Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

"POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? (17504 Views)

Poll: poverty is a choice, True or False?

True: 44% (70 votes)
False: 44% (71 votes)
None: 10% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? / The Trinity (true Or False). The Love Perspective. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by ENXGREAT: 9:45pm On Apr 30, 2012
Betrani. I quiet agree with u about me being rich,yes cos that's wat d word of God says concerning me. Blive me I have seen hard times in life n the case u described not having any tin to eat or drink I have passed thru worse. But dats where I think u get it all wrong poverty goes beyond the absence of cash its a mindset.

1 Like

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by sharpman1(m): 9:48pm On Apr 30, 2012
Well............

It is not absolutely true that poverty is a choice.....but then....some people have chosen to be poor buy their actions or in-actions.

I'll give two instances that i personally noticed.

1. There's this junior staff in my office.....he earns way less than i do. One day, i mentioned the name of the hair cream i use.....and he was asking why i would be using such a cheap hair cream. I was like..........what
My conclusion was that.....despite the fact that he does not earn a lot, he spends money on stuffs that i would consider unnecessary. The funny thing is that he usually asks for loans when the month is about to end.
This means he spends all his money, and hardly saves any. This sort of people usually wait for the big break that might never come. even if it does, their appetite to spend increases, and the cycle continues.

2. I know a woman that usually helps people clean their homes and she earns a reasonable sum from doing that. One day, she tells one of her clients that she's stopping the job.
Reason, her son just bought a car, and her neighbors will say.....her son just bought a car and she cleans people's homes.

In both cases, i believe the two individuals have chosen to be poor.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by sharpman1(m): 9:48pm On Apr 30, 2012
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:52pm On Apr 30, 2012
sharp man: Well............

It is not absolutely true that poverty is a choice.....but then....some people have chosen to be poor buy their actions or in-actions.

I'll give two instances that i personally noticed.

1. There's this junior staff in my office.....he earns way less than i do. One day, i mentioned the name of the hair cream i use.....and he was asking why i would be using such a cheap hair cream. I was like..........what
My conclusion was that.....despite the fact that he does not earn a lot, he spends money on stuffs that i would consider unnecessary. The funny thing is that he usually asks for loans when the month is about to end.
This means he spends all his money, and hardly saves any. This sort of people usually wait for the big break that might never come. even if it does, their appetite to spend increases, and the cycle continues.

2. I know a woman that usually helps people clean their homes and she earns a reasonable sum from doing that. One day, she tells one of her clients that she's stopping the job.
Reason, her son just bought a car, and her neighbors will say.....her son just bought a car and she cleans people's homes.

In both cases, i believe the two individuals have chosen to be poor.

You have just explained a simple concept many Nigerians *(unfortunately) will never agree with or understand - Cause and Effect, Choices and Consequences - It is something we do everyday knowingly and unknowingly - yet some here prefer Fated-Conditions, Good-Luck or Divine Intervention.

2 Likes

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Apr 30, 2012
Hmmm....

From most of the foregoing posts, I can see that the real question here is whether people are willing or not to take responsibility for their lives.

Well, whatever anybody's position on the topic, the fact is our decision ultimately determine our destination.

We can gripe all we want about government, environment, Nigeria, etc, but the fact is government is what it is because of the choices your father and my father made not to get involved; villages remain poor because they decided not to give free land to some project that would have saved their lives. People fail simply because of EASINESS.

Anyways, before y'all continue to defecate through your keypads and keyboards. Nobody actually thought to define poor or rich. My assumption is that your definitions will have something to do with how many things a person owns, which is really materialism not wealth. Wealth is to have enough; to be in control of your life and it does not take an MSc to achieve that.

Good Nite.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by warrior101: 10:00pm On Apr 30, 2012
logicboy:

Wrong. Your destiny is in your hands. However, it could also depend on the actions of other people in the sense of war and corruption

THE ABOVE IS NOT ELABORATE ENOUGH BUT IT IS THE BEST ANSWER SO FAR... THE REST CAN BE FIGURED OUT BY THE WISE MINDS...
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:07pm On Apr 30, 2012
@ Topic

YES!!

If you attend a church like Winners Chapel where the Pastor rides in a convoy of exotic cars, flies in a convoy of 3 Jets, owns houses in the UK, US and Europe, owns a school you cant afford to attend, owns a housing estate you cant afford to rent let alone buy, and yet you have been attending that church for over 10 years, paying your tithe faithfully for 10 years, putting offering for 10 years, planting seed faith for over 10 years, giving your widows mite for over 10 years, have bought and read every book, cassette, CD, DVD and pamphlet of his for over 10 years, fasted, prayed, interceeded, for over 10 years and you are still as poor as you are;

YOU CHOSE TO BE POOR!! CHIKINA!!

If you don't see a problem with this, then you were destined to be poor.

2 Likes

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by levos2007(m): 10:40pm On Apr 30, 2012
YOU CAN GO AND TELL PEOPLE IN SUDAN, NAPEL, AND NIGER THAT POVERTY IS A CHOICE.....
YOU CAN ONLY SAY POVERTY IS A CHOICE WHEN YOU HAVE THE RESOURCE AND YOU DIDN'T MAKE USE OF IT.
I THANK GOD FOR WHO I AM AND SKY IS THE LIMIT.. ITS JUST JAH GRACE THAT BLESS MY HUSTLE NOT BECAUSE I CHOICE IT .

1 Like

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by akintayo1(m): 11:00pm On Apr 30, 2012
The western world may make us belive so many things,but we should not forget our beging,where we come from(our creator GOD).GOD said he is the controller of the univers,he bestow on whom he will.nothing is beyond his reach.GOD said if he decide to make one reach he bestow that person with wisdom.man need to seek for knowledge strive for wisdom as much you can,try every means available to be successful.But above all we need the blessing of the creator to crown our effort with success.the same student were taugth by one teacher,all briliant,study for the same hour,eat same diet,do every thing equally yet at the time of exam,only one will come out as number one.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by blessedmayor(m): 11:04pm On Apr 30, 2012
sumtimes people chose poverty by themselvez.hw could u tel me a man dat cn nt eat 3squar meal wit hiz wife wil start givin birth to 7-8 children.it also bafflez me.

1 Like

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by August21(m): 11:16pm On Apr 30, 2012
2good:

You don't even know me and you're telling me not to fall prey of poverty. I know your type. You read so much books and think success is as theoretical as it is stated in books. FYI, I am way out of the poverty class and have nothing else to tell you. Also I dont believe in your bible and your god, so if you want to converse with me, be realistic and not quote from what someone else wrote but instead tell me what you have done and achieve with all your theories and the circumstances you used in achieving them. Enough with all these quotes because I know people that have fallen victim and spoilt their life because they believed in the success story as written by religious authors.

My guy, Poverty is a choice.its not compulsory dat evry1 must be rich,but living an average life cannot be entirely ruled out for a man who is enlightened and bold enuff to plan and see it thru. Most poor people av no vision and are always content wit their level of income. So, wen a man is content wt his present level and is nt ready to break free dat person will remain in dat level excpt his child or sombody else who has taken d batton from him his ready to break free. Dats life for u my dear...Poverty has nothing to do with religion.it is a thing of d mind.I'll quote Apostle johnson suleman "Ur background shd nt be a reason why ur back shd be on d ground".
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by JeanMacqou(m): 11:19pm On Apr 30, 2012
Not exactly, but some people don't have the ambition to strive to be rich. Money doesn't buy happiness, s some people will actually live a happier life being poor.

Remember this. A short life, being poor, being uneducated, and a lack of material do not directly make people unhappy. Happiness comes from within.

Furthermore, most poor people have a low intelligence level. It is clear that low intelligence is the main cause of poverty.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by August21(m): 11:29pm On Apr 30, 2012
betrani: What u become in life doesn't depend on u alone! It also depend on situations, people and circumstances around u! Compare d life of a boy in burkingham palace; exposed to d best things in life; ranging from good access roads, a good communication system, better healthcare, the internet, better educational facilities etc! To dat of a boy with d same IQ, age etc living in d most typical village in d remotest part of africa, without access to the things mentioned above! I believe ur guez of wat happens to d latter is as good as mine!
Na pple like yu we dey talk say "change ur mentality!"
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by ENXGREAT: 11:31pm On Apr 30, 2012
[quote author=cyrexx]

is that what they told you will happen if you speak the truth you observe about their bad behaviour. they can misbehave and nothing will happen, but if you speak the truth about their misbehaviour you will attract the wrath of God on your finances and generations unborn. pls no offense, bro; but it shows the extent of their advanced psychological manipulation on you and other people's mentality, controlling them with fear and justifying their lavish lifestyle. i used to live under that fear, but not anymore. the only person i fear is GOD and GOD ALONE, not these fake prosperity preachers who called themsevles men of God and defrauding people.
If u think I speak out of fear or of a manipulated mind then u r not far from the truth because as d ordinary mind would think only a man under manipulation will say such tins. U know why cos I fear the one who called them to service. Secondly wat yardstick do u use in judging a truth n a lie. If it's ur mind n not God's word then u've got it wrong. Have u asked urself y did Jesus die,he died for my sins u'll be quick to ans but dats a fraction of wat he's death accomplished. He(Jesus)was rich but for ur sake he bcame poor that u through he's poverty might bcome rich. There's more to Christ
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by kkulaja(m): 11:44pm On Apr 30, 2012
The truth is Nigerian economy is the main factor that propels most nigerians to church believing in pastors to make a way for them as the economy itself seem hopeless,and most of the pastors preach and see things of the world as Godly.The government tries to dull the economy by making basic amenities to be luxury to the citizens.
True Poverty is a choice but not better flexible options in 9ja as in civilised world. So hopelesness leads most to prosperity preachers to professy in their lives as they are too lazy to pray or fast for their situations by themselves and believe the mult millionaire prosperity preachers will do for them as long as they are faithful in their givings and will reap as much as u give "Sow" no disrespect pls pardon me Lord for I am not judging but realising the signs of the end time.Some of the prosperity preachers even make some to misunderstand them and do funny things just so to get money forgetting that being successful is different from being rich.
The last day is cumin wen the trumpet shall blow & all men shall give account but meanwhile we all die

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by ENXGREAT: 11:58pm On Apr 30, 2012
This is my last contribution on this matter. Take a good look @ dis instance two pple in d same condition both from a poor community venture into d same business-satchet water selling(hawking). One from d savings made out of the business opens his own pure water company n d other could barely fend for himself n his family because he sees wat he gets from d business as food. My question- wud u say life was unfair to d other who couldn't make anytin tangible from d small business seeing life presented them with the same opportunity. He chose Poverty unconsciously.
Make n see the best in anytin u do. U can start small but refuse to remain small

1 Like

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by JeanMacqou(m): 12:02am On May 01, 2012
Looks like my previous post was freaking deleted. So here i go again (sigh)

Most poor people lack the ambition to strive to be rich. Many of them a already content with thier lives. Remember that money does NOT buy happiness, nor does education, material wealth, or life span. Happiness comes from within. It comes From whats in your heart.

Furthermore, most poor people have a low level of intelligence. It is clear that a lack of intelligence is the main cause of poverty. To make things worse, poor and unintelligent people have more kids that they can't even support.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by iconics: 12:09am On May 01, 2012
Poverty is a choice! A state of mind. If lack doesn't irritate a person irrespective of what he/she controls at the moment they can't live above poverty. God sees poverty differently form the world; the same flood that destroyed the world carried noah's ark. So, a person born into a poor family due to economic, social or political factors might develop a mindset that is actually comfortable with poverty(easily seen in the words the utter) and unless this mindset is changed, this person will remain poor irrespective of where he/she is in this world and may even return to poverty irrespective of the amount of wealth they may control through opportunities. God is in heaven, He has given the earth to the sons of men!!!

Again, don't deceive yourself, you can only be a vivid reflection of your Pastor, you can't live above poverty if your Pastor is against prosperity.

Thanks @leki2 and the other person who cited the example of a boy not wanting to sell pure water for your inspiring comments.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by PapaBrowne(m): 12:14am On May 01, 2012
I think more than a choice, Poverty is a state of mind influenced by the choices we have made over time.
Let me use what I will describe as the PawPaw Theory to explain why I think poverty has to do with the choices we make.

Let me start with an illustration in the form of a story.

Two fellows, poor and hungry bricklayers, living in Lagos were given a large Pawpaw fruit each.
One of them(Lets call him John) looked at the fruit and said, HA thank God, this PawPaw go quench my hunger. So he ate the fruit and threw the seeds away.
The other(Lets call him Jerry) looked at it and saw something different. He saw a plantation. A massive plantation. So he ate the fruit and kept the seeds.

A few statistics about PawPaw before I proceed with my story.

*A pawpaw fruit has about 500 seeds on average.
*It starts producing fruit after the 1st year and does so for 3 more years
*Each tree produces on average 20 harvestable fruits a year.
*Average price of pawpaw in Nigeria is 150-250 Naira.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-9qazff1IhJI/T09vv-LY1NI/AAAAAAAAAB4/mEdvaR8oVLQ/s1600/papaya+seeds.jpg[/img]

Next day, John and Jerry go to work. They are paid 1000 naira each for that day's Job.
John buys himself enough beans and Garri to last him for one week.
Jerry on the other hand, buys a Hoe and uses the rest to pay transport back to his village- PawPaw seeds in hand!

500 pawpaw seeds planted grew to 500 pawpaw trees.
In one year, the trees produced 500 x 20= 10,000 pawpaw Fruits.
He harvested all, but kept fresh seeds from 200 fruits for planting in the next year.
200 x 500 = 100,000 seeds.
[img]http://x333xxx.files./2010/01/paw-paw.jpg[/img]

He sold 9000 fruits at wholesale for 70 Naira each.
He made a cool 630,000 Naira in the first year.

He took more land and planted his 100,000 seeds.
These new trees produces 100,000 x 20 = 2 million pawpaw fruits.

He harvested all 2 million fruits and sold wholesale for 20 Naira each.
He made a whooping 40 Million Naira in the second year!!

John on the other hand was still bricklaying in Lagos and buying Beans and Garri for the week anytime he is paid 1000 Naira.
John is waiting for Government to improve his life.
Jerry on the other hand has improved his life and he would employ hundreds of villagers to harvest his pawpaw. His Pawpaw is in high demand and foreing companies are beginning to make inquires. So he plants more and more and gets more and more money!!

All Jerry did was to make a better choice than John.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by PapaBrowne(m): 12:28am On May 01, 2012
My point is majority of poor people are where they are today because they've made wrong choices. Those wrong choices are mainly influenced by their state of mind. Your state of mind is usually influenced by the amount of knowledge and understanding at your disposal.
The best antidote to poverty is education. Any society without adequate education would suffer poverty.
By the way education doesn't neccesarily mean going to school. The education I refer to is one which empowers you tgo acquire knowledge and utilize that knowledge to any given scenario.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by JeanMacqou(m): 1:57am On May 01, 2012
PapaBrowne: I think more than a choice, Poverty is a state of mind influenced by the choices we have made over time.
Let me use what I will describe as the PawPaw Theory to explain why I think poverty has to do with the choices we make.

Two fellows, poor and hungry bricklayers, living in Lagos were given a large Pawpaw fruit each.
One of them(Lets call him John) looked at the fruit and said, HA thank God, this PawPaw go quench my hunger. So he ate the fruit and threw the seeds away.
The other(Lets call him Jerry) looked at it and saw something different. He saw a plantation. A massive plantation. So he ate the fruit and kept the seeds.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-9qazff1IhJI/T09vv-LY1NI/AAAAAAAAAB4/mEdvaR8oVLQ/s1600/papaya+seeds.jpg[/img]

Next day, John and Jerry go to work. They are paid 1000 naira each for that day's Job.
Jerry on the other hand, buys a Hoe and uses the rest to pay transport back to his village- PawPaw seeds in hand!

He harvested all, but kept fresh seeds from 200 fruits for planting in the next year.

John on the other hand was still bricklaying in Lagos and buying Beans and Garri for the week anytime he is paid 1000 Naira.
Jerry on the other hand has improved his life and he would employ hundreds of villagers to harvest his pawpaw. His Pawpaw is in high demand and foreing companies are beginning to make inquires. So he plants more and more and gets more and more money!!

it cant be that easy
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Jomiliny(m): 2:09am On May 01, 2012
No One Can Choose To Be Poor Now. It Is Impossible For Someone To Choose To Be Poor Except If The Person Is a Fool.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by tchaik(m): 2:28am On May 01, 2012
PapaBrowne: I think more than a choice, Poverty is a state of mind influenced by the choices we have made over time.

There is this story that goes thus: A white man came to a remote riverine village in South-South Nigeria for vacation. One fateful day, the white man went to the river with his camera, and as he was snapping shots after shots, he noticed a boat in the middle of the river. Inside the boat, lay a fisherman, with his straw hat covering his face, and a little transistor radio was playing a local tune.
The bewildered white looked at his wrist watch and saw the time was 11.30am; not even noon yet.
The white man asked why the fisherman was relaxing like that at his 'work place'? No one was able to answer the question.
So, the inquisitive oyibo hired a boat and paddled to where the fisherman was relaxing. After exchanging pleasantries, these conversations went on between the duo:
White man: "Why were you relaxing like that when you have fishes to catch"?
Fisherman: (confused) "And when I catch 'em fishes what will happen"?
White man: "you can sell them, then use the proceeds to support your trade"
Fisherman: "And then?"
White man: " You can buy more nets, lines and hooks, and if possible buy another canoe"
Fisherman: "And then?"
White man: " You can then employ people to be fishing for you; you can even use the extra income to buy a big boat/trawler for your business."
Fisherman:"And then?"
White man: " By then you don't have to be fishing again; hired hands will be doing the work for you"
Fisherman: " And then?"
White man: " You then have time to relax and enjoy your life"
The fisherman shook his head and replied the beaming White man; "Must I go through all these just to have the same relaxation I am having now?

LESSON: Not everybody wants a Rolls; some folks will prefer motocycle to a BMW. (And I have seen such)
RESPECT!!
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by babamoshe: 6:27am On May 01, 2012
mama-gee:
Poverty is not a choice. . .

Saying poverty is a choice is like saying being tall or short is a choice! tongue

I choose to disagree wit ur analogy mama! Tall or short pple cant change their state...nature gave dat to dem. Just answer this question "how many times have u seen a short man of 25 bcom tall at 35?" Then answer this "how many times have u seen a poor wretched man of 25 become rich at 35?". I tink u can analyse beta wit ur answers.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Godmann(m): 7:12am On May 01, 2012
The truth is that by our actions, we can make our life better. But another truth, is that by the circumstances of birth or the environment we find ourselves, there is a circle we can never be able to come out of.

What I am saying in essence, is that we have enough power to move toward the perimeter of a circle, which is determined by factors outside our control. Where we place ourselves within that circle of riches/poverty is purely within our actions and in-actions. But we lack the ability to go beyond the circle or to even determine its width. It is purely that of destiny and chance.

Determining this circle and making the best out of it our task.

The fact also is that most people that have access to nairaland will never imagine what it means to be born into absolute poverty, where you will never even discover yourself, let alone being able to change your condition. We can think and talk because primarily, we have been educated. Some people can never be able to read and write. Some will have to till the ground with "crude" hoe and cutlasses, not even in their own land for they have no access to land of their own, but for some other people, only to be paid wages that can hardly buy two meals a day. How will such a person ever break out of the "poverty circle"?

How will the millions in northern Nigeria who has been completely brainwashed to believe that their God created them to be poor ever realise themselves?

Did they choose to be brainwashed as little children? Whereas we are lucky to be sent to schools, or even be left alone to think for ourselves, some was completely brainwashed. How will they ever break out of the poverty circle having been denied a brain to think?

Poverty can be a consequence of poor decisions and laziness; it can as well be a matter of circumstance.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Nobody: 7:18am On May 01, 2012
It could be.

It depends on how many paths a person wants to take. If a person only sees plan A, then they're limited. If a person sees several effective plans, then . . . .

If you have a degree in mathematics and you're finding it hard to find a job in an educational setting, try setting up a tutoring business.

Unfortunately, fast money or fast success is often expected. If reinforcement like money and social reinforcement are not immediate, people just give up.

So in some ways, it is a choice, if one chooses not to open other doors when one closes.

In Nigeria, it's a matter of choice. . . . explanation is very complex, but self-explanatory.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Jyde89: 7:28am On May 01, 2012
Poverty's not a choice,remaining in it is. winkPoverty's not a choice,remaining in it is.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by jonnpedro: 7:45am On May 01, 2012
THE TRUTH REMAINS THAT POVERTY IS NEVER A GAME OF CHOICE, GOD REMAINS THE GIVER OF WEALTH, WE SHOULD STOP USING GOD'S NAME IN JUSTIFYING OUR LIES, GOD NEVER PROMISED ANYBODY POVERTY OR RICHES, GOD HAS A PERFECT PLAN FOR US, SO THOSE PROSPERITY PREACHERS ARE JUST ENRICHING THEMSELVES WITH THE POOR PEOPLE, THEY KEEP GETTING RICHER AND THE POOR CHURCH MEMBERS REMAINS POOR, THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT HELPING THEM WITH JOBS, MONEY FOR BUSINESS OR SO, I BELIEVE THAT IF ANYBODY HAS GONE THROUGH SOME SORT OF DIFFICULTY, HE/SHE WILL NEVER SAY THAT POVERTY IS A MATTER OS CHOICE, IF SO, THE TRUCK PUSHERS WILL NEVER BE POOR BECAUSE THEY ARE THE PEOPLE THAT HUSTLES MORE, SO LET US SAY WHAT IS REASONABLE AND STOP PATRONIZING THE SO CALLED MEN OF GOD WHO USES GOD'S NAME IN CHEATING, EVEN THOSE WHO CLAIM THE KNOW THE BIBLE, DID JESUS OWN A HOUSE, DID HE OWN ANY HORSE THEN, DID HE HAVE ANY TREASURY, WHY DO WE DECEIVE OURSELVES CLAIMING THAT THE BIBLE SAYS, IT IS VERY WRONG TO USE GOD'S NAME IN VAIN, BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by babamoshe: 9:07am On May 01, 2012
jonnpedro: THE TRUTH REMAINS THAT POVERTY IS NEVER A GAME OF CHOICE, GOD REMAINS THE GIVER OF WEALTH, WE SHOULD STOP USING GOD'S NAME IN JUSTIFYING OUR LIES, GOD NEVER PROMISED ANYBODY POVERTY OR RICHES, GOD HAS A PERFECT PLAN FOR US, SO THOSE PROSPERITY PREACHERS ARE JUST ENRICHING THEMSELVES WITH THE POOR PEOPLE, THEY KEEP GETTING RICHER AND THE POOR CHURCH MEMBERS REMAINS POOR, THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT HELPING THEM WITH JOBS, MONEY FOR BUSINESS OR SO, I BELIEVE THAT IF ANYBODY HAS GONE THROUGH SOME SORT OF DIFFICULTY, HE/SHE WILL NEVER SAY THAT POVERTY IS A MATTER OS CHOICE, IF SO, THE TRUCK PUSHERS WILL NEVER BE POOR BECAUSE THEY ARE THE PEOPLE THAT HUSTLES MORE, SO LET US SAY WHAT IS REASONABLE AND STOP PATRONIZING THE SO CALLED MEN OF GOD WHO USES GOD'S NAME IN CHEATING, EVEN THOSE WHO CLAIM THE KNOW THE BIBLE, DID JESUS OWN A HOUSE, DID HE OWN ANY HORSE THEN, DID HE HAVE ANY TREASURY, WHY DO WE DECEIVE OURSELVES CLAIMING THAT THE BIBLE SAYS, IT IS VERY WRONG TO USE GOD'S NAME IN VAIN, BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I lov it Pedro wen u say God has a perfect plan for us. Wat I neva heard u say is dat He called it Plan of good and not evil. I dont knw which scriptures u read wen u say God didnt promise anybody riches or poverty.

For pple who there is a perimeter u cant break out of... I will want to laff at that. Pple aroun me are too much of a testimony I will neva take poverty to be sth u cant come out by ur choices. A friend who I grew up wit had to do labourer work frm around d age of 15 in order to support his family an education. Today he is 28 and he is a multi millionaire. Anoda friend I knew den, cudnt even afford to even to scale it thru secondary skool. He dropped out but his brains didnt drop out. He said to me back wen he was 16, "guy if some ppl no go skool still make money then me sef go do am". It sounded funny to me then but today it doesnt. Today he is 31, and he is a bizness man. Has a duplex of his own and 2 Behind SUVs for himself and his wife. He sends his first kid to a primary skool of abt 75k per term comfortably. One day we got talkin, he said "Am givin my son an additional opportunity to study and be successful, if I cudnt afford to study and am dis successful then am givin him a chance to be more successful". My eyes have seen pple who hav decided not to allow where they find themselves limit their lives.
Just like someone has already said b4: Being poor may not be ur choice but remainin poor is 100% ur choice. Remember, d first step out of poverty is knowing you can do sth abt it and takin responsibility to do it.

Am forced to say weneva u c a wealthy man, dont b swift to conclude he was born into it, ask him for his story. I heard someone say if u can hav access to nairaland then ur poverty neva tie wrapper, well dat person doesnt knw where we all hav been. A friend of mine who has a blackberry dealership store today, I recall wen he came wit his younger one to towm frm d village around age of 13: wen he saw a car pass tru d street, he ran inside d house and hid in d toilet. He had neva seen a car and was scared. Life gives u wat u demand frm it friends. Choose to succeed. Choose not to remain where u are in life. We always say no condition is permanent; even poverty is not permanent!
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by ow11(m): 9:09am On May 01, 2012

I didn't know farmlands were still handed out for free and EVERY seed grows to a tree and must produce EQUAL number of fruits. You sound like the prosperity preacher the OP is worried about.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by sample042(m): 9:21am On May 01, 2012
Wao! am overwhelmed from d response dt i'v seen so far. it's quite encouragn n motivating. I believe it wil compel sm persons readn to activate dia potentials.
Bt those against(FALSE) are nt backing their point. Pls if u'r against d topic gv us illustrations like d paw-paw(jerry n john), oyibo n d fisherman etc (amusing). I'v always known dt dia r brains in ds forum, kudoz palz!
Mukina n Seun THANKS bt encourage sm of us dt update dis forum wit enlightening topics by placing our posts in front page.

I LOVE NAIRALAND!!!

1 Like

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Cargoed: 9:27am On May 01, 2012
Is Ignorance a choice if so poverty is a choice. What about Fear and Laziness are they also a choice if so Poverty is a choice.
As far as you have 24hrs of the day, God has already blessed you with opportunity is up to you to make use of it.
Now you can also request it from God it depends on your relationship. I rest my case.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Where Was God During The Rwandan Genocide ? / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? / Part 3: Pastor To Atheist: Ask Me Any Question I Will Answer If Safe For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.