Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

"POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? (17506 Views)

Poll: poverty is a choice, True or False?

True: 44% (70 votes)
False: 44% (71 votes)
None: 10% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? / The Trinity (true Or False). The Love Perspective. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by fredoooooo: 6:03pm On Apr 30, 2012
i think in both scriptures (Bible and Quran ),said that God bless whoever he want , then how is it by choice again ?
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by dailynigerian: 6:09pm On Apr 30, 2012
Poverty is both choice and chance.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by ronkebp(f): 6:14pm On Apr 30, 2012
Nobody chooses to be poor, everybody wants to be rich, but their attitude towards life and their life in particular will determine whether they will be rich or poor. 'unseriousness, laziness and procastination' are part of the foundation of poverty.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by djon78(m): 6:21pm On Apr 30, 2012
i dont follow after all these fake pastors!! but one thing i know is that poverty is a choice.

poverty has its roots in the human mind, while at the same time the human mind is the greatest force on earth.

a lot of people dont use their minds at all to think and creat wealth.

other sources of poverty are laziness, lack of diligence, bad attitude, easyly giving up, not striving for long, no lasting power when faced with all the mud, setback that life throws at us.

most people give excuse(i tried but i could nt). no u did not have the staying power and also many people easily give up in life.

infact one of the greatest places u can get wisdom to become wealthy is in the biblethe book of proverbs has so many passges that talks about wealth.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by johhnnie(m): 6:25pm On Apr 30, 2012
Really, I believe personally that staying in poverty or being poor is by choice. All men irrespective of background or upbringing are born equal though with different opportunities. If poverty was not by choice,late Abiola, Awolowo, Bill Gates, late Steve jobs, M Jackson etc would wouldn't amount to anything.

Making money is about the easiest thing in life depending on what you open your heart to believe. If the mind can conceive it, the mind can achieve.

Have a blueprint for your life and you will be amazed how far you will go in life. Where some people see opportunities in challenges others see challenges as opportunities to lament and wallow in self pity balming everyone else for our woes.

My dears, your destiny is in your hands. You only can determine how far you will go in life. But first u need to widen your scope and carve a vision for yourself.

See a man diligent in his works, so shall he prosper....., a little sleep, a little slumber; in no time will poverty creep in to your warm embrace.
Instead of you analysing/criticising how some pple got the wealth, y can't you be creative and add values...

Some a human problem that has wide application and attach a monetary reward fro your effort and see if you will not be rich.

pastors will continue to prosper as long as the govt refuse to do social/economic/environmental justice.

people want to be recognised.. every one is a psychological animal of importance.

Be good at what you do, learn on the route. and i will tell you that in every classroom setting, there are basically two sets of student that are worthy of emulation 1. those that are reading so that they can get a good job with fat salary and 2. those that are studying not necessarily hard but hoping that one day, they will set up conglomerates that will absorb the first set of people.

I disagree when premise making it on lack of opportunity. All men have equal opportunities. I told myself something early in life and that has been my principle... that I was not born in to a rich family before God knew that I did not need rich parents to make it in life. So he gave the rich parents to those that can not think on their own. Have read the book 'other people's money'? pls, read it.

God must have believed so much in to have given me a golden opportunity of being a self starter and I can tell you today that I don't owe a thank you to anyone except God.

So my dears, being poor is by choice and will should learn to be answerable for our actions. Also, note the laws of attraction.. whatever you vibrate towards will definitely vibrate towards you

2 Likes

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 30, 2012
ronkebp: Nobody chooses to be poor, everybody wants to be rich, but their attitude towards life and their life in particular will determine whether they will be rich or poor. 'unseriousness, laziness and procastination' are part of the foundation of poverty.

The line between laziness and hardwork should be established.If wealthy is to be measured by how hard people really worked,then those cart-pushers and labourers should be richest.I think all these things are determined by God through destiny.you can be very lazy and still be rich.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by deleo16(m): 6:29pm On Apr 30, 2012
[quote author=leki2]Firstly, we must understand the true meaning of poverty. Poverty is a mindset. Secondly, poverty is not the lack of acquisition of material things. There are poor rich men. Sounds lik oxymoron but it's true. The fact that you were born into a poor family is not your own doing but life is lived by choices. There will be a time when you'd have to make your own choices, not that of your fathers. My grandfather was a poor man. Buh my father was a successful man. So is his brothers and siste
true talk u have said it all at least poverty is everywhere even inthe uk ad us just that nigeria own is high
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by deleo16(m): 6:34pm On Apr 30, 2012
narttis1:

I think you've never been in a helpless situation where everything seems not to work yet, you're doing everything right.
true sometime after all work an everything noting to show for it that where God factor come in sometimes its spiritual
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Apr 30, 2012
johhnnie: Really, I believe personally that staying in poverty or being poor is by choice. All men irrespective of background or upbringing are born equal though with different opportunities. If poverty was not by choice,late Abiola, Awolowo, Bill Gates, late Steve jobs, M Jackson etc would wouldn't amount to anything.

Making money is about the easiest thing in life depending on what you open your heart to believe. If the mind can conceive it, the mind can achieve.

Have a blueprint for your life and you will be amazed how far you will go in life. Where some people see opportunities in challenges others see challenges as opportunities to lament and wallow in self pity balming everyone else for our woes.

My dears, your destiny is in your hands. You only can determine how far you will go in life. But first u need to widen your scope and carve a vision for yourself.

See a man diligent in his works, so shall he prosper....., a little sleep, a little slumber; in no time will poverty creep in to your warm embrace.
Instead of you analysing/criticising how some pple got the wealth, y can't you be creative and add values...

Some a human problem that has wide application and attach a monetary reward fro your effort and see if you will not be rich.

pastors will continue to prosper as long as the govt refuse to do social/economic/environmental justice.

people want to be recognised.. every one is a psychological animal of importance.

Be good at what you do, learn on the route. and i will tell you that in every classroom setting, there are basically two sets of student that are worthy of emulation 1. those that are reading so that they can get a good job with fat salary and 2. those that are studying not necessarily hard but hoping that one day, they will set up conglomerates that will absorb the first set of people.

I disagree when premise making it on lack of opportunity. All men have equal opportunities. I told myself something early in life and that has been my principle... that I was not born in to a rich family before God knew that I did not need ]rich parents to make it in life.[b So he gave the rich parents to those that can not think on their own.[/b] Have read the book 'other people's money'? pls, read it.

God must have believed so much in to have given me a golden opportunity of being a self starter and I can tell you today that I don't owe a thank you to anyone except God.

So my dears, being poor is by choice and will should learn to be answerable for our actions. Also, note the laws of attraction.. whatever you vibrate towards will definitely vibrate towards you

Bullshit. . . . . .Dangote and his brother dantata were born into a wealthy family but they maximize their potentials and today,dangote is the richest man in Africa.where do you get this crap about other peoples' money from ? It's not anybody's doing that they are born into a poor or rich family,so stop blaming those fortunate ones like they are parasite ! tongue
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by djon78(m): 6:36pm On Apr 30, 2012
contd

in the book of proverbs there are some of these quotes: a. much tiillage are in the midst of the poor but he is destroyed because of lack of judgement
b. too much talk leads to penury but the hand of diligent maketh rich
c. seest though a man diligent in his buissness he will stand before kings he will not stand before mere men
d. he becometh poorthat dealeth with a slack hand

also i got some real philosophical insight from one of Jesus Christ quotation: ask and u shall receive, seek and u shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto u. for anyone tht asketh receiveth and that seekeht findeth and anyone that knocketh door is opened unto.
from this christ quotan when we really seek knowledge we will get it, when we really knock at doors of opportuntity and never giving up, never taking no for an answer we willl get what we want. but majority of people give up when they have tried once, twice, trice and then say that the opportunity did not come. no dont easily give up keep on striving as lonng as u try u will succede
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by deleo16(m): 6:36pm On Apr 30, 2012
[quote author=Youngsage]
Cyrexx, i'm afraid you're the one who's not being realistic. From my first post, i didn't mention anywhere that i was in support of 'prosperity preaching' neither did i try to make my post sweet to the ears.
I stated facts, you just probably misunderstood me, and i'll state them again.
Poverty stems from ignorance, a deadly disease. Now note that not academic ignorance, but ignorance of the knowledge to create wealth, potential wealth.
It all arises from the mindset, the mental
2ru talk
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Jawn(m): 6:36pm On Apr 30, 2012
Yield: It depends on the situation. Some people're born into it. And when they're not given the proper aid or don't encounter opportunities to help them get out, the cycle will continue.
No. The circle won't cntinue if u dnt wnt it to. because if u want anythng bad enough, nothng can stop u from getting it. If u want it with the proper dose of desire,with sufficient effort, it will be urs. For example, no code is uncrackable,no computer is unhackable if u badly want to. Poverty is cosd by ignorant, ignorant cosd by laziness. Hence, PORVERTY = CHOICE
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by yaksh: 6:37pm On Apr 30, 2012
pls tell him 2 go back 2 books, no whr in bible o qur'an dat said poverty is choice
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Mafious(m): 6:39pm On Apr 30, 2012
Being born poor or dealth a poor hand by destiny is not a choice!
Not doing anything about it is a choice.
I think people have to be clear about the assertions they make, I come across people everyday and I wonder how they made it to te states
and the story is always the same they got tired of their circumstance and applied, schemed, told half the truth, lied, played Visa lottery
every year until they achieved.
It's ok to be poor it's your choice if you remain poor, if your job is bad get another job, or get more education or take proffesional exams,
do eye service, kiss arsses and kiss some more arss to get to the top.
Granted many pastors this days are in it for personal gains but what they do really works so I cannot fault their logic. They design the blue
print for a big Church project sell it to member who pay for the dream.
This is one thing I have learnt about God, he'll give you what you ask for, if you believe for a little bitty God that can get you a local government
job that is the kind of offers that would come your way, but if you believe a big God that can favour in the sight of HR people at Shell and Zenith
you'll just find doors opening to you.
My life is a big testament to the fact that the race is not to the swift,I meet the so called big boys everyday and without being conceited I am
disappointed in most of cause they are pretty average people but the key is they see themselves very differently than most people do.
The correct way is to say it is "As long as God exists and you have faith (The total, undiluted, unadultrated utterly conviced state of knowledge of
him and his power) in him then Poverty is a choice".

1 Like

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by babaowo: 6:39pm On Apr 30, 2012
logicboy:

Do you really think that your post makes any sense?

1) First you talk about vision. Vision or goals are good but if you dont have any means to achieve them, the vision is a useless.

2) You talk about God and Moses. The old testament is of little relevance to modern day life. God also told Moses on how to regulate slavery in the old testament.

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Apr 30, 2012
shocked
~Bluetooth:

Bullshit. . . . . .Dangote and his brother dantata were born into a wealthy family but they maximize their potentials and today,dangote is the richest man in Africa.where do you get this crap about other peoples' money from ? It's not anybody's doing that they are born into a poor or rich family,so stop blaming those fortunate ones like they are parasite ! tongue
wonders!!! So bluetooth can reason like this..
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by LadyAdorable: 6:41pm On Apr 30, 2012
Youngsage:
yes, u may be born into it, but to remain in it is a choice. Even the bible says ...and u shall make your way prosperous. Joshua 1. If u sit down there, saying i'm waiting for proper aid and opportunities without striving, seeking knowlege to develop urself, then sorry.
Someone jokingly, once said, when u die and angels ask u why u didnt live life to their xpectation and u answer because i was poor, and they ask u why, u say because my parents were poor, right then u'll receive a knock on ur head!
You may be born poor, dats okay. But if u die poor, dats not okay!
thank u my broda
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by babaowo: 6:41pm On Apr 30, 2012
ronkebp: Nobody chooses to be poor, everybody wants to be rich, but their attitude towards life and their life in particular will determine whether they will be rich or poor. 'unseriousness, laziness and procastination' are part of the foundation of poverty.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by cordj2: 6:42pm On Apr 30, 2012
Poverty is a choice, and to be rich is a choice.If you keep doing the same thing, same way, definatly u will get the same result. The principle of wealth accumulation works for anybody regardless of religion,race or gender.Guys,think positively, act prosperious and read books. Will give more details later
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Latems(m): 6:42pm On Apr 30, 2012
I can see why there will always be d poor amongst us. Riches in life I consider it synonymous to success in academics. A student that passes does so not by chance.he takes time to attend lectures, studies etc because he choose to succed.think about this and look into ur individual life.
Check ur mentality. How much do u want not to be poor. Everyman who blames others for their predicament has signed in for a life of mediocrity.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by DECOtech(m): 6:44pm On Apr 30, 2012
P -passing
O -Over
O -opportunities
R -repeatedly

POVERTY IS IGNORANCE. One has to actually CHOOSE to be enlightened.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 30, 2012
kcswat: :owonders!!! So bluetooth can reason like this..

Are you kidding me ? Anyways nothing to sweat about this issue besides i'm more or less talking from my own little experience. cheesy grin
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Apr 30, 2012
Zilja:

I agree with you about the cycle. I'm sure its hard to break when you were born into it and you said proper aid. It seems like you almost have to be destin for greatness day of conception to have different outcome.

I believe that there are different levels of "poor" and some levels are better off than others but yet still considerd poor when you compare to the middle class living. Some middle class people are considered as poverty living. Some wrold contries are "poor" so therefore you have no choice but to live below your means if the means are not available. All peole are Gods people and he knows what they need and when they need it.

You have got to be careful what you allow into your spirit. The more you speak about this the more it becomes alive. Not all Pastors/Preacher are called by God.

Find you a church that you agree with the Doctrine being taught and you won't have to come to NL and ask such a question.
you have spoken intelligently. I agree with ya.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Apr 30, 2012
POVERTY IS A CHOICE!!!

I say this knowing full well that there are billons in the world today who have inherited conditions which are unfavorable to the pursuit of a better life.

Yet, everywhere you go, among all classes and every cadre: rich, poor; high class, no class; educated, illiterate; religious, atheist; you find people within every social stratum who in spite of circumstances and environment have chosen to differentiate themselves from all others within that class.

Thus you find among the illiterate, some who are enlightened; among the poor, those who have something left over to give to their fellows; among the unemployed those who keep seeking and making opportunities. The point is that humans have a certain thing which makes us different from animal, we can be proactive - we can take responsibility.

Think about it, which is more empowering? Surrendering to environment and blaming other for your woes or taking responsibility for what lies within your reach and using that as a lever to pull yourself out? Which makes you feel more of a human being?

Finally, if we did not have the power to change our lives, God would have no right to judge us and we would not have the psychological need for reward and acknowledgement.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by djon78(m): 6:55pm On Apr 30, 2012
thomas edison the great man who discovered electric bulb tried 999 times before he could get light. if he had given up he would not have discovered the great invetion.

the guy talking about dangote from rich family, well there are also very rich billionires that came from poverty but against all odds became rich. while there are poeple born into rich family background but ended up poor. so poverty is choice, if u fold your hands and do nothing u have already choosen poverty, but if u wake up everyday, trying, striving despite the challenges life throws at u, in the end u will get out of poverty
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Jawn(m): 7:02pm On Apr 30, 2012
kcswat: :owonders!!! So bluetooth can reason like this..
Before nko ? What do u call him ?
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Apr 30, 2012
I think remaining poor is a choice. what would you say about people from poor homes who end up making it big in life? Luck? magic? Nope! They worked their ass off to get to what ever position they attained mehn. I think If you want a better financial status and start at an early stage(make hay when da sun shines cool), with the right choices/attitude you can turn your situation around (unless if you are a nuder some damn curse angry) I have seen men with poor income, "PRODUCING" kids like they they were at some babies' factory (six kids with no adequate income! angry), how can someone who make such bad choices break out of poverty circle Remaining poor IS A CHOICE, my friends and I are living witnesses.

1 Like

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Blackbody20(m): 7:08pm On Apr 30, 2012
crackhouse: Yeah, he said it cos he believes poverty is a choice made by poor people. Probably the man was poor before venturing into church business and now he have found out that church business pays and that he would have remain poor if he had not made that choice. I think that is the reason why he said so.
ha ha ha ha ha ha. U wan kill me bro.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by bittyend(m): 7:10pm On Apr 30, 2012
Everything depends on your DESTINY!!!
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by victorazy(m): 7:16pm On Apr 30, 2012
Capital YES but unknowingly ppl choose to be poor. I gat 101 reasons to prove that just send me E-mail and I will forward it to you.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 30, 2012
crackhouse: Yeah, he said it cos he believes poverty is a choice made by poor people. Probably the man was poor before venturing into church business and now he have found out that church business pays and that he would have remain poor if he had not made that choice. I think that is the reason why he said so.

LWKM grin grin ah ah ah badoo
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by levos2007(m): 7:22pm On Apr 30, 2012
Wealth is an opportunity and poverty is lack of opportunity,even the bible talks about destiny,bad destiny can be change by grace, even thou for you to believe that you are rich when you are poor its an opportunity, and if you eventually get rich, then you are density to be.

Daniel Drew-9th century contemporary of Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt whose wealth at one time would have exceeded $100 million in today's money but who died indigent and receiving charity from a church he started

Horace A.W. Tabor- made millions from his silver mines, but between lavish spending and an expensive divorce and, most of all, the repeal of the Silver Purchase Act (i.e. the government stopped buying and minting silver) he died indigent working at a post office for which he had donated the land. His much younger widow Elizabeth "Baby Doe" Tabor, is a western legend though most of it based on fact: she was a locally famous beauty and showgirl before she became his mistress, was a flashy trophy wife during their early marriage. She stayed with him when he went broke and after he died she moved to one of his mines where she lived in a shack and dressed like a man, mining enough silver to keep her in booze and food and then being dead for days before she was found.
Wealth is not a choice, its by chance and grace. The bible say, i will have mercy unto who i will have mercy on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Where Was God During The Rwandan Genocide ? / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? / Part 3: Pastor To Atheist: Ask Me Any Question I Will Answer If Safe For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.