Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,418 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

Dressing Among Tribes - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dressing Among Tribes (13624 Views)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / Nigerian Tribes And Their States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dressing Among Tribes by mimifonwon(f): 7:31am On May 11, 2012
coming from ijebu-igbo on my dad's side and abia state from my mom side, with links to fulani people of the north, i noticed that each tribe have a variation of clothing within their tribes. I am doing a little research on this, so can you guys share your pictures of clan wears within each tribe. please share non precolonial stuff.
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by odumchi: 12:15pm On May 11, 2012
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by mimifonwon(f): 12:50pm On May 11, 2012
odumchi: Here are some links:

https://www.nairaland.com/582173/traditional-edo-attire-pictures Edo

https://www.nairaland.com/806789/traditional-eastern-ijaw-attire-pictures Ijaw

https://www.nairaland.com/647752/modern-traditional-attire-nigeria Modern

https://www.nairaland.com/478074/post-pictures-traditional-weddings Traditional Weddings

https://www.nairaland.com/931002/cultural-political-attire-different-states/2#10798857 State-by-state

https://www.nairaland.com/158215/pictures-nigeria-traditional-attire General

I already saw these, but thanks. I want something specific within each tribe. For example a man for ngwa clan would most wear ishi agu attire with the knitted red,white and black hat, while an igbo from anambra would wear the reg red cap, etc. So I just want a specified clan outfits in some of the tribes. p.s i dont like that you closed my other post about tribes- the link you referred me to though has a bit to do with tribal features, it has nothing to do with the context of my request- and i bet you didnt thoroughly read my post. anyways thanks.
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by odumchi: 6:53pm On May 11, 2012
mimifonwon:

I already saw these, but thanks. I want something specific within each tribe. For example a man for ngwa clan would most wear ishi agu attire with the knitted red,white and black hat, while an igbo from anambra would wear the reg red cap, etc. So I just want a specified clan outfits in some of the tribes. p.s i dont like that you closed my other post about tribes- the link you referred me to though has a bit to do with tribal features, it has nothing to do with the context of my request- and i bet you didnt thoroughly read my post. anyways thanks.

You're right. Most Anambra and Enugu clans wear very similar attire while the ones in Ebonyi, Abia, Imo and Rivers tend to vary. Most Delta clans also wear similar attire. I think Abian attire varies the most, out of all the states in Igboland. I'm also from Abia state, and in a while I'll post pictures of the attire of the some Abian clans.

I apologize for the inconvenience regarding your other thread. The two threads were very similar and it wouldn't have been fair to others. However, just because it's locked doesn't mean you can't continue your topic on the other thread. I encourage you to do so. smiley
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by Ptolomeus(m): 9:09pm On May 11, 2012
Odumchi dear friend, excellent contributions, as he usually does!
Thank you!
I know this is a difficult topic, but: why only cover pre-colonial clothing?
I can be wrong, but although very interesting approach Mimifonwon sister (who is very pretty), and I understand that aims to understand the differences between various groups, it would be rewarding a contribution of pre-colonial times (if possible) . I understand that this last detail would be less "influenced" by foreign cultures, and reflect a greater degree the essence of each group.
Is only an opinion. -

As always, my greatest affection and esteem!
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by odumchi: 5:54am On May 13, 2012
Ptolomeus: Odumchi dear friend, excellent contributions, as he usually does!
Thank you!
I know this is a difficult topic, but: why only cover pre-colonial clothing?
I can be wrong, but although very interesting approach Mimifonwon sister (who is very pretty), and I understand that aims to understand the differences between various groups, it would be rewarding a contribution of pre-colonial times (if possible) . I understand that this last detail would be less "influenced" by foreign cultures, and reflect a greater degree the essence of each group.
Is only an opinion. -

As always, my greatest affection and esteem!

Thank you, Ptolomeus. I will try and see if I can find precolonial pictures if mimifonwon changes her mind (although I don't think there will be many).
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by odumchi: 5:57am On May 13, 2012
@mimifonwon

These are how people of the Arochukwu subgroup dress. Some say our attire resembles that of the Efik. We also wear bowl hats as a political symbol.

Re: Dressing Among Tribes by lagcity(m): 6:06am On May 13, 2012
Odumchi, i think it would have been very easy to enslave your ppl back in the olden days becos of these thick ropes around their necks. All you have to do is just grab an Arochukwu man, tighten the rope around his neck and start pulling him like Malu. buhahahah! man pikin go wound ooo. grin
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by lagcity(m): 6:08am On May 13, 2012
mimifonwon: coming from ijebu-igbo on my dad's side and abia state from my mom side, with links to fulani people of the north, i noticed that each tribe have a variation of clothing within their tribes. I am doing a little research on this, so can you guys share your pictures of clan wears within each tribe. please share non precolonial stuff.

chei! i think ur family pioneered genetic engineering. yoruba/igbo/bororo. kai! grin
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by odumchi: 6:14am On May 13, 2012
lagcity: Odumchi, i think it would have been very easy to enslave your ppl back in the olden days becos of these thick ropes around their necks. All you have to do is just grab an Arochukwu man, tighten the rope around his neck and start pulling him like Malu. buhahahah! man pikin go wound ooo. grin

Lol, very funny. grin
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by odumchi: 6:25am On May 13, 2012
These ones are from the Onicha subgroup. Notice how these ones replace the white mboko caps and the father Christmas hats found in the Aro ones with red ozo caps.

Re: Dressing Among Tribes by mimifonwon(f): 7:05am On May 13, 2012
imela nwanne'm @odum, smiley, @ lagcity,A-ti-ara-ẹni-roni, ajá ọdẹ. i feel sorry for you, i bet your mother stole you from another tribe, cuz you can not be omo yoruba and yab without sense, ewu, ode..mtcheww. Yes I love my cultures, its not my fault i got different tribes that make me who i am, You just mad, cuz yours aint exotic and eclectic like mine. Infact do me a favour go to the beach in lagos and drown yoursef, if u need help let me know. Other than that have a nice day. smiley. The least you can do is give me pics of your clan attires.
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by lagcity(m): 8:05am On May 13, 2012
mimifonwon: imela nwanne'm @odum, smiley, @ lagcity,A-ti-ara-ẹni-roni, ajá ọdẹ. i feel sorry for you, i bet your mother stole you from another tribe, cuz you can not be omo yoruba and yab without sense, ewu, ode..mtcheww. Yes I love my cultures, its not my fault i got different tribes that make me who i am, You just mad, cuz yours aint exotic and eclectic like mine. Infact do me a favour go to the beach in lagos and drown yoursef, if u need help let me know. Other than that have a nice day. smiley. The least you can do is give me pics of your clan attires.

abeg face front. what's wrong with this one? mumu, so u thot the genetic engineering thing was an insult? I'm from Kwara state with Yoruba/Tapa/Fulani ancestry. abeg what is so "exotic" abt that. u beta go and find work or go phock a chinese guy so u can be more exotic. buhahaha grin

Re: Dressing Among Tribes by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:04pm On May 13, 2012
Umuoji Anambra ofalla pics

Re: Dressing Among Tribes by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:07pm On May 13, 2012
Ebube Igwulube Okodu,Ochilozuo. The Igwe of Umuoji. Cyril Enweze,during his first ofalla with his "Ogidi" crown.

Re: Dressing Among Tribes by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:25pm On May 13, 2012
Eze Nri himself !

Re: Dressing Among Tribes by Fulaman198(m): 4:46am On May 16, 2012
Traditional Fulani clothing

Re: Dressing Among Tribes by Ptolomeus(m): 5:06pm On May 16, 2012
odumchi: These ones are from the Onicha subgroup. Notice how these ones replace the white mboko caps and the father Christmas hats found in the Aro ones with red ozo caps.

Dear friend Odumchi.
Thanks for your continuing courtesies.
I stopped to watch especially photos Onicha subgroup, and especially necklaces.
The use of these collars, and in particular color, what they mean?
It is simply a custiòn aesthetics? Are there any ethnic background or religious hierarchy?
Anyone know what the reason is the traditional use of these collars?
Please excuse me my questions ...
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by odumchi: 10:27pm On May 17, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Dear friend Odumchi.
Thanks for your continuing courtesies.
I stopped to watch especially photos Onicha subgroup, and especially necklaces.
The use of these collars, and in particular color, what they mean?
It is simply a custiòn aesthetics? Are there any ethnic background or religious hierarchy?
Anyone know what the reason is the traditional use of these collars?
Please excuse me my questions ...

I'm glad that this has caught your eyes. What collars are you referring to? Do you mean the Onicha necklaces or the Aro neckties?
Re: Dressing Among Tribes by VOfficialR(m): 12:46pm On May 24, 2012
@Guys,
I'm thinking of som'n and i actually started working with my grannies (both)-, i'm trying to create a "virtual Nigerian musuem online". I basically dunno where to start at the moment buh i think any body with cute ideas about it should get back to me.
Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? / Why I Compelled Traditional Rulers To Undergo Drug Test — Emir Sanusi / Nigerian Hookers Invade Denmark Offering Better Deals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.