Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do (2951 Views)

Your Toughest Algorithm / Ludo Game Algorithm Wanted For AI Project / Algorithm For Solving Systems Of Linear Equations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 3:18pm On Apr 29, 2012
Just in case you've been to church and the pastor has made another promise s/he can't keep (what's the deal with that guy who is always "coming back?" They've been saying this since I was in my mom's kinker) -- now you can finally revenge, cook up some algorithm, set things on fire and promise him/her you're an Elijah.

Anyways, Stanford University (one of the world's best Comp Sc. dept.), is offering their "Design and Analysis of Algorithms" FREE, online -- gosh, learn from the best of the best -- and maybe, just maybe, we can prevent some pastors from making false promises: https://www.coursera.org/course/algo

Disclaimer: A lot of the common algorithms are mostly built into popular programming language....
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Fayimora(m): 3:30pm On Apr 29, 2012
Just as a side note directed towards beginners, there is no point studying the analysis of algorithms if you dont understand the algorithms themselves.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 4:37pm On Apr 29, 2012
Fayimora: Just as a side note directed towards beginners, there is no point studying the analysis of algorithms if you dont understand the algorithms themselves.

^^ Very true, a better link should have been: https://www.coursera.org/category/cs (Algorithm I & II, been much more approachable)

And one particularly intriguing is: https://www.coursera.org/course/saas (where they even used Rails)
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by dansmog(m): 5:38pm On Apr 29, 2012
delomos:

^^ Very true, a better link should have been: https://www.coursera.org/category/cs (Algorithm I & II, been much more approachable)

And one particularly intriguing is: https://www.coursera.org/course/saas (where they even used Rails)
thanks for this link. but the prerequisite needed is a basic programming sense in java and i only have started programming in python just on friday. ( the day before yesterday).
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Kobojunkie: 7:40pm On Apr 29, 2012
dansmog++:

thanks for this link. but the prerequisite needed is a basic programming sense in java and i only have started programming in python just on friday. ( the day before yesterday).

I have gone through the module myself and yes, basic programming is good enough to get on this. You do not need to have algorithm skills before hand. The man gives you a brief introduction at the beginning to get you started.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by csharpjava(m): 9:45pm On Apr 29, 2012
delomos:
No offense but often Professors live in their heads,

Design and Analysis of Algorithms I
By: Tim Roughgarden, Associate Professor
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 10:31pm On Apr 29, 2012
csharpjava:

Design and Analysis of Algorithms I
By: Tim Roughgarden, Associate Professor

Yes they do. And your point is...?

Actually, before you go off, watch this TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html (luckily, Sir Robinson is referencing Brick and Motors)
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Kobojunkie: 11:29pm On Apr 29, 2012
delomos:

Yes they do. And your point is...?

Actually, before you go off, watch this TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html (luckily, Sir Robinson is referencing Brick and Motors)

Because someone goes on TED to say schools kills creativity means no one should go to school then? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 1:16am On Apr 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Because someone goes on TED to say schools kills creativity means no one should go to school then? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
It means one should question the status quo... (usually hat notion that schooling is a path to success, sure Uni marketers love that) not to mention, in many personal life, there is almost an inverse relationship between school and creativity ( and on a slightly comical note, you should follow "PHD Comics", http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php -- whose main subject is off academia) -- IMO (to which I strongly agree w/ SKR), school is designed for scholars.

And a follow-up, he did a bit after:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U , which quite frankly even if you disagree sorely with his points, it gets you thinking.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Fayimora(m): 1:46am On Apr 30, 2012
I do understand that you don't need to be good at algorithms to take that course, however, they(at least 50% of what you would see) wouldn't really make sense. You would also need basic-intermediate level maths. I helped a friend that took the course and I felt for her.

I did my math and I realised that it is always better to use to book to get started on algorithms, that's if you ain't in a physical class of course. It might not work for everyone but I believe it works for at least 8 out of 10 people.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 2:00am On Apr 30, 2012
Fayimora: I do understand that you don't need to be good at algorithms to take that course, however, they(at least 50% of what you would see) wouldn't really make sense. You would also need basic-intermediate level maths. I helped a friend that took the course and I felt for her.

I did my math and I realised that it is always better to use to book to get started on algorithms, that's if you ain't in a physical class of course. It might not work for everyone but I believe it works for at least 8 out of 10 people.

^^ Two particularly great ones being: http://www.amazon.com/Algorithms-Nutshell-In-OReilly/dp/059651624X && http://www.amazon.com/Algorithm-Design-Manual-Steve-Skiena/dp/0387948600 ( <<this a lot more academic)
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Fayimora(m): 2:12am On Apr 30, 2012
Cool. If you are total n00b then you can start with some good language-centric ones. For instance Algorithms by Robert Sedgewick or Data Structures and Algorithms by Goodrich and Tamasia. The former uses Java while the latter comes in 2 versions, one in Java and one in C++. Find one that suits your purpose. if you not a n00b to programming(advanced beginner) and you are a math veteran like me, then I love Introduction to Algorithms AKA CLRS.

Sorry I couldn't place the links to the books. I am writin from my iPad which is a bit inconvenient. Would modify the post when I get on a computer.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Kobojunkie: 7:04am On Apr 30, 2012
delomos:
It means one should question the status quo... (usually hat notion that schooling is a path to success, sure Uni marketers love that) not to mention, in many personal life, there is almost an inverse relationship between school and creativity ( and on a slightly comical note, you should follow "PHD Comics", http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php -- whose main subject is off academia) -- IMO (to which I strongly agree w/ SKR), school is designed for scholars.

Wait a second . . . you are telling me that you only just realized that you ought to question the status quo, and so posting a TED video with some dude video expressing his OPINION on a matter, changes what many have come to learn and accept as their truth for hundreds of years? undecided undecided undecided

Yes, schooling is not for everyone,in fact, advancement is not for every mind out there, that is why you find those who live content working as janitors, not even knowing to add 1 and 2, but it would be MORONIC to conclude that NO ONE benefits from schooling and schools as they are today. I cannot believe someone would come on programming board to spew this sort of trash.

And please stop derailing threads on here with all this your nonsense logic. I can pick out at least 4 different threads where you have about done the very same.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by lordZOUGA(m): 8:22am On Apr 30, 2012
@Kobojunkie, yea? Seriously? The school system has been working? Where everyone is taught how to think like their instructor and then forced to learn a bunch of useless junk that the person won't probably use throughout his life... When has the last worthwhile invention been recorded? You actually think that schools bring advancement? Doesn't it bother you that most technological advancements or inventions are achieved outside the school premises or by drop-outs? Advancement is part of evolution schools doesn't dish it out.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Kobojunkie: 8:39am On Apr 30, 2012
lordZOUGA: @Kobojunkie, yea? Seriously? The school system has been working? Where everyone is taught how to think like their instructor and then forced to learn a bunch of useless junk that the person won't probably use throughout his life... When has the last worthwhile invention been recorded? You actually think that schools bring advancement? Doesn't it bother you that most technological advancements or inventions are achieved outside the school premises or by drop-outs? Advancement is part of evolution schools doesn't dish it out.

Again with the lame-brained assumptions. So you think countries like India, China, Finland, etc, where MILLIONS of people have been educated and given a new lease on life, would agree with your suggestions above that Education only teaches people how to think like their instructors?

You know what? I am not here to engage in any lazy-man logic on here. If you are anti-education, don't bother spreading that on a thread that was created to help EDUCATE people. Go find your fellow lazy men somewhere else to spill that nonsense to.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 9:35am On Apr 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:
You know what? I am not here to engage in any lazy-man logic on here. If you are anti-education, don't bother spreading that on a thread that was created to help EDUCATE people. Go find your fellow lazy men somewhere else to spill that nonsense to.

And please stop derailing threads on here with all this your nonsense logic. I can pick out at least 4 different threads where you have about done the very same.

I'm glad you're keeping count, but really, you sure have better things to do with your time; but that's another derailing.

Educa-t[e]ion: from the word "educare" which means "to bring up", from e- "out" and ducere "to lead; to bring forward". This is certainly not synonymous with "schooling," which in some cases raise convergent thinking -- but that's not really the issue.

I think it's safe to say that the marginality schooling creates doesn't work, after a certain tipping point of [a country or individual] economic status. Case in point, few years ago, if you wanted to learn about algorithm, your only option was to take some difficult Math classes which are pre-reqs to Algo classes, solve arcane problems, then if you're lucky you'd remember anything after the semester.

That could be a great model for test-takers or folks great at math, what happens to the folks who aren't great at taking tests, sorry, you didn't make the "pre-req."

But again, that's nullified by me being lazy, which I must admit, I quite am, excellent observation mate! Now I just need to find a few lazymen who hopefully their emotion and esteem isn't tied to their beliefs.

P.S. An interesting read for you might be Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers: the Story of Success" which looks through what really "brings one out"
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by lordZOUGA(m): 11:33am On Apr 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Again with the lame-brained assumptions. So you think countries like India, China, Finland, etc, where MILLIONS of people have been educated and given a new lease on life, would agree with your suggestions above that Education only teaches people how to think like their instructors?

you are either too dumb to understand what am trying to say or you are too ignorant to think about it.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by okeyxyz(m): 6:10pm On Apr 30, 2012
the link to TED was very thought provoking & a message to people(maybe not for everybody, but it was useful to me) who are capable of applying it's principles to their lives. thanks @delemos for posting.

For those who are troubled(@kobojunkie) that he advocates for people not to go to school or others who might follow it over-zealously(@lordzouga) by banishing schools from their lives, You both couldn't be more wrong. At no point during this guys talk did he advocate for any school system to be dismantled, his argument was simply that schooling objectives have been too narrow, targeting only a small percentage of human & creative values , while disregarding a vast wealth of potentials that should be developed. the school system is over-valuing few forms of knowlege that these days, even a bachelors degree may not be enough to get you the suitable employment, thus masters degrees & doctorates have become a big multi-million dollar industry(there are universities in UK\US who generate more than half their revenues through post-graduate programs), and all to what end? it's not as if these masters\phd's are breaking new grounds that will revolutionalize industry, but simply that everybody is struggling to be more qualified\certified\learned than the other.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Kobojunkie: 6:49pm On Apr 30, 2012
okeyxyz: the link to TED was very thought provoking & a message to people(maybe not for everybody, but it was useful to me) who are capable of applying it's principles to their lives. thanks @delemos for posting.

For those who are troubled(@kobojunkie) that he advocates for people not to go to school or others who might follow it over-zealously(@lordzouga) by banishing schools from their lives, You both couldn't be more wrong. At no point during this guys talk did he advocate for any school system to be dismantled, his argument was simply that schooling objectives have been too narrow, targeting only a small percentage of human & creative values , while disregarding a vast wealth of potentials that should be developed.

Um . . . NO WHERE did Kobojunkie assert that the man in the video suggest that schools should be dismantled. Please be sure to at least pay attention to what is actually being said and to whom, before you jump right in.

What Kobojunkie said is . . .
Kobojunkie:

Wait a second . . . you are telling me that you only just realized that you ought to question the status quo, and so posting a TED video with some dude video expressing his OPINION on a matter, changes what many have come to learn and accept as their truth for hundreds of years? undecided undecided undecided

Yes, schooling is not for everyone,in fact, advancement is not for every mind out there, that is why you find those who live content working as janitors, not even knowing to add 1 and 2, but it would be MORONIC to conclude that NO ONE benefits from schooling and schools as they are today. I cannot believe someone would come on programming board to spew this sort of trash.

If anything, the man in the video is actually advocating for a bettering of the current education system, something that many across the globe has been working seriously on for the past couple of decades. There are different approaches to tackling this problem and this man only speaks of nurturing creative instincts of the kids(something that REMAINS easier said that done), others take a different approach. No matter what, Education is a pivotal part of our development, not just as individuals but as groups, nations and a world and countries like China, India, Finland, seem to be getting it right.

Please note the difference . . . Now can we get back to the topic and Algorithm Design and Analysis course IN PEACE . . . .
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 8:34pm On Apr 30, 2012
okeyxyz:
.... thought provoking & a message to people(maybe not for everybody, but it was useful to me) who are capable of applying it's principles to their lives.

..... it's not as if these masters\phd's are breaking new grounds that will revolutionalize industry, but simply that everybody is struggling to be more qualified\certified\learned than the other.
^^ Applaudissements permanent Monsieur! I'm content, very content, at least someone gets it.

In fact, this thread provides the point for the [hidden] illness of the status quo of [formal] educating -- "there is only one right, and it's at the back of the book, but don't look."..Now can we get back to the topic and Algorithm Design and Analysis course IN PEACE", don't you see how this thread and its respective replies relates to Algorithm, do you see the pattern? Why should it be linear? Why?

Let your mind roam mate.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by SoftVersion(m): 9:53am On May 07, 2012
I remember a quote from a professor at the University of Sydney or so... “Nothing worth knowing can really be taught“ “...you learn it“. Whatever meaning it implies you, just think it over.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by ektbear: 2:08pm On May 07, 2012
Fayimora: Just as a side note directed towards beginners, there is no point studying the analysis of algorithms if you dont understand the algorithms themselves.

I don't agree with this. You need to be comfortable with things like big-oh and some basic math and know how to program a bit.

You can get a lot out of an algorithms course w/o tons of prior algorithms experience. Having not seen or used quicksort/mergesort before doesn't prevent you from absorbing a lecture on it.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 4:38pm On May 07, 2012
ekt_bear:

I don't agree with this. You need to be comfortable with things like big-oh and some basic math and know how to program a bit.

You can get a lot out of an algorithms course w/o tons of prior algorithms experience. Having not seen or used quicksort/mergesort before doesn't prevent you from absorbing a lecture on it.

Don't you think it's rather challenging to really analyze an Algorithm if you've never encountered it? (I agree, not implemented it) And most's in A/Ds knowledge of some algo and programming --
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by ektbear: 5:19pm On May 07, 2012
Well, there is no way to have encountered all possible algorithms in life.

And it is sort of hard to expect people to have seen all algorithms that appear in an algorithms class before even taking it.

The point of an algorithms class it to teach you some good ways to approach different problems, general techniques that work, recognize certain patterns...it isn't really about memorizing algorithms.

Take mergesort for example. If Person A has seen it before, he has an advantage over Person B, who hasn't. However, they aren't taking the class to master mergesort. But instead to master the more general principle of divide and conquer.

Like, you don't want to be the guy who has seen mergesort before and has memorized it, but then doesn't know how to generalize it to cases where you break up the list into K chunks (K-way mergesort rather than 2-way mergesort.)

If you understand divide and conquer, you can analyse K-way mergesort easily. If you only understand mergesort, you might not be able to.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by ektbear: 5:25pm On May 07, 2012
I'm actually taking an algorithms class now myself (mainly to improve my job prospects for when I enter the market in a few months).

I had some of the same concerns as you, that I'd be at a major disadvantage because I'm not a CS guy, don't have any actual background in the stuff besides some classes in high school.

But I don't think it is a disadvantage to not have seen some of these things before.

Just watch the videos, read the assigned readings and do the homeworks and you'll probably get a lot out of it.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 5:53pm On May 07, 2012
delomos: In my experience, the Algo classes thought in Uni, are too theoretical for real world application (same goes to most Uni approach to Design Patterns and/or OO).

Now that SERIOUSLY depends on the university! wink
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by ektbear: 6:04pm On May 07, 2012
Yeah, you are right actually. There is a big difference between algorithms as taught in a university class (which is more about concepts, learning general ideas) and algorithms at some companies.

Some companies just want you to memorize algorithm stuff.

But to be honest, the top companies, the ones that pay the most, when interviewing expect you to do puzzles and stuff. The university class I think is really helpful for the "puzzle" companies, but probably not that useful for the "memorize" companies.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 6:06pm On May 07, 2012
ekt_bear:

But to be honest, the top companies, the ones that pay the most, when interviewing expect you to do puzzles and stuff. The university class I think is really helpful for the "puzzle" companies, but probably not that useful for the "memorize" companies.

Again from experience, they will actually ask you about Algo/DS + puzzles
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by ektbear: 6:11pm On May 07, 2012
I guess my experience has been a bit different. Mostly it was puzzles...not just "what is the running time of quicksort, what is a heap data structure, implement a linked list on the board" type of questions.

Then again, it doesn't hurt to memorize those things. But you won't get the best jobs with that alone, I think
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 6:51pm On May 07, 2012
ekt_bear:
.....But you won't get the best jobs with that alone, I think
Certainly not, those are just preliminary filters.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Fayimora(m): 3:28am On May 08, 2012
@ekt I understand what you are trying to say but I am talking from experience not assumption or just a wild guess(not saying that is what you are doing). I have been teaching 5 different modules for over a year now and this is ALWAYS the case. I can't go into further details cause I signed an NDA. You cannot analyze something PROPERLY when you dont know how it works! This is just a general case btw. Someone that is super keen would!(by going back a bit to fil up gaps wink)

Yes I know the big picture is Dynamic Programming but what do you know about dynamic programming that makes you think you can just analyze it? You MUST(no?) have a good understanding of what you are about to analyze. There is a reason why such courses require you to have good programming background!
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Fayimora(m): 3:34am On May 08, 2012
delomos: In my experience, the Algo classes thought in Uni, are too theoretical for real world application (same goes to most Uni approach to Design Patterns and/or OO).

Now that SERIOUSLY depends on the university! wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Quadratic Equation Solving App I Developed In Python / Get A Custom Website For As Low As 5k (Check Thread For My Portfolio) / Here Is Why You Should First Learn Python As A Beginner In Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.