Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

Interview Question. Why Do Engineers Study Dy/dx? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Interview Question. Why Do Engineers Study Dy/dx? (1687 Views)

How To Answer The Interview Question: ‘what Is Your Salary Expectation?’ / ?interview Question: "Why Should We Employ You?" / Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interview Question. Why Do Engineers Study Dy/dx? by oremisussan: 1:40pm On Apr 26, 2012
I was dazed when an interviewer asked this question at an interview I attended some days back. I did flop, I knew. So, I posted this discussion on a Nigerian engineers forum and was dazed by some mind blowing responses I got. In two sentences, you tell why Engineers study dy/dx. You may want to see answers to this question proffered by practicing engineers http://go.engineer-ng.net/forum/topics/why-do-nigeria-engineers-study-dy-dx-nigeria-engineering?xg_source=activity. Drop your response on this thread and maybe there.
Re: Interview Question. Why Do Engineers Study Dy/dx? by ishmael(m): 3:09pm On Apr 26, 2012
I'm not an Engineer, i am a Statistician. In statistics it enables you to know or study the rate of change of variables or quantities compared with other variables or quantities. I believe it is the same for Engineering.
Re: Interview Question. Why Do Engineers Study Dy/dx? by nitrogen(m): 3:07pm On Apr 28, 2012
ishmael: I'm not an Engineer, i am a Statistician. In statistics it enables you to know or study the rate of change of variables or quantities compared with other variables or quantities. I believe it is the same for Engineering.
Right.
To determine the change in a variable with respect to the other variable.
Re: Interview Question. Why Do Engineers Study Dy/dx? by OdunetLbs: 2:42pm On Apr 29, 2012
Dy/dx (differential calculus)...is a branch of math that studies how one variable changes w.r.t another...it has vast appl in engineering e.g in a problem invovling finding the cetriod of a large irregular suface or the effect of wind on the entire span of a suspension bridge, u could easily pick a differential element(infinitesimal portion) of the large surface/bridge span...then you could easily solve this problem for d infinitesimal portion (dy/dy)...the solution could then be integrated to get the solution for the entire material...
Often, the equations that are use to solve the differential element(infinitesimal portion) of the problem are called models and are therefore used to predict/study relationships; over larger areas, over larger period of time, etc...and thus u have the popular "modelling" term used in engineering.

I hope I'm right...lol

oremisussan: I was dazed when an interviewer asked this question at an interview I attended some days back. I did flop, I knew. So, I posted this discussion on a Nigerian engineers forum and was dazed by some mind blowing responses I got. In two sentences, you tell why Engineers study dy/dx. You may want to see answers to this question proffered by practicing engineers http://go.engineer-ng.net/forum/topics/why-do-nigeria-engineers-study-dy-dx-nigeria-engineering?xg_source=activity. Drop your response on this thread and maybe there.

2 Likes

Re: Interview Question. Why Do Engineers Study Dy/dx? by Nobody: 11:07am On Apr 30, 2012
Engineers study dy/dx so dat if they encounter a problem when anaslysing a physical situation (material), they could analyse a portion (infinitesimal) and integrate to get the characteristic behaviour of the whole

2 Likes

Re: Interview Question. Why Do Engineers Study Dy/dx? by AjanleKoko: 11:51am On Apr 30, 2012
OP is obviously trying to draw traffic to his blog. SMH. undecided

(1) (Reply)

. / Sales Rep Job At Standardchartered Bank / Which Is The Best Cibn Lecture Centre?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.