Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,281 members, 7,957,721 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:14 PM

Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach (20366 Views)

Luis Enrique To Be Tito Vilanova's Successor At Barcelona? / Tito Vilanova Steps-down As Barcelona Coach / Barcelona's Tito Vilanova Suffers Tumor Relapse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by mukina2: 1:20pm On Apr 27, 2012
Barcelona paid an emotional tribute to departing Pep Guardiola after the Spaniard confirmed he will leave the club at the end of the season.

Key stars of the first team, including club captain Carles Puyol, Gerard Pique and Cesc Fabregas watched Guardiola deliver his farewell speech at the Nou Camp, applauding him after announcing an end to his glorious trophy-laden four-year era

Barcelona also revealed that Guardiola's No 2 Tito Vilanova will take over the managerial reigns next season.
'I would like you to understand that this is not an easy decision for me. But I would like to explain my reasons for this decision,' said Guardiola.

'I have always wanted short-term contracts. Four years is an eternity as Barca coach. In the month of October I announced to the president and to the sporting director that I thought my spell was coming to an end.The main reason why I have taken this decision is because four years is many years.

'I have given everything and I have nothing left and need to recharge my batteries.

'The demands have been great and I have not been able to rest much. I have to recover and the only way I can do that is by distancing myself. Otherwise, we would have ended up damaging each other.

'I know that I'm leaving the best place to work in. I am very satisfied with the result we have achieved. I have had the great privilege of coaching fantastic players. I want to thank them.'At the same press conference, Barca president Sandro Rosell announced Vilanova would step up into the top job.

Sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta felt promoting from within, as they did with Guardiola, was the best way forward.

He said: 'We've always said that if the team needs players, we look at home first (Barca B). Who do we have here at home? Tito.'

The move to name a replacement so swiftly was a surprise with speculation in Spain linking the likes of Ernesto Valverde, Laurent Blanc and Marcelo Bielsa with the position once it became clear Guardiola was heading for the exit.

Guardiola's decision comes after a bad week for the Catalan giants following their midweek Champions League exit to Chelsea and their La Liga title collapse after last Saturday's defeat to Real Madrid.

The 41-year-old said it would have been a 'bad idea' to continue, sparking a scramble for his services this summer, placing the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City on alert.

Guardiola's contract was due to expire at the end of June and he informed the players at training today that he would not be extending his stay at the Nou Camp.

Source
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 27, 2012
Gud for him undecided
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by chuks49(m): 1:27pm On Apr 27, 2012
Great move
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by somze(f): 1:27pm On Apr 27, 2012
Chelsea sacks Guardiola grin cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by neyyo: 1:31pm On Apr 27, 2012
Pep Guardiola quits Barcelona: Watch press conferencehere http:///B00pR9zD

The guy see heat he run! Abeg come EPL maybe u go replicate the Barca run! Ask Wenger n Fergie!
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by isleman(m): 1:33pm On Apr 27, 2012
he should have left when the ovation was loudest. why allow Maurinho to boot him out? why resigning when he is losing important matches?

1 Like

Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by illuminati400: 1:36pm On Apr 27, 2012
somze: Chelsea sacks Guardiola grin cheesy
junky don't u understand d concept of finding a new challenge he will continue to prove in d near future dat morinho is second 2 him.
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by Canisma(m): 1:36pm On Apr 27, 2012
you re wrong. He is going to recharge his battery.
His team plays the best football the world has ever known and he is going on a one year break to go and research on a new football pattern thereby inventing A NEW STYLE OF FOOTBALL.
This is what Greatness entails.

3 Likes

Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by tunefreak(m): 1:36pm On Apr 27, 2012
Im still surprised at his decision. It looks weird for a young manager that has been so successful in such a big club over the past few years. He has his reasons however, Farewell Guardiola.
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by wisepluto(m): 1:40pm On Apr 27, 2012
Pep remains one of the best things that has happened to modern day futbol...Barca got to the climax of soccer ever. I wish him well as he ponders on where next to transform.
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by knash1(m): 1:40pm On Apr 27, 2012
13 trophies in 4 season. No be beanz

3 Likes

Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by Rhino5dm: 1:45pm On Apr 27, 2012
Indeed. The blues are something else.

Canisma:
you re wrong. He is going to recharge his battery.
His team plays the best football the world has ever known and he is going on a one year break to go and research on a new football pattern thereby inventing A NEW STYLE OF FOOTBALL.
This is what Greatness entails.
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 27, 2012
afraid of not winning a tile in the next 3 years, knowing fully well that jose is gonna win them all, so, he had to run away on time

2 Likes

Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by executinal(m): 1:46pm On Apr 27, 2012
Gbam grin grin
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by opabukun(m): 1:48pm On Apr 27, 2012
Pep,d end of an era by Chelsea! We showed d world how to beat Barca, quickly picked by Madrid & sure oda clubs to follow. But b4 it turn to disgrace (lyk ManUtd), a good orator leaves d stage.... I'm in love wt a man of principle lyk Pep. Won't be surp rice if he landed himself @d Bridge (tinking aloud dough)

1 Like

Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:49pm On Apr 27, 2012
neyyo: Pep Guardiola quits Barcelona: Watch press conferencehere http:///B00pR9zD

The guy see heat he run! Abeg come EPL maybe u go replicate the Barca run! Ask Wenger n Fergie!

The same Fergie he beat in the final of the Champions League twice. First as a Rookie. Please even Bilbao kids beat Fergusson. EPL = Too much hype. 3 Spanish teams in Europa league semi finals and two Spanish teams in Champions League semi finals. Yet EPL is superior. Pep has done well, wish him the best.

2 Likes

Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by enomakos(m): 1:50pm On Apr 27, 2012
k'nash:

u are right man,i think he is the most successful barcelona coach in history
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by temmiebery: 1:51pm On Apr 27, 2012
hmmm... what a great career to a great coach. 4years of active service and demand is indeed triumphant. Pep did well, you can't win all but yet he has proved to the world that football is good to behold. Even those that hate barcelona dominance do know that the football been played is exceptional. we enjoyed beautiful, lovely,dominating and passionate football. So to pep, well done. 13 trophies in 16 is not an easy ride... try cap it up with the copa del roy!!!!!! we barca fans say 'you have done us proud'. Gracias Pep......

1 Like

Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by OmawumiMegbele(m): 1:52pm On Apr 27, 2012
[size=20pt]Smart move. Leave when the ovation is loud..............No straight to chelsea[/size]
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by kutchs: 1:57pm On Apr 27, 2012
You can say whatever u lyk but Pep has done what no manager has done: winning 13 trophies in 3 yrs. Wish him gudluck in his next endevour.

1 Like

Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by Funkymallam(m): 1:59pm On Apr 27, 2012
Chelsea don give Pep run cheesy grin
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by Delafruita(m): 2:01pm On Apr 27, 2012
isleman: he should have left when the ovation was loudest. why allow Maurinho to boot him out? why resigning when he is losing important matches?
dumb response.it has always been speculated that pep would leave when his contract expires.he might have lost important matches,but barca wanted him to stay
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by chemberlin(m): 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2012
That is what chelsea can do to a great man career...I guess messi is d next...chelsea una too much
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by snowdrops(m): 2:04pm On Apr 27, 2012
With Pep gone, hopefully barca players can stop diving. [size=14pt][/size]
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by psalm201: 2:05pm On Apr 27, 2012
Pep to Chelsea
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 27, 2012
though am not barcelona fan.. Buh i think pep wrote his name in gold.. And he is about exit at the right time... 13 trophies in just 4years.. Thats heavy... Big kudos to him... Honour to who honour is due
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by Nobody: 2:08pm On Apr 27, 2012
psalm 20: Pep to Chelsea

God 4bid.. We want either mourinho or roberto di'matteao aka mr gudluck
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by gegee(m): 2:08pm On Apr 27, 2012
gardiola with barca gave us th best footbal in recent times.loved watching gardiolas team play it was poetry in motion.thanks for the good times mr gardiola

2 Likes

Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 27, 2012
snowdrops: With Pep gone, hopefully barca players can stop diving. [size=14pt][/size]
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by mcsunny03yahoocom(m): 2:11pm On Apr 27, 2012
k'nash:
nor lie d guy too much.that makes him a successfull man.bros Pep go rest jaree!
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by afechosen(m): 2:12pm On Apr 27, 2012
Clap!Clap!!Clap!!!He has tryd,thurs really nutin 2give."let me recharge my batteries"
Re: Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach by Nobody: 2:13pm On Apr 27, 2012
the plot is simple, pep has always said if he leaves barca there is only one club he can coach in england that is man united, and with baba fergie getting set to retire in like 2014, i see pep resting a while then taking over from where sir ferguson left off.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chelsea Vs Manchester City: FA Cup Semi Final (1 - 2) On April 14, 2013 / Luis Suarez Completes £75m Transfer To Barcelona / 99.3 Info Fm Sports Programme Vs Brilla Fm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.