Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,885 members, 7,956,341 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:19 AM

YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees (15356 Views)

NUC: List Of Illegal Degree Awarding Institutions Operating In Nigeria / Agbami 2014 Has Started Awarding / List Of Illegal Degree Awarding Institutions Operating In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by JessD(f): 1:05pm On Apr 25, 2012
Dr Mas’udu Kazaure, Executive Secretary, National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), said that arrangements had been concluded for the conversion of two Federal Polytechnics to full degree awarding institutions.

Kazaure, who said this on Tuesday in a telephone interview, identified the polytechnics to include the Yaba College of Technology, (YABATECH) and Kaduna Polytechnic (KADPOLY).

He said that the reports and recommendations by the committee set up to handle the conversion exercise were ready. ``The Ministry of Education is taking a final look at the reports and has started working on it and we are waiting for the smooth and successful takeoff of these two Universities of Technology. ``You know that government had also been busy with the establishment of some new universities spread across the country, all in a bid to create more access to our teeming school leavers. ``The committee has done a good job, taking into consideration issues such as staff training and upgrading of facilities that would befit the status of the universities``, he said.

Kazaure noted that as soon as all the recommendations were put in place, the Universities of Technology would take off. He disclosed that henceforth, the board would no longer accredit any newly introduced course in Polytechnics and Monotechnics that would not contribute to industrial growth for the purpose of national development.

``We are taking issues of technological advancement seriously and because we are basically dealing with the development of industrial manpower, we would lay emphasis on courses the nation can directly benefit from``, he said.

The approval for the conversion of the two polytechnics was given by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) in 2007.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/284-breaking-news/36529-two-federal-polytechnics-to-start-awarding-degrees
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by Ournaija: 4:21pm On Apr 25, 2012
This is not the first time we are hearing this. It started since the days of Obasanjo. I still wonder why they are playing politics on the conversion of this schools. Shior
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by bsalva(m): 4:25pm On Apr 25, 2012
Na Today.
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by sonyjacobs(m): 4:28pm On Apr 25, 2012
e don tay wey we dey hear d news. Wat about auchi polytechnic?
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by adetunrayo(f): 4:36pm On Apr 25, 2012
I hope they do. My set was hopin to benefit, but unfortunately............
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by chemberlin(m): 4:55pm On Apr 25, 2012
Let them continue decieving their ground daughter and generation to come, all in the name of collecting money.....we don't care anymore...
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by GboyegaD(m): 4:59pm On Apr 25, 2012
Na today?
Truthfully, what I think they should be thinking of is how to improve the curriculum of both our universities and polytechnics to compete with those of the developed countries.
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by norame(f): 5:22pm On Apr 25, 2012
Wow, thats great...i like that. i pray they wil also do it in my school.
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by stillme(m): 5:47pm On Apr 25, 2012
adetunrayo: I hope they do. My set was hopin to benefit, but unfortunately............
.............is too late
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by KenStranger(m): 7:20pm On Apr 25, 2012
True talk i beg, what are they still doing about HND and Degree issue, some ministries deh place degree for level 8 while hnd for level 7 na to upgrade poly to uni na im deh worry them, FEC ko FEC ni, abeg dem go come meet us. 'no matter how high a stone is thrown up, its final destination is the ground. We deh look oh.
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by mygsmnairacom(m): 7:44pm On Apr 25, 2012
I believe this is a positive development. Next up - accreditation issues.

In the next three months, I'll no longer be giving you cash; instead, I'll teach you how to fish https://www.nairaland.com/923056/smart-ways-reduce-extended-family
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by MSItachi: 9:06pm On Apr 25, 2012
Even me was hoping too,.... Set 2002
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by sinachiman: 11:00pm On Apr 25, 2012
Who cares how many degree did obj atiku dangote got it is because of laziness self reliant z d ultimate whether bsc btech or hnd nd or nce use your head
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by ecel: 11:38pm On Apr 25, 2012
I'm still waiting for the time for our institutions to start awarding certificates in Bricklaying, Shoe Making, Fashion Designing etc. These are the real pillars of emerging economy. If Nigeria put more human and financial resources into these class of profession to bring out quality working men/women rather than graduating thousands of kidnappers and prostitutes every year without planned future. My opinion has been for the government to bring back technical education and start awarding certificates in various courses in these class of economy. Unless we change, I don't see Nigeria among developing nations in the next 50 years.

2 Likes

Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by Meristem: 3:54am On Apr 26, 2012
[size=13pt]Na today?[/size] Adam was still a toddler when I started hearing this nons.ense
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by kaysy(m): 6:23am On Apr 26, 2012
Accreditation Exercise just concluded in the campus some days ago, guess this next set of HND Application would be the last HND form to be on air... Yabatech Lets go there!
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by ibrash600: 7:06am On Apr 26, 2012
mtcheeew....... Na 2day dem dy talk am, make dem continue decievin gr8 grand father.....non sense
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by gsmgold: 9:23am On Apr 26, 2012
GboyegaD: Na today?
Truthfully, what I think they should be thinking of is how to improve the curriculum of both our universities and polytechnics to compete with those of the developed countries.
Good talk
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by AjanleKoko: 10:19am On Apr 26, 2012
Good one, if they finally see it through. Yabatech is one of the few quality schools we have in Nigeria.
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by saydfact(m): 11:58am On Apr 26, 2012
NIGERIANS, we dont know what we want...at -all, at-all........ first they award them, then they revoke am..now dem dey chew am for mouth again.... LOL..anoda child's play.
lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by quickberry(m): 12:49pm On Apr 26, 2012
passing-by
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by Aivoyin(f): 2:35pm On Apr 26, 2012
i can belive dis dats how we've hearing dis since dis days
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by freakcin: 4:24pm On Apr 26, 2012
Of what use will upgrading YABA TECH to a degree awarding institution be? The numerous uni(s) aren't enough? Do people even know the importance of technicians and technologists

The so-called graduates sef, wetin dem sabi Its high time we place emphasis on the quality of education and not the type of certificate awarded. Btw, the institution is only meant to develop the innate skills embeded in you. The key word here is you and what you decide to make of your life.
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by Isiterere(m): 9:08pm On Apr 26, 2012
this is a stale news and very disturbing,act now,and let see,
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by kaysy(m): 7:12am On Apr 27, 2012
freakcin: Of what use will upgrading YABA TECH to a degree awarding institution be? The numerous uni(s) aren't enough? Do people even know the importance of technicians and technologists

The so-called graduates sef, wetin dem sabi Its high time we place emphasis on the quality of education and not the type of certificate awarded. Btw, the institution is only meant to develop the innate skills embeded in you. The key word here is you and what you decide to make of your life.

Why are some set of people so scared about Yabatech being converted to University?
The quality of a LOWER CREDIT Graduate from Yabatech alone can beat any uni graduate in this country

Definitely we'r the first and still the best... Just wait till the conversion is complete then u'l see hell
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by duke2000: 9:48am On Apr 27, 2012
ecel: I'm still waiting for the time for our institutions to start awarding certificates in Bricklaying, Shoe Making, Fashion Designing etc. These are the real pillars of emerging economy. If Nigeria put more human and financial resources into these class of profession to bring out quality working men/women rather than graduating thousands of kidnappers and prostitutes every year without planned future. My opinion has been for the government to bring back technical education and start awarding certificates in various courses in these class of economy. Unless we change, I don't see Nigeria among developing nations in the next 50 years.

I have always maintained this position that education policy makers are getting it wrong in de-emphasizing vocational and technical education. With too many "high level" degree certificate holders looking for white collar job, more and more are being churned out. The polytechnics have critical roles to play in technology development. There is a serious shortage of low and medium level manpower which the Polys can supply. They only need to address a few concerns:

1. review the curriculum for HND and stop the discrimination in public service.

2. polytechnics should be allowed to offer degree programmes as well, provided they pass NUC accreditation. Abroad many colleges and polys are allowed to do so

3. create a academic progression path and ease of conversions for ambitious students.

4. emphasize quality, ability and skills instead of paper qualifications

5. Fund all technical schools and Polytechnics adequately.

1 Like

Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by FILEBE(m): 5:10pm On Apr 27, 2012
Oh! oh! Wetin sef? Y al dis stale gist? Na today government don dy talk? If dem want to DO let dem DO and stop telin us bulshyeet!
Re: YABATECH & Kaduna Polytechnic To Start Awarding Degrees by adewhales: 7:01pm On Apr 27, 2012
schooling is not the paramount issue, the issue is securing a lucrative job. creation of institution is not as important as raising the standard of teaching in nigeria. pls address this defficincies as well.

(1) (Reply)

EKSU Finally Produces First Set Of Medical Students / 10-Hour Lecture In Engineering Course In AKSU Ahead Of Degree Exams / UNILAG Ordered To Close All Its Accounts In Commercial Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.