Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,249 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? (21186 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. / How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by TheShopKeeper(m): 3:27pm On Apr 26, 2012
If you go there with the right frame of mind, NYSC is good.
It affords you the opportunity of meeting and making long lasting friends and acquaintances.
As someone rightly pointed out, you don't know what the future holds or what position you may find yourself. One year is nothing, it flies away really fast that you sometimes wish another year can be added to the NYSC programme.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Redman44(m): 3:47pm On Apr 26, 2012
While I seriously believe the NYSC Program should be scrapped or modified, it remains a great opportunity to network with ambitious people and encounter new cultures. I served in Ondo State ( Akure )about six years ago and I enjoyed being part of the Nigerian Christian Corpers Fellowship ( NCCF ). As a NCCF Member, I was able to visit the inner villages and hamlets of Ondo State on evangelism (Rural Rugged ) activities. I also discovered new places in the State and made good friends. I did not not enjoy the service year in many other ways too. I was not paid at my place of Primary Assignment ( National Commission for Museums and Monuments, Akure )and I hardly did anything at the place. I just collected my Monthly Letter from them that enabled me to get my NYSC allowance. It was a frustrating experience. The good thing was that I spent most of my time at the National Library in Akure reading about places all over the World. It was while serving that I plotted my way out of Nigeria and I am happy where I am now. So use the NYSC Scheme to reach for the stars. Cheers.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by yuzedo: 4:16pm On Apr 26, 2012
I forgot to add:
6. If u are handsome/fine and ur NYSC uniform is well-fitted and sexy, people will dash u money, buses and cars will stop for u to cross the road, etc. But if u are in mufti, u r just another bleeping nigerian! grin Talk-less if u are a worwor corper with ugly, dirty, ill-fitted nysc uniform, motorists will splash mud on yo azz, and okada will tear urr cloth! grin
7. You are para-military (espirit de corps) so u cannot be booked for minor offenses. I will expatiate.
When i was serving, i beat the traffic light at maryland on my way back from a lecture. Na so lastma just jump out wan obtain bros. Being a Proud Corper wink i calmed the Bleep down and politely insisted that the modafocking light changed when i was slowing down. of course i refused to let them in, and of course i remained calm and polite. Until they felt i was a maga, i just matter-of-factly told them i am a corper coming back from ALAUSA where i am returning on duty and i just wanted to return my brother's car i was driving and pick up my own. you shoulda seen his crest-fallen face when i mentioned corper. in a last-ditch effort he asked for my id which i confidently whipped out. sad man asked me to go! grin Now if to say i be bloody civilian, could i have taken such liberties?? Bleep no!
8. Corpers earn free 19,800 every month!!!! we got only N9,800 gaddemit! infact i dey vex! angry
9. FREE PUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Federal & State punny. (oh, i've already mentioned that! grin )
10. Corpers don't need visa to travel. Just buy ticket (as long as it is onitsha, benin, etc u are going to). . tongue wink
NYSC RULEZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!! kiss kiss kiss I miss my service year yo! cry
Shout-out to all the girls i pressed their bre@sts for free and promised to buy them sharwama!!! Hola atchur boi @yuzedo77 tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by cyril83(m): 4:27pm On Apr 26, 2012
igbo2011: I am thinking about doing it but I am not sure. Is it a waste of time? I want to work in Nigeria and do a business related field. Do you think it is a good idea to do NYSC or should I just start a business?

If anyone has done iti n the past, is it worth it? Is it fun? Do you make life long friends?
if u don't want to do it then try to exempt coz u r goin to need di certificate someday..take it
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by missagbaa(f): 4:31pm On Apr 26, 2012
NYSC,Iڪ not worth τ̣̣ђё stress abeg,τ̣̣ђё certificate Iڪ just an added property.D̶̲̥̅̊Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ a survey aπϑ Ɣ☺ΰ‎​​ 'll find out dat even with Ÿ̲Ơ̴̴̴̴͡uя NYSC, Ɣ☺ΰ‎​​ get a job that's paying Ɣ☺ΰ‎​​ peanuts, aπϑ Ɣ☺ΰ‎​​ 'll still find out dat most firms employ pple with aΠΘ certs,who they'll underpay,so wats τ̣̣ђё strees worth,@ op,if Ɣ☺ΰ‎​​ ® never going †☺ venture into politics or be a civil servant, abeg forget A̶̲̥̅♏,if Ɣ☺ΰ‎​​ ® ,then Ɣ☺ΰ‎​​ better run †☺ camp aπϑ serve Ÿ̲Ơ̴̴̴̴͡uя fatherland or Ɣ☺ΰ‎​​ just go for τ̣̣ђё experience aπϑ meet other pple though. For ‎​♍Ε it was a waste of a whole year.i no know where ♍Ɣ discharge cert D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ sef №ω
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by cyril83(m): 4:32pm On Apr 26, 2012
yuzedo: I forgot to add:
6. If u are handsome/fine and ur NYSC uniform is well-fitted and sexy, people will dash u money, buses and cars will stop for u to cross the road, etc. But if u are in mufti, u r just another bleeping nigerian! grin Talk-less if u are a worwor corper with ugly, dirty, ill-fitted nysc uniform, motorists will splash mud on yo azz, and okada will tear urr cloth! grin
7. You are para-military (espirit de corps) so u cannot be booked for minor offenses. I will expatiate.
When i was serving, i beat the traffic light at maryland on my way back from a lecture. Na so lastma just jump out wan obtain bros. Being a Proud Corper wink i calmed the Bleep down and politely insisted that the modafocking light changed when i was slowing down. of course i refused to let them in, and of course i remained calm and polite. Until they felt i was a maga, i just matter-of-factly told them i am a corper coming back from ALAUSA where i am returning on duty and i just wanted to return my brother's car i was driving and pick up my own. you shoulda seen his crest-fallen face when i mentioned corper. in a last-ditch effort he asked for my id which i confidently whipped out. sad man asked me to go! grin Now if to say i be bloody civilian, could i have taken such liberties?? Bleep no!
8. Corpers earn free 19,800 every month!!!! we got only N9,800 gaddemit! infact i dey vex! angry
9. FREE PUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Federal & State punny. (oh, i've already mentioned that! grin )
10. Corpers don't need visa to travel. Just buy ticket (as long as it is onitsha, benin, etc u are going to). . tongue wink
Shout-out to all the girls i pressed their bre@sts for free and promised to buy them sharwama!!! Hola atchur boi @yuzedo77 tongue tongue tongue
who be diz sef....dnt knw why seun is allowing riffraffs in diz room
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by yuzedo: 5:03pm On Apr 26, 2012
^^^^ Sir, I can't be bothered by your inane comment, so i won't get mad. Obviously you have plenty problems to think of bro, sorry for compounding them. If you want sanity, go to LinkedIn, or build your own website and only you and your family can be members. . Lol! But on the level, it'd be much easier if you just got a sense of humor. Cheers! wink

1 Like

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 26, 2012
Hmmmm I guess its different strokes for different folks.
But seriously NYSC with its many challenges has taught me a lot.
I am glad I am serving my fathers land, not because it has been a bed of roses but because I have learnt, and am still learning.
Its a test ground where I can understand peoples attitudes in a work environment, react to situation, and learn from other peoples perspective of life.
@op if u love challenges then NYSC is one damn challenging year.
I have met and interacted with people I wouldn't have known on a. Normal day.
Please don't be ill advised. U must set ür priorities straight. its called a year of service, to your fatherland, if that's not what u wanna do, then don't come here. Its really gonna be a waste of time.

To all my fellow Corp members the journey is almost over.
To those who have served before, I doff my heart in respect.
And for those who will be coming behind, I say brace ür self for the bitter sweet experience.

But wait a minute, what is it that you would have. Achieved in one year if u had not gone for NYSC. (for those who consider it a waste, I really wonder how long some. People take one year to be... Hmmmmm) no offense though.
Over all create a value for your self in your immediate environment, and believe in ür abilities. You never can tell what u will discover.
Wish u all the best.
Omo ogun iseya...........
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Bright2(m): 8:34pm On Apr 26, 2012
Jst embrace it cos we have 2 ways of serving,the one way & the other way! Chose 1 of the ways.If u serve your papa land tell me why woun't God bless.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by RiffRaff: 8:53pm On Apr 26, 2012
To be honest with u it is a big waste of time... m currently serving now and if i could turn back time i wouldnt have wasted my precious time on this rubbish.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by cyril83(m): 10:00pm On Apr 26, 2012
Kingsleyinfo: Hmmmm I guess its different strokes for different folks.
But seriously NYSC with its many challenges has taught me a lot.
I am glad I am serving my fathers land, not because it has been a bed of roses but because I have learnt, and am still learning.
Its a test ground where I can understand peoples attitudes in a work environment, react to situation, and learn from other peoples perspective of life.
@op if u love challenges then NYSC is one damn challenging year.
I have met and interacted with people I wouldn't have known on a. Normal day.
Please don't be ill advised. U must set ür priorities straight. its called a year of service, to your fatherland, if that's not what u wanna do, then don't come here. Its really gonna be a waste of time.

To all my fellow Corp members the journey is almost over.
To those who have served before, I doff my heart in respect.
And for those who will be coming behind, I say brace ür self for the bitter sweet experience.

But wait a minute, what is it that you would have. Achieved in one year if u had not gone for NYSC. (for those who consider it a waste, I really wonder how long some. People take one year to be... Hmmmmm) no offense though.
Over all create a value for your self in your immediate environment, and believe in ür abilities. You never can tell what u will discover.
Wish u all the best.
Omo ogun iseya...........
bravo!.....tanks for di gospel truth...really love that
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by cyril83(m): 10:20pm On Apr 26, 2012
[quote author=yuzedo]^^^^ Sir, I can't be bothered by your inane comment, so i won't get mad. Obviously you have plenty problems to think of bro, sorry for compounding them. If you want sanity, go to LinkedIn, or build your own website and only you and your family can be members. . Lol! But on the level, it'd be much easier if you just got a sense of humor. Cheers! wink...
I dnt tink u r a graduate coz I wonder y ur misspelling and pa ajirebi grammar is all over di screen
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by zaboy: 11:11pm On Apr 26, 2012
i think you shld do it. The main idea behind NYSC is exposure.
Nigerians dont really explore...Northerners dont know much about the south, and southerners dont know much about the North apart from what we read in the papers, which are mostly subjective! and inaccurate.
Look at it as an opportunity to see things for yourself and make up your own conclusions rather than relying on the newspapers who themselves rely on rumors or imaginations!
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Wordsmith(m): 11:54pm On Apr 26, 2012
I'm currently serving (Ogun) and for the most part, it's a waste of time, not with the new idiotic policy put in place by the FG to put 90% of corpers whether you studied petroleum engineering, computer science or geology in schools to be teaching, and the rest in farms or ministry, and hospitals (for the medical doctors). If you have plans beforehand, it's best you manage your plans and time around your NYSC period to make the most of it. And if you're the happy-go-lucky, ah well. . . . .you might as well make new friends and all would be right in Teletubbie land *shrugs*
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by psalm201: 5:37am On Apr 27, 2012
[size=16pt]Its worth doing. You'll get to meet new friends, and most importantly have a year to plan your next move.[/size]
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by ekeroyal(m): 5:53am On Apr 27, 2012
NOw there's no better way to meet a down to earth MAD MAN in NL grin grin grin grin grin grin

yuzedo: NOT do NYSC shocked
Me wey wan do service again sef!
The only frustrating period is registration when camp starts, once you settle in, you are good to go, good to go, good to go! cool
Let me tell you what i gained from NYSC:
1. Army connections. One of the soldiers is now a bonafide brother even though he is way older with a family and always on peace-keeping missions, he has my back any time. Confirmed!
2. Punny (Lots of punny) Everybody wants punny. Don't u want punny? grin wink tongue
3. Friends: I'm not talking fair-weather friends or acquaintances. Genuine buddies that've got ur back, real solid connects and people that give you laughs for DAYSSSSS!!! kiss
4. Experience: My one year was wonderful. I learned a lot, positive and negative. Working for INEC during the elections, my place of primary assignment (Sucked but i thank God it did because it toughened me up, showed me how bad things can be, gave me focus on goals, and prepared my mind to understand and appreciate how good the future would be). .
5. My current job was facilitated by a friend i met during my service year. I don't need to mouth-off on the World Wide Web, lets just say i thank God cos in giving Him the glory i acknowledge that only the truly blessed can snag fantastic jobs with perks and prospects like this with no extra qualification to a B.Sc.
Uncle leave story, NYSC is THE year i tellya! I hated my PPA but always looked forward to CDS to wear my khakis and go an faff around at the LG with fellow corpers. I can't describe how enjoyable the whole year from start to finish was. Would definitely do it again if given the chance!
yuzedo: I forgot to add:

Can't stop laughing. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Well am scared of even coming to Naija in the first place (if only my brothers will ask for their people before they start bombing ), not to say NYSC. But my uncle has warned me to come & suffer now or suffer when I don't imagine. (My Dad says don't do any shit boy). Am confused! But am like a Lone Ranger (Wenger kind of person) Just "Keep attacking", your opponents will end up defending & never attacking and even if they do VM5.0(Dad) will cover up, lol. I think I found something that would help other "OTONDOS"([s]don't know where the cow got that name for foreign trained geeks[/s]) like me.

Check it out here:

http://otondo2016..in/

Oh hell before I forget, is it possible to be serving with your wife? lipsrsealed Pls I need people with experience to help out here, it's not funny.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Hemanwel(m): 7:41am On Apr 27, 2012
A potential corper here(waitin 4 july batch).afta readin all d coments,i nw undastand wot it means 2 serve..i luv d responses.
igbo2011: I am thinking about doing it but I am not sure. Is it a waste of time? I want to work in Nigeria and do a business related field. Do you think it is a good idea to do NYSC or should I just start a business?

If anyone has done iti n the past, is it worth it? Is it fun? Do you make life long friends?
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by timpaker(m): 12:52pm On Apr 27, 2012
@op. NYSC is worth doing dude, I remember my camping days in Nassarawa camp, it was fun to the bone cool cool cool(i wish i could rewind time, but God forbid!) lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
I met a lot of people there(especially well connected chicks and dudes), one of them helped me redeployed to Abuja where i got a nice PPA. I never relied on their useless 'allowee' as i was well paid by my PPA cool cool cool(all the money went for flexing et al) tongue. I also learnt the way things are in Nigeria (pls don't ask me what i learnt) wink wink. it is a swift and fun experience (depending on your state of deployment) that i'd urge you to try. i believe everyone here has/had one or two memorable experience(s) during their NYSC days. same as me.

Note: if everyone here have tried it and are giving their respective experiences and advises, why not try it too and one day comment on a post like this on your experiences too.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by ruffbob(m): 1:18pm On Apr 27, 2012
Please i would like to have suggestion on if as worker under the federal civil service if it still neccessary for my to go for NYSC after completing on HND programme as i see that one year as a time to go for my PGD.

pls suggestions are highly appreciated.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by 2sexy(m): 6:24pm On Apr 27, 2012
In my own case, I know it's the year to make all the money I can make.

I got knowledge people will pay me for. I got skills people will pay me for. Talk about using my internet marketing knowledge to help businesses, I would help take their business online and help market their services on the internet as well.

I believe I will help a few corpers with what I know so that they too can make money during my days when I grad. this year as I write my final exam in July.

The best part is that I don't care where they post me (but not to the village of Boko boys o o o), I'will make money whenever I want. I don't care how much I will be paid as a corper, but I know I will earn more than most corpers.

What you learn determines what you earn.

I already have my plans and goals set and I will execute them right from the day I write my last paper.

My NYSC will be GREAT!

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by LeJeun3: 7:43pm On Apr 27, 2012
OmawumiMegbele: [size=16pt]Service to the Nation. May end up teaching (over 80%), but that is not the problem (at least someone taught u, though u paid for it). The prob is people who dont serve and still have the cert, the accomadation they'll promise but never give, the 2500naira they will give someone travelling from lagos to maiduguri (as well as lagos to ibadan). The rejection letter they'll give, the number of people serving in cyber cafe, or whose ppa is in their parents house, etc.

When you take this an weigh it against the certifications u can obtain in 11 months, the aptitudes you can write, the masters you can pursue,etc

On NYSC side, u'll get 19800 per month, free white tshirt (wear once, use as rag after cos it'll tear), a white canvas, etc, fyne guys and gals u'll meet (or wo-wo depending on the state of deployment), network u'll build for future

Then you can decide for yourself
[/size]

U've said it! D scam part is my problem, there's lots of fun. But who bears d scam part?
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by fubbyy(m): 8:29pm On Apr 27, 2012
Experience , experience , experience , that's the reason I did all I did in school just to be experienced and that's the reason am going to serv in july just to be experienced, everybody Here telling you how rubbish it is are talking from experience,so why can't you have the experience so you can tell the upcomers how rubbish it is,more over where am coming from , if you said you are a graduate and they never saw you with nysc outfit for one day,you be moi moi for their eyes, my dad values nysc uniform more than matriculation or convocation gown. Bro you have to do it .
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by s3nn2x(m): 10:10pm On Apr 27, 2012
I think NYSC experiences depends on the person involved. The way u feel is mostly a thing of the mind. I was posted to a place called Ofoni in Sagbama LGA of Bayelsa where there was no portable water supply, g.s.m network (only accessible with the use of an outdoor antennae) and access road, it is can only be accessed by water, i was posted to a school to teach, at first the corps members did not like it, but later on, we got to like it. We met a lot of people and impacted the lives of the students and the community as a whole. The voters registration and election gave us the opportunity to serve our fatherland and be able to impact the lives of the people. It has been over a year that i rounded from servicee, but i still misss the place like mad. If you are a fun person, we had everything there. I think people go into NYSC with the wrong intention, it should be morre of what u can do for ur country not what ur country can do for u. N.b i grew up in Lagos and schooled in Abuja, so it was more of an adventure. If i was using a pc i would have posted some rural picutures.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by HerRoyalSexy(f): 10:39pm On Apr 27, 2012
ShiftControlAlt:

I can't believe you just said that. Anyways NYSC is not about you it's about your service to fatherland. Even when your country's leaders are messing up, you can show that you can make a difference and be a source of inspiration to many village kids who are hoping to one day become useful to themselves. That said, NYSC members have been a source of community development in many places they served. During my NYSC days, a corper renovated an Ambulance that had not been in use for more than 3 years, another one provided 3 wheel chairs and donated textbooks to a school, one built a school library, another brought 300 mosquito nets. All these people did not consider NYSC a waste of time so why should you?

But NYSC is stressful sha especially if you are an Ajebutter.
forget all dos things u just said! D truth is NYSC is not worth doing,it's a bloody waste of time. Do you know the real reason why the programme was initiated has lost its essence. Let me cast your mind back,after the nigerian civil war,there was an urgent need for reconstruction cos the country had been further divided and characterized by ethnic loyalty,mutual group suspicion and distrust.They was a need to unite Nigerians again and thus the scheme NYSC was introduced as one of the solutions. The question is are we now united?don't we see even here on social site tribal debates et all? Killing of corps members? I say its absolutely of time and the only thing keeping it alive is d selfish interests of those gaining from it!!!
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by HerRoyalSexy(f): 10:57pm On Apr 27, 2012
D purpose of d scheme is primarily to inculcate in Nigerian youths the spirit of selfle ;Dss service to d community, emphasize the spirit of oneness and brotherhood of all Nigerians irrespective of cultural or social background,to develop common ties among the nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration. Has the scheme able to achive dis The answer is no! Rather killings of corps members,suffering by corps members. D only reason why d scheme is still in operation is cos of those gaining from it. I am serving presently and avnt been paid 4months allowEe! Ethnic loyalty is still so deep even among youths and dey display it even here on social sites. NYSC was meant to be a tool for reconstructing the country after the civil war and it has failed woefully! So let dem just scrap the crap grin (now dats rhymes). Lol
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by chidike(m): 1:21am On Apr 28, 2012
Total waste of time! i regret working my service to my place of residence (maybe this is part of the reason i think its a waste of time). Worked my posting too to a polytechnic which is like the best posting you can get (since we were all sent to schools and ministries). But still i hate it. Granted, i don'( pay for food, accomodation and sometimes transport. But its just bloody boring. i'm supposed to be lecturing in the poly, i'm yet to start though, right now they send me to go and buy razor, chewing gum, recharge card, make photocopies and type documents (you know all those lazy old women in govt offices shey?). The only fun thing about NYSC was the camp experience. i guess if i had worked it to another state i would have enjoyed the fredoom of my service year. Right now, i've discussed wit the top guys at my place of primary assignment, they're letting me go, i'll be coming back for clearance at the end of the month. Ii'm off to Lagos to get a job and enjoy my service year.!
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Shokoloko(f): 5:21pm On Apr 28, 2012
do it. no matter what experience you get during the 'NYSC, you get hardened, tougher and you become a bonafide hustler. be brave
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by kinguwem: 11:45am On Apr 29, 2012
The NYSC is a good programme that has been abused by public servants, politicians and enterpreneurs. Recently, the insecurity in several parts of the country is a major problem. I served in Baissa, kurmi L.G.A. as a NYSC Doctor. I was the officer in charge of the newly established Cottage Hospital. I had a nice time there. After my service year, I was employed by the Taraba State Health Services Management Board as a medical officer. I subsequently did transfer of service to the Federal Medical Centre, Jalingo. However, not everybody is lucky to get a job immediately after service. The other problem is discrimination against corpers. Usually, employers refuse to pay corpers their due allowances. Sometimes they are not given decent accommodation and they are exposed to sexual abuse. Recently, corpers have been kidnapped. With the volatile political situation in which some corpers were killed in the north, the issue of security should be considered seriously before accepting to serve in such areas. Finally, the NYSC offers an opportunity for socio-economic, cultural and political links for the youths.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by kinguwem: 11:48am On Apr 29, 2012
The NYSC is a good programme that has been abused by public servants, politicians and enterpreneurs. Recently, the insecurity in several parts of the country is a major problem. I served in Baissa, kurmi L.G.A. as a NYSC Doctor. I was the officer in charge of the newly established Cottage Hospital. I had a nice time there. After my service year, I was employed by the Taraba State Health Services Management Board as a medical officer. I subsequently did transfer of service to the Federal Medical Centre, Jalingo. However, not everybody is lucky to get a job immediately after service. The other problem is discrimination against corpers. Usually, employers refuse to pay corpers their due allowances. Sometimes they are not given decent accommodation and they are exposed to sexual abuse. Recently, corpers have been kidnapped. With the volatile political situation in which some corpers were killed in the north, the issue of security should be considered seriously before accepting to serve in such areas. Finally, the NYSC offers an opportunity for socio-economic, cultural and political linkage for the youths.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by canadianlove(m): 12:59pm On Apr 29, 2012
Pls when is batch b 2011 passing out parade? my cousin cant wait to finish. sje don tire..lol.is it,june 7, 2012 ?
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by PrettyCindy(f): 3:00pm On Apr 29, 2012
I did my service in Takum, Taraba state and served as a lecturer in their School of Health Technology. Honestly speaking i enjoyed my service year cos there were some goodies like sales of personal lecture handouts (lol), the school paid us 3k monthly, the state also paid 11k +(medical profession),my landlord gave me a big land to farm on so i had my own farm where i grew pumpkin, tomatoe, curry, water leaf, corn, okro, millet, green vegetable (i paid one village boy #250 to weed the farm and form ridges for me but i did the planting myself). I so much enjoyed the pumpkin that i had to take the seed home to my mum for planting. I ate lots and lots of okro soup cos they were much and more there was a mango tree, locust bean tree and guava tree at the back of my house that belonged to my landlord who fortunately for me wasn't living in the quarters. He even gave us (+my flat mate) new mosquitoe nets each. A family man who lived beside us connected generator light to our flat and never asked for a penny for fuel although there was light most of the time and the weather condition in the village was really nice. The chairman of the local government area who lived opposite our quarters allowed us to fetch water freely. I also had a dvd laptop which really helped drive away the boredom. I enjoyed my service to the fullest and i must say that if you serve in a village, you save money cos there is really nothing to buy except food.
So poster if you have a laptop or dvd laptop, novels (lots of it), games (like ludo, scrabble, chess etc), go with them cos they will come in handy. You talked about long life friends; hmn well it all depends on you and your ability to make nice friends.
Also it will afford you the opportunity to be closer to your maker.
I believe the major reason i enjoyed my service is because i lectured what i learnt in the university, i mean it was my field of study.

One bad thing about the village is that their rats have immunity against otapiapia, indocid and all other kind of rat poisons. You go fear rat now.

You can make your service year fun and you can also make it boring, it all depends on you.
Re: Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? by Omofranca(f): 7:32pm On Apr 29, 2012
hardleyC: Life long friends?

Well,the father of my handsome baby who today is my husband....

i met him during NYSC in Bomadi,Delta State '08.

Me too! One of the 'dividends' of NYSC for me was meeting my life partner. In Kano, thankfully long before this Boko Haram madness; it's normally an interesting experience to serve in a place with a different culture from yours. Today however, it is sad that you have to make sure your safety will be guaranteed before you accept any deployment.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Corpers Bemoan Living Conditions In Camps (pix) / NYSC Announces New Date For 2018 Batch 'A' Orientation Course / A Corper Had An Accident Few Hours To His Pop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.