Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest (11880 Views)

Rashidi Yekinis Daughter To Meet Portugal Club After Nigeria ‘ignored’ Her / Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? / Who Do You Consider The Best Nigerian Footballer Ever? * (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by dayokanu(m): 12:56am On May 05, 2012
This is a tribute to Our own Gangling Goalsfather Rashidi yekini

Which of his goals do you consider the best?

I know most people remember him scoring Nigerias first ever world cup goal but which of his goals do you consider the best.

Top among his goals

1. The blinder of a free kick scored vs gabon in the Sandy pitch at Libbreville

2. The goal vs Algeria in the 1993 qualifier in Lagos where he scored from almost the corner flag. Nigeria came back from a goal down to win 4-1.

3. Our first goal in Tunisia 1994 where he received a long ball from Oliseh, Lobbed the keeper and slotted it in. Nigeria won 3-0

4. Quarter finals Tunisia 1994 where he received a long raking pass from Oliseh Chested it and in one movement blasted into the net. Nigeria won 2-0

5. 3rd place match vs Cameroun in 1992 where he rounded the Camerounian keeper from almost the Half way and slotted into the net from a tight angle. Nigeria won 2-1

Kindly add any of his goals you remember

1 Like

Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by majour(m): 1:10am On May 05, 2012
FUNNY NOONE REMEMBERD ALL THESE WEN HE WAS ALIVE DO WE NIGERIANS ONLY CELEBRATE one's GREATNEX OR IMPACT WEN THEY ARE DEAD........ Jst sad....

1 Like

Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by Deyinka007: 1:19am On May 05, 2012
Not a goal, but his scissors kick vs Spain, France '98 that hit the bar... What a goal it would have been.. RIP.
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by dayokanu(m): 1:21am On May 05, 2012
Deyinka007: Not a goal, but his scissors kick vs Spain, France '98 that hit the bar... What a goal it would have been.. RIP.

If its about near goals then I think the one vs Egypt in Tunisia 94 would be among the best moves. Got a long pass on his chest, thighs and blasted it off the crossbar

1 Like

Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by Katsumoto: 1:24am On May 05, 2012
dayokanu: This is a tribute to Our own Gangling Goalsfather Rashidi yekini

Which of his goals do you consider the best?

I know most people remember him scoring Nigerias first ever world cup goal but which of his goals do you consider the best.

Top among his goals

1. The blinder of a free kick scored vs gabon in the Sandy pitch at Libbreville

2. The goal vs Algeria in the 1993 qualifier in Lagos where he scored from almost the corner flag. Nigeria came back from a goal down to win 4-1.

3. Our first goal in Tunisia 1994 where he received a long ball from Oliseh, Lobbed the keeper and slotted it in. Nigeria won 3-0

4. Quarter finals Tunisia 1994 where he received a long raking pass from Oliseh Chested it and in one movement blasted into the net. Nigeria won 2-0

5. 3rd place match vs Cameroun in 1992 where he rounded the Camerounian keeper from almost the Half way and slotted into the net from a tight angle. Nigeria won 2-1

Kindly add any of his goals you remember

He collected the pass with his ankle. I know because this and the goal against Algeria are the best goals.

I think the strike you are referring to is the pass from Okocha against Egypt, when he collected the ball on his chest with his back to goal, juggled the ball with his knee, turned and smashed a volley against the post. I remember cos my brain was very young and fresh.
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by omar22(m): 1:30am On May 05, 2012
The Volley against Zambia in the semis at Algiers 90
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by leighcon(m): 1:35am On May 05, 2012
That bicycle against Spain in 98 was actually outta this world considering that baba was much older then. By and large me still love that corner post goal against Algeria in '93.

With Yekee on the pitch, Nigeria was usually assured of at least a goal even if we don't win the game. No blanks!!!
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by femmy2010(m): 1:40am On May 05, 2012
He remains my best 9ja striker of all time.

1 Like

Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by franktolk(m): 1:44am On May 05, 2012

1 Like

Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by franktolk(m): 1:54am On May 05, 2012
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by franktolk(m): 2:06am On May 05, 2012
Rashidi Yekini being interviewed at Olympiakos...(listen to him talk )

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfACmyIqrmo[/flash]
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by franktolk(m): 2:15am On May 05, 2012
Yekini during training session at Victoria Setubal in Portugal

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzViwKWuaD8[/flash]
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by chucky234(m): 2:24am On May 05, 2012
All Yekini's goals were well taken,none short of best.
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by naptu2: 2:29am On May 05, 2012
One of his two goals against South Africa in October 1992. He received an impossibly high pass, controlled the ball in the air and blasted it into the goal.

Nations cup 1994 when he received a long pass from Oliseh, lobbed the keeper and headed the ball into the net.
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by Drlumi: 2:31am On May 05, 2012
The first goal in Tunisia '94. My opinion. The guy was the best!

[url="http://kudizone.com/blog/2012/05/05/tribute-to-rashidi-yekini-23-october-1963-4-may-2012/"]Tribute to Rashidi Yekini (23 October 1963 - 4 May 2012)[/url]
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by SuyaEater(m): 2:32am On May 05, 2012
I vividly remember than goal against gabon i was 10 years back then watching the match at my uncle's house....those were the days a super eagles match was hard to miss....rip yekini.....we wont have a striker like you for a long time
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by Ibime(m): 2:32am On May 05, 2012
My favourite is his headed goal against Gabon simply because that was the first time I had my senses. I was a little too young during Senegal 92 and dont remember his goals although I watched the whole tournament with my dad.

The goal against Gabon was pure class. At that age, it was amazing to me that you could height the keeper and collect the ball on the other side.

The goal I celebrated the most was his goal against Bulgaria though, simply because that goal told us we had arrived on the World stage. It was the first time I was seeing Nigeria compete against World-level teams and ma heart was beating like mad until Yeking popped that goal.

RIP Yeking!
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by Josh316(m): 2:50am On May 05, 2012
Please can someone explain to me why that Stoitchkov's goal was disallowed? what a blinder of a freekick sha shocked

RIP Legend Yekini cry
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by franktolk(m): 2:59am On May 05, 2012
Josh316: Please can someone explain to me why that Stoitchkov's goal was disallowed? what a blinder of a freekick sha shocked

RIP Legend Yekini cry

It was meant to be an Indirect kick (that was signified by the referee by raising up his hand )but Stoitchkov played a direct kick instead.
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by tarano: 4:04am On May 05, 2012
Amokachi is a selfish player...no wonder he sleeps at synagogue church...he should have pass the ball to Yekini back in that first clip against Bulgaria..
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by kombats: 4:14am On May 05, 2012
funny when u are dead how people start to talk gud abt u *smh*
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by Nobody: 4:33am On May 05, 2012
cant remember what number the goal was but Nigeria 7-bukinafaso 0,yekini scored a magical goal from a very very impossible angle,good old days,never missed any of the games at the national stadium then when SE matches were like national rituals
trek from akoka all the way to surulere to get into the stadium via the tinnubu axis,scale the fence,watch SE demolish whoever they played,walk home from surulere with people u dont know but u are all talking about what SE just did
chai,good old times indeed

1 Like

Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by naptu2: 4:43am On May 05, 2012
milehigh06: cant remember what number the goal was but Nigeria 7-bukinafaso 0,yekini scored a magical goal from a very very impossible angle,good old days,never missed any of the games at the national stadium then when SE matches were like national rituals
trek from akoka all the way to surulere to get into the stadium via the tinnubu axis,scale the fence,watch SE demolish whoever they played,walk home from surulere with people u dont know but u are all talking about what SE just did
chai,good old times indeed

Nigeria 7 - Burkina Faso 1

Yekini made an off the pitch contribution to Nigeria's success in that game. Just as the match was about to start, it was discovered that an NFA official forgot the Eagle's shorts @ their camp in Ota. The NFA were in a fix. They didn't know what to do. CAF refused to delay the game and if the Eagles didn't file out it would mean that the game would be forfeited.

Yekini suggested that they should cut the tracksuit trousers with razor blade and use that to play the game. The Eagles played the first half wearing the improvised "knickerbockers" while the official rushed to Ota to get ythe shorts, which the Eagles used in the 2nd half.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by Nobody: 4:47am On May 05, 2012
naptu2:

Nigeria 7 - Burkina Faso 1

Yekini made an off the pitch contribution to Nigeria's success in that game. Just as the match was about to start, it was discovered that an NFA official forgot the Eagle's shorts @ their camp in Ota. The NFA were in a fix. They didn't know what to do. CAF refused to delay the game and if the Eagles didn't file out it would mean that the game would be forfeited.

Yekini suggested that they should cut the tracksuit trousers with razor blade and use that to play the game. The Eagles played the first half wearing the improvised "knickerbockers" while the official rushed to Ota to get ythe shorts, which the Eagles used in the 2nd half.
more power and grease plus palm oil to your elbow,i remember very well,they had to cut their track pants,wow,naija don go far ooooooooooooo,those days when the national team actually meant something not the bunch of european prima donas who hardly get games in their clubs but come here wearing earing and start small shakara

2 Likes

Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by wakeupgian(m): 5:04am On May 05, 2012
Nigeria vs Cameroun @ Senegal'92.it was a classical goal 4rm Yeking.
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by phemmyfour: 5:14am On May 05, 2012
kombats: funny when u are dead how people start to talk gud abt u *smh*
Are u sure they did the same when Abacha died?
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by pappyshun(m): 5:28am On May 05, 2012
Yeah!Any goal scored by Ye!king remains my best ever goal...He is just the best goal poacher ever.

RIP Rashidi Yekini!May your gentle soul hunt those NFF/government officials who abandoned and never celebrated you while alive and would want to do so while you are dead.The labour of our heros past shall never be in vain
So patriotic,dedicated with a green blood in his vains.Mwy the good lord and true soccer fans alone celebrate your departed soul.
Activities at my home will be at half-mass in celebration of a fallen hero and that's my little contribution.
RIP!Ye-King!
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by phemmyfour: 5:30am On May 05, 2012
Opening match sen 92. He scored the match winner
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by BabaEleko(m): 5:53am On May 05, 2012
[size=14pt]omg! I still have visions of that France 98 scissors kick against spain. I wish that ball went into the net. That would have been my greatest goal of his considering how old he was then. I still picture how mad he was at himself for missing that goal slamming his hand on the ground and shit. RIP Yekini. You will never be forgotten.[/size]
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by naptu2: 6:13am On May 05, 2012
This was a save, but it's one that I'll never forget.

African Champions Cup (forerunner of African Champions League) 1988. Africa Sports of Ivory Coast vs Iwuanyanwu Nationale of Nigeria.

Thunderous shot from Yekini (of Africa Sports). No other African keeper would have made the save. But Iwuanyanwu's keeper was Edward Ansah (Ghana's first choice and one of the best African keepers ever). He made the save, but the shot was so hot that he spent the next 5 to 10 minutes flat on the ground.
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by ayusco: 6:38am On May 05, 2012
His 2nd goal (third of the match) against gabon in tunisia 94 bullet free-kick. It was hit so hard didn't even see the ball till the net shook. There is only one goal YEKINGNI RIP cry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Super Sand Eagles Qualify For Beach Soccer World Cup / Emmanuel Adebayor Signs For Turkish Club Istanbul Basakehir / List Of Highest Paid Nigerian Footballers Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.