Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Mensa IQ Riddle - Forum Games (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Forum Games / Mensa IQ Riddle (16265 Views)

Test Your IQ With This Brain Teaser / Test Your IQ / Ask Tough Iq Questions. Whoever Gets The Current Question Asks The Next (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by pkasso(m): 1:24pm On Jun 28, 2011
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by Tantor: 2:44am On Jun 29, 2011
1 to st ives and your liar and truth guy would still point to opposite paths.

1 Like

Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by Emeka72(m): 5:20am On Jul 01, 2011
@OP mensah; the question I will ask is are you kidnapping Me?
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by ericltd88: 12:48pm On Jul 02, 2011
ask them to start walking to my home after you get there come back. Only one would return.
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by Aaronmilner: 2:12am On Oct 30, 2012
I highly doubt anyone will ever look at this topic again, but I am in Mensa and I create amazing riddles for my coworkers everyday. It's safe to say I take way too much pride in riddlery, haha.

You ask either one, "if I ask the other guy how to get home, what will he say?" The liar will tell you the wrong door, because he'd say the opposite of what the truth-teller would say. The truth-teller would also say the wrong door, because he knows the liar will lie. You'd only have to ask one of them one question, and you'd just have to know to go in the opposite door from the one they give you when asking them what the other would say.

Follow me on twitter and Instagram for riddles and other genius. @aaronmilner

2 Likes

Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by timifakay(m): 10:12pm On Nov 05, 2012
thanks @aaronmilner.
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by zeveyah: 1:34pm On Nov 21, 2012
I'm always too late for these..
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by zeveyah: 1:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
[quote author=zeveyah]I'm always too late for these..
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by ahflirt23: 6:32pm On Feb 21, 2013
Lord_Reed: How is this a trick question or a riddle? If the truth gut tells the truth always then and the liar always lies then the simple question which way leads to death will get you home. How much IQ do you need for that?

Dig this riddle:

As I was going to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives
Each wife had seven sacks
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks, wives
How many were going to St Ives?

Lord Reed, sorry but you are wrong. If you ask the liar guy which way leads to death, he will point to the way which leads home. If you ask the truth guy, he will point the way which leads to death. They will point at different directions.

Answer to your question.. 1.. took me 1 sec..

1 Like

Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by ahflirt23: 6:33pm On Feb 21, 2013
nuggard: This is a practical question I see no reason to even theorize it, I'll show my hands (both) to one of them and ask." do I have 5 fingers on each hand" if he says yes. then  he says the truth so I ask Liar which way is home, and go in the opposite direction.

liar on the other hand will obviously lie and say you have six fingers, so I go to truth and ask him the way home.

QED

In case you are interested in my theory it says establish the vera/vericityspelling of the obvious and apply the rules of logical conclusion.

you can only ask 1 question.. not 2..
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by ahflirt23: 6:34pm On Feb 21, 2013
broccx: ask each of them what the other would say then, go the other way.

if "Road A" were the way home
and
"Road B" to Certain Death

ask the "Truth Guy": where would the "Liar Guy" point if I asked him the way home? "Truth Guy" would point to "ROAD B"

then

ask the "Liar Guy": where would the "Truth Guy" point if I asked him the way home? "Liar Guy" would point to "ROAD B"

both of them would point to the certain death road, you just go the other way. simple really.

if you know which one is the truth guy from the beginning, then won't just asking him which way is the way home will solve your problem??
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by GrayD: 4:01am On Apr 12, 2013
Here are my assumptions based on the riddle

1.) you can only ask one question which you can pose to both at once.
2.) you have no idea which guy is the liar or the truth teller. If you know who is the truth teller and the liar it is easier.

Arbitrarily choose a road and ask them both: " If I asked you does this road lead me home, would you say yes?" - If it is the way home, the truth guy will obviously say yes. The liar will also be forced to say yes; this is because this question is something the liar would normally answer no to, but you've also then asked "would be say yes" - so here he cannot say no because then he would be honest about being a liar and since he cannot be honest he would be forced to answer yes.

Conversely if it were not the right road, the truth guy would say no, and in the same fashion the liar would be forced to say no since he would normally lie and say the wrong way is the right way, but because he cannot admit that he would do that he must lie about the fact that he would lie, and that would lead to a no answer to the death road.

This way you either get double yes or double no and then chose the right road accordingly.
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by Xxpolxx: 2:08am On Apr 29, 2013
Ask either of the guys 'if I asked you yesterday which is the right way, what road would you show me?'

The truthful guy will show the right way.

The liar guy will be forced to show the wrong way
That's because yesterday he would've shown you the right way but since he doesn't speak truth at all he'd say that yesterday he'd have shown you the right way (which is opposite of what he'd actually show yesterday) x
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by sKeetz(m): 3:03am On Apr 30, 2013
Omo see theories! cheesy
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 16, 2016
Please which way did you point the last person that came to asked you about the way home?

Both should point to the same path (the way home).

Reasons: the liar would definitely lie, while the truth-teller would maintained his/her previous stand.
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 19, 2016
which way will the other guy say leads home...

1 Like

Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 19, 2016
GodmanA:
Please which way did you point the last person that came to asked you about the way home?

Both should point to the same path (the way home).

Reasons: the liar would definitely lie, while the truth-teller would maintained his/her previous stand.

what if there was no last person...
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by cooljoe(m): 9:14am On Dec 20, 2016
LordReed:
How is this a trick question or a riddle? If the truth gut tells the truth always then and the liar always lies then the simple question which way leads to death will get you home. How much IQ do you need for that?

Dig this riddle:

As I was going to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives
Each wife had seven sacks
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks, wives
How many were going to St Ives?
only 1(u).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by broccx: 6:43pm On May 10, 2017
ahflirt23:

if you know which one is the truth guy from the beginning, then won't just asking him which way is the way home will solve your problem??

There is no need to know which is which in my solution, they'll both point in the same direction
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by broccx: 6:46pm On May 10, 2017
Aaronmilner:
I highly doubt anyone will ever look at this topic again, but I am in Mensa and I create amazing riddles for my coworkers everyday. It's safe to say I take way too much pride in riddlery, haha.

You ask either one, "if I ask the other guy how to get home, what will he say?" The liar will tell you the wrong door, because he'd say the opposite of what the truth-teller would say. The truth-teller would also say the wrong door, because he knows the liar will lie. You'd only have to ask one of them one question, and you'd just have to know to go in the opposite door from the one they give you when asking them what the other would say.

So, i was right!
Re: Mensa IQ Riddle by broccx: 6:57pm On May 10, 2017
Tantor:
broccx answer assumes you know which person is the truth teller and which is the liar, if you knew which was which you would not have the problem in the first place. Also you have to ask each the same question.

it's actually the same question also, there is no need to know who the liar is in my solution.

Please read it again

Turns out it was the correct answer too!

Aaronmilner:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Names Of Nairaland Users Alphabetically. / Riddle Me This: / For People With Sharp Eyes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.