Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,715 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Is Life Really Better Abroad? - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Really Better Abroad? (43763 Views)

Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better off Than Their Home Based Counterparts? / Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better Than Their Home Based Counterpart / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Lady2(f): 12:54am On Apr 22, 2008
@rite2salas

I think I smell sarcasm, correct me if I'm wrong.

But if u talk sey
no mosquitoes /roaches/rats as your room mates

omo come my school na. When roach salute u ehn, u sef, by force, by force go salute back.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ebonyj(f): 3:25pm On Apr 22, 2008
If you are wealthy , NO. On the other hand if you are poor and struggling then yes life is better abroad.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by rite2salas(m): 4:49pm On Apr 22, 2008
~Lady~

lol where u at grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by bigbumper(f): 10:02pm On Apr 22, 2008
rite2salas:

life abroad is better than life in Naija taims(x) hundred. everything is at your beck and call.
rite2salas link=topic=9278.msg2177981#msg2177981 date=1208812129:

no power outages/up nepa

~ If you forget to purchase electricity, you would sleep in the dark.

rite2salas:

no molues

~ Overcrowded and smelly trains which would be illegal if used to transport animals

rite2salas:

no area boys/conductors

~ teenage yobs, who would kick your head like a football or happy-slap you for no reason

rite2salas:

no mosquitoes /roaches/rats as your room mates

~ plenty roaches and rats hence the reason for Environmental Health Enforcement Officers

rite2salas:

no pure water

~ River Thames that shit gets emptied into, yet is barely treated before finding its way into the taps.

rite2salas:

no gutter

~ flooding galore

rite2salas:

no fake stuffs (except u go to china town ) cheesy

~ "you wan dvds, four for £10" no be fake stuff?
rite2salas:

no waki ass home videos

~ thank God for cable cos otherwise it's just the usual tripe from BBC, ITV and Channel 5 that we have to pay TV licence for.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by EloSela(f): 3:58pm On Apr 23, 2008
Is life really better? I suppose that that is a subjective question.

It is better for me, but then again there are just some creature comforts that I can not live without. I like having constant power in my home as well as running water to be able to do basic things like flushing the toilet at will.

I do not like walking around and seeing beggars with small children on the street, darting in and out of traffic. I do not like to see cripples having to fend for themselves and I do not like seeing dead bodies on the road while people conduct their daily business around without a care in the world.

But then again, each to their own. cool

1 Like

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ztyle(m): 2:05am On Apr 24, 2008
LifE is KOol Abroad, No NePa TaKe LigHT   
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ufofex(m): 11:45am On Apr 29, 2008
@ poster: "Although, you might get paid a lot for working at six flags but, the government takes half your money for taxes. That's rough. Do Nigerians even pay taxes to the gov't?"

The answer to your question is yes (sometimes multiple), especially does in the formal sector. Talking about taxes, in 9ja most of the taxes paid to govt. end up in private pockets, there is nothing to show for the taxes hard working and sincere Nigerians pay other than;
no power
terrible roads
fallen standard of education
fallen standard of health care
no water, and the list goes on.
My dear we Nigerians would love and wish that life in 9ja is better here than abroad, but the stack reality is that, for the average Nigerian living in Nigeria, life is an excruciating struggle.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by PrincessMo(f): 12:25am On May 01, 2008
Man! This is ma favoritest topic by far
on nairaland! cheesy

For me, personally, Living in the UK, Europe and the US (I've lived everywhere)
has so many advantages and I'd much rather live out
here than in Nigeria. Doesn't mean I don't love ma home. . .
I'm jus being realistic and sayin how it is for me.
I love to visit home, eat excellent food, see old friends but at the
end of ma lil' vacation, I always am glad to be back to ma second home.
I probably won't move back to Nigeria because of ma family's situation
(ma baby's daddy's South African, I'm half mosotho (from Lesotho), Ma
baby's an EU citizen. . . ma man wud prefer that if we were moving away from
Europe that we'd probably move to South Africa) but I'll NEVER forget home.
Ma baby (I LOVE MA BABY!!) must kno that he has Nigerian roots and must
love it!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by carnal: 10:59am On Jul 22, 2008
@gaby, belive you me you are the bomb, i don't see any life abroad better than naija oo, i have never hv reasons to stay abroad more than a period of 6 months when i went on trainin in different countries,look life isn't better abroad i met naija people who i even hv to give a hand of feellowship and this were guys who made me reaslise they are living big when they visited naija,i was dumbfounded when i called on most of them without notice of me coming,when i was in the university i had friends who left for abroad immediately my dear people they are doing any where good, i am not rich ooo but with God i am comfortable but this guys hv noting to show off except slangs and pictures
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by adamsy07: 6:51pm On Jul 22, 2008
i think u are kidding even thou we pray for niger to be ok,wish we know will soon be,but for now don,t decieve urself we all know wat staying abroad is and we all miss home but i personally know that u are kidding,my guy if u are ripe enough go home but if not i advice u to stay and work more.
sherrif
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by carnal: 8:20am On Jul 23, 2008
@damsy07, look i am very surprise that we still have ppeople like you who believe abroad is better than naija, i have been to over 15 countries in the course of my working for one of the biggest oil companies in the world operating in naija i have met friends who left naija early enough as at when we graduated in 2000,but the question now what are they doing abroad?i am 100% comfortable here at home, i might not be rich but atleast i don't have to wash dead bodies,sweep,clean glasses or even arrange fake marriages all in the name of stabilizing,yes they all went abroad before me but they are either just in one country and never moved,i am home and have gone way far ahead i cried when i met a medical doctor who clean shoe abroad,haba health system in naija might be bad but i tell you if that guy happen to be in naija by now i am sure one these might must have loan him to set up a clinic,naija is improving it might not be the best yet but we will get there,go and read what GABY said,he actually said it all and let me ask a question if abroad is betetr why do i still go abroad and spend so much for my friends that has been there for years,they even envy me and i still wonder why
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Gamine(f): 9:31am On Jul 23, 2008
A Gecko in Nigeria

is still a Gecko Abroad

even though he may be on The White house walls
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by landis(m): 11:31am On Jul 23, 2008
simple answer:

somethings are LOST while somethings are GAINED.

it is not about better but are you HAPPY.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by adamsy07: 3:20pm On Jul 23, 2008
carnal,i ave not said abroad is better than home i said"if he his ripe enough he should go home"now listen i read through all your text,man let me tell you something you work in an oil firm good for you how many people graduated with u,is it all of them that ave the same opportunity as u ave?
i graduated from uniben as computer scientist for 3 years i could not find a job,untill i traveled and sat for another 1 year course abroad,and ave been doing fine ave also been to over 20 countries as a staff and i know wat you are saying the problem is illegal system of how our fellow bros stays abroad if you are legall i tell you.u wld work in your field and also be happy.
i know nigeria wld get there one day but i believe people still suffer cos the system works for people who ave conections.
the doctor you talked about,who wld grant him a loan,if he as no connection.
"life is all about where God has destined for you to make it,people travel by all means abroad do they try and think or pray about it for God to let them know if where they are going is meant for them.
it's not all nigerians leaving abroad that are shoe coblers,
so i thank God for my life and the lifes of every other nigerian in diasper it's not easy but life is all about risk.
carnal,am not rich too,but i can boast of my own international company in more than 5 countries.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 23, 2008
carnal:

@damsy07, look i am very surprise that we still have ppeople like you who believe abroad is better than naija
It depends on your situation wherever you are.

carnal:

i don't have to wash dead bodies,sweep,clean glasses or even arrange fake marriages all in the name of stabilizing
Not everybody living abroad wash dishes and dead bodies,I for one don't. I have a white collar job and I didn't have to enter a fake marriage arrangement with anyone to legalize my stay.

carnal:

i cried when i met a medical doctor who clean shoe abroad
Gone are the days when doctors shine shoes abroad o, they simply shine their eyes these days. They are in high demand everywhere. Unless of course the doctor was cargoed in to the country grin or he graduated from a mushroom college and can't face professional exams abroad.

carnal:

but they are either just in one country and never moved
Why move around like migratory birds if they are ok wherever they are?

carnal:

health system in naija might be bad but i tell you if that guy happen to be in naija by now i am sure one these might must have loan him to set up a clinic
One of which people would've helped him? you? who? How many people are willing to help a brother in distress? How about starting with the doctors dragging their feet about town wearing cheap 2-piece suits looking for investors. I bet you won't give that doctor a dime if he comes to you for help tomorrow.

carnal:

naija is improving it might not be the best yet but we will get there
Well, yes. . . but how many people are feeling it?

carnal:

if abroad is betetr why do i still go abroad and spend so much for my friends that has been there for years,they even envy me and i still wonder why

You probably misrepresented yourself by giving them the impression that you are very rich, or like I said earlier, it depends on their situation.

I am very passionate about naija, I love naija too much, but let's face it; life aint easy over there. You are comfortable, my mum is comfortable, my siblings are doing fine,  but what percentage of Nigerians are ok? A country where corruption has eaten deep in to our flesh, about 70% of our graduates are either unemployed or doing derogratory jobs, Hospitals are no go areas, people who can afford it have to travel abroad for proper diagnosis and treatment, Roads are horrible, portable water is a tall dream, electricity is a forgone issue and people have to sleep in darkness or get choked by the fumes of their generator, most people are hungry, angry and frustrated. . . Abroad, you get readily available buses to work, get on a train or opt for a decent taxi, water aint no tall dream, Electricity is constant, Health care is top priority, no incessant blaring of horns by frustrated drivers. . .  All these alone make people think twice about settling in naija especially if you've experienced both sides. I feel bad when I go to naija and I see kids running naked with mucus running down their noses with no shoes on!

I know there's no single country without its ups and downs but out of two evils, one is still better than the other. I'm a professional, I contribute to the economic growth of a foreign country and I really look forward to doing that for my own country soon.

landis:

simple answer: it is not about better but are you HAPPY.
You are so right.
Bottomline: Abroad is cool if your stay is legal. Make money and go back home. That way, you can enjoy life or get a good job like Carnal and tour the world  grin grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Sammy107d(m): 7:06am On Jul 25, 2008
God Bless Nigeria
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ayomifull(f): 11:06am On Jul 25, 2008
IS LIFE REALLY BETTER ABROAD?

There is QUALITY of life which is most important than having all the money in the world. It depends on individuals sha. While i only hold a temporary residence permit and i am happy living with no plan to return home in a hurry, my cousin who holds a British passport (by birth) is dying to relocate home after spending the first few years of his life in UK, back in Nigeria for his primary, secondary n uni educatn and returned to UK for the past 10 years. So u see it depends.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ty4real(m): 10:50pm On Jul 25, 2008
landis:

simple answer:

somethings are LOST while somethings are GAINED.

it is not about better but are you HAPPY.

grin cheesy grin

Yeah totally agree with you here mate.

But for real,Abroad is what you make of it,and I will be sincere,I prefer the life here cause it is more condusive for me ,I dont know about others,I am not praying that Nepa should not take off light,or I dont have to go and queue at the filling stattion to buy petrol to put in gen.But once things get beha in Nigeria why not,I will definitely come back now grin grin!No shaking!

For those saying,that some people are abroad are poor,blah blah,one thing I have seen here is that you can be here and not be where you will get information to move to the next level.As you need connection to make it Nigeria,You need to be connected to the right people to get quality information that will elevate your status!But from what I have seen,I prefer here to Nigeria.Here you see things as it should be. grin grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by kemmy100: 10:50am On Jul 26, 2008
oh jezz!! i thought that i woul never have to do this again, because of what has been told to nigerians in the past most of us now tend to see any place outside nigeria as a better place, i was one of them, graduated from futo at 22, had the world in front of me, but then came these guys with body hugs, and black v boots, fucking all the good girls in town and making alot of noise cus they came from ABROAD, i wanted to be like them , apart from the body hug part, i did nopt even go to service, tried and failed once, twice then finally jetted out out our HELL, to anywhere but nigeria, only to discover that most of those guys where beggers in italy, factory workiers in germany, asylum seekers in denmark, telling stories like MY FATHER WAS KILLED, MY MUM BEHEADED, i mean you can imagine when one of the guys told me that i was going to work, and i dressed up in my shirt and tie, with polished shoes, only to end up at a hacking shop inthe middle of prato in central italy, shop owned by an ibgo guy, attending to no less than 300 abled bodied nigerian men and women per day, to go an hack in italy, or the girls go and prostitute, ehh!!
or is iti the almighty, God be great LONDON, where we will all jump into not even thinking about what the next day might hold or runing into your dad´s mate still trying to make it or husler, i mean i even tried to tell some of these guys that you could go to school and try to make something better of your lives, the said nope, cant do, ppl where telling me you just the ozgoooo, you no want husle, hack for street, beg for money, date our prostitute girls and promise them wedlock, so that you can feed thro their cunt making hands, or work in a farm, or a factory that rates your performance with a computer, while your bosses, kick your asses, and drive away on porsches, my point is TELL THE TRUTH- it is not easy, has never been, will never be, most of us left with business or visiting visa, what do you think will be waiting for those kind of people on the great beyond, i mean you guys in we too large Yankee and we too great UK, you are not the only ones staying abroad, the lies, misconceptions and the borrowing to come and spend attitude combined with the ´doing all that you can to make it cus ppl back at home are counting the minutes you spent abroad, is not what ppl need,
what ppl need are: if you go abroad without the right papers, you are stucked and in deep shit
all that glitters is not gold
dont sell all you have at home just to come abroad,
try and get an eduction here
get yourself onthe right track
dont forget where you came from
would i say nigeria is better than abroad, if you look at the life of an illegal immigrant in europe, us, aussie land or maori land, its hell, for a person who is legal, you can begin or start on the right footting, but the question is how many of us come to abroad legal, how many of us even listen to it, there are two types of abroad for a nigerian, the poor, non englsh speaking, no free schools, discrimnatory, eastern block, cummnist mentality abroad, the likes of russia, ukraine, poland, greece, italy, even some parts of germany, holland, throw in france cus of language there and all the other places that the blk population is less than 2%, and the other one is the english speaking, past glory, flashy, facky too good to be true, all is well, weastern part of the world, uk, yankee land, canada, all all the rest, plus antartica cus we will soon be going there as soon as they begin to have an embassey, the question that we should be asking ourselves´, is how can we help to inform more nigerians, cus we that have gone abroad have seen how hard or how bad it can get, you will not tell me that you have never had a bad day i8n your lives since you crossed over, instead of asking where is better, cus if you have all and thro it away just to come abroad, you will regret it, even if the electricity is on 24 hrs in your stomach and a machine wipes your asses, my only joy is that i am going to school again and will be finishing soon and will be making the best out of my life once again, cus the world is my home, i come from the world too, this earth, be it in nigeria or anywhere else, hopfully nigeria
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by brownbonno(m): 11:37am On Jul 26, 2008
carnal:

@damsy07, look i am very surprise that we still have ppeople like you who believe abroad is better than naija, i have been to over 15 countries in the course of my working for one of the biggest oil companies in the world operating in naija i have met friends who left naija early enough as at when we graduated in 2000,but the question now what are they doing abroad?i am 100% comfortable here at home, i might not be rich but atleast i don't have to wash dead bodies,sweep,clean glasses or even arrange fake marriages all in the name of stabilizing,yes they all went abroad before me but they are either just in one country and never moved,i am home and have gone way far ahead i cried when i met a medical doctor who clean shoe abroad,haba health system in naija might be bad but i tell you if that guy happen to be in naija by now i am sure one these might must have loan him to set up a clinic,naija is improving it might not be the best yet but we will get there,go and read what GABY said,he actually said it all and let me ask a question if abroad is betetr why do i still go abroad and spend so much for my friends that has been there for years,they even envy me and i still wonder why

Carnal,this is the most despicable idea i have ever heard of a man who profess to have travelled far and wide and working with a multinational oil firm,above all educated with a university degree.It depict the type of product coming out of the decay Nigeria university system.
The topic of the thread is "Is life really better abroad ?".In your widely travel,its still difficult for you to see the difference.Thank God you work in an Oil firm that can afford to pay your lavishly,but you cannot see the reason why Nigeria public school children are at home for about 4 weeks.
You cannot see the reason why FRSC is discouraging people from Night travel.Tell exactly where you are Nigerian cleaning shoes?FYI every worker in the western country take dignity in doing their various jobs from the street cleaners to the CEOs.
Personally i am patriotic Nigerian but i hate situations people using their privileged position to down grade other,Achebe said"those who;s kernel have been crack for them by benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble".

@kemmy100

I quite understand your point,but Life is better abroad but not guaranteed for illegals.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by adamsy07: 12:29pm On Jul 26, 2008
Carnal,this is the most despicable idea i have ever heard of a man who profess to have travelled far and wide and working with a multinational oil firm,above all educated with a university degree.It depict the type of product coming out of the decay Nigeria university system.
The topic of the thread is "Is life really better abroad ?".In your widely travel,its still difficult for you to see the difference.Thank God you work in an Oil firm that can afford to pay your lavishly,but you cannot see the reason why Nigeria public school children are at home for about 4 weeks.
You cannot see the reason why FRSC is discouraging people from Night travel.Tell exactly where you are Nigerian cleaning shoes?FYI every worker in the western country take dignity in doing their various jobs from the street cleaners to the CEOs.
Personally i am patriotic Nigerian but i hate situations people using their privilege position to down grade other,Achebe said"those who;s kernel have been crack for them by benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble"
BROWN BONNO,THANKS,CARNAL IS JUST TRYING TO SHOW US THE BRAIN BEHIND OUR UNIVERSITY GRADUATES OF THESE DAYS.
MY ADVICE TO HIM IS TO STOP FEELING PROUD ABOUT HIS ACHIVMENT AND REASON WELL ABOUT THOSE WHO WHERE NOT FORTUNATE LIKE
HIM.
I ALSO THINK WHENEVER HE COMMES OVER HERE AND FIND A NIGERIAN DOCTOR CLEANING SHOES HE SHOULD STOP TELLING US THAT HE HELPS THEM BUT GO AHEAD TAKE THEM BACK HOME AND LOAN THEM MONEY TO OPEN CLINICS.
A LEGAL NIGERIAN WILL ALWAYS DO WELL.
ADVISE FOR THOSE COMMING:
DO YOUR RESERCH WELL AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE HOLDING A VISA THAT CAN ENABLE YOU WORK IN YOUR CHOICE OF PROFESSION.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by dreeldee: 12:04am On Jul 27, 2008
so many yarns. short answers pls
The quality of life Abroad is better but I'm happier back home than here. I'm relocating after hitting my target cool
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by damola1: 1:44am On Jul 27, 2008
It all depend on who is involved.

usually, it's how best you are able to manage the situation, though some society provide the basic infrastructure for better development of a NOBODY, but even at that, it still all depends on YOU, Your VISION, and how well you are able to manage the situation, and adapt to a constantly changing WORLD.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by iyeayo(f): 9:48am On Nov 01, 2008
Life is better abroad OOO! with the right visa, a good job (not necessarily white collar, gold mine technicians are very well paid). I left naija 3 years ago and I am enjoying my life here and don't intend to relocate back to naija anytime soon. grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by iyeayo(f): 12:01am On Nov 02, 2008
I dey follow kemmi100 on this one. if you are illegal, u are finished smiley
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by esonic: 8:13pm On Nov 23, 2008
Hi IYEAYO , how r u doing? I see u r living it up in Australia, that's a place i intend relocating to next yr,
I actually need to hook up with u as concerning livin conditions there,u know, typical accomodation,jobs, cities and general survival.I m a young medical doctor and i intend practicing full time in the aussies.All i need is info.Ur profile doesnt seem to have an email address, anyway, hit me at sonicdemilo@yahoo.com, I'll try to get in touch with u some other way.
thanks, I ll very much appreciate it.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MrCrackles(m): 8:16pm On Nov 23, 2008
Not in all cases

Life is all about ups and downs

The grass is not always greener on the other side

I thank God for my life!!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by esonic: 7:01pm On Nov 27, 2008
All of una wey dey in favour of naija as the place to be have neva experienced naija well, 'THE WORST PLACE ON EARTH', thats my description of naija! Nothing works here, nothing at all, !

1 Like

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by igbogolo: 5:20pm On Nov 28, 2008

@ carnal, I find it hard to believe you are telling the truth.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by pureminded: 9:57am On Feb 20, 2009
Life is 100% better abroad, even if you r overstaying abroad, it's as well 100% better than naija, only if you know what your doing and focused, you will surely make it , U need to see what guys are going through in naija,it's rough ,
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by stalliontp(m): 5:18pm On Feb 24, 2009
igbogolo:

@ carnal,  [b][/b].

@carnal- You visited 15 western countries and this is what you can come up with? , You are being blind to reality my bro!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 6:26am On Mar 08, 2009
If life wasnt better abroad, you can be rest assured that majority of Nigerians, including illegal immigrants would have returned back home by now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

US: Why We Rejected 44.9% Of Nigerian Nonimmigrant B Visa Applications In 2017 / Fatal Accident In Ondo State This Morning (Graphic Pics) / Inside The New Qantas Dreamliners Where The Pilots And Crew Sleep(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.