Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! (1699 Views)

Inside The 100,000 Seat Auditorium Bishop Oyedepo Is Planning To Build / Goshen360 And Tbaba. Pharisees Of Different Religions / List Of Nairaland Pharisees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by Enigma(m): 2:19pm On Apr 29, 2012
In Matthew 23 we read:

1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must obey them and do everything they tell you . . .

Does this mean that the followers of Jesus' teachings today are to follow the Pharisees' interpretation of the Bible?

Of course not! It is wholly misconceived to assume or suggest that Christians in particular are to defer to the authority of the Pharisees in the interpretation of the Bible.

Firstly, the Pharisees were of course concerned with the Old Testament and, especially, the law aspect of it. It is a non-starter to suggest that Christians should follow the Pharisees when it comes to interpreting the New Testament in particular. The Pharisees, in general, did not even believe in Jesus anyway. They even went as far as to say that He had a demon and did His works by the power of Beelzebub.

Matthew 12:24
But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.”

Are these the kind of people that Christians are to follow when trying to understand or interprete the teachings of Jesus?

But then what about on the Old Testament, are Christians to follow the Pharisees' understanding, interpretation and teachings on the Old Testament?

Let us start with this "they sit in Moses' seat" business. There are at least two ways of looking at this. One view is that Jesus was not even recognising the Pharisees legitimate authority in fact but was pointing out that they had usurped Moses' position and arrogated authority to themselves to interprete the law and judge people based on that usurpation. Thus some Bible versions have a rendering in similar vein to the NASB:
"The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses.

A second view is that Jesus did in fact recognise the Pharisees' authority to interprete and judge based on the law. Either way Jesus did say: "So you must obey them and do everything they tell you."

Whichever of the two views is taken of the Pharisees' sitting in Moses' seat, it is consistent and legitimate to interprete the "do whatever they tell you part" as meaning something like 'as long as they have (legitimate or illegitimate) authority to interprete the law and judge you on it' do what they say. This is similar to going to court and losing the case even though you were in the right: it may still be in your best interest to obey the judge nevertheless or you risk being held in contempt of court.

Again the question: does this mean that Christians in particular are to follow the Pharisees when it comes to interpreting and understanding the Old Testament?

Again the answer is a resounding: "Of course not!" Let us see why.

Firstly, Jesus said in the same Matthew 23: 1-2
But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

The objector will say it is only what they do that we are not to follow, we are to follow what they preach! WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let us go back a little before returning to Matthew 23.

In Matthew 15:6 Jesus said that these same Pharisees, by their teachings
{they} nullify the word of God for the sake of {their} tradition.

Are those the kind of people that we are to follow when interpreting the word of God ----- even in the Old Testament, which they nullify by their tradition in their teachings?

In Matthew 15:12-14, Jesus called the Pharisees blind guides:
12 Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?” 13 He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. 14 Leave them; they are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit.

Again, are those the kind of people to follow when interpreting and trying to understand the Old Testament?

OK then, let us return to Matthew 23. We have already seen in verse 2 that Jesus told His disciples not to do as the Pharisees. Even more striking is that Jesus pronounced no less than seven woes on these same Pharisees in that very chapter! Let us look at some of these woes.

Matthew 23:13
13 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

Matthew 23:15
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are.

Matthew 23:16,17
“Woe to you, blind guides! . . . You blind fools! . . ."

I will leave out the other woes but then I will also point out that both Jesus and John the Baptist called the Pharisees snakes/vipers!

Again, are the Pharisees the kind of people that Christians should be following when it comes to interpreting and even understanding the Old Testament?

Of course, Christians can learn from understandings of the Old Testament in the times close to when Jesus lived. These understandings could of course come from the Pharisees and others be they Sadducees or whatever.

However, it is a different thing altogether to suggest to Christians today that the Pharisees hold any particular position of authority when it comes to interpreting the Old Testament. It is a seriously misguided and dangerous position to hold!

As an aside, this little exercise also points to the importance of sound biblical hermeneutics e.g. "scripture interpretes scripture" etc, rather than forming doctrine out of a single verse without sufficiently due consideration.

cool

1 Like

Re: Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by Enigma(m): 12:14pm On Apr 30, 2012
Matthew 16

5 When they went across the lake, the disciples forgot to take bread. 6 “Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”
7 They discussed this among themselves and said, “It is because we didn’t bring any bread.”
8 Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, “You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? 9 Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 11 How is it you don’t understand that I was not talking to you about bread? But be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that he was not telling them to guard against the yeast used in bread, but against the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

cool

1 Like

Re: Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by debosky(m): 1:25pm On Apr 30, 2012
What aspects of the Pharisees' teaching/interpretation of the OT do you consider as those we are [i]not [/i]to learn from/obey?
Re: Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by Enigma(m): 1:46pm On Apr 30, 2012
This thread is about something far more important than individual teachings of the Pharisees! It is primarily about whether Christians should defer to any perceived authority of the Pharisees on the interpretation of the Old Testament especially. In terms of individual teachings, you can see Jesus Himself telling people to jettison Pharisaic teachings/interpretations --- just follow for example His "ye have heard etc" sayings.

cool
Re: Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by debosky(m): 1:56pm On Apr 30, 2012
I see - I asked the question in case there was a specific teaching or practice you had an issue with.

In your experience, are there widespread claims in churches today that Christians should follow Pharisaic teaching/interpretation? I am personally not aware of such, beyond the selective teaching by some focusing on tithes, firstfruits, etc. which aren't necessarily based on Pharisaic interpretation.
Re: Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by Enigma(m): 2:06pm On Apr 30, 2012
@debosky

In terms of the authority of the Pharisees on interpretation of the old Testament, I wouldn't say it is a widesread claim. However, what prompted this thread is that, rather alarmingly, I have seen that viewpoint of the Pharisees' authority pushed on nairaland in the last few weeks.

I guess in terms of individual things, we do have Christians who prefer to follow the Pharisees' line (consciously/unconsciously) for whatever reason --- the tithing thing being an example (even though the modern "tithing" is a gross departure from if not bastardisation of what the Pharisees actually taught/did). On the other hand, one could point to more "crazy" things like Paula White and Eddie Long's use of shawls and other shenanigans. smiley

cool
Re: Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by debosky(m): 2:13pm On Apr 30, 2012
Thanks for your clear and concise response - much appreciated.

I think readers would benefit even more if some of these individual practices/interpretations were highlighted. That way, there is a practical benefit in addition to clearing up of any doctrinal confusion in this area.
Re: Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by Enigma(m): 2:16pm On Apr 30, 2012
debosky

You have a point but please trust and take my word that I have quite good reason for not pointing to any individual teaching. smiley

cool
Re: Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by Nobody: 12:56am On Dec 18, 2012
Good thread. Certainly did open my eyes to new angles on what Jesus said.
Re: Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by Nobody: 1:18am On Dec 18, 2012
Ihedinobi: Good thread. Certainly did open my eyes to new angles on what Jesus said.

Question is when will you stop reinventing what jesus said and start living a christian life?

1 Like

Re: Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by Nobody: 1:23am On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

Question is when will you stop reinventing what jesus said and start living a christian life?

I did that?
Re: Pharisees Sit In Moses' Seat! by Image123(m): 2:37pm On Dec 18, 2012
it's basically a command to be subject to authority. There be many a discontent fellas who break up with their group of 'believers' over any garri issue. Jesus Himself learned obedience and was subject to imperfect parents, attended religious events. So also, the apostles even after the ascension.

(1) (Reply)

Between Atheist And Computer / Who Is The General Overseer? / Where Was Satan When GOD Firstly Destroy This Planet Earth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.