Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Affirmative Action - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Affirmative Action (3107 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Intervenes In OAU Crisis, Workers Suspend Strike Action . / Trouble Looms In OAU As Men In Uniform Get Ready To Zoom Into Action ! / The Polytechnic Ibadan Strike Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Affirmative Action by SEFAGO(m): 1:36am On Sep 23, 2006
;d
Re: Affirmative Action by damygurl(f): 5:09am On Sep 23, 2006
i'm assuming ur comment was 4 me but i don't get it since i never said AA was wrong. maybe d white peeps @ ur skool make u feel somehow but i'm telling u i just realized after seeing diz post dat i was d only blk kid in one of my classes. we all like family. it's a small class and we all get along and laugh and they've never made any comment to make me feel blk. i get dat it doesn't alwayz happen dat way, i guess i'm just fortunate not to have come in contact with any white person dat thinks he/she is betta dan blk people, and not all white people r raised dat way.
Re: Affirmative Action by WesleyanA(f): 4:38pm On Sep 23, 2006
SEFAGO:

Yes, schools use them for diverse reasons and not only for someones race. Your high school can also be used as a factor when gaining admission into college( students from very competitive prep schools and public high schools compete for a limited number of spaces) My roommate at my university attended a highly prestigious public school(the best in america) and he got a perfect score in the SAT's but he wasn't special in his school because everyone there got very high SAT scores. So, he got rejected at Yale and Harvard.In fact in my chemistry class I was talking to a student from duke university who came to my school to take classes. He told me that duke would probably start using quotas for my roommates high school because 25 students from my roommates high school got into Duke's freshman class. Anyway I got very high sat scores but most people think I got in because of the color of my skin. However, I don't think AA should be stopped

I'm 99.9% sure quotas are illegal. It's true that being a URM or coming from a state like Alabama or Missisippi (depending on whatever region it is your applying to) might give you an edge or make you look better but if quotas were set, the percentages wouldn't flunctuate every year (do the same number of students from that high school get into that Uni. every year?) even worse, people would sue. and, nowadays guys are minorities in colleges and universities so if there were quotas the gender ratio will be 50/50 rather than the ~ 60/40 it is at now.

Many colleges check to see your High School profile (i think that's why they have the CEEB codes) they know if the school is competitive/rigorous or not. They even check to see the classes offered so they know if you took challenging ones or not. So if your SATs are high and your GPA or class rank is lower, they'll understand. So i'll assume your roommate got rejected for some other reason. maybe he didn't challenge himself enough w/ the classes he took. He had the opportunity of attending a prep school and they probably expected him to take those. SATs are only a small part of the addmision process (State, huge schools are exceptions) your school transcript mean the most.
Many students from my school get into Brown and some don't even end up going there so i don't think there are any quotas.

I used to want to go to Duke but i kind of prefer a small liberal arts school now so yeah. I don't care about name,
us news rankings and all that as long as i learn as much as i can and my future employers/ med school know about it, i'm fine.
there are so many good colleges so few people know about and i don't see why +25 people from the same school will want to attend one single college. of course Duke can't accept them all. lol

And about people thinking all black people got in because of Affirmative Action, you already said it yourself that most whites feel a sense of superiority so they probably assume all blacks are dumb anyway and even if Affirmative action is eliminated, they will still look for an excuse out of their close-mindedness.
Re: Affirmative Action by SEFAGO(m): 4:55pm On Sep 23, 2006
;d
Re: Affirmative Action by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:53pm On Sep 23, 2006
Reverse discrimination =====> was all my prof could say when the topic of AA came up.
I then asked him how do we then tackle the problem if we cannot use quotas due to reverse discrimation?

Its blatent that the western culture is set-up to favour the white male, but at times it can get redundant when people cry racism.
As a black man or woman we know that we are predisposed to work 10 times harder then anyone in order to succeed in this society
It is sad but that is the absolute reality.
Re: Affirmative Action by damygurl(f): 9:53pm On Sep 23, 2006
i never said you said they were. u said And you assume people in your school don't care abaout race.. yea they don't.
quoting u now u said I don't think you are getting the idea. I don't think affirmative action is wrong. we on d same page. i don't think it's wrong either.
Re: Affirmative Action by nferyn(m): 9:58pm On Sep 23, 2006
JosBoy4Lif:

Reverse discrimination =====> was all my prof could say when the topic of AA came up.
I then asked him how do we then tackle the problem if we cannot use quotas due to reverse discrimation?
Most whites are ignorant when it comes to their privileged position. We (whites that is) are just hardly ever confronted with the reality of deviating from the implicit norm.

JosBoy4Lif:

Its blatent that the western culture is set-up to favour the white male, but at times it can get redundant when people cry racism.
It's mainly ignorance, but also fear of losing privilege.
Re: Affirmative Action by WesleyanA(f): 12:29am On Sep 24, 2006
SEFAGO:

I never said the people in my school are racist. I just said they have ingrained in their minds several stereotypes about black people. In fact all my friends are white and they are very friendly. And I made no comment that you were in opposition to AA. Concerning your Harvard and Princeton remark, I remember when I got into an ivy league school, someone I knew looked at my admission letter turned towards me and said "you probably got in through quota" . That is the idea I am trying to convey-quotas make good students look stupid. period. I just saw your post wesleyan A. I also liked Liberal arts colleges but my father did not let me attend the ones I got into because of the lack of name. Williams College was my first choice school.

Most whites i know and I'm friends with are nice and friendly too. It's just that, like you said, they have the black stereotypes ingrained in their minds.

I googled the quota system and found this:

June 28, 1978

Minority College Admissions Quotas Ruled Illegal

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that racial quotas for college admissions was illegal in the Regents of the University of California v. Bakke case on this date. Allan P. Bakke, a white applicant, was not admitted into the Univ. of California-Davis's Medical school. The university had a quota on the number of minority students it would accept. The Supreme Court ruled that Bakke was not accepted because of the quota and ruled quotas illegal. Despite this, affirmative action was still considered constitutional.
http://www.thehistorymakers.com/timeline/index.asp?string=1978

so apparently, colleges used to practice the use of quotas until it became illegal and i think that was why UMD was sued not long ago.
Affirmative Action is constitutional though and i understand why it is. Quotas just don't make much sense. i.e i don't understand it.

About the Liberal arts schools, a lot of people are obsessed over name colleges nowadays (even my teachers) and i understand  'cause i used to be. Just because the average american on your street has never heard of Amherst or Williams doesn't mean they're crap.lol.  They're actually better than some of the "name brand" schools, IMO. I like how they focus on undergrad study. One can always go to a name school for graduate study (at least that's what make them prestigious in the first place).
Re: Affirmative Action by SEFAGO(m): 2:57pm On Sep 24, 2006
;d
Re: Affirmative Action by Seun(m): 3:30pm On Sep 24, 2006
Private schools have the right to admit whoever they want to admit if the person is willing to pay.
Re: Affirmative Action by chinani(f): 10:10pm On Sep 24, 2006
Seun:

Private schools have the right to admit whoever they want to admit if the person is willing to pay.
They certainly have the "right" but it's not their inclination. Why? b/c private schools charge (ridiculously) high tuition & justify this by claiming a "better" education & a "better" educational community. That "better community" is considered to a diverse one in America & the rest of your beloved West.
Re: Affirmative Action by davidif: 10:18pm On Jun 24, 2009
I no go even touch this one since this is a very divisive issue.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Acca (study Pack) / Laggs - Lagos Anglican Girls Grammar School Lagos-allumni Club / Anambra State University Post Ume Is Out.view Ur Result.no Scratch Card Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.