Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,546 members, 7,955,021 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:37 PM

Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom (17371 Views)

Biafra: 8 IPOB Members Killed, 30 Wounded, 26 Arrested - Vanguard / Share/Tsaragi clash: 4 feared killed,30 injured,50 houses burnt / Three Killed, 30 Vehicles Burnt In Yoruba-hausa Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by LocalChamp: 6:11pm On May 02, 2012
13 killed, 30 houses burnt in fresh attack in Plateau
By Yusufu Aminu Idegu, Jos 18 hours 10 minutes ago
Font size:

No fewer than 13 persons were confirmed killed when armed Fulani invaded six Berom villages in Riyom Local Government of Plateau State.

Riyom is one of the four local governments under the state of emergency in Plateau and has been under frequent attacks by armed Fulani within the past two weeks.

Those killed between Monday night and yesterday morning, were from Tahoss, Bangai, Sopp, Angwa Werem, Danjol and Gwom.

Residents of the villages have fled their homes to take refuge at police stations and primary schools in Riyom, headquarters of the council area.

A resident of Gwarim village, Dauda Gyang, who lost his younger brother in the night raid, said: “Fulanis came in large number. Their mode of attack is that they will start shooting from distance to scare the villagers and as soon as the villager run out of fear, they will come and set our houses ablaze. From my village alone they burnt more than ten houses last night”

Gyang said, “I swear to God, these Fulanis who are attacking us are doing this in collaboration with men of the Special Task Force (STF). In the day time, the soldiers will come and raid our village and seize dane guns from villagers and at night the armed Fulanis will come in for attack; this is what has been happening for about two weeks now.

“Last weekend, a mobile police shot one youth three times and the guy died. The mobile officer called it accidental discharge. How can you shoot three times and call it accidental discharge?“

When The Nation visited one of the primary schools in Tahoss, no fewer than 200 displaced persons mostly women and children were there.

A former member of the Plateau State House of Assembly from the area, Emmanuel Jugul, said: “Governments at the federal and state level are not doing enough to protect its citizens. It is bloodletting everyday in Riyom and we have government shoulder with the responsibility of protecting lives and properties.

“Apart from government, the security agencies in charge of the area are not sincere. It is either they are not doing their job, or they are conspiring with the attackers, because they securities did nothing to stop the killings and the council is under state of emergency.”

STF Spokesman Capt. Mdhayelyah Markus, who confirmed the incident, said he was not aware anyone was killed. He said houses were burnt.

Markus said: “As a result of the incident, the STF commander has mobilised troops from other places as reinforcement to Sector 9 so as to be able to handle the situation. The commander himself has visited the area and addressed the refugees. He asked them to return to their houses with promise of adequate security. So, we are in control in the area.”

However, the lawmaker representing Riyom Constituency in the House of Assembly, Daniel Dem, told The Nation on phone: “The crisis is affecting my constituency directly. The truth is that five people were killed in the night raid, several others who sustained injuries from gunshots are receiving treatment in various hospitals. There are thousands of displaced persons whose houses were set ablaze.

“I cried to the security agencies on ground and they were telling me there is nothing they can do to stop the attackers because they are short of man power while the attackers are coming in hundreds.”

Dem appealed to the Federal Government to send in more troops to salvage the situation. He said: “This is beyond the state government because Riyom is currently under the state of emergency; the Federal Government should show more commitment in saving lives”

Sunday Madaki, one of the displaced persons, said the state lawmaker only counted the corpses in one village. He said: “From the list of casualties I have from all the six villages, there are 13 people killed already and over 20 others who were injured are in the Vom Christian Hospital and over thirty residential houses have been burnt. All these displaced persons have no home to return to.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/45148-13-killed-30-houses-burnt-in-fresh-attack-in-plateau.html

1 Like

Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Ejine(m): 6:36pm On May 02, 2012
My brain has become so numb from all the bomb attacks and mass killings, that I feel sleepy when they happen these days.

Anyway, I'm beginning to get the feeling our Southern media has got some deep bias against the Fulani on these Middle-Belt conflicts, cuz according to my cousin (camping in Jos), the Beroms are actually killing MORE Fulani than documented. And as far as 'Frags' (killings, body counts) go, it's roughly on a ratio of 9:2 in favor of the Beroms.

He says Beroms are killing the Fulani like it's going out of fashion! But these kkillings get very little media attention.
He told me this, only last weekend. And I've learned to tone down my anger against the 'Hausa-Fulani' (on the Middle-Belt crisis) since then.

1 Like

Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by 13volts(m): 10:50pm On May 02, 2012
That is the fact, they kill fulani chart away thier cattle. definitely you expect the fulani to be back with vengeance.
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by 13volts(m): 10:53pm On May 02, 2012
last week thier was burn fire in tahoos, guest what more than 30 cattle were rosted in a big burn fire and even the STF took part in the feast. Oh boy come see biroms dey chop meat and burkutu.
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by jmaine: 11:02pm On May 02, 2012
13volts: last week thier was burn fire in tahoos, guest what more than 30 cattle were rosted in a big burn fire and even the STF took part in the feast. Oh boy come see biroms dey chop meat and burkutu.

Are you trying to say . . .they were all stolen cows undecided . . .abi is rocking and partying banned in plateau state . . .

1 Like

Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by OAM4J: 11:27pm On May 02, 2012
na wa o!
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 02, 2012
undecided undecided
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Nobody: 12:36am On May 03, 2012
This attacks are beginning to sound so normal.
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by BlackBaron: 12:57am On May 03, 2012
Slowly going down the path of Somalia ?
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by NorthSharp(m): 4:48am On May 03, 2012
Ejiné: My brain has become so numb from all the bomb attacks and mass killings, that I feel sleepy when they happen these days.

Anyway, I'm beginning to get the feeling our Southern media has got some deep bias against the Fulani on these Middle-Belt conflicts, cuz according to my cousin (camping in Jos), the Beroms are actually killing MORE Fulani than documented. And as far as 'Frags' (killings, body counts) go, it's roughly on a ratio of 9:2 in favor of the Beroms.

He says Beroms are killing the Fulani like it's going out of fashion! But these kkillings get very little media attention.
He told me this, only last weekend
. And I've learned to tone down my anger against the 'Hausa-Fulani' (on the Middle-Belt crisis) since then.

It has always been a circle of merciless and senseless killings between the Fulanis and Beroms, in which innocent people, including women and children, are brutally killed by evil-minded and heartless people ON BOTH SIDES.

But if you rely on the Southern media as your sole source of information, then you would only hear about the atrocities committed BY the Fulanis, and NEVER the ones committed AGAINST them!.

This is what I wrote in February in response to a poster who erroneously thought, as you used to do, that the Beroms are ALWAYS victims of Fulani attacks, and never the other way round:

I would not blame you if you innocently believe that the killings have been one-sided all those years. Afterall, this is the evil propaganda that you have been spoon-fed for so long by the Christian-dominated Southern press.

But the reality of the situation, as many Northern Christians have been openly confessing on forums like this for long, is that the senseless killings have ALWAYS been committed by the two sides in the vicious cycle of blood-letting, right from Zango-Kafat massacres of Hausa-Fulanis, to Kafanchan killings both in the 80s, up to the latest spate in Jos.

What has changed is that with the increasing power of the digital media (the Internet, cellphone, etc), the blatantly biased Christian-dominated Southern press (The Punch, Vanguard, Guardian, This Day, etc) no longer hold the absolute monopolistic control over what information the world should know about such killings.

The notoriously biased Southern media would only let the world know the graphic, gory details of any such killings when the victims are Christians; but whenever Christians are the perpetrators and Muslims are the victims, they hardly report it, and even when they do, they would shamelessly twist, manipulate, under-report and misrepresent it to suit their evil sectarian, regional anti-Hausa-Fulani agendas.

But in this our era of modern digital media, atrocities of this nature can be easily recorded by a 'citizen reporter', and the graphic images freely brought to the attention of millions of people around the world instantly; thus the irresponsible, openly anti-Hausa-Fulani editors of those biased Southern media are increasingly being by-passed and reduced to mere spectators, in the way the world gets to know about this kind of barbarity
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by freesoul3(f): 6:31am On May 03, 2012
someone says he is not a thief, but everytime he passed by, something disappears!
why is it only fulani involved in all these troubles all over nigeria?
fulani vs hausa
fulani vs berom
fulani vs yoruba
fulani vs tiv

why only fulani? undecided

13 Likes

Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Korrection(m): 7:48am On May 03, 2012
Violence and killings are really becoming a normal thing in Nigeria...Is the President right that soon we shall learn to live with it?
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by seenoevil1: 7:52am On May 03, 2012
20YEARS FROM NOW THE BEROM TRIBE COULD BECOME EXTINCT . THEY ARE NOW AN ENDANGERED TRIBE
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Nobody: 8:07am On May 03, 2012
fulani again?
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by kay1one(m): 8:08am On May 03, 2012
THIS THING BETTER BE CONTROLLED NOW BEFORE IT GETS OUT OF HAND! NA PLAY PLAY DEY CAUSE WAHALA OH!
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by honeric01(m): 8:10am On May 03, 2012
I always believe that the southern media are against anything hausa, fulani or "muslim"

Do you mean Fulanis aren't attacked or killed? i don't understand this. i am yet to hear any reporting on fulanis being killed in Plateau.

Why did they have to send some 4,000 displaced fulanis to cross river if nothing happened to them where they use to live?

I am from the south but i am not easily swayed.
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Phillfree(m): 8:13am On May 03, 2012
For all I know, the fulanis will soon be eliminated in the middle belt region. They like trouble, they will bring their cattle to eat ur crops and when you complain u re dead, hit their cow why drivin on the highway and u re history. They re even the ones robbing in Taraba state nowadays.

1 Like

Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Deprofessional(m): 8:16am On May 03, 2012
I am an Igbo man. Honestly I regret voting GEJ. he is Nigeria's all time worst president.
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by onyewec3: 8:19am On May 03, 2012
free_soul: someone says he is not a thief, but everytime he passed by, something disappears!
fulani vs hausa
fulani vs berom
fulani vs yoruba
fulani vs tiv

This is the only question nobody seem to find answer to.those saying,southern media releases false story wit respect to violence regarding fulani pple!pls answer the question o
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by lightheart(m): 8:21am On May 03, 2012
LocalChamp: 13 killed, 30 houses burnt in fresh attack in Plateau
By Yusufu Aminu Idegu, Jos 18 hours 10 minutes ago
Font size:

".......
STF Spokesman Capt. Mdhayelyah Markus, who confirmed the incident, said he was not aware anyone was killed. He said houses were burnt

......”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/45148-13-killed-30-houses-burnt-in-fresh-attack-in-plateau.html
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Mynd44: 8:21am On May 03, 2012
Better get your gun, better get your vest
cos in plateau its the wild wild west
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by leasalonga: 8:26am On May 03, 2012
Hi
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by noiseless: 8:30am On May 03, 2012
There is nothing like the southern media this or that, when the fulanis attacked Yorubas in their land does it mean that the Yorubas are killing them more, and the "southern media" are under reporting the attack against the fulanis? ofcours not, so when you go benue and murder people then you got to ogun you murder people, everywhere you go people get murdered then you are nothing but a crafty murderer who will do anything to claim he is the victim. However the problem in this "country", has always been lack of admiting wrongs done against other people or the wrongs being done against other people, and at the same time trying to force them to forgive those who offended them.

1 Like

Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Nobody: 8:34am On May 03, 2012
this country as got to divide o.....
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by maclatunji: 8:53am On May 03, 2012
Fulani are nomadic pasturalists who are almost condemned to clash with local farmers wherever they go. This is exacerbated by the fact that they do not recognise any governmental authority except their chiefs. It is the job of the government to monitor, disarm them and regulate their activities.

Sometimes they will be victims, sometimes they will be the culprits. Either way, government has to manage them and the other communities they are in conflict with.
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Omexonomy: 8:54am On May 03, 2012
free_soul: someone says he is not a thief, but everytime he passed by, something disappears!
fulani vs hausa
fulani vs berom
fulani vs yoruba
fulani vs tiv

somebody should please give us a sincere answer
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by TheArbiter: 8:55am On May 03, 2012
Has anybody ever questioned why its always Beroms against the Fulani and Hausa? Is it evident to all that there are more than 30 tribes on the plateau but only one is significantly involved in the so called ethnic-religious crisis?

True, lives have been lost on both sides of the ethnic-religious divide in the plateau crisis. But i find it suspicious that out of the over 30 tribes on the plateau, only one has a serious beef with the Fulani. Even the Tivs rarely have violence on the scale we see on the plateau despite their face offs with the Fulani. After the cannibalism they displayed of recent, i have have written off the Beroms off my list of civilized people and i stand to be corrected.

The Nigerian press has always been biased since inception along north-south, ethnic and religious lines. Infact, i rarely distinguish any difference between reports in papers and the NTA. Everything you read on newspapers is to be considered false or twisted until proven otherwise. That has been my attitude to newspapers and has been proven true 60% of the time. As a matter of fact irresponsible journalism can be adduced as the catalyst for a lot of the violence in the Nigerian state since inception (coupled with other factors).

It is only when you think that you liberate yourself. Passions and emotions has always been the African way of doing things and not logical thinking. It may be an intense way of life but it always fails 90% of the time.

May you see beyond your passions and emotions to the kernel of the idea i wanted to share through this post.

2 Likes

Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Omexonomy: 8:58am On May 03, 2012
leasalonga: Hi
WHAT AR U DOINIG IN THE HOUSE ARE U UNDER TEN YEARS OF AGE
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by Nobody: 8:59am On May 03, 2012
Please where is Gowon!!!

1 Like

Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by onyewec3: 9:05am On May 03, 2012
The Arbiter: Has anybody ever questioned why its always Beroms against the Fulani and Hausa? Is it evident to all that there are more than 30 tribes on the plateau but only one is significantly involved in the so called ethnic-religious crisis?

True, lives have been lost on both sides of the ethnic-religious divide in the plateau crisis. But i find it suspicious that out of the over 30 tribes on the plateau, only one has a serious beef with the Fulani. Even the Tivs rarely have violence on the scale we see on the plateau despite their face offs with the Fulani. After the cannibalism they displayed of recent, i have have written off the Beroms off my list of civilized people and i stand to be corrected.

The Nigerian press has always been biased since inception along north-south, ethnic and religious lines. Infact, i rarely distinguish any difference between reports in papers and the NTA. Everything you read on newspapers is to be considered false or twisted until proven otherwise. That has been my attitude to newspapers and has been proven true 60% of the time. As a matter of fact irresponsible journalism can be adduced as the catalyst for a lot of the violence in the Nigerian state since inception (coupled with other factors).

It is only when you think that you liberate yourself. Passions and emotions has always been the African way of doing things and not logical thinking. It may be an intense way of life but it always fails 90% of the time.

May you see beyond your passions and emotions to the kernel of the idea i wanted to share through this post.

My broda,u neva answer the question wey dem ask you.dats y pple lyk u dey fail simple question.why always hausa/fulani associated with violence and killings every part of Nigeria?
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by PHIPEX(m): 9:06am On May 03, 2012
fulani vs hausa
fulani vs berom
fulani vs yoruba
fulani vs tiv

Am speechless, but all these seem so normal to me these days. My psychology is gradually being twisted by violent reports, Lord help me.
Re: Violence In Plateau State: 13 Killed, 30 Houses Burnt In Berom Villages, Riyom by onyewec3: 9:10am On May 03, 2012
kcswat: Please where is Gowon!!!
I guess he's somewhere feeling happy at what is happening to his pple.most foolish Nigerian military president

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Leader, Ndoma-egba Set To Defect To APC / APC Accuses Saraki Of Masterminding NASS Siege / Hamzat Is A Compulsive Liar who has no character for public , Says Jonathan Aide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.