Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,587 members, 7,770,531 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:27 AM

Where Do I Start From? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Where Do I Start From? (2630 Views)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? / Where Do I Start From / I Want To Be Developing .jar Aps For Nokia Phones. Where Do I Start?developing .jar Mobile Apps What (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Do I Start From? by Santi222(m): 6:05am On May 10, 2012
Guys, I've decided to go into the world of Information Technology, programming and web designing to be specific. The thing is, I know absolutely next to nothing about these, but wont let that be a deterent to me. I am determined to do it. Please guys, I need your heartfelt advice here. Where and how do I start from? What should I do? Any useful tips that can set me going? I hear names like Phyton, Java,HSP, etc etc. Just gets me confused. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Master6(m): 11:29pm On May 10, 2012
If u want to start programming, u can start with python. U can easily google it. Go to their official website nd download it as well as many free ebooks to get you started. All those names u hear r just other programming languages.

A programming language is just wat u enter to d computer for it to do what u want it to do.

Good luck.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Santi222(m): 11:58pm On May 10, 2012
@ Master, thanks Man.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by naijaswag1: 12:15am On May 11, 2012
santi sounds like a name i know,did u graduate from umudike?
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Santi222(m): 5:39am On May 12, 2012
@ naija swag, no i did not.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by oloyedejamiu: 11:25am On Jun 01, 2012
start with Python. Its easy to learn.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Javanian: 4:21pm On Jun 01, 2012
How can you tell someone that is just starting to learn python...@op start with Html and css they are the foundation...After that you can move to python if you choose to..
Re: Where Do I Start From? by lordZOUGA(m): 8:56am On Jun 02, 2012
I started with C++.... And now OOP is my b*tch
Re: Where Do I Start From? by kodebin(m): 9:50am On Jun 02, 2012
Santi222: Guys, I've decided to go into the world of Information Technology, programming and web designing to be specific. The thing is, I know absolutely next to nothing about these, but wont let that be a deterent to me. I am determined to do it. Please guys, I need your heartfelt advice here. Where and how do I start from? What should I do? Any useful tips that can set me going? I hear names like Phyton, Java,HSP, etc etc. Just gets me confused. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
ICT,, WebDesign,, Programming.. For a Newbie,, I suggest u start One.. If its Web design,, I suggest html,, Css,, Php...
If its Programming,, I suggest Python or C++... Java is aight buh learning it alone without a tutor can Be Cumbersome...
Cheers...
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Santi222(m): 10:30am On Jun 02, 2012
Thanks a lot guys. Ur replies are appreciated a lot.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by ektbear: 8:23am On Jun 03, 2012
Start with python.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Trulie(m): 7:54pm On Jun 03, 2012
So a newbi like me without any prior knowledg abt programin or netwrkin can actualy tutor myself to being a programmer( and a gud one at that)..so what actualy do i need to start learnin this as am so eager to be like you guys.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by ektbear: 8:47pm On Jun 03, 2012
Tru_lie: So a newbi like me without any prior knowledg abt programin or netwrkin can actualy tutor myself to being a programmer( and a gud one at that)..so what actualy do i need to start learnin this as am so eager to be like you guys.

Acquire a programming book for beginners. Then start working with it.

I'd suggest starting with python personally.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by kodebin(m): 8:43am On Jun 04, 2012
Select a Language of Your choice... Go to www.tutorialspoint.com.. They've got all the Tutorials in Any Language You Want..

Cheers..
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Peterson1993(m): 4:45pm On Jun 05, 2012
Start with html jhoor. Start from web designing aspect first before going into advanced programming. It will make the whole thing easier. I felt the same way you feeling some time ago. But the fact is with full interest,focus and determination, the thing go de start like play-play but later you go begin de showay. Start playing with this website=> www.w3schools.com and web design and programming go de play with you
Re: Where Do I Start From? by ektbear: 10:51pm On Jun 05, 2012
html is really, really boring though

You can't do anything with it.

It is like someone telling you to start programming by writing documents in Microsoft Word.

To start programming, obvious as this may seem, it is best to start with a programming language. Not a language for organizing text (html)
Re: Where Do I Start From? by lordZOUGA(m): 11:49pm On Jun 05, 2012
ekt_bear: html is really, really boring though

You can't do anything with it.

It is like someone telling you to start programming by writing documents in Microsoft Word.

To start programming, obvious as this may seem, it is best to start with a programming language. Not a language for organizing text (html)
GBAM!!
Re: Where Do I Start From? by babihouse(m): 7:02pm On Jun 06, 2012
start from html/css and then switch to RUby and rails
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Peterson1993(m): 9:28pm On Jun 06, 2012
Na which one be ruby and rails again for programming. Am just hearing that for the first time.@OP Bro start from html ooo not with python... Use that tutorialspoint.com kodebin said. I seem to be liking it more than w3schools.com. Download html tools like html validator. It will be useful in the future. In tutorialspiont.com, download html toturial in pdf file extention format and begin with it in a visual form on your pc. Make sure you gat pc. Mobile wont take you anywhere on programming..
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Javanian: 9:44pm On Jun 06, 2012
Peterson1993: Na which one be ruby and rails again for programming. Am just hearing that for the first time.@OP Bro start from html ooo not with python... Use that tutorialspoint.com kodebin said. I seem to be liking it more than w3schools.com. Download html tools like html validator. It will be useful in the future. In tutorialspiont.com, download html toturial in pdf file extention format and begin with it in a visual form on your pc. Make sure you gat pc. Mobile wont take you anywhere on programming..

Thats all you need...
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Akeks(m): 7:41am On Jun 07, 2012
All dis one u guys are sayin is like speakin of chinese 2 me!!!
I share d same desire as my guy dat want's 2 learn programin bu what i'd want u guys 2 help me with is an affordable nd relyable institut wey GAG up well for dis course. If any dey 4 dis our naija.

God bless u all.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by kodebin(m): 4:03pm On Jun 07, 2012
Like i Said... You Dont Need a School To Learn Programming.. Dont Waste Useful Money... Use That Cash and Get a Laptop With atleast 220gb Hard disk and 2gb Ram and Processor... Then Give Urself 3months,,, Visit www.tutorialspoint.com... They've got all u Need in Any Language... They Even have Pdf files of any Programming Lang... Wish U the Best Bro..
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Peterson1993(m): 4:28pm On Jun 07, 2012
kodebin: Like i Said... You Dont Need a School To Learn Programming.. Dont Waste Useful Money... Use That Cash and Get a Laptop With atleast 220gb Hard disk and 2gb Ram and Processor... Then Give Urself 3months,,, Visit www.tutorialspoint.com... They've got all u Need in Any Language... They Even have Pdf files of any Programming Lang... Wish U the Best Bro..
GBAM..!! You make sense. You make sense.. Real waste of money. W3schools,tutorialspoint,html.net, nairaland webmasters and programming forums are enough universities to learn programming grin. Dont allow anyone to chop your money on any useless ebooks or cyber seminars ooo.... Yahooo yahoo guys full everywhere...
Re: Where Do I Start From? by abubaka101: 1:39pm On Jun 08, 2012
@OP don't push yourself. Start with HTML, you can understand it within 2wks. After that, (assuming u learnt from W3SCHOOLS) they'll tell you whats next to do. And don't be in a hurry, cause you'll see codes at an advanced level and it'll look gibberish (cause you missed a step).
Either ways Goodluck with whatever language you choose to study!
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Tisa: 2:02pm On Jun 08, 2012
I just want to say I appreciate u guys a lot. Its cos of guys like u that I visit NL everyday and also offer my help and advice freely to who ever needs it on dis forum. I know that Nigerians are the best people in the world and GOD will put those politicians using us against each other for their selfish gains to shame soon.

Keep this up guys.

God bless us all.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by ewom1028(m): 2:38pm On Jun 08, 2012
My advice is similar to one already given.Start with html.Then learn how to use CSS.
After that move on to javascript. From there PHP.
With these under your belt,you can dive into either java/c#.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Santi222(m): 12:30pm On Jun 09, 2012
Guys, thanks! I am starting with Html. The basics.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Trulie(m): 8:14pm On Jun 09, 2012
These are a few of the myriad of reasons i dont visit any other forum besides NL..tanx guys, you are d best.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Peterson1993(m): 10:30pm On Jun 09, 2012
Santi222: Guys, thanks! I am starting with Html. The basics.
I am not a perfect programmer. Everyone is learning....Initially, I never taught I could just three weeks ago. In fact I took programming codes as a complete zig-zag but are making real sense now. With just four weeks, PHP is making already making some sense to me.... The basic is simply playing with codes @ w3schoools.com or tutorialspoint.com. Having a pc would help alot. But where no pc is available, you can use any online editor. Where pc is available, practise the codes with notepad. Insert the code into the note pad, click FILE on top of the notepade and locate SAVE AS. Choose all files, and save your file with .htm or .html file extention. E.g Mywebpage.htm... Html is made up of HEAD and BODY tag surrounded with HTML tage. E.g
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>login</title>
</head>
<body>
<p>baba God noni</p> <hr />
</body>
</html>
Then you save as I earliar explained. Open with moxila of intenet explorer and you will see the product of your code on your web page. With that you have succeeded in creating an HTML document. The secreat is just constantly playing with codes, reading codes and practicing codes. Gradually with time, you wount even believe it's the real you anymore
Re: Where Do I Start From? by abubaka101: 6:53pm On Jun 10, 2012
Peterson1993: I am not a perfect programmer. Everyone is learning....Initially, I never taught I could just three weeks ago. In fact I took programming codes as a complete zig-zag but are making real sense now. With just four weeks, PHP is making already making some sense to me.... The basic is simply playing with codes @ w3schoools.com or tutorialspoint.com. Having a pc would help alot. But where no pc is available, you can use any online editor. Where pc is available, practise the codes with notepad. Insert the code into the note pad, click FILE on top of the notepade and locate SAVE AS. Choose all files, and save your file with .htm or .html file extention. E.g Mywebpage.htm... Html is made up of HEAD and BODY tag surrounded with HTML tage. E.g
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>login</title>
</head>
<body>
<p>baba God noni</p> <hr />
</body>
</html>
Then you save as I earliar explained. Open with moxila of intenet explorer and you will see the product of your code on your web page. With that you have succeeded in creating an HTML document. The secreat is just constantly playing with codes, reading codes and practicing codes. Gradually with time, you wount even believe it's the real you anymore
You can also write codes with your phones. Search for Jtextlite.jar on Google, write ur codes, go to where you stored the ".html" or ".htm" and open them. They'll automatically be shown on ur default browser.
If you think an joking download this file and see:

Re: Where Do I Start From? by stephenponti(m): 8:58pm On Jun 10, 2012
I can't just thank you guys enough. My desire to learn programming with your info here is awakened as possible reality. God bless you all for your candid tips & nuggets of advice.
Re: Where Do I Start From? by Peterson1993(m): 8:42am On Jun 11, 2012
abubaka101:
You can also write codes with your phones. Search for Jtextlite.jar on Google, write ur codes, go to where you stored the ".html" or ".htm" and open them. They'll automatically be shown on ur default browser.
If you think an joking download this file and see:
Almost everything is possible. Writting codes with phone is not an exception. It is very possible but using a pc for coding makes it more clearer and interesting. You will just see it the way it will always be on pc. For example, you may never know what a <title> tag is unless you use it on pc pc and know that it is just the name on the tab column. That title tag can never be visible on mobile phone. Apart from title tag, there so many other restrictions which a mobile phone can render you . All the same, using pc for coding is undisputedly better

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jumia Black Friday Web Scraping Program / State Of The Developer Nation Q4 / How To Increase Your Instagram Followers Using Kali Linux

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.