Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,982 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? (19452 Views)

I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe / Abu To Sack 289 Illegally Employed Staff — Vc Professor Abdullahi Mustapha / Unilag Vc List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by kaz4sure: 3:03pm On May 12, 2012
infact it was a sad news today in the campus, He died of cardiac arrest after which he was rushed to lagos university hospital in Idiaraba, how i wish we have the type of hospital where muamba was treated in Nigeria, it would ve been anoda news......May his soul rest in peace
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by upchair(m): 3:10pm On May 12, 2012
Dear Prof,
I am full of tears as i pay you this tribute.

A final full stop was put on your journey in this world at 2 AM this morning.

As your student (first & second degree) in the dept of comp. science you solidified my academic performance. I remember as your student back in the 80s, days b4 we sat for your exam ( Advanced Numerical Analysis) you would meet us your students over and over again to ensure we understood the course very well and re-assure us that we should not be afraid to sit for the exam. You know why you did that? It was because that was a reflection of how much love you had for people around you naturally, whether students or non-students . I never saw that virtue in any other lecturer of mine.

As your employee in your IT company back in the 90s the professional experience i got from you has taken me far in life.

As my father and mentor, you guided me on how to handle the challenges of life.

You were one of the most humble people I have ever known. You taught me to be humble regardless of whatever position i find myself in life because the same God that put me there can remove me anytime. Material things were not a priority for you. To buttress this, while other lecturers were driving in exotic cars, one would see you in your dark bones (dark non medicated glasses) driving your white old but clean VW beetle dressed up in very simple but lovely Ankara. Even as vice chancellor you did not change. You still used to cruise that beetle around. You would greet people with all humility regardless of however lowly placed they are. You would play and eat with your mechanics regardless of what any body thought. I remember the last time i came to see you as vice chancellor we left your office with you at midnight and you started cracking jokes with the man in charge of the elevator and at a point you mistakenly stepped on him and then you begged him not to be annoyed. As we got to the ground floor you thanked him for waiting till midnight because of you and then you tipped him. Even as VC when one was with you, one would not even remember you are the VC. I can never forget the degree of your humility.

In all this i learnt one thing. We should all learn to have a positive impact on people around us wherever we find ourselves cause one day we will not be around to be given another chance to do so. In other words, we should all play our part in life in order to leave this world better than we met it.

You came you fought you conquered. Now you have passed the baton to the rest of us. You are invariably telling us the ball is in our court. You could not be further from the truth. We will NOT let you down.

Aunty and the rest of the family need all the Grace and strength from God to handle this. The Good Lord will grant them the Grace.

May you continue to rest in the bosom of the Good Lord.

"Oga Mi Shofi" (that was the nick name we used to call you amongst ourselves) Adieu, Good Night Sir till we meet to depart no more.

8 Likes

Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by henry20054u: 3:33pm On May 12, 2012
we have were set to receive lecture @ DLI this morning when our Vice President broke the news to us which automatically canciled the week's lecture. RIP master.
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by henry20054u: 3:49pm On May 12, 2012
we were set to receive lecture @ DLI this morning when our Vice President broke the news to us which automatically canciled the week's lecture. Similar thing happened to Fabrice the Bolton player while on the field of play and his life was safe... infact holy Ghost fire all our curupt Politicians.. anyway, RIP master.
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by ichommy(m): 4:18pm On May 12, 2012
Rip Vc
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 12, 2012
Throughout the period I served as your account officer, I never saw a man as down to earth like you, you never had the air of office around you. I sent you a text on the 9th of May without response, very unlike you. I was laid off from my bank but you gave me cause to smile and get back to my feet. The last time I saw you, you were brimming with smiles and cheers at the NNMA leaureates annual lecture delivered by Prof. Wole Soyinka. You advised and offered me admission to pursue an M.Sc.
You are gone now but will forever live in my heart.

Adieu Prof. Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe B.Sc (Lagos),M.Sc (Lagos) Ph.D (Edinburgh), FCOAN, FNCS.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by sammirano: 5:44pm On May 12, 2012
papatosibe: The guy looks like Ajirebi.

Why did he die? Is there money missing?

God have mercy on you. RIP Prof
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by tomzman: 5:47pm On May 12, 2012
For those requesting for concrete source, the news is already on the school's website.
www.unilag.edu.ng
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by ibrowisky(m): 5:50pm On May 12, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]eya may is soul rest in perfect peace embarassedeya may is soul rest in perfect peace
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by juman(m): 6:00pm On May 12, 2012
Unfortunate
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by yuzedo: 6:09pm On May 12, 2012
Everyone has only good things to say about this man. Perhaps we should all strive to live our lives such that we are remembered for only positive things. I can imagine the invectives and celebrations that would have followed Prof. Wole Omole of OAU if he died during his tenure. lipsrsealed
Rest in Peace good Prof. . Sun re o!
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by chuquiz(m): 6:14pm On May 12, 2012
Your demise came as a rude shock. There are elementary facts of life not worth puzzling about.i wonder why good people always leave us?, who will i go to say hello to on the 11th floor of the senate building?. cry
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by WhoIGoAsk: 8:02pm On May 12, 2012
RIP
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by AFOLABISUNKANMI(m): 8:58pm On May 12, 2012
rest in peace
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by TawaTemi1(f): 10:28pm On May 12, 2012
Very hardworking man,full of jokes and love 2 make pple laugh. Down 2 earth,wao,Prof,ma bawon je okun,ma ba won je ekolo,ohun ti won'ba je lorun ni ki o je. Sun re o,Oluko mi.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by reindeer: 10:33pm On May 12, 2012
kaz4sure: infact it was a sad news today in the campus, He died of cardiac arrest after which he was rushed to lagos university hospital in Idiaraba, how i wish we have the type of hospital where muamba was treated in Nigeria, it would ve been anoda news......May his soul rest in peace

This is sad. . . .and the country is still sacking doctors instead of spending money to train and retrain medical staff.
I hope someday people will realise that all the money you have will not save you in an emergency.
God help Nigeria
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 10:41pm On May 12, 2012
SO SOON
RIP.
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by ismhab(m): 10:47pm On May 12, 2012
T.B. JOSHUA AT WORK.
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 12, 2012
Prof.... R.I.P. I know that God has a better plan for you. Adieu
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by jpphilips(m): 11:50pm On May 12, 2012
ayo jango: .

Get ur facts,he suffered a cardiac arrest and slumped,he was @ d school premises wen it happened.U cnt suffer cardiac while sleepin

are you sure about the bold quote?
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by Don1Dee(m): 3:19am On May 13, 2012
nelly4: now dt bros is dead i knw what will b going on in sum professrs minds now would be na me go become VC next........political profssss
Exactly...they are already calling themselves.
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by Don1Dee(m): 3:25am On May 13, 2012
Life...
Who could be next?
My Vice Chancellor....
I was part of those trying to pod-cast UNILAG 50th Anniversary World press conference Speech delivered by you on Tuesday...
You granted me audience on Wednesday despite so many eminent guests in the reception...
I was recommending how we can monetize the school website, the Lagoon Front & other cardinal issues...You listened avidly.
While going out many asked who is he - I even asked, who am I?
You asked me to come back on Tuesday next week...
Little did I know it was never going to be..
You came to the main Library yesterday-Friday to inspect the fire damage...We all came out to greet our own BABA..
When I heard the news around 5am this morning...
I'd hoped it was a dream, I was waiting to wake up and rebuke the dream.
I cancelled my Saturday sport...ran to the VC lodge...I was not satisfied with the murmuring...
I ran to LUTH...
Nobody is allowed in here please, they said...
Not me, I responded.
Sorry Sir, we'll ask the security to send you out of here, they added.
Not until I see my VC, I attacked.
I created a scene that upshot my joining your colleagues to see you...
When I saw cotton wool on your nose, eyes closed, hands straight as against having them trussed behind your waste....Sleeping...I remembered you once told me you've sleep for less than three hours a day more than the years I've lived...
Then I knew it was over, indeed OVER...
For the first time in recent time I went against my faith pedagogy...In all things MY FATHER'S WILL IS DONE No questioning - rather thanks.
God forbid bad thing I shouted for the first time in my life...God did not forbid because he doesn't act on man's instruction or consultation - not even from a filthy rag like me.
But death why shofi? It was not over for him...He has paid his due.
You only truncated myriad of Africa's youth dream...
Terminated a "real" 21st century Education transformation in Africa and Nigeria...
Prof worked to put UNILAG among the best one hundred Universities in the world...
He has almost digitized everything in UNILAG - a proving of his adeptness as a professor of computer science...
Prof work best and had the least and poorest PR, as a result of his "work not talk" principle.
He listen to students...
An exceptional leader per excellence and humility...Amiable, accomplished Scholar, and astute Administrator is gone...I know is GONE FOR GOOD...
I know God will grant you eternal rest in His bossom...
RIP Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Shofoluwe.
Adieu!!!

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by abiolag(m): 6:26am On May 13, 2012
Even though i didn't know u,all i've read about u shows d kind of man u were.may ur soul rest in peace
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by Dariye(m): 8:06am On May 13, 2012
Any veritable verification of
Prof Sofoluwe rumoured
demise? I am in a state of
metagrabolised melancholia. Prof Sofoluwe's passing is mere
ephemeral recumbent hibernation,
an empyrean paradisiac
rendezvous lies ahead. Heaven is
the terminus.
I condole with the UNILAG
community on the recumb in
quietus of the VC, Prof
Sofoluwe. The clerisy has lost a
solitaire.
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by Don1Dee(m): 10:13am On May 13, 2012
Dariye: Any veritable verification of
Prof Sofoluwe rumoured
demise? I am in a state of
metagrabolised melancholia. Prof Sofoluwe's passing is mere
ephemeral recumbent hibernation,
an empyrean paradisiac
rendezvous lies ahead. Heaven is
the terminus.
I condole with the UNILAG
community on the recumb in
quietus of the VC, Prof
Sofoluwe. The clerisy has lost a
solitaire.
We're mourning a Rare Gem here and you're pasting Hon. Patrick's gibber.
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by cosemiha(m): 10:29am On May 13, 2012
Everybody....this is to commiserate with the immediate family and the extended UNILAG family of our Father.......I remember days when I was the Vice-president of the great ULSU....when we had a great disagreement with school authority...you advised us on what steps to take...initiated our meeting with the then Pro-chancellor, ChiefAfe-Babalola...Gosh...oh death,,why are you so wicked......may your perfect soul rest in peace.....Amin
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by redsun(m): 11:41am On May 13, 2012
I wonder why "prophet" joshua didn't see this coming? or why its prediction has not been credicted to him yet?Odiodi!
Re: UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? by formular123triol(m): 12:40pm On May 13, 2012
this is a melancholy tragic event to the unilag community,i as a student nd nigeria as a whole.......words just cnt expres what u mean to me,so sudden demise.May GOD grant d family n commiserators d fortitude to weather d storm,ADEIU......my amiable v.c.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Delta University Arrests Man For Writing Exams For GF / Osun State Government Shuts Schools Indefinitely / Moyib Ayomide Adetola, TASUED Best Graduating Student 2017 (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.