Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,267 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

Causes Of Yellow,smelly Stone-like Lump In The Mouth. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Causes Of Yellow,smelly Stone-like Lump In The Mouth. (63701 Views)

Yellow Sperm Vs White Sperm / Major Causes Of Sleepless Night. / Tips To Get Rid Of Yellow Teeth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Causes Of Yellow,smelly Stone-like Lump In The Mouth. by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 08, 2012
Il

1 Like

Re: Causes Of Yellow,smelly Stone-like Lump In The Mouth. by JeSoul(f): 5:56pm On May 08, 2012
Yomieluv: I have
Always had this smelly stone-like lump come out of my•mouth,please,I want to know the• Cause,&any possible solution.please help
Sounds like you have Tonsil stones. According to docs its not harmful but can be a nuisance. If I'm not mistake the only solution is to have your tonsils taken out by a doctor. But see one first to determine what's best for you. Goodluck!

http://www.everydayhealth.com/ear-nose-throat/tonsil-stones.aspx
Have you ever discovered a white or yellow lump of material that seems to be attached to your tonsils? It may have been a tonsil stone.

Tonsil stones are thought to occur when bacteria, dead skin cells, and other debris collect and calcify on the surface of your tonsils. In most cases, tonsil stones do not cause problems, but they sometimes lead to bad breath, discomfort, and other worrisome symptoms.

How Do Tonsil Stones Develop?

Tonsil stones are still somewhat of a mystery to doctors and researchers, but researchers suspect that people who have had frequent episodes of tonsillitis are at increased risk of developing tonsil stones. This is because frequent infections of your tonsils make them more likely to have developed areas of excess fibrous tissue. This excess tissue on the surface of your tonsils can lead to the development of pockets and crevices on your tonsils.

Dead skin cells, bacteria, and other substances can collect within these pockets and crevices, forming a mass of debris. The salts in your saliva can cause the mass of debris to calcify, and form a "stone" of material that stays lodged in your tonsils. Tonsil stones tend to gradually get larger as bacteria grow and more debris is deposited and calcified.

How Do Your Know if You Have Tonsil Stones?

It is often hard to tell if you have tonsil stones, because they can be very small and easily hidden in the pockets and crevices of your tonsils. But when they can be seen or when they are removed, tonsil stones tend to be whitish or yellowish in color, and usually relatively small. The consistency of tonsil stones can range from soft and pliable to hard as a rock.

Most of the time, tonsil stones do not cause any symptoms at all. But when they do, symptoms may include:

Bad breath
Enlarged, swollen tonsils or tonsil
Sore throat Pain with swallowing
Difficulty swallowing The sensation that something foreign is lodged in your throat
Anyone can get tonsil stones, but they are most common in young adults who have a history of recurrent throat infections.

Diagnosing and Treating Tonsil Stones

Your doctor can usually diagnose tonsil stones by examining your throat or manually removing the stone. In some cases, an imaging study (for example, an X-ray or CT scan) may be required to confirm the diagnosis and better visualize the tonsil stones.

If your tonsil stones do not cause any symptoms or problems, no treatment will be required. But if you have a stone that is very large or is associated with worrisome symptoms (such as pain, swollen tonsils, or problems swallowing), you may need treatment. Tonsil stones are sometimes removed surgically, or if the stone is large and impacted within your tonsil, you may need to have a tonsillectomy (the surgical removal of your tonsils).

Preventing Tonsil Stones

The best way to prevent tonsil stones is to avoid developing pockets and crevices in your tonsils in the first place. The following steps can help you do just that, by reducing your risk of recurrent episodes of tonsillitis:

Wash your hands frequently.
Avoid sharing dishes, utensils, and toothbrushes with, and kissing people who have tonsillitis.
If you have tonsillitis frequently, ask your doctor if he or she recommends a tonsillectomy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Causes Of Yellow,smelly Stone-like Lump In The Mouth. by Coldfeet(f): 6:06pm On May 08, 2012
Chew one sizeable garlic with water gaggle and swallow do it once a day preferable at night continue until symptoms disappear. I had same sometime ago and garlic solved it.
Re: Causes Of Yellow,smelly Stone-like Lump In The Mouth. by dominique(f): 8:51am On Mar 15, 2013
I also experience it occasionally, always wondered what the heck it is embarassed. Tonsillectomy is the last option I would consider, I'd rather chew the garlic tongue.
Re: Causes Of Yellow,smelly Stone-like Lump In The Mouth. by Tobbey(m): 4:18pm On Aug 20, 2013
Same here tho..and it stinks AF embarassed
Re: Causes Of Yellow,smelly Stone-like Lump In The Mouth. by callola: 4:33pm On Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for the xplanation. I tot i was the only one xperiencing it. Worst is that i dnt even know how to xplain it. Am relieved. Let me take garlic
Re: Causes Of Yellow,smelly Stone-like Lump In The Mouth. by PrettyMizQdot(f): 5:24pm On Jun 05, 2016
Pls, afta d third use of garlic on d third day, how ll d tonsil stones b removd?
by fallin off at a tym, fallin bit by bit before d third day, simply dissappear or by goin into d stomach wen consumin food or drink.
Re: Causes Of Yellow,smelly Stone-like Lump In The Mouth. by Gigihealth: 2:26pm On Jul 01, 2016
Causes of tonsillitis are either viral or bacterial in origin. Click on the link below to read more on tonsillitis, the symptoms and medicine for tonsillitis
http://www.gigihealth.com/causes-of-tonsillitis-medicine-for-tonsil-infection/

(1) (Reply)

Doctors Remove Nails, Pens, Spoon From Stomach Of Woman With Medical Conditon / Between Policemen And A Mad Man In Lagos Traffic. Photos/Video / Man Eats Expired Foods For A Year To Prove Expiry Dates Doesn't Mean Much

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.