rented an Hd camera last week in Lagos, and it was 15 k, This is the same one that is used for all the videos you see on MTV base. and is the one you will get to see anywhere for rentage except in some places.
A mini Jeep is Just like a crane it takes ariel shots but not as high as a crane would do it . It also has the ability to zoom in and out in motion kind of manner.The zoom power too is powerful. it goes for about 30- 40k in abuja. not sure of lagos.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by saucekid(m): 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2007
inclusive of crane,maintenance
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Frankies(m): 4:20pm On Nov 21, 2007
To produce a quality video is not all about expenses, though for you to get a good work , money mus t be involved. In addition to the points rightly outlined by roadblock, I still include that the location matters. An aerial shot will make the video more fantastic. The camera matters too.The HDV camera is a good alternative except the cost. The last time I saw where it was used it was really costly. about 80k.

But with a good bargain and good planning, you can optimise the usage time to reduce the cost.

In a nutshell, for you to make a good video that will be customer friendly,budget 1m and expect any after-expenses balance.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by toluwalomo(m): 4:44pm On Nov 21, 2007
CrazyT hit the nail on the head, your concept determines your video.

Hell naw, you can shoot a resonable video with 100k, what you wanna use a camcorder?

My friend (name withheld) shot Mode 9's Nigerian Girls, Babara's Dangerous, Charly Boi's Ninja Bike, Dare's Fuji amongst others.These are premium quality videos, world-class.

If you serious about shooting that kind, holler!
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by krisbobo(m): 5:02pm On Nov 21, 2007
@poster

Pls read through the responses very carefully and you will notice those who actually have factual experience and those who are misinforming. there misinformation might not be intentional, so no malice

Crazt T gave the best advice: it's not the camera! dont ever shoot anything on 35mm right now in naija. for what? it does not guarantee any success. case in point. Jetta amata shot amazing grace on 35mm and decency will not let us say what sort of film it is. It cant even find international distribution, the reason why he shot 35mm in the 1st place.

120k camera? How?! How much is a Pd 170 or the other popular sony HDV? Not more than $4000. so?

Lights, screen and other stuff, plus stedicam self no too expensive to rent. If you know what u r doing you'll shoot mostlikely in 2-3days.

DJ Tee is probably the most popular guy in that area now and he does in the range of 800k-1m and so on but there are many others who can do very well too.

What you need the most, betond equipment, is a creative mind! all else is secondary.

@Roadblock

Thank for the info, largely true in lagos as in Abj. I dont have anything really to add except that peeps should also look for nice cinematographers, not just the director; he will be invaluable as far as picture is concerned.

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Seun(m): 6:09pm On Nov 21, 2007
120k camera? How?! How much is a Pd 170 or the other popular sony HDV? Not more than $4000. so?
The Canon HV20 sells for $800 - $900. That's less than 120k, and not even the cheapest.
You may want to argue that it's not a [b]professional [/b]camera, but that's
exactly what I meant when I said there are "many kinds of HDV cameras".
There are HDV cameras under $1000 and others over $10000. "HDV" is a broad category.

Once again, this is what I said:
Besides, HDV cameras come in many flavors. Some HDV cameras can be bought for that amount!
And it's 100% correct. wink by the way the PD170 is an old DV camera
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Panache(m): 6:32pm On Nov 21, 2007
I think HDV is the in thing now. Using a 35mm is a misplaced priority. YOu can easily rent an HDV camera for 10k a day. The shooting of the video is not as important as the cooking, saucing and baking of it. By the time, the video is cooked you won't believe how the environ will look. We just shot 2 videos for one of our artistes and it cost N250k and N800k respectively.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by krisbobo(m): 7:27pm On Nov 21, 2007
@Seun

Let me say this once and for all: unless I am absolutely sure about what i am saying, I keep quiet.

The canon you just quoted will not give you the braodcast quality that is needed for a high quality Music video. Yes, Pd 170 is a DV camera but it is still being well used because most people still shoot DV, even with HDV cameras! I am on set as we speak, directing a Tv series. We are shooting with a Sony HDV Z1E. You will have seen it before; it is quiet popular now and dem don dey take am record wedding sef.

Most of the videos you see are actualy shot in DV format even when using an HDV camera. this is so 'cos editing HD is still not very common and broadcast media in Nigeria is still very analog and DV is the best they mostly can do at the moment.

RMD's Whitewater Communications still uses Pd 170. He at least should know what he us doing, abi?

There a standard in broadcast quality material in the industry. While we are still not fully at the level of HD, we are also not at the level of $800 camcorders.

Fuji House of Commotion and Tempest are shot with an HDV camera but in DV format. I should know.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Seun(m): 8:08pm On Nov 21, 2007
The canon you just quoted will not give you the
broadcast quality that is needed for a high quality Music video.
You were wrong. Admit it and move on. You need to understand that I'm a technology geek. I may not know about cast and location management, but I know my bits and bytes. The video quality of a budget HDV camera (Canon HV20) is higher than the video quality of a professional DV camera. Professional HDV or DV cameras are better because they have more features and lend themselves better to manual operation, but regardless of that, HDV is HDV and DV is DV. "Broadcast quality" is a meaningless term. If you take properly lit 3CCD DV footage and denoise it, that's broadcast quality already. Technology is on our side these days.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by iyeyemi: 8:22pm On Nov 21, 2007
Wow, really did not think that my request would turn out this much info, its overwhelming.

This nairaland is loaded and i dont think it is receiving as much publicity as it deserves.(thats a tale for another thread i guess)

Though I think I have a faint idea about what the cost implication is now. Still wont mind more input though. And still would like to know more about CHROMA
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by krisbobo(m): 12:05am On Nov 22, 2007
@Seun

I wont keep at this with you. We will talk about this sometime soon and you will accept that that camcorder cannot give you what you need, especially when we dey talk Music videos or TV drama. E fit work if na TV programme we be say una dey interview a few people about and then do studio.

Abeg, that sitcom wey u dey plan, no take this camera shoot am o. na God i take beg u. Na true, I am not a technology geek, I work on the creative end,

@Iyeyemi

chroma is no biggie. Search for it in Wikipedia and you'll have all the info you need. Watch LTV closely; they use Chroma a lot. A blue or green material, often satin, will do the work.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by reginol: 9:12am On Nov 22, 2007
even tho i dont pretend to know much abt this subject, i suspect tht HD covers a wide range of cameras delivering also a wide range of picture quality.
the question is what type of HD camera is suitable 4 an mtvbase type video and how much does it cost? 4 instance has any1 seen the yahooze video? what kind of hd camera was it shot on?
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by teckzilla(m): 10:48am On Nov 22, 2007
Hey, i said not LESS then 100k i didnt say with 100k so there that go, one of my crew members is a promising video director and he works with the best at eko fm, so if ur wanna shoot someone tight, holla at the boy and I wud get u the hook-ups,

www.finceptstudio.be/blog

myspace.com/str8buttah
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by zPixel(m): 2:57pm On Nov 22, 2007
@Seun
What type of camera did you use for that picture? please give enough info.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Game Of Thrones Petition: Over 700, 000 Fans Want Season 8 Remade / Dstv Slashes Cost Of Subscription Across Africa, Plans Increase In Nigeria / BBNaija: Oge Iloh Blasts Ella & Kim For Exposing Tacha's Body Odour (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.